#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it seems to be pretty darn good:

The Telegraph's Tim Robey praised the film, stating: "At first, watching Pacific Rim feels like rediscovering a favourite childhood cartoon – but del Toro has flooded the project with such affection and artistry that, rather than smiling nostalgically, you find yourself enchanted all over again."[68]Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter gave the film a positive review, stating: "Guillermo del Toro's paradoxically derivative yet imaginative sci-fi epic is everything that monster movies since the beginning of time might have wished they could be."[69]Drew McWeeny of HitFix praised other aspects of the film: "The production design by Andrew Neskoromny and Carol Spier and the art direction by Elinor Rose Galbraith and Richard L. Johnson is masterful, and the film has an amazing, vivid palette that is captured perfectly by Guillermo Navarro's photography... It doesn't hurt that Ramin Djawadi has written a ridiculously cool score.[70]"The Guardian's Andrew Pulver was less enthusiastic, stating that the film's "wafer-thin psychodrama and plot-generator dialogue provides little for the human component to get their teeth into".[71]

Director Rian Johnson praised the film, saying: "Go into Pacific Rim prepared to be transmogrified into a 12 year old... I love it so much."[72] Japanese game director Hideo Kojima gave the film a six-post review on Twitter, calling it the "ultimate otaku film" and stating he "never imagined [he] would be fortunate enough to see a film like this in [his] life".[73] Musician Kanye West stated it was "easily one of [his] favorite movies of all time."[74]

But what about the dreaded Rotten Tomatoes I hear you cry? Well so far it's 79% Rated Fresh with 15 reviews. Sure it's still early but it's a good start right?

#2 Posted by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

Giant robots fighting giant monster. What's not to love?

#3 Posted by Chibi_cute (4589 posts) - - Show Bio

Pacific rim makes the bayformers movie look like a trash..

THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE A MECHA MOVIE. michael bay

#4 Posted by The Stegman (25522 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't like mech movies, even if the director is great.

#5 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibi_cute: I hear del Toro makes some subtle digs at the Bay films

@the_stegman: Well you could just block out the mecha and focus on the kaiju? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#6 Edited by The Stegman (25522 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I don't like giant monsters either >.> I tried watching the Godzilla films and couldn't. This movie holds zero interest to me.

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (7511 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Rian Johnson's outlook on the movie. I actually have a 12 year old and this looks like a perfect movie for us to go see.

#8 Posted by Gambit474 (1486 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I don't like giant monsters either >.> I tried watching the Godzilla films and couldn't. This movie holds zero interest to me.

then don't watch it..Though imo it's better then a majority of the crap that comes out nowadays that isn't a comic book film. Anywho I wouldn't sweat the reviews too much..do recall the critics and earlier reviews of Man of Steel were pretty bad but MOS did fairly well

#9 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow...a co-sign from Kanye West? The auteur of high-art fancy-shmancy prog rap is co-signing a movie about giant robots and giant monsters? That alone's piqued my interest to see this movie.

No love for giant robots and giant monsters? You must be of the female species.

(I kid, I kid)

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Kanye likes that stuff though doesn't he? I seem to recall him being in to manga and stuff? I don't know maybe I'm making that up

@longbowhunter: Yea del Toro went out of his way to make sure this film inspires awe in kids just like the old films did for him

#11 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Kanye likes that stuff though doesn't he? I seem to recall him being in to manga and stuff? I don't know maybe I'm making that up

I remember in his 2007 Graduation phase he was really into Japanese pop culture, I think he did state to him being into manga or something. But it seems more like a minor liking than a serious one.

But considering current Kanye and his high-art sensibilities, I am quite surprised at this co-sign.

#12 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if this movie does good, my hopes of a true live-action Gundam movie could become a possibility. (No one mention G-Saviour.....it should have never been allowed to be made.)

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Well I just did a quick google and apparently Kenye has actually wrote his own manga before

#14 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Well I just did a quick google and apparently Kenye has actually wrote his own manga before

Yeah I heard about that, though idk if it was ever actually published.

#15 Posted by Chibi_cute (4589 posts) - - Show Bio

What i like of del toro is he listens to his fans.

And he doesnt dumb down his movies just for the general audiences to understand.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yeah I heard about that, though idk if it was ever actually published.

I don't know ether, maybe I'll check for it at some point

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

What i like of del toro is he listens to his fans.

And he doesnt dumb down his movies just for the general audiences to understand.

I think because he is himself a true fan and wants to make the films he gets involved in something fantastic for himself. This guy is my favorite director, I love to listen to the commentary tracks he does on his films too- he's articulate and funny and so totally into the minutia of every aspect of his films. I will spend the money to see this film at least twice, if not 3 times just to support this effort (and I'm currently unemployed).

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted: It's true, del Toro is definitely a super fan but he's also an amazing director so when he makes a film it usually ends in a win/win situation

#20 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: yes, win/win is so win, good to be on the winning side with him- haters can hate all they want, we are impervious

#21 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by JohnnyGat (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if this movie does good, my hopes of a true live-action Gundam movie could become a possibility. (No one mention G-Saviour.....it should have never been allowed to be made.)

G-Saviour

#23 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't gonna see it, good reviews or not.

#24 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx said:

G-Saviour

You sir suck. LOL

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Just like The Stegman, Gian robots and Monsters aren't my thing.

#27 Edited by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks like it will be my new favourite film. It just looks like so much fun to watch.

Also, naming the colossal monster-slaying robots Jaegers is very cool.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_ said:

@jonny_anonymous: Just like The Stegman, Gian robots and Monsters aren't my thing.

Each to there own I suppose but I think this would be a great movie regardless

#29 Edited by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

I clicked for the review but was more intrigued at the Kanye convo that was going on =P

Superman started out like that on rotten tomatoes too and then the score plummeted. So yeah, we wait.

#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson said:

I clicked for the review but was more intrigued at the Kanye convo that was going on =P

Superman started out like that on rotten tomatoes too and then the score plummeted. So yeah, we wait.

Naw MoS dropped to like 50% on the first day

#31 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Yea thats what I mean actually. I was tracking MoS that entire day and it started off in the 70% range and dropped shortly after.

#32 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson: Well it's still at 75% with 24 reviews

#33 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

It's up to 85% now =D

#34 Posted by NicholasAgot (234 posts) - - Show Bio

A movie with that much build up should be pretty action packed. But in order for it to get a really high rating ( 85% ) It also should have a good story line. Any ways....

SUPER ULTRA MEGA WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#35 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5228 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure it'll be better than MoS

#36 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34344 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure it'll be better than MoS

Well the critics think so, I just hope it does better financially

#37 Posted by Wolverine08 (45122 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome! We need a good CBM this year after Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 kind of failed to meet expectations.

#38 Posted by Pop123 (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking more foward to it now. Thanks.