Even an optimist can't enjoy Deadpool the video game

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I'm a big Deadpool fan, but honestly, they should not have given him a game unless they were prepared to have a much larger budget. Here are all of the things I hate about this game:

• The gameplay is terrible. It's not even the fact that it isn't as advanced as most as games, it's the core mechanics of it. Making the evade button the same as the counter button was the most stupid thing ever. The shooting is also terrible. It's impossible to actually kill a moving target, much more so when you have to deal with two bosses, an enemy buffer and the rest of the enemies.
  • The difficultly settings are terrible. You can go from a walk in the park setting, a you might die twice setting, or a you will spend more time pissed off than enjoying yourself setting. Not only this, but YOU CAN'T EVEN CHANGE THE DIFFICULTY MID GAME. YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT AT ALL. I'm currently on the hardest difficulty setting and it is literally f****** impossible at times. You take damage from enemies x90 whereas there are random no-name fodder that tank shotgun rounds with ease. You have to get up close to them, hack at them for 5 seconds and then execute them just to get ONE kill. This coupled with the sh***y aiming system puts you in a situation where you have no option but to jump around like a jackass and hope you don't die.
  • There isn't a "whole plethora of weaponry." What their actually is is this. 3 melee weapons. 1 fast, 1 strong, 1 in the middle. 4 weapons. Handguns, shotguns, machine guns, and a laser gun. Then you have grenades, flashbangs, landmines, and bear traps. The only innovative weapons from this list are the melee weapons and the laser gun. We've all played shooter games with these boring weapons, so why reintroduce them into a game where the only difference is the shooting is sh*t? And seriously could they not have thought of something better than a f***** bear trap? The only other weapons are basically a grenade launcher and a mini-gun you pick up from bosses. Woop-de-f*****-doo.
  • Long story short, the only other part of the game is challenge mode. It's sh*t.

Why am I posting this rant though? Two reasons.

1. My money has well and truly been wasted.
  2. They actually nailed the storyline and character, but since they've given me a difficulty that is completely impossible to complete the game on, and not given me a way to change it, I can't actually enjoy the story. I have to keep taking breaks from frustration. I'm at a point where I can either, batter through the rest of the game on this difficulty just to get the achievement, while going through an unhealthy amount of anger and not even enjoy the storyline OR go all the way back to the start and choose a lower difficulty, which will take me several hours of repeat gameplay to get back to where I am now. Or, alternatively, I can return this piece of sh*t and get back what money I can, pretend I never played it.

Unless you have the budget to make the gameplay great, leave comic book characters in comics. F*** you High Moon.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By 14NC3

@i_like_swords:

I was actually thinking of getting the game, but after this i'm not gonna give it a chance. Thank you for helping me not waste my money lol. The trailer of the game didn't look appealing either...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It was that bad?

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@i_like_swords:

1. They actually nailed the storyline and character, but since they've given me a difficulty that is completely impossible to complete the game on, and not given me a way to change it, I can't actually enjoy the story. I have to keep taking breaks from frustration. I'm at a point where I can either, batter through the rest of the game on this difficulty just to get the achievement, while going through an unhealthy amount of anger and not even enjoy the storyline OR go all the way back to the start and choose a lower difficulty, which will take me several hours of repeat gameplay to get back to where I am now. Or, alternatively, I can return this piece of sh*t and get back what money I can, pretend I never played it.

So basically your only complaint is... that you went ahead and chose the worst difficulty cuz you thought "Pffft It's deadpool it cant be that hard". Say have you played NES back in the day?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords:

1. They actually nailed the storyline and character, but since they've given me a difficulty that is completely impossible to complete the game on, and not given me a way to change it, I can't actually enjoy the story. I have to keep taking breaks from frustration. I'm at a point where I can either, batter through the rest of the game on this difficulty just to get the achievement, while going through an unhealthy amount of anger and not even enjoy the storyline OR go all the way back to the start and choose a lower difficulty, which will take me several hours of repeat gameplay to get back to where I am now. Or, alternatively, I can return this piece of sh*t and get back what money I can, pretend I never played it.

So basically your only complaint is... that you went ahead and chose the worst difficulty cuz you thought "Pffft It's deadpool it cant be that hard". Say have you played NES back in the day?

No, my complaint is that they haven't given me the option to change that difficulty. Now I'm trapped on a difficulty setting that is impossibly hard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3 said:

@i_like_swords:

I was actually thinking of getting the game, but after this i'm not gonna give it a chance. Thank you for helping me not waste my money lol. The trailer of the game didn't look appealing either...

It's enjoyable, but the mechanics are terrible. I think anyone can live without this game to be honest.

It was that bad?

Ooooh yeah

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@warlock360 said:

@i_like_swords:

No, my complaint is that they haven't given me the option to change that difficulty. Now I'm trapped on a difficulty setting that is impossibly hard.

I haven't played, or even have any intention of owning this game, but haven't you've thought of just restarting then repicking the difficulty setting?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trebean said:

@i_like_swords said:

@warlock360 said:

@i_like_swords:

I haven't played, or even have any intention of owning this game, but haven't you've thought of just restarting then repicking the difficulty setting?

I'm on the second last level...

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SideburnGuru

Are you serious?

@14nc3

My god, PLEASE don't let this be the final call to you getting the game. For the love of God, this is ridiculous.

1. Okay, this is a more of a "Man, I can't beat this game so the gameplay is horrible." The gameplay works fine. Is it anything incredible or ground breaking? No, but it doesn't need to be. It does what it needs to do.

2. "I PUT IT ON HARD, NOW I CAN'T BEAT IT." THEN CHANGE THE DAMN DIFFICULTY. It's on YOU for putting it to that setting to begin with. That doesn't make the game bad, that makes you stupid for putting it to that difficulty. Me and my friend both have the game, and I went over to his house where's he doing it on the "Hardest" difficiulty, and sure it's HARD, but that's the fun aspect of it. That it's not a cake walk. It adds a challenge, but it's not impossible like you're making it out to be. Damn. This is another "I CAN'T BEAT IT, so it's horrible." Arguments.

3. Okay, when you make it simple like that. That's like me going into Call Of Duty, and looking at the guns and saying. "Oh, there's only three. One that shoots normal. One that shoots fast. And one that shoots with more power. With like, two unique ones."

4. Challenge mode is fine. It's challenge mode, and it's fun. It's just like any other challenge mode you get.

The game isn't ground breaking, but I'll be damned if the reviews and everyone else keeps trash talking it. This game was never supposed to be "GROUND BREAKING" it was never meant to be an Arkham Aslyum. It was never meant to be anything THAT big. What this is, is a fun game starring Deadpool that you can sit back and enjoy.

IF of course, you don't assume you could do the hardest difficulty then blame the game when you start to lose. Because that's always a fair point.

This isn't the only game to NOT let you change your difficulty. If anything, this is how games should be. You want that difficulty? Okay, NOW YOU LIVE WITH IT. That's how it was in older games, and it makes perfect sense to me. "Oh, I can't beat this part. Back to easy!" That is the laziest shit I've seen gamers do, and even more so because the game companys make this an ACTUAL IDEA.

Just restart the game, and go to easy. Or take the time, stop being so frusturated over the game, and find out what to do. Other people have already beat it on the hardest difficulty. It isn't that bad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru said:

Are you serious?

@14nc3

My god, PLEASE don't let this be the final call to you getting the game. For the love of God, this is ridiculous.

1. Okay, this is a more of a "Man, I can't beat this game so the gameplay is horrible." The gameplay works fine. Is it anything incredible or ground breaking? No, but it doesn't need to be. It does what it needs to do.

2. "I PUT IT ON HARD, NOW I CAN'T BEAT IT." THEN CHANGE THE DAMN DIFFICULTY. It's on YOU for putting it to that setting to begin with. That doesn't make the game bad, that makes you stupid for putting it to that difficulty. Me and my friend both have the game, and I went over to his house where's he doing it on the "Hardest" difficiulty, and sure it's HARD, but that's the fun aspect of it. That it's not a cake walk. It adds a challenge, but it's not impossible like you're making it out to be. Damn. This is another "I CAN'T BEAT IT, so it's horrible." Arguments.

3. Okay, when you make it simple like that. That's like me going into Call Of Duty, and looking at the guns and saying. "Oh, there's only three. One that shoots normal. One that shoots fast. And one that shoots with more power. With like, two unique ones."

4. Challenge mode is fine. It's challenge mode, and it's fun. It's just like any other challenge mode you get.

The game isn't ground breaking, but I'll be damned if the reviews and everyone else keeps trash talking it. This game was never supposed to be "GROUND BREAKING" it was never meant to be an Arkham Aslyum. It was never meant to be anything THAT big. What this is, is a fun game starring Deadpool that you can sit back and enjoy.

IF of course, you don't assume you could do the hardest difficulty then blame the game when you start to lose. Because that's always a fair point.

1. When a couple of random guys with machine guns can: outshoot your teleporter, tank all your bullets, and kill you in 2 seconds when your teleporter runs out, along with the fact the aiming is crap when it comes to locking on, and the fact the evade button is the same as the counter button, it is safe to say the gameplay is flawed. I'm being serious, a couple of guys behind cover have been blitzing me. They outshoot your teleporter. You have to kill one at a time up close and it's extremely difficult and frusutrating, ESPECIALLY IN BOSS FIGHTS.
  2. Okay you obviously didn't read what I said. It doesn't let you change the difficulty setting. I'm on the second last level, and I've been going at this one part for a good 3 hours and it is impossible. It's completely halted the storyline and is frankly boring now. Also, it's not "adding a challenge", it is literally fucking mind numbing. Fair enough doing this on a second run through, but not giving me the option to change it from this setting so late in is so stupid.
  3. Hence why I no longer like Call of Duty games. Besides, Call of Duty has loooads more guns, attachments and gear than Deadpool so I don't see how you can make that comparison. And again, I'll say it, bear traps?!
  4. It's not great. It's just killing enemies. There's no added objective or anything interesting. I'm just doing what I've been doing the whole game but to a lesser extent. No playing as new characters or extra missons, just fighting enemies. Yaaawn.

I was well aware this wasn't meant to be groundbreaking, I'm just saying there are plenty of flaws. There's a difference between something not being great but being enjoyable, and something you have to force yourself to enjoy because of flaws.

Edit: Also, I never assumed I could do the hardest difficulty. It would have been nice if there was a "You cannot change the difficulty" warning at the start, but there wasn't.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru said:

Are you serious?

@14nc3

1. When a couple of random guys with machine guns can: outshoot your teleporter, tank all your bullets, and kill you in 2 seconds when your teleporter runs out, along with the fact the aiming is crap when it comes to locking on, and the fact the evade button is the same as the counter button, it is safe to say the gameplay is flawed. I'm being serious, a couple of guys behind cover have been blitzing me. They outshoot your teleporter. You have to kill one at a time up close and it's extremely difficult and frusutrating, ESPECIALLY IN BOSS FIGHTS.
  2. Okay you obviously didn't read what I said. It doesn't let you change the difficulty setting. I'm on the second last level, and I've been going at this one part for a good 3 hours and it is impossible. It's completely halted the storyline and is frankly boring now. Also, it's not "adding a challenge", it is literally fucking mind numbing. Fair enough doing this on a second run through, but not giving me the option to change it from this setting so late in is so stupid.
  3. Hence why I no longer like Call of Duty games. Besides, Call of Duty has loooads more guns, attachments and gear than Deadpool so I don't see how you can make that comparison. And again, I'll say it, bear traps?!
  4. It's not great. It's just killing enemies. There's no added objective or anything interesting. I'm just doing what I've been doing the whole game but to a lesser extent. No playing as new characters or extra missons, just fighting enemies. Yaaawn.

I was well aware this wasn't meant to be groundbreaking, I'm just saying there are plenty of flaws. There's a difference between something not being great but being enjoyable, and something you have to force yourself to enjoy because of flaws.

Edit: Also, I never assumed I could do the hardest difficulty. It would have been nice if there was a "You cannot change the difficulty" warning at the start, but there wasn't.

1. It's on the HIGHEST DIFFICULTY. If you worded it right, you put it there in the begining. I don't care how ridiculous it is, it's like me trying to say DMC[Remake] was a bad game, because I chose the difficulty where if you get hit about.. two times, you're down. Is it the game's fault? No, I chose it to be that way. It's like that with many games, except those games go the lazy and forgiving way, and give the player a chance to change their difficulty, but with no offense, I feel that's the stupidest thing to do ever. All enemies will be harder. That's how it works. Move on, keep trying, or just stop.

As said, I'm having fun with it. The controls and the aiming work fine for me. Maybe it's because I've played games of the similar mechanic? I don't know.

2. Okay, that's your opinion then. As I said, I'm fine with it not giving a "Do you want to make this game easier now?" Button. Like I said, I get it's hard for you. Believe me, there were challenging times in this game for me, which I truly wasn't even expecting because I did think this game was going to be a cake walk. However, it did pass my expectation of that. Again, you just have to start over. That's how it works. I'm completely fine with it not giving anyone an easy pass.

3. I'm taking it to the simplistic view that you did with this game. There are different options for your weapons, but you simplized it down. Also, what's wrong with bear traps? IT'S A DEADPOOL GAME. This game is supposed to be ridiculous, and fun, and a good adventure at the same time. Truly, it's given me all of those.

4. Okay.. that's challenge mode for alot of games. What, are we going to call the Batman Akham challenges bad? Because, y'know. A good chunk of those is just fighting enemies. You say what you will, but if that's the reason it's "bad", then so are the challenges in Arkham Aslyum, and a good chunk of them on Arkham City. It's pretty much a fighter.

Okay.. but your flaws are on you for some of them. I do agree, maybe adding a notice for the difficulty would've been fine, but technically speaking the game plays out great. The story is fun, it does justice to Deadpool, the gameplay is fun. I'm having a blast with it. I've been a fan of Deadpool, and I think the game gives justice to anyone who likes Deadpool, or just a crazy fun story.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

Oh... Now that its put like that...

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what will probably happen is you'll come back to this game in, like, 3 months. After 3 months you'll turn it on and finish the game in one to two tries. Because that's how video gaming works sometimes xD

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By 14NC3

@sideburnguru said:

Are you serious?

@14nc3

This isn't the only game to NOT let you change your difficulty. If anything, this is how games should be. You want that difficulty? Okay, NOW YOU LIVE WITH IT. That's how it was in older games, and it makes perfect sense to me. "Oh, I can't beat this part. Back to easy!" That is the laziest shit I've seen gamers do, and even more so because the game companys make this an ACTUAL IDEA.

Just restart the game, and go to easy. Or take the time, stop being so frusturated over the game, and find out what to do. Other people have already beat it on the hardest difficulty. It isn't that bad.

First I saw the trailer, and it did not look great but I thought I should give it a chance.

I saw a couple of game reviews that got me uneasy of the game, but I was still gonna give it a chance cause all reviews are like this.

Then I saw this review and I was even more unsure.

Then i watched some gameplay vids and it didn't look like the game for me.

Then I posted on the thread....

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru: THANK YOU! I don't know whats wrong with people these days complaining about every game because they aren't like skyrim or Halo or Arkham. Most games, especially games coming out towards the end of a generation, are just meh, because the production (like this game) gets rushed.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it makes you feel any better, I picked up the Thor game.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's not that bad..

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#19 god_spawn  Moderator

I don't hate the game, but it isn't something I'd buy. Definitely worth the rent.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I said, the only reason the guy really has beef with the game apparently is that he put it on too high, and now he doesn't like it not catering to him.

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By trebean

If it makes you feel any better, I picked up the Thor game.

The DS Thor game was a decent brawler, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_jackolantern

Was a ok game. Took me like 8 hours to complete on normal. And now il give it to a friend to play. What was everyone expecting from this game its a funny lil hack and slash game nothing more and maybe a lot less to other

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By frogdog

>Puts the game on the hardest difficulty

>Complains about it being hard.

This is why most games get dumbed down in difficulty

OptimusPalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look on the bright side, it could be worse. You could finally complete it on the hardest difficulty setting and then accidentally erase your save game data (like i did with Grid2)

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This is how I felt when I tried the Marvel Heroes MMO/ARPG. It's just been done so much better. How these sh***y developers get their hands on these awesome properties, I'll never know. I'm not going to spend a bunch of time and money on a sub par experience just because I get to be "Spider-Man." DC has been having a lot more success with their video games.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I know... I was so excited about this game preordered it and everything! I am just so disappointed, now they'll probably never make another one.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but it was an okay game still better than nothing

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#28  Edited By Teerack

High Moon Studios made the whole game in SEVEN MONTHS, all of your complains are now invalid. The game was funny and it was fun and has a ton of verity through out the story mixing in a lot of different video game elements in a way you don't see other games do.

Comparing it to Darksiders or DMC: Devil May Cry which are the closest type of games to what Deadpool the Game was it was actually pretty decent. If you actually play a lot of hack and slashes you should know what to expect.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

Preach it.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Everything the op said is true. That said, I love that. As crappy as the gameplay is the hilarity that ensues is worth it. To me anyways.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve said:

Everything the op said is true. That said, I love that. As crappy as the gameplay is the hilarity that ensues is worth it. To me anyways.

Nuh uh.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@teerack said:

High Moon Studios made the whole game in SEVEN MONTHS, all of your complains are now invalid.

Uh, no. Rushing a video game just to go for the cash-grab has never been a formula for success. Neither does it excuse a mediocre end-product. Wise up.

steijn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By steijn

hey, you say they don't let you pick the difficulty? you know there's a chapter select right? use it, you won't have to start over from level one, just from the start of your level.

don't randomly tell a game off because you are too incapable of finding anything

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Its Deadpool, it wasn't going to be a masterpiece and I don't get why people were expecting that. The game is going to be stupid and silly because that's Deadpool, plain and simple. If you don't appreciate his humor to begin with I don't get why getting the game would make anybody appreciate it any more.

1. I don't think a "whole plethora of weaponry" was promised to begin with and they're probably trying to distance themselves from Call of Duty.
  2. Shooting can be a little annoying but I can still hit moving targets without much difficulty.
  3. Bear traps are awesome! It's probably a joke item, but I still use it effectively. Its similar enough to a land mine.
  4. You can upgrade your weapons to kill them faster.
  5. Challenge mode is always shit, what did you expect?
@frogdog said:

If you found it hard to begin with, why did you continue? Or did you need an excuse to complain about the game?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Is it fun on the easier difficulties? I mean assuming someone isn't in it for the challenge do you think they'd like it?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RisingBean

@trebean: I never got an alert that you responded. I wonder why comicvine has my inbox all screwed up. Anywho. This game. And it sucked.

No Caption Provided