gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided
Planet of the Apes has always had a special place for me. While the original movie from 1968 and its sequels were before my time, I became immediately hooked on them when I first saw them. I remember being in Elementary school and a local channel would show old movies at 3 in the afternoon. Every once in a while, they would have a Planet of the Apes week and show one of the movies each day. I'd have to rush home from school to watch them even though I had seem them several times. 
There was also a TV show in the 70s, but it didn't quite have the same essence as the original movies. Then we had that movie with Mark Wahlberg in 2001. Of course it wasn't as good as I'd hope. 

There has been comic adaptations before and now BOOM! Studios is embarking on another series, tied to the original movie's continuity. Will this attempt succeed to capture the franchise's true essence? == TEASER ==

Word came out this morning that the comic has already sold out through Diamond and Haven distributors before it even hits store shelves. Looks like I'm not the only one anticipating this new series. It turns out a trailer for the next movie incarnation, Rise of the Planet of the Apes has been released (more on that in a bit) and that could have added to the excitement.

No Caption Provided
The comic takes place 1,200 years before Taylor (Charlton Heston) arrived. That also means that this story takes place in our future (in the year 2680). I was a little unsure of that setting but quickly understood that this allows for some more freedom in telling new stories. If you've seen the original movies, you know how and when the turning point came for apes to become more than just animals. In this time, apes and humans co-exist but not in the bleak future told in the movies. Men still have the ability to speak and are allowed their independence. But it's clear that their time will soon be over. If you've seen the preview, you know that when an assassin targets the leader of the apes, the Lawgiver, tension will soon be at an all time high.

I did like the story and I am curious about this time period. Being that it was just the first issue, I can't say I was completely blown away. That is mainly because of my fondness for the franchise and the fact that I'm giving this extreme scrutiny. I need to see more of the world being established here. First issues often are stuck with the task in setting everything up. There is clearly a bigger picture that we're not seeing and that is what does have me hooked. There are indeed seeds planted and I do want to see what is going to happen next.

When it comes to drawing Planet of the Apes, you have to be careful. Even though I highly enjoyed the original movies, you have to admit that the costumes and make up, while great for the time, haven't completely held up to today's standards. The choice would have to be made in whether or not the apes should look more like they did in the original movies or if they should have a more animalistic interpretation. Carlos Magno does a great job. The apes still look like...apes but in a way that it feels possible they could be moving around and talking the way that they do in this period. The backgrounds are almost eerie in that we are seeing a time in between the present and the future world of the franchise. The combination and designs were perfect.

As a fan that takes Planet of the Apes seriously, I was pleased with the comic. Giving it a rating, it would get a 4 out of 5 in that it has enough seeds to arouse my curiosity and the art is fitting for capturing the essence of the franchise while also taking it to a new level. For me there was no question if I would check out the first issue. I'd like to know what the casual comic reader or non-Planet of the Apes fan will think. It is set up nicely for those new to the franchise and so far, enough of a feel to the original idea.

And if you haven't seen the trailer for Rise of the Planet of the Apes, check it out. Let me stress that it is not related to the comic.

Avatar image for marvelunivers_deleteme
marvelunivers_deleteme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

this doesn't make sense 100 apes versus 7 billion people

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CrimsonTempest

Will give this a shot. And for any future TV shows turned into movies, here's a good tip. Don't cast Markie Mark.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NightFang3

Apes are on the rise.

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Iron Apollo
I agree. But still it looks like a rad movie!
  @marvelunivers
said:
" this doesn't make sense 100 apes versus 7 billion people "
Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bruce Vain

Great review Tony - Like you I grew up as a huge fan of the Apes series and soon became a big fan of Roddy.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Decept-O

I am ecstatic that G-Man is also an earnest fan of the Planet of the Apes franchise.  Even though the subsequent movies after the first one are often considered cheesy and weird by some, I still love them for what they are. 

I  had a Colorforms Planet of the Apes toy.  I also recall there being a short-lived Planet of the Apes TV show. 

So I am surprised to read anyone is doing a comic book with POTA.  Wow, that is a high rating, I just don't know if I will find it locally. 

I don't know about this new movie, can't bring myself to watch the trailer.  After the last incarnation by Tim Burton and *cough* Mark Wahlberg, I just think it all should be left alone. 

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I remember humiliation of the 2001 movie.  Lets hope that this is a worthwhile adventure.

Crimson Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crimson Eagle

James Franco is in this? 

YES!!!!!!! :D
Gallivant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Gallivant
@Iron Apollo said:
"
I agree. But still it looks like a rad movie!
  @marvelunivers
said:
" this doesn't make sense 100 apes versus 7 billion people "
"
Thats the exact mentality that Hollywood banks on. Make a cool looking/marketable movie with a crap story will still make millions.

In any case, the only way this story I think that will make it work is if that "Cure" thing they were working on ends up killing all Humans like some Uber biological weapon.
Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Iron Apollo
@Gallivant:  Of course that's hollywoods mentality, It's also been the mentality of all the planet of the apes movies. Make it look cool and give it shock factor. In the first movie the statue of liberty being on the beach wasn't just for story it was for shock, and later used for marketing due to that shock. You can have the best story in the world but if can't market it and sell it who cares. It's about whether or not it has the whole package like the first iron man movie, the rebooted batman movies, and even the first transformers movie. These movies all had good stories but they were also marketed very well. Yes it would be amazing if all movies had wonderful stories that felt like they could happen or at least had logic, and I hope this one does end up in that category but if it doesn't it better entertain my butt off. Especially if i pay to see it in the theater.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Is this an ongoing or a mini?