Every great battle that could be has been

Avatar image for deactivated-5a937e573d769
deactivated-5a937e573d769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This isn't a battle thread but I think this is where it belongs, manga pumps out new characters all the time but western comics just rehash the same one's over & over and that's made this forum stale.

God_of_Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Just so you know, a decent majority of battles these days do involve manga/anime characters.

And why would we need to learn Japanese? Any manga that makes it "big" gets translated into English anyway... and even if they don't, there's still fan translations.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kyrees

this isn't battle thread material and you know it.

western comics may rehash the characters over and over again but they are not limited to one author as manga is. there's a different take on characters per author henceforth the need for specifications to it.

Avatar image for son_of_tomorrow
son_of_tomorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is in the wrong thread then bro, and they do have English manga. I love manga, but I get what you're saying by westerns comics recycling stuff. I guess if it isn't broken don't fix it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok you don't have to learn Japanese & yes about 15% of threads are western vs. manga but western comics are still stale.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Look at it this way 40+ years into character development and they still dont get all the info covered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Doesn't belong on the battle forums.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerforhire: stale in what ? basic interpretations like a manga does ? one author can only do so much with one character, what if there was more of it ? manga may have the bigger diversity in terms of different characters but they are severely limited with one interpretation per author.

notwithstanding the fact that the less popular mangas tend to be not seen outside the japan because of funding and effort required to translate it, manga and comics both have their pitfalls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

this isn't battle thread material and you know it.

western comics may rehash the characters over and over again but they are not limited to one author as manga is. there's a different take on characters per author henceforth the need for specifications to it.

Correct & thus my use of the word Rehash (Meaning) To put old ideas or material into a new form without significant change or improvement

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kyrees

@killerforhire: and one interpretation is ok ? that's boring, we don't see a cold blooded goku or a god goku. in comics, we see normal supermans (emphasis on the "s" because there's numerous versions that are equally interesting) and "god" supermans

the point is that manga has character diversity, comics has author diversity and the latter doesn't become boring with a right story line.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fail.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@killerforhire: and one interpretation is ok ? that's boring, we don't see a cold blooded goku or a god goku. in comics, we see normal supermans (emphasis on the "s" because there's numerous versions that are equally interesting) and "god" supermans

the point is that manga has character diversity, comics has author diversity.

Ok I can dig your point of view,it's just not for me. i'd rather have the same author come up with new stuff than different author butchering someone elses brain child.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerforhire: then you need to be more receptive of change because tasting one version of food becomes stale in the long run.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@killerforhire: then you need to be more receptive of change because tasting one version of food becomes stale in the long run.

Your argument makes no sense, im tasting different food all the time, your just putting different spices on the same thing.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kyrees

@killerforhire: if you see the same thing after it was cooked differently, then you're always expecting it to taste bad without even tasting it. tasting different foods might be good but can you even wonder how would it taste like if it was cooked differently ? that's my point. you are afraid of change and you're afraid that your fave get butchered without even seeing it differently

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 SC  Moderator

In my country of Latveria, our great and glorious leader Dr Doom does not allow for characters in magazines to be featured regularly, so all heroic characters are killed after only one story and so each week we get about 300 000 thousand new characters. All that are subsequently killed off that same week. Thus all your American and Japanese comics are like the stench of Captain America's knee sores. Too stale and stagnant for me, and this is why all you non fictional countries and forums are barren like Thor's womb. My advice, is grow a beard, learn Latverian and bow to the almighty heel of glorious and handsome leader Dr Doom and his fresh and clean selection of awesome original unique characters every week.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: that made me chuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@killerforhire: if you see the same thing after it was cooked differently, then you're always expecting it to taste bad without even tasting it. tasting different foods might be good but can you even wonder how would it taste like if it was cooked differently ? that's my point. you are afraid of change.

Your right I don't like change to the obsured extremes that new writers take old concepts to.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerforhire: and what is absurd to you ? something that breaks the comforts of your world too little or something that breaks the comforts of your world too much ? as someone who's seen change as interesting to a certain point and important to a certain point, what is absurd to you ?

Avatar image for drmantistoboggan
DrMantisToboggan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DrMantisToboggan

@sc: I'm physically/mentally paralyzed by your post.

My friend who can read minds is typing this for me,

You have essentially overtaken my brain and I cannot stand for such injustice, someday I shall smite you!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

In my country of Latveria, our great and glorious leader Dr Doom does not allow for characters in magazines to be featured regularly, so all heroic characters are killed after only one story and so each week we get about 300 000 thousand new characters. All that are subsequently killed off that same week. Thus all your American and Japanese comics are like the stench of Captain America's knee sores. Too stale and stagnant for me, and this is why all you non fictional countries and forums are barren like Thor's womb. My advice, is grow a beard, learn Latverian and bow to the almighty heel of glorious and handsome leader Dr Doom and his fresh and clean selection of awesome original unique characters every week.

my beard is almost to my belly botton & my hair is to my waist does that make me a candidate?

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

the point is that manga has character diversity, comics has author diversity and the latter doesn't become boring with a right story line.

Look, I respect your opinion, but since the dawn of time a good story (an actual story, not the ones we read in superhero comic books... I mean a story with a premise, a character development and a proper ending) is one man's vision.

The only reason we have multiple writers for the same character in Marvel and DC is because those aren't written for the sake of the story any more, they are just franchises that need to keep making money.

One author's interpretation of a character and a story is what consecrates a story as legitimate. This is the basics of writing theory and the way the human mind works. So, even though I understand what you're saying, you shouldn't say that having one author on one character is boring or limited... because that's actually how stories are supposed to be written.

You can say that you don't like a story that has a beginning and an end, so you like the endless franchise of a character that has the freedom of being reinterpreted. But the statement that one writer on one story limits character development is blatantly wrong. Actually, most manga characters get more development in the span of their single run than any supehero ever, who instead gets only rewritten generally wrong, without real development.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@killerforhire: and what is absurd to you ? something that breaks the comforts of your world too little or something that breaks the comforts of your world too much ? as someone who's seen change as interesting to a certain point and important to a certain point, what is absurd to you ?

I can tell this will be a never ending back & forth, we are both very stubborn & set in your ways so I will level with you & agree to disagree

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Outside_85

I don't get the point of this? Is the OP complaining about repetitiveness in Western comics and advocating Manga isn't?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kyrees

@matteopg: the point is it's still one man per one storyline. while it's interesting enough to see a storyline developed by a good author, one can't help imagine if that same storyline was interpreted by another author. i call it boring because a good storyteller can tell the same story on a different take and we will never know it till someone decides to jump the shark for it.

while i might agree that marvel and dc are doing it for the money, the fact that people buy it means they appreciate their different takes.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kyrees

@killerforhire: i'm just asking you that question. i'm not asking that to change your belief.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@killerforhire: i'm just asking you that question. i'm not asking that to change your belief.

it's cus i'm old & I like the classics the way they were.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: yeah I see your point. Still, my main issue with super hero comic books is that we don't really get character development. I mean, Superman now is different from Superman 20 years ago, but not because of character development, just because at some point a new writer came along and said "Well, I think he should be more like this".

Instead if you watch Trigun, you get a protagonist that changed a lot on his values and convictions, because he went through specific challenges that the person who designed him invented to show something. That something is the theme, the reason for the story to be told.

I think neither of us is wrong, we just want different things from our fiction :)
I would love it if I wasn't certain that in a year or two, what I'm reading about Batman won't be invalidated by the next writer.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerforhire: that's a good reason for you to despise change. you never indicated any good reason as to why you hate change

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: i'd agree on you on all points. that's the risk in such different takes, we will never know what happens next year, we just have to wait and see it happen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must say I've never been to disappointed in Batman but The Joker has flip flopped around so much I don't know what to think but i'll take it cus he's insane & likes to joke around.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@sc said:

You're the coolest Moderator. Where do I sign up?

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: I always thought it the process of mangas making new characters in their books is like a new author on a superhero. He doesn't get stale if it's a new writer with new ideas and mechanics in his head. And comics make new characters. Just not enough.

A multi author hero and villains over the years has more potential than a one author story in manga.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I disagree.

Their are still many great battles yet to come.