Essential Comics for 4/15/18

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Every week, the toughest thing to do is figure out what comic books to pick up. Luckily, the fine staff of Comic Vine is here to help ease the tension. So sit back and relax while we let you know what books are essential reading this week.

It's the second week of CONVERGENCE from DC, while Marvel's books get ready for the SECRET WARS break. On top of that, there's a few new series coming out to keep your eye on. Here's what we think you need to check out this week!

Tony's Picks

No Caption Provided

CHRONONAUTS #2

(Image Comics)

The first issue of CHRONONAUTS introduced us to Corbin Quinn and Danny Reilly. The two would become the first to unlock the secrets to time travel. It was a fascinating look at the concept with a different feel to it. Mark Millar left us with a nice juicy cliffhanger at the end. But all of that is nothing compared to what happens in the second issue.

The temptation of messing about with time during time travel is something that’s touched on most of the time. That’s what we’ll get here as Quinn and Reilly apparently will be going rogue.

But with the world watching their antics, how long until backup is sent in time after them? It’s going to be a nice big juicy mess. Millar and Sean Murphy are up to some crazy things in this series.

No Caption Provided

ARCHIE VS. PREDATOR #1

(Dark Horse Comics)

When this was first announced during New York Comic Con, it felt like it had to be a joke. How could Archie face off against a Predator? But then we have been seeing more different and innovative things happening at Archie Comics. While many still cling onto the memory of ARCHIE MEETS THE PUNISHER, why not have him meet a Predator?

Unlike the current AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE, this will have the traditional Archie art style. Fernando Ruiz is giving the series the traditional style so it will look and feel like a regular Archie comic. Of course the theme of the story will be a little more mature. Alex de Campi is having Archie and the gang heading off to Costa Rica for Spring Break. You can bet things are going to get deadly for some.

No Caption Provided

THOR #7

(Marvel Comics)

The action and adventure for the new Thor continues courtesy of Jason Aaron, Russell Dauterman, and Matthew Wilson. We still have the mystery of her true identity, which is nearing its conclusion apparently, and we’re still seeing her adjust to this new life.

Odinson, the former Thor, may have given his blessing in her using his name but he’s determined to find out who she really is. Odin, on the other hand, isn’t too happy with her presence. Now that’s he’s allowed the Destroyer to be unleashed on her, we’re likely to get a nice fight that should allow fans of either Thor someone to cheer for. And what’s Freya up to?

Check out the solicit here and the preview below this very sentence!

Mat Picks

No Caption Provided

CONVERGENCE AQUAMAN #1

(DC Comics)

Last week, I told everyone to pick out CONVERGENCE THE QUESTION and it was pretty awesome. This week, I'm pretty excited for and recommending everyone check out CONVERGENCE AQUAMAN.

Aquaman is back with his hook-hand, one of my favorite versions of the character and he'll be taking on Deathblow. The issue is also going to feature characters from ZERO HOUR. From the solicit alone, I'm pretty pumped with what this issue can offer readers.

I'm also super-pumped to see Tony Bedard on this book, who wrote a large chunk of one of my favorite series, EXILES. Understandably, CONVERGENCE tie-ins have been a big mixed bag after week one, but this CONVERGENCE tie-in has a great creative team and one of my favorite characters starring in it, so I'm all in for this issue.

No Caption Provided

GHOSTED #19

(Image Comics)

Yes, GHOSTED is out this week, so of course, it's going to be on the essentials because it's been consistently one of my favorite reads, month after month.

How about that ending for issue #18? That was a bit of an emotional roller-coaster, which writer Joshua Williamson must love doing to his readers. I can't wait to see how that plays out as well, which I'm not spoiling here because I want everyone to go out and buy the trades for this book.

Jackson has to work with Markus now and Markus wants to capture death. I love the concept for this story and finally seeing Markus and Jackson together again, even though Markus is an insanely evil person... he killed a town full of people, so there's that. Seriously, check this series out, even if it's in trade. It's conceptually one of my favorite books and one of the best things Williamson is currently writing.

No Caption Provided

BLOODSHOT REBORN #1

(Valiant)

Let's lay it all on the table. I am not a Bloodshot fan. While I love the vast majority of what Valiant does, Bloodshot was never a character I could connect with. However, have you seen those preview pages for the new BLOODSHOT: REBORN book? Yeah, they're freaking awesome.

Mico Suayan and David Baron are delivering some beautiful looking art in those few preview pages and that alone sold me on at least the first issue.

Then, I saw who was writing it: Jeff Lemire. This is one dynamite creative team, and I'm very intrigued to see what they can bring to the table. Lemire has proven time and time again that his takes on popular characters can be exciting and reinvigorate a series.

Here's a preview of this new book below!

Corey's Picks

No Caption Provided

MS MARVEL #14

(Marvel Comics)

Kamalaaaaaa's goooot a cruuuuuush. After a wild, high-stakes battle against an insane bird man (but not THAT insane Birdman...or THAT insane Birdman either), the notion of G. Willow Wilson returning to Kamala's personal life and attempting to juggle her teen years with being a superhero.

Wilson's characters' interpersonal relationships have been, by-and-large, the strongest pillar of the book and while that's been limited by necessity to make way for a more grandiose story, the fact that we can now return to them is something worth anticipating. AND the notion of Wilson tackling something like a high school crush with how she writes teenage characters is just more delight. Takeshi Miyazawa has shown more than capable of capturing the frantic whimsy that MS MARVEL strikes, and having him back on the visuals is good news.

Click here for the solicit. Preview below!

No Caption Provided

MAGNETO #17

(Marvel Comics)

While there have been far-out, massive, cosmic events exploding across the Marvel Universe, MAGNETO has secretly been having one of the most fascinating character stories of redemption and being adrift in the modern world. Even the Axis tie-in was completely character-focused and expanded Magneto's backstory in an interesting, organic way and has made him one of the most quietly compelling characters in the Marvel Universe.

Cullen Bunn has been channeling the most interesting aspects of Magneto's past without recklessly retconning or disregarding some of the more atrocious things the character has done to tell a truly fascinating story of a man drifting through, and looking for meaning within, his own existence. And Gabriel Hernandez Walta's visuals strike the perfect tone between emotionally resonant and incredibly gritty that help define what Magneto's going through.

Click here for the solicit. Preview below!

No Caption Provided

CONVERGENCE: SHADOW OF THE BAT #1

(DC Comics)

As someone who holds the CORRECT Scarlet Spider costume in extremely high regard, I've always had a strange relationship with Azrael's original bat-costume. Not the mechanized monstrosity that he ended Knightfall on, the sleeker, more cybernetic ultra-90s XTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEME take on "the Batman."

On the one hand, it perfectly exemplifies what the writers at the time were trying to do with Batman and how they were trying to modernize him...but on the other hand: KNIFE FINGERS!

It's so absurd I can't help but love it and seeing a solid team with creators like Larry Hama and Philip Tan take that character and that costume and tell a modern tale with them makes me, at the very least, optimistic.

That's it for this week's edition of Essential Comics. Let us know what your books you're super-duper excited for this week in the comment section below!

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why does aquaman look like that on the cover?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Lemire + Bloodshot = yes, please!

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodshot Reborn and Magneto in the same week? Be still my heart. Oh, and Sabrina finally returns!

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I took you up on Chrononauts #1. I liked the art and personality. I'm not sure yet if I'll follow the series, but #2 will start out fun. :)

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing for me again this week, feels so weird.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

Why does aquaman look like that on the cover?

He is 1 year or more in dry land.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hook hand Aquaman vs Deathblow, that is as 90's as you can get.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

@mk5: Second issue really shakes things up compared to the first. Went in sort of a different direction than I thought.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never did give Bloodshot a chance, but if Lemire is writing, I'm definitely picking it up!

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Definite buy pile:

Ms. Marvel & The Kitchen

Looking forward to checking outConvergence Superboy and Green Lantern/Parallax. I miss that version of Kyle Rayner.

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By John-PH

Might check out CRONONAUTS. There isn't any shock value bullshit is there?

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big week for me as I am loving seeing my favorite characters back in Convergence. And especially since I'm a 90's guy I've been looking forward to this week.

Aquaman #1

Batman: Shadow of the Bat #1

Catwoman #1

Supergirl: Matrix #1

Superboy #1

Green Lantern/Parallax #1

Justice League International #1

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodshot reborn, the fade out, unity!!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never thought Aquaman could look any more lame than he already does. Congrats DC.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Convergence #2
  • Uncanny X-Men #33
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Bloodshot Reborn.

Coincidentally, I didn't think I'd like Bloodshot until I read his series.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only two books for me this week, can't remember the last time that happened, but they're good ones. Chrononauts and The Fade Out.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of Convergence and Thor, maybe a couple of other Marvel books and Chrononauts.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By donmeca2020

@fastestmanalive said:

Big week for me as I am loving seeing my favorite characters back in Convergence. And especially since I'm a 90's guy I've been looking forward to this week.

Aquaman #1

Catwoman #1

Superboy #1

If these are all the convergence titles for this week, then im probably getting all of those as well. the 90s of comics were kind of like my favorite time period. Azrael bats, purple costume catwoman, Superboy with is leather jacket, and hal jordan Parallax !!!!!!! im really excited, i'll probably pass on Supergirl, JLI is a 50/50 shot if i buy that one.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By vandinejd_1991
mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My pull list for the week,

1. All of the Convergence titles.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 k4tzm4n  Moderator
kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every Convergence title is an essential for me.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

DC, you vile demons. How dare you tempt me with Convergence issues! You will not have my wallet! Begone, trickster heathens!

With all that said, I will be paying my weekly tithe for Superboy #1, Superman: The Man of Steel #1, and Convergence #2 at the church of DC, along with Unity #17 from Valiant.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

Lemire + Bloodshot = yes, please!

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC:

• Convergence Aquaman #1
  • Convergence Green Arrow #1
  • Convergence Superboy #1
  • Convergence Supergirl Matrix #1
  • Convergence Superman The Man Of Steel #1

Image:

• Chrononauts #2

Marvel:

• Captain America And The Mighty Avengers #7
  • Loki Agent Of Asgard #13
  • Magneto #17
  • Ms. Marvel #14
  • Superior Iron Man #7
  • Thor #7
  • Uncanny X-Men #33
  • Wolverines #14

Valiant:

• Bloodshot Reborn #1
  • Unity #17
Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

All Convergence titles for me

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Thor

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Convergence: Shadow of the Bat

Convergence: Suicide Squad (Tom Mandrake on art...very cool)

Convergence: Green Arrow

Legendary Star-Lord #11 (Black Vortex...awesome stuff)

Em3raldWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Convergence #2
  • Convergence Aquaman #1
  • Convergence Green Lantern Parallax #1
  • Thor #7
  • Chrononauts #2
  • Hexed #9
Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far nothing that impressive from the convergence event. I mean they are are good or decent, but feels like a gimmick that'll wear off by next month.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman #1

Catwoman #1

Superboy #1

Yeah, this is pretty cool! I LOVE having the 90s Superboy back especially, the Kesel/Grummett era was just a lot of fun, just a fun book. I'd like to take that nostalgia-trip again!

IndieRockCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys i havent been reading comic books for quite a while except for one or two titles and I would really appreciate if you suggest some titles. My favorite books (old and new) are The Sandman, Hellblazer (I don't really like Constantine though), Saga, East of West, Batman, Uncanny X-men, Star Wars(many titles) and Swamp Thing and Animal man. I've bought a couple of Image titles that seamed interesting but I haven't read them yet. Thank you in advance!

Avatar image for deactivated-63456d9a1a04f
deactivated-63456d9a1a04f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one is getting Archie vs. Predator??? How is that not an essential for any of you? Just because of how ridiculous it is I'm picking it up.

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fastestmanalive: That's cute, you think that's a big week. You have no idea haha

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magneto and Bloodshot Reborn!!!!

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
Starscream_Vs_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman: Shadow Of The Bat is already on the pull list among others.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_stegman  Moderator

All the Convergence titles.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 These are most of them. There is Suicide Squad, Green Arrow, and Steel as well. Yea 90's rocked. I know they had Wally this past week but wouldeve loved to see single and still maturing, Wally of the 90's as well. That was a fun period.

@winter_kills Yea that was definitely a fun book. One of the first comics I ever bought was a Superboy issue. I remember thinking Conner was really cool with the leather jacket and all that. Lol I was really young.

@outbreak666 Haha I know. for me its a big week. But yea compared to others my pull list isn't as big as some. What's your list look like this week?

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020 These are most of them. There is Suicide Squad, Green Arrow, and Steel as well. Yea 90's rocked. I know they had Wally this past week but wouldeve loved to see single and still maturing, Wally of the 90's as well. That was a fun period.

@winter_kills Yea that was definitely a fun book. One of the first comics I ever bought was a Superboy issue. I remember thinking Conner was really cool with the leather jacket and all that. Lol I was really young.

@outbreak666 Haha I know. for me its a big week. But yea compared to others my pull list isn't as big as some. What's your list look like this week?

i was checking today what i'll be buying tommorrow and i noticed im only getting 1 marvel title while all the rest will be DC. looks to be a good week of comics

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know what you mean...I even got my hair cut just like his!! lol Ah the 90's!!

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Deadgod

@jashsmash: Maybe because it doesn't have any Superhero or it's just ridiculous. Either way , it was always on my pull list.

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Pull this week :

• Chrononauts #2

• EI8HT #3

• Fade Out #5

• RunLoveKill #1

• Sabrina #2

• Secret Identities #3

• Shutter #11

• 100 Bullets Volume 2 TP

• Bandette Volume 2 Stealers Keepers HC

• Batman Adventures Mad Love Deluxe Edition HC

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fastestmanalive said:

I know what you mean...I even got my hair cut just like his!! lol Ah the 90's!!

Apparently they gave low review ratings for Shadow of the bat and Aquaman.... Now im dying to read these when i get home, just to see how I feel about them.

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha oh man I get so much let's see I got

Convergence 2

All the convergence tie ins except super girl, catwoman, and green arrow

Thor

Secret identity 3

Django Zorro 6