Does Religion in Comic Books Bother You?

• 59 results
MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By MrMiracle77

What bothers me most about the use of religion in comic books boils down the the function that it actually serves. All too often, religion is used for one of two purposes:

1- As a shortcut to characterization.

2- To fulfill a writer/artists interests or their perception of their reader's awareness.

There's nothing new about using religion as a characterization shortcut. Daredevil needs to be Catholic because Catholics are wracked with perpetual guilt. Right? Well, no. Their portrayal leans in that direction in media. Other times, though, you end up with portrayals that are so completely opposite of the stereotype that they stand out rather blatantly. Monet, for example.

I think my favorite portrayal of a religious character in comics comes from the short-lived Streets of Gotham series; issues 5 and 6. An invisible villain tries to goad a priest into killing Huntress and Man-Bat by pretending to be the voice of an angel. I initially thought this was going to be a religious-people-are-crazy type storyline, but was pleasantly surprised in the end when the priest stalls long enough to zero in on the villain's position and then clubs him with a shotgun.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am ok with depicting religions in comic books to reflect real life. Maybe we can see some superheroes have love affairs with priests and nuns.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By lightsout

@jorgevy said:

true and i may have come off a bit rude, but I believe people, even having such experiences, should at least try to be reasonable or acceptant. the OP seemed ticked off with something the writers did almost surely unintentionally and that's not healthy. but as I said, if he really feels that way, then he should pick another comic, I dont think the writers even think about what they do as something that might be offensive to some, because it's really just casual

I think the initial "ticked off vibe" people similar to the OP give off is because they're used to only encountering people don't understand what they feel. When I brought up the possibility of having a bad-experience the OP actually seemed to lose that "edge" (/was relieved). But I agree, in the large scope - just don't read something you don't agree with/that upsets you. (However, if it was a discussion framed as "whoelse chooses not to pick up certain titles because they feel this way?" I'd have no issue. That's just reaching out for people with similar viewpoints (which we all like to have, to not feel alone in our way of thinking)).

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I mean it all depends on how much they push the religious aspect with the characters and why they do it. Daredevil being Catholic is a big part of the character and makes sense given who he is, his past, and what influences him as a hero. If for example, Spider-man started being highly religious it wouldn't make sense and it would bother me as he's never really been that religious. The thing to remember with all of this is there are people out there that are heavily influenced by their religion. If there were no characters like Simon Baz or like Daredevil who let their religion shape their characters then there'd be an odd disconnect because those people do exist.

MSzekeresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think it really depends on how the writer uses the characters religion to explain their motivation or flesh out there character. I love Ben Grimm's jewishness because it lets me know more about who he is as a person. Nightcrawlers religiosity was also fun until that terrible story where a group wanted to set him up as the next pope to undercut catholics. That whole story was ridiculous.

kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sometimes, comic book writers talk about a certain character's religious beliefs, or make a religious figure a plot device (Superman for Tomorrow (priest), Daredevil: Born Again (his mom)). For example, right now I'm reading the first arc of the second volume of Daredevil created by Smith, Quesada, and Palmiotti. I love Daredevil, but this first arc (probably because its focus is on the antichrist) keeps referencing Matt's Catholic heritage, and it seriously bothers me. Daredevil's one of my favorite characters, but because I am atheist, Smith's emphasis on Daredevil facing his religious beliefs turns me away.

I love Thor and Asgard and Orion and the New Gods and Wonder Woman's Greek Gods, but talking about Christianity in Daredevil, or Islam in Green Lantern (Simon Baz), affects my reading negatively.

What do you guys think?

That kind of like saying that you are bother by people who belive in their faith and it also shows that you do not respect the comic characters. Christianity is in Daredevil because Matt is irish american and most Irish people are catholic in comics books you are going to see different religion, politicus and perspective due to the fact that everyone has their own belive system.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leaving religion completely out of the universe would be unrealistic, and often times a characters' religion can be an important plot point. Just because I don't share their beliefs, it doesn't mean the character should change to be more like me. That would just be narcissistic. I do, however, think religion in comic books can go too far. Observe below:

No Caption Provided

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Some of my favourite characters are heaven/hell based, so no, I'm not bothered in the least.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By reignmaker

Sometimes, comic book writers talk about a certain character's religious beliefs, or make a religious figure a plot device (Superman for Tomorrow (priest), Daredevil: Born Again (his mom)). For example, right now I'm reading the first arc of the second volume of Daredevil created by Smith, Quesada, and Palmiotti. I love Daredevil, but this first arc (probably because its focus is on the antichrist) keeps referencing Matt's Catholic heritage, and it seriously bothers me. Daredevil's one of my favorite characters, but because I am atheist, Smith's emphasis on Daredevil facing his religious beliefs turns me away.

I love Thor and Asgard and Orion and the New Gods and Wonder Woman's Greek Gods, but talking about Christianity in Daredevil, or Islam in Green Lantern (Simon Baz), affects my reading negatively.

What do you guys think?

Does it bother you that some people think differently than you do? Do you only hang out with other atheists?