Essential Comics for 7/1/15

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Today, we celebrate... our Independence Day! Ok, so that's still a few days away, but when else can I forcibly quote the movie Independence Day? Anyway, it's time to check out what books are essential this week as picked by the staff of Comic Vine. Hello boys! Did ya miss me? Sorry, one more and I'm done... Welcome to Earth.

You can find the complete list of comics coming this week HERE.

Tony's Picks

SECRET WARS #4

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

In some ways it seems like we know how SECRET WARS will end. We have a good idea how it needs to end. We know what needs to happen before we can get to the “All-New, All-Different Marvel” continuity. At the same time, this is being written and guided by Jonathan Hickman. He’s been working on this for some time before we even heard a peep about it. It’s safe to say we have no idea what will happen as we move throughout this story.

We’re seeing some interesting developments. We’re seeing the different players take the stage with the revelation of some survivors from before the incursion becoming aware of what has been created and set up on Battleworld. There is a big feel to the story and we know this has to be building up to a nice juicy big battle with everything at stake.

Click here for the solicit. The preview is below.

DEADLY CLASS #14

No Caption Provided

(Image)

This remains one of my favorite comic titles month after month. Rick Remender and Wes Craig keep cranking up the action and continue to throw crazy twists and story developments at us. It’s refreshing having a series where you don’t know what’s going to happen. You don’t know what characters will be “safe.”

There’s been a great mix with the action, violence, humor, and even some romance. Things may be taking a dark path in this latest issue. With the “Holy $#!&” ending in issue #13, it almost seems like the only way it could go.

DETECTIVE #42

No Caption Provided

(DC)

We have a new Batman in Gotham City and it’s a little different from past “new” ones. We’ve already seen him put in a few different appearances in different titles (it’s one thing any Batman needs to be able to do). Each appearance has shown us almost a different look at him. With this series’ focus on Harvey Bullock and the return of Renee Montoya, we have a great angle plus some sort of crazy mystery going on within the GCPD.

It doesn’t appear that Francis Manapul is doing the art again, as originally solicited. Sure that’s a bummer but we have to move on. The story does have a nice hook and it’ll be fascinating to see how everything unfolds, especially with what we saw in the Sneak Peek in May.

AIRBOY #2

No Caption Provided

(Image)

Oh dear lord. There’s almost no preparing yourself when you read this series. As with the first issue, this second one opens with a scene you won’t be able to soon forget.

The idea behind the story is James Robinson (the writer) and Greg Hinkle (the artist) star in the actual comic. James had been assigned to write a series on the public domain character Airboy. What we see is a bizarre and sometimes disturbing semi-autobiographical look into James’ life. What James and Greg will soon discover is, somehow, Airboy is real and they will find themselves somehow transported to his world. It’s crazy.

As with the first issue, this is not an all-age book in the slightest bit. Pretty much anything inappropriate or what some might find offensive could happen.

A-FORCE #2

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

The first issue of A-FORCE was a bit of fresh air. We’re getting a nice mix of different types of Secret Wars tie-in books. This series does remind us of how many really great female characters Marvel has. If we can get so many books with a bunch of super-dudes, why not one with a bunch of super-ladies?

As with some of the other Secret Wars books, there is the mystery of how much the characters know about Battleworld and what lies beyond the boarders of their domain. The first issue did capture my attention and I can’t wait to see what happens next.

Click here for the solicit. The Preview is below.

Honorable: MICKEY MOUSE 1

Mat's Picks

PUNKS: CBLDF Special

No Caption Provided

(Image)

I've always been a fan of the history of comic books and how they've come about and one of the things I'm secretly obsessed with was how long the Comics Code Authority lasted and the rules contained within. It's totally nutty.

This week, the gods of comic books smile upon me as every rule from the CCA gets broken in the last issue of PUNKS: THE COMIC. As fun as that sounds, that's an insane task to break every single rule, so more than anything else, I'm curious to see how Josh Fialkov and Kody Chamberlain are going to do it all. That's a pretty big task.

PUNKS was a book, and I say "was" because it's pretty much done, that was a lot of fun, quirky, and a real stand out book because it was so absurd and out there. It sucks to see it go, but at least it's going out with a very large bang.

Crime... Terror.... Horror.

GREEN LANTERN #42

No Caption Provided

(DC)

The last issue left the reader at a really weird place. Hal finds that all of the Green Lanterns are gone, as Hal has become this bounty hunter, of sorts.

Everything has changed for Hal Jordan and the new direction is pretty freaking awesome. Robert Venditti, Billy Tan, and Mark Irwin take this book in a bold new direction with a bold new look and the first issue of this story really worked out well. It's actually pretty refreshing for the character, who felt like he got stuck in a little bit of a rut since the New 52 came around.

This issue promises that Hal will be hunted down by a new criminal gang and in addition, something or someone is turning entire worlds to stone. That seems like a pretty nutso baddie to deal with.

ACTION COMICS #42

No Caption Provided

(DC)

So far, throughout all the books is goes into, "Truth" has been a really cool storyline. More than anything else, I've been enjoying the ACTION COMICS side of things the most though.

While SUPERMAN covers the events before Clark was outed at Kal-El, ACTION COMICS covers the aftermath. He's not the same super-powered being we all know and love, but he's not completely de-powered either. Also, the final pages of the last issue leads up to something pretty nuts and Superman will be taking on the local authority.

I'm really excited to see where this story is going, above the other issues. Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder have done some amazing things on this book, with this character and they've delved into a lot of different genres as well. It may be a bit different, but it's really good.

X-O MANOWAR #38

No Caption Provided

(Valiant)

Guess who is getting married? X-O Manowar is, ya sillyhead. It's also the wedding of the centuries! This super-sized issue should be a lot of fun, since X-O MANOWAR has been a blast to read since the beginning.

Writer Robert Venditti is killing it, month after month, on this book, and I'm really curious as to how this issue will play out, as Aric shouldn't be flying around, punching people. He'll just be hanging out marrying a woman he loves, which has been a nice backbone to the book as the series has moved forward.

I've been loving this series from the start and while recommending a wedding issue sounds a bit weird, you still really need to be reading this, for real.

Check out the preview below.

Honorable Mention: NAILBITER #14

Corey's Picks

BATMAN BEYOND #2

No Caption Provided

(DC)

It's difficult to talk about how you'd like to see a little variety in comics if, after getting just that, you refuse to give it a chance. Such was the dilemma I was faced with when BATMAN BEYOND #1 came out. Gone were the cyberpunk trappings and most of the characters that had made me fall in love with the series originally, replaced with a grittier tone emphasizing despair. But the creative team managed to sell me, at least on the concept, and give me good reason to look forward to the next issue to see what would happen next. Dan Jurgens and Bernard Chang have a clear vision of where they want the book to go, and it's likely going to be worth looking into.

YEARS OF FUTURE PAST #2

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

The SECRET WARS tie-ins continue to provide some of the best WHAT-IF...? stories ever written, and one of the most fascinating has to be this look at the dark, distopic X-Men future. There's a glimmer of hope after last issue's guerrilla tactics seem to have paid off and liberated the mutants of their power-suppressing collars and giving them a weapon to combat President Kelly and his legion of sentinels. Stories of desperation and pulling out all the stops trade on a lot of intensity, which is why it was smart of Marguerite Bennett and Mike Norton to give this story a solid core of character development. I cannot wait to see comes next for this team, particularly with the darkness they're forced to confront daily.

RED SKULL #1

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

The Red Skull. One of the Marvel Universe's most loathed villains in the Marvel U and rightly so. He's a unrepentant Nazi behind the assassination of the superhero symbol of America. And that's just in the last decade. So Josh Williams and Luca Pizzari bring together a who's who of Marvel's most vicious villains, it truly is the case of sending monsters to stop a much greater monster. Seeing more extreme versions of characters like Magneto or Winter Soldier is a notion that is chock full of potential and setting them in a land of nothing but cabin fodder is just icing.

Honorable Mention: DARTH VADER #7

That's it for this week! Let us know what books are essential to you in the comment section below and we'll see you next week!

Avatar image for deactivated-6078d92bc3efb
deactivated-6078d92bc3efb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I can't imagine the X-O wedding issue will be great (I don't find Saana to be terribly interesting), but I'll be buying it and hoping for the best.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Red Skull, Green Arrow, Omega Men, Midnighter

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Secret Wars and Imperium are my essentials for the week.

Also picking up Future Imperfect, X-O Manowar, Red Skull, and TMNT.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just TMNT. I might flip through Green Arrow though.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

TMNT 47!!!!!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo Deadly Class

~MiB

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By John-PH

One of my favourite series right now

BIZZARO

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What!? a Mickey Mouse comic! Color me intrigued.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chew #49

Midnighter #2

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By MK5

Arcadia!

Groot

Little Marvel AvX

Maybe Spire

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I get Green Lantern, Aquaman, or Green Arrow? I can only pick one...

I liked all three issues last month about the same.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I can't believe nobody picked We Stand On Guard #1. Brian K. Vaughn? America invading Canada over water in the future? Anybody else excited about this?

Also, Secret Wars, A-Force, Amazing Spider-man, and Red Skull for me.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By mak13131313

My pull list for the week,

1. Action Comics #42

2. Batman Beyond #2

3. Detective Comics #42

4. Green Arrow #42

5. Green Lantern #42

6. The Omega Men #2

7. Nailbiter #14

8. Darth Vader #7

9. Princess Leia #5

10. Uber #26

11. Big Trouble In Little China #10

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why are you people not reading Airboy and Punks....... Those are two of the craziest comics out there.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not much this week, Secret Wars 4, Action Comics 42, and maybe Detective Comics 42. Not having Manapul on art makes me sad, especially with his dope covers.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Small week for me.

Bizarro #2

Flash Season Zero #10

I may start picking up Batman Beyond if it gets better. The first issue was decent.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Secret Wars

Groot

Ultimate End

Action Comics

Hail Hydra and X-Tinction Agenda are on my "maybe" list.

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow for me, and I want to check out We Stand on Guard #1.

Saint_Talker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthdanman: Green Arrow for me, and I want to check out We Stand on Guard #1.

For sure! I was going to say the same thing about We Stand On Guard #1. Sounds very interesting and a very fun to me!

totoroshaped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By totoroshaped

My pulls for this week:

DC

• Action Comics #42
  • Batman Beyond #2

Marvel

• Future Imperfect #2
  • Red Skull #1
  • Secret Wars #4
  • Years of Future Past #2
asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many exciting new books coming out. Really enjoying the big two at the moment. Really feel that DC are are doing well with their new books after how awful convergence was.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Given my current finances, I think I will just stick with Secret Wars # 4

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Action Comics #42

Bob's Burgers #1

Mickey Mouse #1

Lobo #8

Punks the Comic CBDLF

Satellite Sam #15

HempKnight757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HempKnight757

- Airboy* #2

After the first issue this a most.

- Outcast #10 Maybe*

Plan on reading the last few tonight.

Avatar image for thekidfliessolo
thekidfliessolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My pulls this week:

DC

• Acton Comics #42
  • Detective Comics #42
  • Green Arrow #42
  • Green Lantern #42

Marvel

• A-Force #2
  • Amazing Spider-Man #19.1
  • Darth Vader #7
  • Red Skull #1
  • Secret Wars #4
  • Years of Future Past #2

Dark Horse

• Barb Wire #1 (giving this a go, looks like could be a decent series)

Dynamite

• Spirit #1 (giving it a go)
  • Swords of Sorrow: Thoris & Adler #2

Big week and my wallet is crying as I am typing this.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 owie  Moderator

Damn, just looked it up and the last issue of X-files is going to be 8 bucks! I'm getting it, but c'mon.

Ashr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arcadia #3

Detective Comics #42

Mortal Kombat X #8

X-Files Season 10 #25

Amazing Spider-Man #19.1

Darth Vader #7

Princess Leia #5 (Of 5)

Red Skull #1 (Of 3)

Secret Wars #4 (Of 8)

Bunker #12

An expensive week with a mix of Marvel, DC, Boom Studios, IDW and Oni Press. Really enjoying Arcadia so far and I'm a bit surprised it's not getting any publicity.

@owie said:

Damn, just looked it up and the last issue of X-files is going to be 8 bucks! I'm getting it, but c'mon.

Agreed, I thought $8 was a bit pricey myself.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 owie  Moderator

@ashr said:

Arcadia #3

Detective Comics #42

Mortal Kombat X #8

X-Files Season 10 #25

Amazing Spider-Man #19.1

Darth Vader #7

Princess Leia #5 (Of 5)

Red Skull #1 (Of 3)

Secret Wars #4 (Of 8)

Bunker #12

An expensive week with a mix of Marvel, DC, Boom Studios, IDW and Oni Press. Really enjoying Arcadia so far and I'm a bit surprised it's not getting any publicity.

@owie said:

Agreed, I thought $8 was a bit pricey myself.

Yeah, for $8 there'd better be some pretty fancy content, or a quintuple-sized page count of something. I'm curious how they're going to deal with this comic "season 10" when they start up the new TV show next year--do you think they'll reference it at all, given that it surely only had a miniscule portion of the TV show's audience? I'd hate for it to become non-canon, they've done some interesting stuff with it. Not totally consistent in quality, but interesting.

galacticshrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

-Secret Wars #4

-Groot #2

-Princess Leia #5

-TMNT #47

and maybe Bob's Burgers #1

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I can't believe nobody picked We Stand On Guard #1. Brian K. Vaughn? America invading Canada over water in the future? Anybody else excited about this?

That phrasing read differently for me when I was reading it first time :P

mje360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Years of Future Past and Secret Wars for me.

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Pull this week :

• Airboy #2

• Chew #50

• Cluster #5

• Deadly Class #14

• FBP Federal Bureau Of Physics #22