Don't know how much interest I have in Marvel Comics anymore

BEAR812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BEAR812

First let me say, that I have'nt read or collected comics in 10 years.  

Aside from the purchase of some graphic novels and the Collected volumes of Marvel Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, and Ultimate Spiderman, I have no idea what's been going on in the Marvel Universe. I know I've missed a lot. 

In the past three months I've been scrambling to get caught up on DC's New 52, (which I am enjoying) and when Marvel announced their "reboot" in the form of Marvel Now, I figured it would be as good a time as any to get back on board. For me, DC's reboot has been a blast.  Superman's new look took some getting used to, but its a been a fun ride so far.

I have read the Uncanny Avengers #1, and have yet to get my hands on Deadpool #1, and Iron Man #1, but I'll be honest, I'm not encouraged by what I've seen so far. I've heard people rip the new 52, but as an outsider coming back in, I have enjoyed most of what I have read, and DC dominates my pull list. I even find myself picking up other titles I may have not even considered because someone makes an appearance or they just seem cool. As a kid I had NO interest in Flash, Green Lantern, or Aquaman outside the JLA, but I now look forward to these titles maybe the most. 

One of my biggest Marvel dissapointments so far is A+X. Seemed like a promising title that would be in the old stlye of Marvel Tales or Team Up, (showing my age here) but it really just pissed me off. Even Marvel Presents: Wolverine back in the late eighties and early nineties had more substance and story than A+X. The first story with Captain America was all right, but the second story left me saying WTF!?!? This comes on the heels of several other dissapointments as well... I had several Ultimate titles when I began my sub service (mostly because I had volumes collecting the various Ultimate series' from the last decade), and I dropped them after one issue. Peter Parker dead? C'mon... I realise some people may enjoy the new direction, and I have no opinion on  it either way. They just were'nt for me anymore.  

I had also subbed to Marvel Universe Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the animated style, but find these titles to be less than expected as well. I loved Ty Templeton on anything Animated Batman, but not so much on Spidey, maybe cause the stories suck and seem to be very much geared at  a juvenile Disney audience.  

When I was younger, I never held allegiance to one publisher. I wasn't just a Marvel guy, or a DC guy. Some of my favorite reads came from both camps. I have a feeling once Captain America comes out, Iron Man, Thor and some of the Team titles, if they feel as if it's really a jumping on point, a starting point, I'll be okay. But right now, I feel like "Wow, Marvel sucks." I hope they change my mind. As a kid Amazing Spiderman, and the X-men were two of my Marvel favorites. I was'nt really into the Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, etc... I was (am) hoping Marvel Now makes me want to read these characters. I don't want to miss any of the new "relaunches", but I am really hoping they don't make me feel like I'm throwing my money away.