Eisenberg/ Luthor equals Topher/ Venom disaster

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

Edited By RavenVice01

I'm glad a lot of users agree that Eisenberg as Lex Luthor is a really bad idea. I mean do we have to relive the same travesty as Topher Grace being Venom all over again. We can only hope that Eisenberg is playing a younger version of Lex Luthor in Smallville.

As for Jeremy Irons, I suppose he can play a MI-6 version of Alfred but I think Irons could be better served playing a villain like Anton Arcane for Swamp Thing. Still no word on who Joaquim Phoenix is going to play. If Snyder wants to do this movie justice, he better cast Phoenix as the Joker. I have to admit Snyder's casting calls surprise me each time and that's usually not a good thing. Comic book movie casting calls should be logical and sorry to say "predictable"

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By youknowwhattodo

To be fair, if you've seen him in The Social Network and Now You See Me, he can pull off a evil, manipulative billionaire very well. He is young but at the same time Lex is around the same age as Superman so I don't think this is bad casting. My concern would lie more in how he will be written by David Goyer since he is still doing the screenplay from what I hear.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 rogueshadow  Moderator

@youknowwhattodo said:

To be fair, if you've seen him in The Social Network and Now You See Me, he can pull off a manipulative billionaire very well. He is young but at the same time Lex is around the same age as Superman so I don't think this is bad casting. My concern would lie more in how he will be written by David Goyer since he is still doing the screenplay from what I hear.

Goyer's script has been rewritten by Chris Terrio I think.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

He was good in Can you see me now.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By M3th

HAHAHAHA You know wHat's funny? I read tHis tHinking tHe post was saying

Heisenberg.... you know from Breaking Bad. THen I realized you meant Jesse Eisenberg. HaHa.

Anyways, MetH likes tHe idea of a young billionaire being Supermans villain. MetH is always game for a cHange. MetH is a sucker for alternate universes.

EDIT: TopHer Grace was a fairly solid Venom. So tHe only Venom disaster I see is fans getting tHeir panties in a twist over notHing.

June'sVeryOwn

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm skeptical but I'll give him a chance, lets be honest here, he isn't a big enough name to get him the role on recognition alone and I'm sure there are a hundred more bankable stars that would probably love to have the role so he must have done something to impress the people in charge of casting.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't go that far but I will say thats an interesting selection from the roster of actors

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first saw Michael Rosenbaum when I'd heard he'd been cast as Lex Luthor I remember thinking how much that was gonna suck but then he turned out to be the best part of the first five seasons of Smallville. I was also a Heath Ledger doubter when he was cast as Joker and we all know how that turned out.

Jhaigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the guy will do well

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By SaintWildcard
Please take the pain way old friend...
Please take the pain way old friend...

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We wanted Heisenberg NOT Eisenberg!

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This needs to become world-trending.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm skeptical but I'll give him a chance, lets be honest here, he isn't a big enough name to get him the role on recognition alone and I'm sure there are a hundred more bankable stars that would probably love to have the role so he must have done something to impress the people in charge of casting.

Agreed.

You really thought Bryan Cranston was up for the role? The guy's too old and he's too classy of an actor to go and basically reprise the same role he's been playing on TV for the last few years. He's diverse and that's a good thing. Him playing Lex Luthor would look bad on his part.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: My heart wanted BC, but the part in my brain that uses logic knew he wasn't right for the role. It was a post I saw on facebook and thought it was funny so I posted it here.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

@silverpool: Honestly a small part of me really, really wanted Clancy Brown to play him but I knew that was unlikely. Its just that because of the Superman TAS and JL/JLU he's the voice of Lex in my head.

Gordyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should have cast DiCaprio as Lex Luthor. From what I can see, this movie is going to fail big time. Not gonna watch.

DoomGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saying Eisenberg could play Lex Luthor solely on the fact of because he is a decent actor is stupid.

If that's the case, any good actor could play Lex Luthor. And it doesn't work that way.

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CF12793

@silverpool: How would it make Cranston look bad on his part when............

A.) TONS of fans wanted him to do it.

B.) He said he likes Lex Luthor and would do it if he was approached.

C.) He fits within the part so well.

So yeah, he really did think Cranston was up for the role, as did a lot of us.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By buttersdaman000

Comic fans are so petty

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of-course I would prefer others as Luthor, but Eisenberg is alright.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this guy. I'm willing to give him a chance. Social Network and Charlie Banks were awesome.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

good grief people....you have no idea what his performance will be like...none...wait until you see something other than casting news before you start flipping out over something as inconsequential as a movie casting

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic fans are so petty

indeed...but apparently we are not the only ones.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm cool with the casting. I'm actually pretty excited. Eisenberg was really good in Now You See Me.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#24  Edited By Black_Claw

I swear to god, it seems that whining is the one thing that comic book fans are the absolute best at doing. Just wait till the movie comes out to make a proper judgement.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic fans are so petty

You forgot reactionary and easily upset, as well.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Strongarm

Instead of whining do something that can actually stop this, like boycott or petitions. Do something 'real' like what they did to woodley in spiderman 3

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By entropy_aegis

Topher Grace wasn't a disaster,the film was.There isn't exactly much meat to Eddie Brock as a character when he's a Spider-Man villain anyway,there's a reason why he became an anti-hero immediately after his debut and Venom was shoved in to the movie against the director's wishes and the said director admitted to disliking the character.Spider-Man 3 sucked not Grace,there was nothing wrong with Grace's performance as Eddie Brock,sure he could've bulked up but that's really it.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By LyraFay

I swear to god, it seems that whining is the one thing that comic book fans are the absolute best at doing. Just wait till the movie comes out to make a proper judgement.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By DoctorXander

@silverpool: Honestly a small part of me really, really wanted Clancy Brown to play him but I knew that was unlikely. Its just that because of the Superman TAS and JL/JLU he's the voice of Lex in my head.

This

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of whining do something that can actually stop this, like boycott or petitions. Do something 'real' like what they did to woodley in spiderman 3

People were trying that with Ben Affleck and look how that worked out, and this isn't catching half the ****storm that that did.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

Gotta love all the premature, b*tchy judgement this movie is causing.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta love all the premature, b*tchy judgement this movie is causing.

This isn't unusual.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Anyone seen this yet? lol

Loading Video...
ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm fine with Eisenburg being Lex in MoS 2, it's not my ideal choice, but I can see why they would want to go with him.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Their casting choices haven't been spot on to me. Even in the first movie. Henry Caville and the actress that played Faora were perfect picks but the guy playing Zod and Amy Adams didn't wow me or anything. So it's tough to say if they got good casting calls.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sentryman555: What!? I thought Shannon and Amy Adams were amazing in their roles, to each his own I guess.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: To be fair, I'm not saying they were horrible which is why Eisenberg isn't a deal breaker for me but I still kind of felt like other actors could've played the part and we wouldn't have lost anything.

PunyBanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Personally I think James Spader would be a good Lex, but I'm willing to withhold judgement on Eisenberg until I've seen his performance.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ccraft

@sentryman555: You could be right, but for me I think the movie wouldn't have been the same without Shannon nor Amy Adams.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ccraft
LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: The guy also wrote a very good article on Jesse's casting too. Read that too.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ccraft

@lyrafay: That article was great, I'm reading the article about Eisenburg right now.
I can't believe people are worried about MoS 2, especially with all the creative talent working on this production.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: Yeah me too. That is one hell of an creative team!!

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's comparable to that situation. Sam Raimi didn't want Venom/Eddie Brock in "Spider-Man 3" whatsoever, in fact he basically did everything he could for the character to have as little screen time as possible. Grace, at the time, was simply a TV actor with a few minor movie roles under his belt. From day 1, he didn't have the look or acting chops to represent what Brock was supposed to be on screen, and that's why it failed. Eisenberg has played calculating, manipulative geniuses with Superiority complexes before, so this isn't that new of a concept to him. It's just that he hasn't played any that are as evil as Lex. His acting work has been praised across the board, which can't be said about Topher Grace.

I wanted Bryan Cranston in the role as well, but the more I think about it, the more I'm warming up to this choice. Eisenberg's a good actor and he's played vaguely similar roles to Lex. I don't know about a lot of you, but I'm giving this a chance. We haven't even seen a Teaser trailer yet.