Ever thought about giving up comics and video games?

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JoeEddie

I dont know why, but this has been bothering me recently. I turn 29 this month and I still read comics and play video games. Anyone else in their 20's considered giving up comics and video games? I feel like I am wasting time and money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, because I don't feel like i'm wasting my time and money. Whatever I enjoy isn't a waste of my time and money as far as I am concerned. I enjoy comics. With that said, are you enjoying comics?

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll stick with comic books, but I'm beyond sick and tired of video games. I played them growing up (only when I had free time with nothing else to do) but I just find them more and more boring and extremely time consuming as I grow up

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Nah I'm perfectly happy with my comics and video games, regardless of what other people think of me lol

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't spend money on what you want then what is the point of having it?

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious how old everyone that posted is. I work a ton of hours and when I have free time, I spend it playing games or reading comics when I could be doing something to better myself

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@joeeddie: Constantly thinking of ways to better yourself insted of doing what you enjoy? I'm all for bettering myself, but what would life be like if you don't have a little fun every once in awhile?

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeeddie: Why can't you just spend less time reading comic books and playing video games there's no reason to give it all up.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a 19 year old boy who is in college and almost have no time for myself and I LOVE to read comic books.

fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 19 and I do both. However, just before my first year in college two years ago I slowed down on video games. Now I'll only play a game if it has a really good story (The Last Of Us; The Walking Dead; Beyond: Two Souls; etc). Or I'll play something like Skyrim for it's adventure/exploration aspects. Dead Island is the only Multiplayer game I play (gang beat zombies is amazing). And classics of course. SNES, N64, etc forever. Otherwise I'm pretty much done.

Comics I'll never be done with. I want to be a comic writer or artist. Despite being generally new to them, It's my passion. Writing in general.

So no. I'm not considering giving up them. I'll give it up once it isn't enjoyable anymore. Until then I'll carry on.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't get people who say this stuff

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I still find time for the gym & other activities in addition to games & comics. I just don't spend an overabundance of time on any one thing.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Like people have said, just so long as you don't base any decision on some perception of "society's" (too old to do them, etc -- that's rubbish). If you want to reduce the time you spend on them (to as you said, do other activities, "better yourself") - I'd say that's perfectly reasonable. I often go stretches where I do a ton of reading, then others where it's relatively barren (because I'm focused on other things that I'm entertained by).

I've essentially given up on video games (in terms of getting new ones, I'll play old ones once & a while), because they just kept getting more & more expensive & my family was, if anything, less well-off as time went on (ie: I'd feel guilty asking for them as presents, etc). Not to mention, my attention span isn't what it used to be & I can't see myself putting in the hours I used to put in on games. (& then, if there's not a lot of replay value - it makes the increasing price-tags even more "not worth it" to me).

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 years ago I spent to much time playing videogames now I only play a selected few and I am happy with it. It is about balance you can organize yourself but if you consider it a waste of money then stop and get another hobby.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I think about giving up comics all the time. There simply aren't enough things going on in comics today that I care about for me not to consider giving up comics entirely.

Games, though? Never.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I practically stopped playing video games but comics are still going strong

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does age have to matter in doing something that you enjoy?

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. Sometimes girls give me the gear, "Oh you read comics? That's like, soo inmature".

But I'd rather do something I enjoy doing then do things I know I wont like to do, like deal with douchebags at nightclubs or go out spending money every night. forget what other people say, just do what you like to do.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeeddie: Eh, I'd still build them up. If you ever want to have kids, both are great things to pass on, no?

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wow, I gotta stop coming here.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@joeeddie said:

I dont know why, but this has been bothering me recently. I turn 29 this month and I still read comics and play video games. Anyone else in their 20's considered giving up comics and video games? I feel like I am wasting time and money.

you're a little younger than me, I decided last year I was going to START reading comic books, for me they are good for filling small voids in the day where no other activity can fit. BUT I decided I wasn't reading physical copies, I guess I figure its more fiscally responsible for me to buy digital when the comics I want go on 99 cent sales on Comixology.

so in theory I pay 20 bucks a month for around 20 comics..too bad in practice Im buying my purchase for 2016s comics this week. im sure ill start catching up when there isn't many more older comics I want to read. I hope

as far as Video Games go, I haven't owned a console in forever... the prices are too outrageous to me especially considering the content can usually be finished off in a weekend if I only play an hour a day. I still have computer games from the 90s that I STILL haven't gotten over... games that took a year to view all the content... that's what I miss, that's why I don't but new video games... I do enjoy diablo 3 and Marvel Heroes now and then... but that's pretty much it.

yeah Im over cosole video games

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've thought about it.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

No.

Jokerpoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Jokerpoker

@joeeddie: do what you love, and love what you do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't with comics (although I might eventually drop everything except Green Arrow and TMNT), but I've thought about quitting gaming for the simple reason that I'm not that good at it (also, I think modern game systems are much more complicated than necessary).

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wolverine008
No Caption Provided

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've given up for the most part on video games. I only play old ones and RPGs. Dark Souls 2 and Witcher 3 are the only games I want. Comics..I just got into them in the past couple years so...no.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Comics are the one luxury I afford myself. I don't drink, smoke, buy expensive clothes or go out to with my friends. I look forward to hitting the shop every Wednesday and picking up my books. True that $25 every week could go into my savings, and one day it might. But for now I'm going to enjoy reading comics.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you just need to find some balance in your life, man. It's alright to take a break from comics or your other hobbies every once in a while. I do it every now and then just to try other things and keep life fresh - it's cathartic in a way. But just remember that one should always keep a fine balance between doing things that 'better yourself' and things that 'entertain you'. Neither is more important than the other, and everything should be done in moderation. At least, that's my two cents.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would not be here if I did

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gave up video games long ago. No regrets. Waste of time and money imo. Next time you want to spend $60 on a game, put it in the bank or give it to charity.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JulieDC

Everything I enjoy is a cyclical phase in my life. I lose interest for a while and pursue other hobbies but in due time, I always come back.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MakkyD

They're both forms of art and entertainment mediums. That's simply the same as saying you're too old for films or reading.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mekboy

Yes to comics, no to video games. Comic books stores just aren't accessible where I live and it's tiresome to keep visiting the only one just to find out that the book I want isn't out yet.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeeddie It's crossed my mind, but I can see myself in my 50's still playing video games and reading comics. But I can see how reading comics and playing video games can take up a lot of your time. You just gotta do what you enjoy, for me it's games, comics, exploring, walking, kayaking, etc... Just make some time to do other stuff that you enjoy. Maybe spend an hour ever other day playing games and reading comics or 1 day a week spend around an hour. Whatever works for you.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

No, because I don't feel like i'm wasting my time and money. Whatever I enjoy isn't a waste of my time and money as far as I am concerned. I enjoy comics. With that said, are you enjoying comics?

This. It's not a waste if you enjoy it.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like people have said, just so long as you don't base any decision on some perception of "society's" (too old to do them, etc -- that's rubbish)

That is exactly what I am doing. For example, I am pretty sure that my chemistry professor in college never sat around playing video games or reading comics. Now that I am out of school and working 50-60hrs a week, it makes me really question how I am spending what little free time that I have.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@joeeddie: None of us are directly in your shoes, but I think it would suck if w/e other thing you do in that free-time (only b/c it's "more grown-up") doesn't make you happy. If reading a comic or playing a game during your down-time makes you happy - I say more power to it! It's not as if you said you're spending 100% of the time doing it (ie: no working - you're working a lot it seems! (and that's very "grown up"))

And, I'm sure a lot of professors at some point enjoy(ed) a comic or video game. One can have both "entertainment related interests" & academic ones. If he didn't do "entertainment" related things much, it wasn't necessarily because they're the 'enemy' of academic pursuits - only because his passion was chemistry & he was busy with that. What's important is just having a passion. People who think there is something wrong with your passion are not people you should surround yourself with.

Anyhoo, best of luck with whichever avenue you take :)

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really have the time to play games as much as I did when I was younger, plus now that I'm an adult I can practically do anything I want unlike when I was a kid, add in a girlfriend and social life and all that I find it difficult to play as much as I used to, having said that I still play and enjoy games and don't see myself giving them up anytime soon. Comics on the hand I've basically stopped reading all together, and not because I feel I've grown out of them, but rather there's nothing I find interesting in them, I hear indie comics are good but the comic store and Barnes and Nobles near where I live only sells mainstream comics. I don't know maybe I'll go digital even if I don't like that as much. Can anyone here suggest a good mature comic for a former comic book reader?

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear to god its harder to give up video games then it is to quit smoking. I tried a grand total of 7 times. Still snipin dem heads.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've basically stopped reading all together, and not because I feel I've grown out of them, but rather there's nothing I find interesting in them,

So, how do you know you haven't grown out of them?

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TehStranger

@joeeddie: Well I haven't grown out of them in the sense that I think they're childish nonsense, I just don't find them as enjoyable to read as I used to.