#1 Edited by OfficialAlexJMercer (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen people fight,argue, and discuss about using grammar

Some say there computer lags and or just don't want to use proper grammar and so do you agree or disagree about grammar on the internet

#2 Edited by JohnnyZ256 (1564 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I like good grammar, so yes, I definitely prefer it. Though I've seen thousands of grammatical errors by posters on the Internet and I've rarely mentioned them.

#3 Posted by OfficialAlexJMercer (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyZ256 i understand that statement but with me i dont care on which someone uses correct or just text talk

#4 Posted by The_Tree (6411 posts) - - Show Bio

To an extent. I don't expect people or myself to be perfect grammar users online, but a use of capitalization, commas, and punctuation marks should at least be a given. I do, however, expect good grammar usage on online things such as news articles.

#5 Posted by Kangaxx_54 (261 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, grammar and spelling matter. It makes text much easier to read, and like it or not, good grammar & spelling gives off an air of maturity that one won't get by using sms-abbreviations, not capitalizing, not making spaces after commas etc. Also, with spellcheckers built into most browsers, there really isn't much excuse for misspellings, and it just gives off an air of laziness.

There are, of course, a lot of middle ground. I don't mind the occasional error, and some people are word-blind (? not sure what the English term is; I'm using a direct translation from danish here). English is not my native language, and I'm sure that there's some funky grammar here and there in my posts. I doubt I'm the only one still learning English.

Have to admit though, I really dislike it when people use 'your' instead of 'you're'. I never call attention to it, but it gives me shivers when I see it.

#6 Edited by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I could care less about grammar on forums, but like The_Tree said, articles, blogs, wikis, and other "official" (If you can call them that) documents should have perfect grammar. Spelling, capitalization, and grammar mistakes are unacceptable to me when I read an article on CNN. However, there are often mistakes in Comicvine Editorial Reviews, but I don't mind that very much.

#7 Posted by Killemall (16959 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesnt , at least not on the battle forum.

I am quite regular in battle forum, and making grammatical as well as spelling error is pretty much what i am very good at doing :p and that hasnt mattered to anyone i have debated thus far.

Sure if you are writing a whole article or something official for the world to see, in a professional capacity (e.g. G-man writing an article on Thanos) you would expect the grammar to be pretty solid, although small mistakes can ignite giggles its not normally frowned upon.

Thats different from someone post in a thread or forum, people want information not grammar. As far as battle forum is concerned people worry about knowledge, and logic, rather than grammar.

#8 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7247 posts) - - Show Bio

No GrAmmare dosent mater at alll nether dose speling.

Kidding. :P

Personally, I prefer good grammar and spelling, but there's always going to be people on the forums who don't really care that much about it.

For this reason I've made it a point to build up my internet deciphering skills. :)

#9 Posted by Dabee (2359 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen people fight,argue, and discuss about using grammar

Some say there computer lags and or just don't want to use proper grammar and so do you agree or disagree about grammar on the internet

That would be "their computer lags."*

So, yes it does matter. You're welcome. lol

#10 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

I suffer from a minor case of dyslexia, so yes, I do prefer good grammar and spelling, as bad spelling/grammar tend to mess with my head more.

#11 Edited by czechoslovakia (85 posts) - - Show Bio

Internet language is generally colloquial anyway so i don't really care, unless it's from/for a professional and legitimate source.

#12 Edited by JediXMan (27929 posts) - - Show Bio

One should always strive to present themselves in the best light possible - no, poor grammar does not present somebody in a positive light.

#13 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (7790 posts) - - Show Bio

If you know what I mean then no

Seriously I hate how the internet turns into 4th Grade English class

#14 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (14189 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, If you want yourself taken seriously, yes.

#15 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

Unless you, and the people around you, realize that you have so thoroughly dominated grammar that you just don't give a f**k anymore.

That's why Tumblr... types like Tumblr.

#16 Edited by k4tzm4n (35208 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a fairly subjective question. I don't care if someone posts like this as long as dey can still spell and use proper grammah when dey need to like business stuffs n emails n all day okay maybi dis is pretti annoyin but whatevs yo.

That said, it's difficult to take posts like that seriously and not assume you're conversing with a 10 year-old.

Staff
#17 Edited by KnightRise (4753 posts) - - Show Bio

Only becuase trolling are a art.

#18 Edited by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#19 Edited by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say it does matter. When someone has proper grammar, I usually think more highly of them.

#20 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

Not unless you are a journalist or a blogger. As long as people can understand what you're saying, grammar isn't very important.

#21 Posted by New_World_Order (11159 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesnt , at least not on the battle forum.

I am quite regular in battle forum, and making grammatical as well as spelling error is pretty much what i am very good at doing :p and that hasnt mattered to anyone i have debated thus far.

Sure if you are writing a whole article or something official for the world to see, in a professional capacity (e.g. G-man writing an article on Thanos) you would expect the grammar to be pretty solid, although small mistakes can ignite giggles its not normally frowned upon.

Thats different from someone post in a thread or forum, people want information not grammar. As far as battle forum is concerned people worry about knowledge, and logic, rather than grammar.

This. A better topic would be "does it matter if comic books have grammar mistakes, because well i've seen a couple in Age Of Ultron, lol.

#22 Edited by Pokeysteve (7016 posts) - - Show Bio

People can type however they want. TypInG liK dis though makes you look like an idiot. There are certain basics everyone should know unless you're from another country and English is your second language. I'm a grammar nazi but for the most part it doesn't bother me on here. The only thing that gets me is when people don't use apostrophes correctly and "a lot" is two words.

#23 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3773 posts) - - Show Bio

I've noticed grammar isn't so important to some, but it's appreciated. On the internet people can get the wrong idea on what you mean if you spell things wrong.

#24 Posted by The Stegman (20734 posts) - - Show Bio

In a way, I don't mind the occasional error, like if you use "to" instead of "too" when talking about inclusion, but If u talk liek dis, It gets really annoying.

#25 Posted by ImmortalOne (2846 posts) - - Show Bio

Good grammar is preferred, but really, it is necessary to go to YouTube and put a one word comment correcting "their*" when someone said "there?"

#26 Posted by TDK_1997 (13684 posts) - - Show Bio

It matters.But people can't judge others that aren't from USA,England or some other english talking country.

#27 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

In a way, I don't mind the occasional error, like if you use "to" instead of "too" when talking about inclusion, but If u talk liek dis, It gets really annoying.

This.

#28 Posted by The Stegman (20734 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

It matters.But people can't judge others that aren't from USA,England or some other english talking country.

English /speaking/ country :P

#29 Posted by Daaerk (204 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

@tdk_1997 said:

English /speaking/ country :P

Lol!

Yeah, I totally agree, it really gets on my nerves.

Overall, for me personally, I need be able to live with at least manageable grammar, like @Stegman said.

Daaerk

#30 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (9872 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer people to use proper grammar. That is why we have it after all. A mistake here and there is fine..but if you type like an idiot it bothers me.