Essential Comics for 12-2-15

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It's Monday and it's time to look forward to see what the future brings! Will we be looking to see what amazing things will happen in the next few years? Will we be seeing when the world will end when the lizard-people rise up against us? Nope. We're looking forward to this Wednesday to see what awesome comics books are coming out. Let's get right down to business and check out what comics are essential reading.

For a full list of this week's releases, click here.

Tony's Picks

DAREDEVIL #1

No Caption Provided

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

(W) Charles Soule (A/CA) Ron Garney

Daredevil has returned to New York City. As fun as it was seeing him in San Francisco, it just seems right for him to be back where he belongs. He’ll have a new job at the District Attorney’s office and we likely won’t find out right away why and how he’s back right away. We can assume this will be something that happened in the eight months between Secret Wars and this issue. We can also assume people aren’t aware of Matt Murdock’s double life since he’s back to practicing law. The preview from Charles Soule and Ron Garney looks fantastic and we can’t wait to get our hands on this book.

JAMES BOND #2

No Caption Provided

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Warren Ellis (A) Jason Masters (CA) Dom Reardon

The first issue was a little light on the action but it was a strong set up for this comic book incarnation of James Bond. With the basics established, it’s now time for James to dive into his latest mission. Warren Ellis and Jason Masters have captured the right vibe for the book. We’ll be getting more action in this issue and see the story begin to unfold. This is the James Bond comic we’ve been waiting for.

EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #3

No Caption Provided

(W) Jeff Lemire (A/CA) Humberto Ramos

There’s a lot going on in this series and it’s starting to feel like the old days. Last issue we saw Old Man Logan’s reluctance to join the modern day X-Men and it could be [young] Jean Grey will be what it takes to make him change his mind. Besides this strange-ish encounter, we also have the X-Men dealing with the fact mutants are becoming extinct, Storm and the others need to try to protect the school in it’s deadly location, and apparently there’s a new threat headed their way as well. Jeff Lemire and Humberto Ramos are just getting started with the X-Men but it feels like they’re more than warmed up for the task of putting them through the wringer.

PAPER GIRLS #3

No Caption Provided

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

(W) Brian K. Vaughan (A/CA) Cliff Chiang

This series has won me over with the first issue. Taking place in the 80s, we were introduced to a group of paper girls set out to do the thankless job. Besides the typical dangers that might occur on the morning after Halloween, we soon discovered there was something really strange going on. Brian K Vaughan and Cliff Chang are taking the idea of papergirls to a completely different place, literally. I love the fact that I have no idea where the story is going or even what might possibly happen in this issue.

TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #1

No Caption Provided

(W) Greg Pak (A/CA) Frank Cho

There’s a new Hulk in town and his name is Amadeus Cho. Cho has always been one of the Hulk’s biggest fans and now he is a Hulk? Sounds kind of nuts but with Greg Pak writing the series, we have no doubt we’ll be highly entertained. Cho is the eighth smartest person on Earth so having his brains combined with his youthful enthusiasm, we’re bound to get something different. We have have seen people other than Banner as the Hulk so we’re ready to see what Pak will give us this time. There’s also the question of what has happened to Banner? With Frank Cho doing the art, you can bet Hulk will be looking pretty good with some big action.

HARLEY'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK #1

No Caption Provided

Publisher: DC COMICS

(W) Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti (A/CA) Amanda Conner

When it comes to Harley Quinn, you can count on Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti to come up with something wacky. It might not be everyone, but it’s a nice change of pace. We talked to Jimmy about this series at NYCC and the idea of Harley and Wonder Woman teaming up is pretty goofy. That’s what makes it entertaining. If that wasn’t enough, we’re also getting pretty much an entire issue drawn by Amanda Conner. You won’t want to miss that.

Honorable Mentions: THE PRIVATE EYE DELUXE EDITION HC, SHERIFF OF BABYLON #1

Mat's Picks

VISION #2

No Caption Provided

(W) Tom King (A) Gabriel Hernandez Walta (CA) Mike Del Mundo

The first issue of VISION was unlike anything else Marvel has put out. It had shady undertones which made it feel like at any point, this could become a horror story. We're seeing a different side of Vision here as well. He almost feels desperate for normality, to the point where he is creating his own family. Tom King is doing something very interesting with the first issue and I can't wait to see where it goes and on top of that Gabriel Walta's art is eerie and totally fitting for the story.

UNFOLLOW #2

No Caption Provided

(W) Rob Williams (A) Michael Dowling (CA) Matt Taylor

Out of all the new Vertigo series that were recently launched, UNFOLLOW was my personal favorite, keeping in mind that every single first issue of these new series were completely awesome. The book really revolves around how social media affects our lives and how it truly changes the lives of 140 people. Rob Williams put together a really solid first issue that leaves the reader with a ton of questions making them want more. Michael Dowling did a tremendous job with setting the tone of the first book, which can be a tad haunting at times, and I cannot wait to see what's coming next.

STAR WARS #13

No Caption Provided

(W) Jason Aaron (A) Mike Deodato (CA) Mark Brooks

Star Wars first crossover event has been pretty freaking awesome. Vader is searching for his son, Luke Skywalker, in order to bring him to the dark side of the force. It's contained a ton of epic battles and the last issue had a shocking ending, pun completely intended. It's a simple story, but it moves exceptionally well through all of these issue and more importantly, it's a ton of fun. I'm pretty pumped to see what Aaron and Deodato have planned for this issue as well. Also, we get to see Vader kick some butt and 0-0-0 be the evil version of C-3PO. What more could you want?

NAILBITER #18

No Caption Provided

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

(W) Joshua Williamson (A/CA) Mike Henderson

Time for Barker and Finch to hit the road! This new story line has been pretty nuts, like the last few, and the last issue gave readers a lot of set-up for what's coming down the road. I'm pretty pumped to see the return of Finch, since he's gone through quite a ride, and as always, I'm strangely excited to see what Mike Henderson and Adam Guzowski are going to bring to this issue, since violent visuals these two put into this book are downright wonderful. Again, that sounds really weird, but it looks so cool. These artists, along with writer Joshua Williamson have crafted one of the best mystery horror books around.

GREEN LANTERN #47

No Caption Provided

(W) Robert Venditti (A) Martin Coccolo (CA) Billy Tan, Mark Irwin

It's no secret that I've been loving what Robert Venditti has been doing with Hal Jordan. The final battle with Black Hand was pretty excellent. Now, Hal is headed back to Earth and will eventually take on Sonar. GREEN LANTERN is a very different book with Venditti writing and I love the direction. What's going to be interesting is to see Martin Coccolo take over the art duties, since normally he's the colorist for the book. GREEN LANTERN has been a pretty fun adventure and the future is looking bright... up until another villain comes down to try and kill Hal.

Honorable Mention: CITIZEN JACK #2, BATMAN & ROBIN ETERNAL #9

That's it for this week! We'll see you next Monday. Tell us what books you're looking forward to this week.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Looking forward to Green Lantern, X-Men (never thought I'd say that), and trying out some of the new Marvel books.

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Lantern1210

Extraordinary X-Men, Green Lantern, Star Wars, and.....DAREDEVIL!!!

So happy Tan is finally off pencils. And I could be wrong but I thought Sinclair was usually colorist on GL

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Lots of interesting stuff this week can't wait for Daredevil.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

DAREDEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Invincible Iron Man!

All-New All Different Avengers

John Flood

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

• Action Comics #47
  • Daredevil #1
  • Doctor Strange #3
  • Extraordinary X-Men #3
  • James Bond #2
  • Midnighter #7
  • Red Wolf #1
  • Spidey #1
  • Star Wars #13
  • Totally Awesome Hulk #1
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Plutona?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much does story change with a new artist? It should be considered, as going against the visual graphics n of the main penciller would ruin a brilliant story.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My essentials for the week,

1. Robin War #1

2. Nailbiter #18

3. Batman and Robin Eternal #9

4. Harley's Little Black Book #1

5. Star Wars #13

Honorable mentions, Green Lantern #47, Cyborg #5 and Batman Beyond #7

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Daredevil, Extraordinary X-Men and Star Wars.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Extraordinary X-Men, and Green Lantern are probably the books I'm most excited about on my pull list this week. It's going to be a great Wednesday.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't get over how stupid the Hulk looks. He really needs to punched in his Bro-Hulk face.

jstndmnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

I'm surprised All-new Inhumans isn't on this list.

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I know right? lol Still gonna give it a couple issues because I'm a huge fan of Pak's writing style

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

j4zzm4n88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sheriff of Babylon and Robin War for me .

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I was looking forwards to this weeks Teen Titans... then I saw the preview and now I am just praying it's not half as bad as its shaping up to be.

Otherwise:

• Harley's Little Black Book... hopefully Diana doesn't need to have a knock on the head to last the issue.
  • Gotham by Midnight... people should have been reading this.
  • Gotham Academy... still fun, not sure I care all that much about Olive's mother.
  • Cyborg... beginning to lack world building if I am honest.
  • Dr. Strange... in his underpants is a fun place to start.
JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why Hulk look like Mogwai??

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All New Inhumans! Robin War!! Daredevil!!! My 3 most anticipated debuts since DC You are all coming out in the same week! So awesome.

Also getting: Cyborg 5, Midnighter 7 and Sheriff of Babylon 1.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will definitely be picking up DD. Been hearing a lot of good things about Extraordinary X-Men... Might have to check that series out.

beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might check out DD. I'll definitely be reading Paper Girls and Extraordinary X-Men.. also surprised Inhumans didn't make the list, that's a must read for me.

I will very, very hesitantly be looking over All New... but I expect it to be total garbage.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NukeA6

My essentials

• Batman & Robin Eternal - It's the only thing with Cassandra Cain for now. But she's not being very elite ass-kicky lately even though she beat Grayson easily. Hope that changes.
  • Harley's Little Black Book - Not a fan of the main title but the Power Girl teamup was fun so I'll give this one a chance.
  • Haunted Horror - I really love horror anthology comics and there's something about the Golden Age horror that is so charming yet hard to describe why.
  • James Bond - Hard to say if I like it but it does look pretty promising so I'm looking forward to this issue.
  • Nailbiter - Best horror comic available and one of Image's best. Nuff said.
derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plutona

Paper Girls

Daredevil

X-O Manowar: Commander Trill

I'm not sure what else on my list comes out, but this is what I'm excited about.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When does the next issue of JL Darkside War come out? It's been ages.

josephnicklo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Robin War #1

• Daredevil #1

• Batman and Robin Eternal #9

• Spidey #1

• Totally Awesome Hulk #1

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rac_shade

My Pull this week :

• Auteur Sister Bambi #5

• Black Science #18,

• East Of West #22

• John Flood #5

• Nailbiter #18

• Paper Girls #3

• Plutona #3

• They're Not Like Us #10

• Chew Omnivore Edition Volume 5 HC

• DMZ Deluxe Edition Volume 5 HC

• Private Eye The Cloudburst Edition HC

kryptronic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Light week. Looking forward to Unfollow most. If you're not on it, get on it.

Batman and Robin Eternal #9

James Bond #2

Midnighter #7

Unfollow #2