Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate grading. There... I've said it... When it comes to giving exams I'm a huge fan of multiple choice tests so the scan tron machine can do the grading instead of me...

But then, there are still... THE PAPERS... sigh... But I'm digressing. This is a comic book forum, so what am I ranting about. Read the following scan from Ultimate Comics X-Men 18.1

It has become of peeve of mine, to read papers in which the students are trying to impress me with their extensive vocabulary. Honestly, I wish they'd just keep it simple. Not just because I'm a simple person, which I am, but because they often times construct sentences that make no sense.

Now, here in this scan please note the words, "AN historic moment..." it's incorrect. "AN"? REALLY? No... no. no. no. no. NO!!! and SMURF NO!

if one wishes to use the word 'an' before a word beginning with the letter H, then the H must be SILENT. Essentially, since the H is silent, the word sort of begins with a vowel.

Example: An herb. Note, the H is silent. (this applies to citizens of the United States. Many Europeans say the herb like the name Herb so you hear the H)

- An herb

- An honest man

- An hour

- An honor

- An heir

The H in all these words is silent, so it reads like

- An erb

- An onest man

- An our

- An eir

But HISTORIC?!?! PLEASE STOP IT!!! This bugs me the way scratching one's fingernails down a chalk board bugs other people. it doesn't bother me as I'm hard of hearing and can't hear it. Not that THAT has anything to do with this rant...

#1 Posted by Zaleos (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow, I hate that too, I don't understand how people can proofread that and think it's okay, who actually says "an historic"...although to be fair, I think people who say erb instead of herb are wrong.

#2 Edited by Dernman (14957 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5377 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman

LMAO!! " A dangling participle ...." hilarious.
#4 Edited by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

if there is no vowel sound it's A ya that just sounds silliy when people say an infront of other words :) english is a blast isn't it.

I can has an hamburger

#5 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zaleos said:

Oh wow, I hate that too, I don't understand how people can proofread that and think it's okay, who actually says "an historic"...although to be fair, I think people who say erb instead of herb are wrong.

Would you happen to be European?

@Dernman: Oh man! That had me rolling!!!@SupremeHyperion said:

if there is no vowel sound it's A ya that just sounds silliy when people say an infront of other words :) english is a blast isn't it.

I can has an hamburger

LOL! English is an odd language, and like any other, it changes over time often times to ignorance or misunderstandings... We just accept the odd nuances until they become 'canon' so to speak.

for example, the word "Irregardless" isn't really a word. Or, at least, it wasn't... There is Regard and Regard-Less which means 'without regard.' For some odd reason, some people started saying IR-Regard-Less, which means 'NOT Without Regard" which means ' Regard '.... But, I think irregardless has made it's way into the English language to stay... sigh.

#6 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya English is one of those "It sounds like it fits so it must work" type of languages. it's like a choose your own adventure book, but in the end all choices tend to end up in failure :)

#7 Posted by fesak (7045 posts) - - Show Bio

Spelling is a art

#8 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a pullover from french I believe.

#9 Posted by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

THANK YOU!!!

now tell everyone the difference between "their, there, and they're"

#10 Posted by ComicMan24 (147080 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

THANK YOU!!!

My inner grammar nazi screams everytime he sees that...

#11 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

THANK YOU!!!

Wait. Their's a difference? Are you sure? I think there all interchangeable, aren't they? Dang it, they're just too many grammar rules to keep up with... (LOL! it was hard to use them all, incorrectly, in one statement)

#13 Posted by impossibilly (885 posts) - - Show Bio

And while you're at it, let people know that a lot is always two words!

#14 Posted by JediXMan (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

The H in "historic" was silent at one point in time. The rules haven't changed; the pronunciation of this word has. It's in more recent years that "a historic" replaced "an" as the accepted indefinite article.

For further reading, see here.

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

The rule is if it starts with a vowel its "An" if it doesn't its "A" I learned this in first grade.

#16 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

The rule is if it starts with a vowel its "An" if it doesn't its "A" I learned this in first grade.

Well that rule doesn't always apply, unfortunately... and makes things confusing... Leading to this AN historic.

Think about the word 'honor.'

To you tell someone "It's been A honor" or do you tell them "It's been AN honor." You see, the H is silent and the next letter is a O, which is a vowel...

@JediXMan said:

The H in "historic" was silent at one point in time. The rules haven't changed; the pronunciation of this word has. It's in more recent years that "a historic" replaced "an" as the accepted indefinite article.

For further reading, see here.

That's a good article. it basically comes down to whether or not the H at the beginning of the word is silent...

#17 Posted by JediXMan (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Not necessarily true. Hour, herb (in the US, the H is silent; European spelling has the H spoken), homage (this one is strongly debated, and the silent H is becoming popular), honor, etc. all follow the indefinite article "an."

Also, not all words that begin with a vowel are proceeded by "an," such as "a university."

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: This s**t right here is why English is a goddamned retarded language. Its like the people who created just sat around for a year trying to figure out new and exciting ways to piss people off with grammar rules

#19 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio

for papers and publicized works I feel you.

For message boards and comics not so much. Message board posts are often casually written without being reviewed. I generally don't go over my posts and make my fair share of grammatical errors. Once again its a message board so its not a big deal it happens and it will continue to happen.

Comic bubbles are written in place of human speech. Meaning they should be given some leeway; people often make grammatical errors when they speak. Whether this particular error was intentional or not is another matter entirely, but the bubbles are really just suppose to mirror speech

#20 Edited by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@joshmightbe said:

Not necessarily true. Hour, herb (in the US, the H is silent; European spelling has the H spoken), homage (this one is strongly debated, and the silent H is becoming popular), honor, etc. all follow the indefinite article "an."

Also, not all words that begin with a vowel are proceeded by "an," such as "a university."

Yeah, I think I mentioned the European thing earlier. Eddie Izzard has a good spill on that.

EDDIE: "You Americans say 'erb, but we Europeans say Herb, because it's got a F*()&*G H, hasn't it?!"

I hadn't considered the part about words that begin with a vowel... sigh... The english language is just confusing. I'm not even sure how I manage it half the time.

@SUNMAN said:

for papers and publicized works I feel you.

For message boards and comics not so much. Message board posts are often casually written without being reviewed. I generally don't go over my posts and make my fair share of grammatical errors. Once again its a message board so its not a big deal it happens and it will continue to happen.

Comic bubbles are written in place of human speech. Meaning they should be given some leeway; people often make grammatical errors when they speak. Whether this particular error was intentional or not is another matter entirely, but the bubbles are really just suppose to mirror speech

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I would never expect it in a place like this forum. I'd hate to have to check my grammar when I'm just here to relax and talk comics for fun... And in the comics, they have to let the characters speak the way they speak. Else, Ben Grimm and Reed Richards would sound the same...

But i still hate that "AN HISTORIC" thing... It makes me want to rip their eyelids off... metaphorically speaking.

#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: I've been speaking English my whole life and grammar still annoys the hell out of me.

#22 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Timandm: I've been speaking English my whole life and grammar still annoys the hell out of me.

I guess it's a good thing that we don't have to worry such much about grammar when we're speaking...