• 58 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

We live in an age of amazing story telling featuring top talent writers and artists. This leads everyone to a problem: What comics are some of the top books to pick up? Well, we have that answer for you. The staff of Comic Vine picks out their personal essential books, every week, and lets you know what you should keep your eye out for.

To see a full list of this week's comics, click here.

Tony's Picks

BATMAN #41

No Caption Provided

(DC)

It’s always difficult to fathom the idea of a series not featuring the main character. Can we have a BATMAN comic without having a traditional Batman? The answer, of course, is yes. We’ve seen that happen before. It’s not a new idea. What makes this new is the way it’s happening and who (or what) is stepping into the spotlight.

With a character that’s been around for over seventy-five years, every once in a while it’s great to see some thing a little different. For Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, they’ve been working on the title since the New 52 started (with Greg taking off just a few of those). Changing Batman into a robotic/mech suit crime fighter sounds strange and is risky. Sometimes you just need to take a risk. With the current changes in the DC titles, why not take this risk now. Everyone has to know that someday/somehow the status quo will return. This is the first time we’re really getting a different sort of Batman that hasn’t come about directly because of something Bruce Wayne set up. This title has always been in great hands and seeing what’s coming up next is going to be a blast. Also, I’ve already read this issue and loved it.

CHRONONAUTS #4

No Caption Provided

(Image)

It’s the final issue of the miniseries. Boooo! There is something nice about getting a compact story with a beginning and an end. Mark Millar and Sean Murphy have given us an incredible and pretty insane time travel adventure story. We don’t often see time travel used (and abused) in such a fashion. Danny and Quinn have created a huge mess and abused the ability to travel through time. Now they’ve found themselves in a really bad situation. As much as I don’t want to read the end of the series, I’m really itching to see how the heck they can get out of the mess and how everything can be put back in its proper place.

This series has been an incredible trip. We’ve had crazy situations, plenty of surprises, and Sean Murphy’s incredible art. We can only hope we’ll get a sequel at some point. We’ll just have to see how this story ends and if there’s even room for one.

BATMAN SUPERMAN #21

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Batman and Superman have always been called the “World’s Finest.” What happens when both are massively changed? Batman isn’t exactly the same Batman we had before. Superman has also been going through some big changes and fluctuations in his power.

We’re also seeing that Superman doesn’t seem to be on friendly terms with the authorities. Some feel betrayed or threatened now that his biggest secret has been revealed. We saw these two clash in the free Sneak Peek eight-page story. With Greg Pak writing and Ardian Syaf providing the art, it’s going to be pretty exciting.

STARFIRE #1

No Caption Provided

(DC)

I really like Starfire as a character. The “new” Teen Titans have always held a special place. We’ve seen some different versions of the team and characters over the years in different media. Now Starfire is getting her own series and time in the spotlight.

What makes it even better is the fact that Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti are writing it. They’ve been putting some fun back into comics on HARLEY QUINN, giving us a mix of storytelling, character development, and some goofy moments. Starfire hasn’t had too many chances, in the New 52, to have some downtime or time to enjoy herself. Moving her away from her recent past to Florida will be interesting. There’s no telling what will happen in this series. Emanuela Lupacchino’s art in the preview looks great as well. Hopefully this will feel more like the Starfire we used to know.

Honorable Mention: DESCENDER #4

Mat's Picks

CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER #1

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Since Constantine isn't coming back to television, I need to get my John Constantine fix from somewhere, right? Luckily, there's a new CONSTANTINE series, and I couldn't be more excited. Without getting too in depth, the last series had a few problems, like being dragged into a few cross-over stories, and that book never really had a chance to grow. Hopefully, CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER can just grow on its own. The sneak peek was pretty interesting and got me excited enough for the book.

What I'm even more excited about is the creative team for this new series. Ming Doyle is primarily an artist, and we've seen her most recently on Vertigo's THE KITCHEN. She'll be writing the series. Alongside her is Riley Rossmo, whose art I loved on the recent RASPUTIN series from Image.

I'm excited to see what this team brings to the table and their take on John Constantine. If you're a fan of the character and maybe looking for something familiar, yet different, this should be up your alley.

DETECTIVE COMICS #41

No Caption Provided

(DC)

RENEE MONTOYA!

Since the creative team of Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato have taken over DETECTIVE COMICS, I've been in love with this series. I loved their storyline "Icarus," and really enjoyed their new take on Anarky. The question is "Where do they go from here?"

I still don't know how I feel about the big reveal of who is actually running around in the Batsuit, but I am excited to see Manapul and Buccellato's take on the aftermath of Endgame.

More importantly, I'm excited to see some more Harvey Bullock, who, from the looks of the solicit, has a bigger role in this new story, and a new partner... Renee Montoya. FINALLY! Montoya is back! While I love what these guys are doing on this series, this issue is really on Essentials this week because Renee Montoya is back in DC comics and part of main continuity.

STARVE #1

No Caption Provided

(Image)

I have to admit something: I'm a sucker for cooking shows and shows about food. I've seen almost everything Anthony Bourdain has done and right this second, as I write this, I have Cutthroat Kitchen playing in the background... I also like Alton Brown.

Anyway, I like cooking shows. I've made that clear, and STARVE is essentially about show a cooking show has evolved since a world famous chef, who created the show, went into a self-imposed exile. Said chef is ready to go to war to get rid of the show.

I've always been a fan of Brian Wood's writing and concepts. One of the books that got me back into comics was DEMO, so I tend to try and follow his work. However, I'm really excited about this concept and this seems like something that I'll be reading until the end, so if you're a weirdo who watches way to many cooking shows, like me, you may want to pick this up.

BIRTHRIGHT #8

No Caption Provided

(Image)

BIRTHRIGHT has been a non-stop roller coaster ride since issue one. It's weird to think that we're only at issue #8 because it feels like so much has happened in this series so far, yet there's still so much the reader doesn't know about what happened to Mikey when he was in Terrenos.

Well, we do know that someone got pregnant while he was there. Rya has come to Earth, but for what reason? Is she there to hunt Mikey down, who is being controlled by God King Lore?

As I've said before, I love the concept of the book and I'm excited to see what writer Joshua Williamson has in store for us next. In addition, Andrei Bressan and Adriano Lucas have been killing it on art and it's some of the best looking art on a on-going series. If you've never checked this book out, by the trade (issues #1-5), then catch up for this issue!

Corey's Picks

1602 WITCH HUNTER ANGELA #1

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

The 1602 series has had, at best, a rocky go of it. From glorious, Neil Gaiman-led masterpiece to less-than-stellar follow-ups that, at the very least had some interesting ideas, the road it's traveled has been varied. However, there's never been a team quite like this one, headed up by Marguerite Bennett and Kieron Gillen, both of whom have tons of experience writing either bizarre, unique fantasy and/or Angela herself.

Stephanie Hans and Marguerite Sauvage are not names I was familiar with in the comic art world, but a quick perusal of both those names show that, clearly, they're extremely talented and should have at least one eye kept on them.

Click here for the solicit. Preview below.

CATWOMAN #41

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Before the whole...Convergence thing, Catwoman was in the run for the most improved book of 2015 and with the same creative team, here's to hoping that continues well into the new status quo.

Catwoman has been one of the most interseting DCU characters after the "great change" and her character will likely be the one of the most fascinating as it continues in this new, continuity-loose paradigm. Genevieve Valentine and David Messina have taken a character that's been one of the most static in comics and fundamentally changed her entire character while keeping what makes her HER completely intact, and it has never failed to be entertaining to read.

SPIDER-GWEN #5

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

I had a recent conversation with a friend and co-worker about the unprecedented success that this title has enjoyed. And I mean unprecedented, normally the arc is a new character is introduced and languishes in obscurity or is summarily cancelled, and while obviously this isn't an entirely new character, she is a very fresh take on a old favorite and Jason Latour and Robbi Rodriguez have managed to make her their own.

After last issue's focus on character building, it sounds like Gwen's going back on the front lines and that's always where Rodriguez's art shines. This title has been a breath of fresh air, and the creative team has given no indication that they're losing momentum anytime soon.

Click here for the solicit. Preview below.

HONORABLE MENTION: GHOST RACERS #1

That's it for this week's edition of Essential Comics. Let us know what your books you're super-duper excited for this week in the comment section below!

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By John-PH

Jesus Christ there is allot of comics I want this week. In total there's 13, but I want see what people say about some of new DC books

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good week for DC! Can't remember the last time they outnumbered Marvel in the Essential Picks.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Batman, Silk, and Walking Dead for me. Also Tony I don't think Batman/Superman is at issue 41 yet :)

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC: Batman 41, Catwoman 41, Starfire 1, Nightwing Rough Justice trade

Marvel: Silk 5

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Spider-Gwen

Spider-Verse

Inferno

Ultimate End

Silk

1602 WITCH HUNTER ANGELA or Marvel Zombies . I don't know which of the 2 to pick.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Earth 2 can't wait

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By tensor

HELLBLAZER is on the top of my list.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By superhoodie

DC:

• Batman/Superman #21
  • Detective Comics #41
  • Earth 2 Society #1

Image:

• Chrononauts #4
  • Injection #2

Marvel:

• 1602 Witch Hunter Angela #1
  • Captain America And The Mighty Avengers #9
  • Ghost Racers #1
  • Inferno #2
  • Inhumans Attilan Rising #2
  • Kanan #3
  • Secret Wars 2099 #2
  • Secret Wars Journal #2
  • Silk #5
  • Silver Surfer #12
  • Spider-Gwen #5
  • Weirdworld #1

Valiant:

• Unity #19
  • X-O Manowar 25th Ann Special #1
ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No Caption Provided

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My pull list for the week,

1. Batman #41

2. Batman/Superman #21

3. Detective Comics #41

4. Earth 2 Society #1

5. Harley Quinn #17

6. Injustice Year Four #3

7. New Suicide Squad #9

8. Starfire #1

9. Birthright #8

10. The Walking Dead #142

11. Kanan The Last Padawan #3

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Starfire comes out this week? Cool. I'm still unsure about going monthly on it. Might just trade wait.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TDK_1997
  • Batman #41
  • Constantine the Hellblazer #1
  • Copperhead #8
  • Saga #29
  • Weirdworld #1

cobsohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really gaying up Catwoman. Hope it works out, love reading her solo stuff.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ain't feeling the new Batman or the new Superman. Pass!

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

That Batman reminds of Chappie.

This week I'm getting:

* Chrononuats (Hope it's not a rushed solution. I'm fine with it even being a cliff-hanger with the world at its worst.)

* Gotham Academy!

Maybe Silk #5 and Spider-Verse #2

Avatar image for thekidfliessolo
thekidfliessolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My pulls

• Batman #41
  • Supes and Bats 21
  • Starfire 1
  • Harley Quinn 17
  • Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps 1 (AF Variant)
  • Silk 5
  • Spider-Verse 2
  • Ultimate End 2
  • Batgirl: The Batgirl of Burnside TPB
  • Injustice Gods Amoung Us Year Four #3 (?)
rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Pull this week :

• Birthright #8

• Black Science #15

• Chrononauts #4

• Copperhead #8

• Descender #4

• FBP Federal Bureau Of Physics #21

• Harrow County #2

• Injection #2

• Nameless #4

• Rebels #3

• Saga #29

• Savior #3

• Absolute Transmetropolitan Volume 1 HC

• B.P.R.D. 1946-1948 HC

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Batman 41

Batman/Superman 21

Constantine: The Hellblazer 1

Detective Comics 41

Earth 2: Society 1

New Suicide Squad 1

Red Hood/Arsenal 1

Kanan The Last Padawan 3

Em3raldWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC

• Batman #41
  • Earth 2 Society #1

Marvel

• Spider-Gwen #5

• Birthright #8
  • Black Science #15
  • Chrononauts #4
  • Descender #4
DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

$6 for Chrononauts #4 is a lot and it pains me to pay it but I have to see how it ends. I hope this isn't the new formula for mini-series. Lower price on first 3 issues then double dip on the finally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Descender and the X-O Manowar 25th Anniversary special.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All Dc comics

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By DrellAssassin

@kfabz-23 said:

Ain't feeling the new Batman or the new Superman. Pass!

Have you read them?

mjbiebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody know when Secret Wars #4 come out?

Avatar image for deactivated-6078d92bc3efb
deactivated-6078d92bc3efb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-O Manowar 25th Year Anniversary Issue

Unity #19

Descender #4

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look it's Chappie's week!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordDarkFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LordDarkFox
Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corey, you kill me! Under Spider-Gwen: "that's always where Rodriguez's art shines". His art wouldn't shine under the light of a supernova!

Seriously though, Spider-Gwen is always a must-read for me, because the story far outweighs what the visuals lack.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Copperhead #8

Saga #29

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picking up all batman and superman related comics as well as constantine.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

gonna be another Awesome week of DC comics!!!

~MiB

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The majority of my comic money is now going to Image.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Massive week of comics!

Birthright

Black Science

Chrononauts

Descender

Injection

Nameless

Batman

Starfire (maybe)

Weirdworld (very disappointing none of the staff picked this)

Marvel Zombies (maybe, the preview looks great)

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• 1602: Witch Hunter Angela #1
  • Batman #41
  • Inferno #2
  • Marvel Zombies #1

and volume 4 of Eastof West.

Kervan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"With a character that’s been around for over seventy-five years, every once in a while it’s great to see some thing a little different."

Yeah, but the problem is that "every once in a while" is turning into once every 3 to 4 years. If it were to happen once every ten years, then that would be a little more tolerable. The New 52 only started 4 years ago in 2011, and finally put Bruce back in the cowl as the one and only Batman, and put him back in Gotham, ending all of the weird Morrison nonsense in the previous 2-3 years. Snyder taking over Batman and doing that was the best thing to happen to Batman in comics in a decade - especially in the wake of Nolan's TDK trilogy.

Knowing me, I'll probably pick up Batman #41, and it may be really good. But even if it's great, I just don't know if I can stomach another "someone else is Batman" story arc for the long haul when I personally feel like I only just got him back (yeah, 2011 doesn't feel that long ago to me). At least ARKHAM KNIGHT is coming out in a couple of months, and that will keep me occupied with a great Bruce Wayne-centric story for awhile.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@kfabz-23: your loss, dude. Action Comics #41 was amazing—as has been the rest of Pak and Kuder's run on that title. Comic fans should actually learn how to give things a chance before condemning them.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: it's funny because I'm usually open to change. It's just that I feel like DC are changing things that don't need to be changed. Superman and Batman are the last characters that needed such drastic changes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Bruce Wayne dead or not?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_stegman  Moderator

@jayc1324: Probably not, but everyone thinks he is.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC:

• Batman/Superman #21
  • Detective Comics #41
  • Batman #41
  • Gotham Academy #7

Image:

• Chrononauts #4
  • Injection #2
  • Saga #29
  • Roche Limit: Cladestiny #2
  • Descender #4
  • Starve #1
  • Birthright #8

Marvel:

• Inferno #2
  • Inhumans Attilan Rising #2
  • Spider-Gwen #5

14 issues this week. so its going to cost my wallet a little over $50 this week.
i think its worth it. looking forward to reading all of these titles.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: I agree. It's like DC editorial sat down with the writers and said. "When Convergence is over, let's take every title we have and send it in a shocking new creative direction, despite the fact that in many of these same titles, there is rich potential to continue to explore the current direction the book is going in." What's hitting me the hardest are the various Green Lantern titles and Aquaman. And though these are new series, I don't like the directions Martian Manhunter and Cyborg are going to go in from what I hear. But they're not as bad as GL and Aqauaman. But you know what basically is is JLU. They haven't had more than two arcs and they're already shaking up the roster. And what the hell did Batman Beyond do to deserve to be so drastically changed? Though I will admit, that first issue was somewhat enjoyable. It looks like they're going the route of "it seems she's a complete dolt because she doesn't know Earth customs" route with Starfire like from the animated series, which will not receive my seal of approval. The other thing is, sure Kreisberg and Sokolowski's first issue of Green Arrow wasn't great, but it really rose in quality from there, but DC took them off the title because everyone was saying they were making it too much like the TV show. Well, it really wasn't anything like the show at all. Everyone just couldn't get past the fact that they introduced a comics version of Felicity Smoak. Then everyone was saying Percy and Zircher would save the title. Well, their first issue was worse than Kreisberg's and Sokolowski's, and I don't see much room for improvement.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jayc1324 said:

LOL I don't even know at this point; ya know what I mean?

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great week for DC books!

My pull...

Batman #41

Batman/Superman #21

Detective Comics #41

Earth 2 Society #1

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 batman books

4. If you count Earth 2

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The Bat-books look sweet for this month.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@jayc1324: Probably not, but everyone thinks he is.

@jayc1324 said:

LOL I don't even know at this point; ya know what I mean?

If he's dead or not, i don't know...but if you are wondering how can he appear on Justice League like nothing happened, that's because DC has said that their continuity it's going to be more flexible now, which sucks, but it could also be because Justic League's new arc it's a continuation of their first arc "Justice League war" so, "Darkseid war" may have occurred before the events of Endgame.