Does your significant other know comics?

• 48 results
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Last night while catching the tail end of the Real Housewives of Orange County, I found myself making comments to my fiancée about the show (which I despise). All of the sudden, I became angered that not only do I know what's going on in the show, I know the characteristics of all these women and their husbands. Come to think of it, I am a veritable treasure trove of trivia knowledge about Sex and the City as well and have seen Dirty Dancing, Coyote Ugly and Moulin Rogue more times than I can count.

So I said to her: I know everything about what you enjoy and you know absolutely nothing about what I enjoy. I proceed with the following test:

Q: What planet is the Silver Surfer from?

A: Krypton (no hesitation)

Q: Who made the Silver Surfer?

A: Batman

Q: Name ONE member of the Guardians of the Galaxy

A: After complaining about the difficulty of the question - Frankie Raye (she knows the name because that is what I named my cat)

While I found these answers quite humorous, they were still way off base. Am I angry she doesn't know/care or am I angry because I have to see the Real Housewives everyday?

Does your significant other know anything about your comics interest? Have you ever had them give a hilarious response like the ones above?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Haha, wow.
Currently single but in my previous relationships the extent of sharing interests would at best include watching comic book movies together, and perhaps her listen to my rants on difference between the movie and comic.
All while i have to endure countless crappy tv-shows, and in a low-point of my life even watched the Twilight movies. Well, live and learn.

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Battlepig

Oh man, I know the situation. I used to have quite a bit of fun with my lovely now-ex about stuff that happened in comics. But as it turns out, the world of comics is vast and confusing. And our laughter about those who have no idea doesn't really help matters much. However, it just is damn funny.

@fesak Watching the Twilight movies... it's not the worst thing to do. After all, it makes you appreciate any other movie just so much more. Any other movie, even crap like "Cross". So it's all in good fun, I'd say. Besides, isn't that the sort of crap we do for our significant others?

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Malonius

I've got my wife to the point where she can tell me if characters are DC or Marvel with about 85% accuracy.  I've got her to read a few comics (including a couple superhero books), and she's not opposed to nerdery in general, I just don't think the art form of comics particularly appeals to her. On my recommendations, she's read several sci-fi classic novels, watched Firefly, Star Trek, read and watched Harry Potter, and watched plenty of superhero movies and enjoyed them all. Her nerd score has definitely gone up since being with me...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

My girlfriend knows all about my comic love and has even read a few comics I've given her. She loved the Thor movie and seems really excited about Green Lantern as well as X-Men First Class. I talked her into reading X-Men Origins: Deadpool when we were in a Books A Million. She seemed a little upset that there wasn't an issue #2 after explaining it was only a "one-shot".  
Mighty Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mighty Max

Well all my other half knows is:
Bruce Wayne=Batman
Clark Kent=Superman
That's where her comic book knowledge starts and ends.
In fairness I did bring her to a football match once (soccer as you yanks call it) and she sat there and did her make-up, then about 20 minutes into the game she goes "has the game started yet?" So yeah.....

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Hee hee your woman sounds awesome dude, I love her answers... who made the Silver Surfer... BATMAN :D

I would hope my husband/baby daddy knows comics as he is one of the top mods on this site ;)

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fesak  Moderator
@Battlepig said:
Oh man, I know the situation. I used to have quite a bit of fun with my lovely now-ex about stuff that happened in comics. But as it turns out, the world of comics is vast and confusing. And our laughter about those who have no idea doesn't really help matters much. However, it just is damn funny.
@fesak Watching the Twilight movies... it's not the worst thing to do. After all, it makes you appreciate any other movie just so much more. Any other movie, even crap like "Cross". So it's all in good fun, I'd say. Besides, isn't that the sort of crap we do for our significant others?
I also had to promise to keep my sarcastic remarks to myself, which i can tell you wasn't easy.
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sora_thekey

Funny you should mention that. I am single now but this girl I dated didn't know a thing about comic books but she could reference Naruto better than most of my friends.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By turoksonofstone

All of my those with which I involve myself are thoroughly indoctrinated.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

I'm so lonely.... oh well!

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vitality

Is it not your fault that she doesn't know?

I mean...if you went this long without her knowing...you must of never told her.

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#13  Edited By kartron

Lol that is hilarious. Silver surfer from Krypton!!! :D
My wife knows bit of the characters these days. Recently I somehow convinced her to watch "Batman Begins" and then "Spider-Man" first movie and now she is completely sunk into Batman hush and Ultimate Spider-man books! She just loves Batman and (UNFORTUNATELY) CHRISTIAN BALE!!!!!! :( :D

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Primmaster64
@Mighty Max said:
Well all my other half knows is:Bruce Wayne=BatmanClark Kent=SupermanThat's where her comic book knowledge starts and ends.In fairness I did bring her to a football match once (soccer as you yanks call it) and she sat there and did her make-up, then about 20 minutes into the game she goes "has the game started yet?" So yeah.....
No Peter Parker?
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Well the fact that I met my girlfriend on ComicVine and that she can tell me anything about X-23, New X-Men, knows that I love Bucky Barnes and was willing to literally learn as much as she can about him just for me, along with Black Widow (one of my favorite Marvel heroines), watches and loves both Avengers: EMH and Wolverine and the X-Men (not to mention Batman Beyond, Thundercats, and is obsessed with Star Trek), and that her and I can literally sit down for hours and talk none-stop about RPG ideas and other RPG related topics......I'd say I'm the freakin' luckiest guy on the planet <3

XDespairX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By XDespairX
@War Killer said:
Well the fact that I met my girlfriend on ComicVine and that she can tell me anything about X-23, New X-Men, knows that I love Bucky Barnes and was willing to literally learn as much as she can about him just for me, along with Black Widow (one of my favorite Marvel heroines), watches and loves both Avengers: EMH and Wolverine and the X-Men (not to mention Batman Beyond, Thundercats, and is obsessed with Star Trek), and that her and I can literally sit down for hours and talk none-stop about RPG ideas and other RPG related topics......I'd say I'm the freakin' luckiest guy on the planet <3
You bet. She's awesome! :D
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@Despair said:
@War Killer said:
You bet. She's awesome! :D
I know, right?! ^_____^
Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Manchine

Yes my wife knows a little about comics.  She can name pretty much everyone that is cool.  She has used Bizzaro and Shields in a conversation.  =)   I have corrupted her well.
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@Vitality said:

Is it not your fault that she doesn't know?

I mean...if you went this long without her knowing...you must of never told her.

Trust me, she has heard the name of the mighty Galactus!

I've tried, it's just not her thing. I told her one day she is going to watch some DCAU with me, but it hasn't happened yet. Reading some replies here reminds me she did go see The Dark Knight with me and said "it wasn't bad."

I think I'm just mad because I hate the Real Housewives. They are on as I type this. SAME EPISODE AS LAST NIGHT!!! ARRGGHH!

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20  Edited By BKole

My girlfriend tries quite hard to be honest, but she isn't that bothered by it. She doesn't ever match my level of voracity and most of the time isn't that interested. It's okay though, because I don't care about her going to Church or take any interest in that. So it evens out.

davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By davelecave

My wife actually knows a lot of the characters and teams.  I convinced her to read the Hawkeye and Mockingbird mini so she could learn the characters, because we went as Hawkeye and Mockingbird for Halloween and she made the costumes from scratch (they were awesome).

I do find myself trying to explain intricacies to her, though, and get a blank stare back.  Like the other day she asked me what the House of M was... haha that explanation ended quickly.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HellionVulcan

why do u have to watch the tv show if u dislike it ? ,sounds stupid that you'd be forced to watch it but i haven't met a female with decent comic knowledge so i can't say its ever been a discussion .

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@jloneblackheart said:

Last night while catching the tail end of the Real Housewives of Orange County, I found myself making comments to my fiancée about the show (which I despise). All of the sudden, I became angered that not only do I know what's going on in the show, I know the characteristics of all these women and their husbands. Come to think of it, I am a veritable treasure trove of trivia knowledge about Sex and the City as well and have seen Dirty Dancing, Coyote Ugly and Moulin Rogue more times than I can count.

So I said to her: I know everything about what you enjoy and you know absolutely nothing about what I enjoy. I proceed with the following test:

Q: What planet is the Silver Surfer from?

A: Krypton (no hesitation)

Q: Who made the Silver Surfer?

A: Batman

Q: Name ONE member of the Guardians of the Galaxy

A: After complaining about the difficulty of the question - Frankie Raye (she knows the name because that is what I named my cat)

While I found these answers quite humorous, they were still way off base. Am I angry she doesn't know/care or am I angry because I have to see the Real Housewives everyday?

Does your significant other know anything about your comics interest? Have you ever had them give a hilarious response like the ones above?

At least she got one right. 

BATMAN IS THE CREATOR OF ALL.

And I don't have a significant other.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes it's better to feign interest in a girlfriend's or wife's television shows. Dragging them to DC/Marvel movies then doesn't seem so much a compromise, but an act of revenge.

Remoness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Remoness

My "significant other" is what brought me here. :D

HumanNumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HumanNumber

The girl I'm with now actually works at my local comic book shop, so she knows quite a bit.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By armylife1124

My wife can name the stuff from the movies, but not very detailed.  She supports me being a comic fan, so that's all that really matters to me.
Even a lot of comic fans can not answer many questions about silver surfer.

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By -Eclipse-
@HellionVulcan said:
why do u have to watch the tv show if u dislike it ?

LOL, a clear sign you haven't had a girlfriend yet :P
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SC  Moderator

Ahah, those answers are great! Awwh its sad she doesn't know Surfer more! Anyone seen that Simpsons episode Homer buys Marge a bowling ball? Maybe some Surfer TPB's could be someone's random midweek present...  

The last significant, significant other I had was great with comics and she would steal my Fables, Sandman and Elektra issues/TPB's but still was still fuzzy on what characters were Marvel, DC or Independent. Old school WWE wrestling references is what she struggled with. 

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One girlfriend grilled me on anything in comics, so she pretty much knew more than me (not that I knew much to begin with). I don't remember watching shows with her because she didn't own a TV and she glued herself to the computer. I showed her Smallville once and she just shrugged. She was the best.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@HellionVulcan
why do u have to watch the tv show if u dislike it ? ,sounds stupid that you'd be forced to watch it but i haven't met a female with decent comic knowledge so i can't say its ever been a discussion .
It's just always on. I can't NOT pay attention to a television when it's on. She doesn't make me watch it, but it's my fault I pay attention. Usually I watch for five or ten minutes and then leave for CV.
Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

My wife is the biggest anime/manga nerd I have ever met and I've been to anime conventions with her so I would know! I swear if she was computer literate she would be on Anime Vice 24/7! But the minute I start talking Marvel or DC she just zones out!

RedSteel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RedSteel15

I've been getting my girlfriend into some comics. She's been reading Walking Dead, Invincible, Chew, Hellboy, Watchmen and some Batman. Oh, and some Star Wars.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Primmaster64
@War Killer said:
...What?
Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37  Edited By Roxanne Starr
@SC

If I had a SO who had never looked at a comic book, I wouldn't try to force one on him.

But I had a SO once who wasn't an art lover...and it was "Adios Amigo!"
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SC  Moderator
@kfhrfdu_89_76k:  Coolness!  Oh and lol at your other post.  

@Roxanne Starr:  Gosh, and the SO was not even smart enough to pretend to like art in order to keep your company Roxanne? I say he was foolish then, foolish, foolish mortal. 
VenomX10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By VenomX10

If my girlfriend knew I read comics, shed probably dump me in a second
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 581

#40  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

my last ex hates reading with a passion but she didn't mind my comics side since it paid the bills, I did get her to read all the Lenore trades though and she liked them. I never pushed on it though cause I hated her two fav shows Buffy and Charmed so I didn't bug her about comics and she didn't make me watch her shows.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Mercy_
@pikahyper said:
I hated her two fav shows Buffy and Charmed.
 -________________-
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress: Not my fault they suck :P The only real Buffy for me is the original movie !!! oh and she loved Gilmore Girls too and I hated that.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mercy_
@pikahyper: I don't even..............you're insane x_X
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress: Well ya everybody knows that, I've never been a big Whedon fan only thing of his that I thought was good was Firefly and I just finally watched that this year and loved it. And the original Buffy movie is a freakin classic !!!!
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mercy_
@pikahyper: Original Buffy was corny as hell. It was terrible. I suppose your love of Firefly redeems you. It's a well-known fact that I fangirl hard for Joss and Firefly in particular. 
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress: Yep I remember, I always know what buttons to push to get on a woman's good side :D

and corny is good !!!! Donald Sutherland was awesome, David Arquette was funny and Luke Perry was freakin dreamy.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mercy_
@pikahyper: Curse you and your wily ways! >_<  

Nooooooooooo. No no no lol. 
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress: ✿◕‿◕✿
Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49  Edited By Roxanne Starr

Good evening, SC!

He was dumb as a rock. He had beautiful hair down to his waist!...but he was dumb as a rock.

Orttodrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Orttodrog

My fiance knows and loves my admiration for comics, especially comics pertaining to Aquaman, Swamp Thing, and Blue Beetle(Ted Kord). She has also gone out of her way to read comics so she doesnt feel so in the dark when i go into my tirads about how comics suck and i want 90s back. 

My fiance also answered all these answers correctly, i love her