Energy based superheroes

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

I'm currently trying to create a superhero with energy based features, the only problem is I can't describe or understand the powers. Like with Wonder Man I don't understand how he can control ionic energy (or is the features just made up in the comics and doesn't really have any scientific meaning?)

Can someone explain that to me or explain how I can make something sound legit?

Avatar image for deactivated-6318083af35cc
deactivated-6318083af35cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@themanintheshoe: It depends on what energy you want your superhero to have and your energy source need to fit your power's origin

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lorbo

@themanintheshoe:

Legit? By following physics your going to have A: Seriously nerf the possibilities of what they can do. Or B: Make them rely on some unexplained how it works technology.

Ionic energy ain't my thing. I can tell you that a person with control over magnetism alone would be a full range telekinetic. Magnetism repels nonmagnetic stuff. And not all metals are magnetic either, so your field could repel bullets (bullets aren't magnetic). You could move metals around simply by pulling them in any given direction. The one thing that would cancel out your magnetism is heat, the more heat the weaker magnetism gets period. That's why superconducting magnets are so cold and so STRONG.

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therrieur: To me it doesn't really matter what type of energy he uses, I'm willing to create something out of inspiration.

@lorbo: Ionic energy is apparently the energy needed to separate the electron from the atom, but nothing about Wonder Man's powers suggests that it has something to do with that. I know Stan Lee said that when he created the Hulk the didn't know what Gamma radiation was, but it sounded cool, maybe he used the same system with him. That's what I mean about legit, maybe it sounds legit but it doesn't have a scientific value.

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therrieur: @lorbo: Actually guys I think I got it now. His DNA is fused with a cosmic flares. So I can build something up around that, maybe that it fuels him and enhances his cells and molecules. Since fire rises he is able to fly or his molecules start to push back gravitation which makes him able to fly.

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Regal_Rumble_Man
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@regal_rumble_man: @lorbo: @therrieur:

I thought of his backstory being something like this:

He volunteers to be part of an experiment where he will enhance his human attributes. This takes place in a US Navy Sub.

The machine malfunctions, exploding and killing everyone in the sub, except for him. Somehow he becomes radioactive and due to the immense power there's a rift in space which moves him to a distant part of space, where he absorbs an unknown type of cosmic flares due to his radiation. Because of the natural orders of things he is flung back to the bottom of the see where he wakes up. He immediately flies up in panic into the sky.

Don't steal! And thoughts

Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: the whole one off experimental thing seems cliche though, unless if said process can be repeated and he becomes their 'leader/pioneer' figure

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

@regal_rumble_man: I was thinking maybe the experiment isn't a super soldier thing but just nuclear weapons malfunctioning which rips up a rift in space, which makes him radioactive. You don't have a name suggestion do you?

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku...

Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Regal_Rumble_Man

@themanintheshoe: so long as he is not the only one positively affected, just call it 'the rip'

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: You should explain his ability to fly by the fact that each of cells, that have been influenced by the cosmic flares, iindependently have the ability to deform their gravitational field or the space-time field , so that he and only he is not affected by gravity at will.

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

@therrieur: I'm gonna steal that XD. Something that I find smart is to make things sound believable, but that is exactly what you did. Thanks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MandoViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By MandoViking

@themanintheshoe: If you want him to be the only person with his powers, then the space rift could be a coincidence, instead of a reaction.

That way the government wouldn't be able to replicate it and make another.