#1 Posted by Bezza (3373 posts) - - Show Bio

Thinking this the other day when watching "brave and the bold" animated series with my daughter, where Flash took an age to catch a speeding van and ran into a punch from Green Lantern whilst he was mind controlled.... If Flash was always written using his powers to the max, he'd basically take out any villain and be back home drinking an energy drink before you've blinked. In reality, he gets tagged quite easily by some fairly innocuous baddies! Are Flash's powers more inconsistently applied than any other character?

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (38640 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup.

#3 Edited by Perethorn (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason of why he is nerfed is because his ablities are OP to stupide levels.

#4 Posted by Wolverine08 (38640 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason of why he is nerfed is because his ablities are OP to stupide levels.

This.

#5 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

He's as powerful as the writer needs/wants him to be for the given story.

#6 Edited by Jayc1324 (9404 posts) - - Show Bio

He has the potential to be one of the most effective, powerful, and efficient hero ever. There aren't many villains that he can't take care of easily so they have to make him seem somewhat weaker.

#7 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

True, but he should be written better in other media.

The current Flash series is great!

#8 Posted by heymanjack (716 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash has more showings of him being tagged/hurt/one-upped than him showing his so-called full potential. Basically, he is really not all that.

#9 Posted by lightsout (1823 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely. I understand when it's for the sake of the story, but the inconsistency of it is a bit maddening (that said, I still loved John's run w/Wally). There was one moment that sticks out in my head where he's running & there's a bunch of pigeons mid-air ("frozen" at the speed Flash is moving) & he says something along the lines of "I better be careful, if I hit one of these birds at this speed, it'll punch a hole in my chest". Really?? All the other forces you've withstood & that'd kill you? His powers could have been dumbed down without something so ridiculous being said.

#10 Posted by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

People have said.. And it makes sense.. That if he was at full capacity alll the time.. He'd go insane ! Quicksilver .. Whose massively slower than Flash feels as though he's stuck waiting in line at the DMV (if you've ever been.. It's maddening) so imagine how flash feels ! I don't blame him for keeping it slow lol

#11 Posted by ColaNicole (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah he does, didn't Superman catch him in their first encounter? And beat him with a flick?

#12 Posted by spidermanandsuperman (274 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: pretty sure that was from the jl show and yeah he is

#13 Posted by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

@colanicole:

He was dancing around Supes and didn't expect Supernan to be as quick as he was ! So Superman tried to punch him.. Flash leaned back just centimeters away from the punch showing off.. Then Supes extended his finger and knocked him away ! Quite funny, but if Flash doesn't want any one touching him.. They probably won't !

#14 Edited by Onemoreposter (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

....Batman.....

#15 Posted by w0nd (2873 posts) - - Show Bio

In flash point when cap boomer blocked his punch and tagged him i LOL'd

#16 Posted by Bezza (3373 posts) - - Show Bio

But why do the comic writers make him hold back?! Its like they deliberately want him to be restricted to the level of lower league character! Considering he doesn't have lots of powers like Martian ManHunter or Superman, why can't they let him rip with his speed thing?!

#17 Posted by deaditegonzo (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. And he definitely needs to be nerfed because most of his rogues gallery are terribly ill-equipped to face him.

Also, he experienced a much greater expansion of his capabilities than any other character, up until the new 52.

#18 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

....Batman.....

Nope... Chuck Tes..... wait i mean... NOPE BATWOMAN!!!

Is just me or the new guys depend more in PIS that the old ones?

#19 Posted by Onemoreposter (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

@onemoreposter said:

....Batman.....

Let me introduce you to my friend Geoff Johns.......

#20 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@onemoreposter said:

....Batman.....

Let me introduce you to my BFF Grant Morrison.

#21 Posted by Pokeysteve (8044 posts) - - Show Bio

Waid did an excellent job writing an extremely powerful Flash with credible threats.

Silver Surfer probably suffers more PIS than anyone else. With his power set he should be unbeatable by 95% of the Marvel universe.

#22 Edited by Onemoreposter (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

@onemoreposter said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@onemoreposter said:

....Batman.....

Morrison is so freaking awesome. I was being sarcastic about Geoff being my friend. The guy is a hack and his stories are rife with PIS. Morrison on the other hand is an excellent story crafter.

#23 Edited by RadioHPedroS (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much OP. Ive always thought about it. He gets more PIS than Batman and Superman together (And that is a lot)

#24 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4601 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash's super power is CIS/PIS. I don't understand how he can even have a decent story with his powers. Why doesn't he just infinite mass punch everyone? Why doesn't his story end with: Something terrible happened, 25 seconds later, Flash fixed it...?

( + )

#25 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10279 posts) - - Show Bio

He sorta has to be. I mean If he just started going all out and the plot isn't a bit tweeked, what would really challenge him. It'd be boring to watch and read.

#26 Edited by deaditegonzo (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash's super power is CIS/PIS. I don't understand how he can even have a decent story with his powers. Why doesn't he just infinite mass punch everyone? Why doesn't his story end with: Something terrible happened, 25 seconds later, Flash fixed it...?

( + )

Because he could do it much faster than 25 seconds.

"Something terrible happened, a picosecond later, Flash fixed it" :D

#27 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4601 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one said:

( + )

Because he could do it much faster than 25 seconds.

"Something terrible happened, a picosecond later, Flash fixed it" :D

EGG ZACK LEE! Why aren't all his stories like that picoseconds later...?

( + )

#28 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@onemoreposter said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@onemoreposter said:

....Batman.....

Morrison is so freaking awesome. I was being sarcastic about Geoff being my friend. The guy is a hack and his stories are rife with PIS. Morrison on the other hand is an excellent story crafter.

I like Grant Morrison, but red hair Jason Todd is example of how many people overrated him, he makes many mistakes and he flops many times, sure he is better that Allan Moore but that is based in the fact he loves his job and is not an arrogant ahole wi messiah complex.

#29 Edited by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

He could be the best hero ever but that would be extremely boring to read if he just took out everything and everyone before they even have time to react. so they write him running faster than most things but not willing to ramp his powers up to 11 unless absolutely needed

#30 Edited by Onemoreposter (3938 posts) - - Show Bio

@onemoreposter said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@onemoreposter said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@onemoreposter said:

....Batman.....

I like Grant Morrison, but red hair Jason Todd is example of how many people overrated him, he makes many mistakes and he flops many times, sure he is better that Allan Moore but that is based in the fact he loves his job and is not an arrogant ahole wi messiah complex.

lol, agreed on Alan Moore. I don't understand how red hair on Jason Todd proves Grant is overrated though? Pre-crisis, Todd wasn't a kid who Batman caught trying to steel tires off the Batmobile. Jason Todd was pretty much a carbon copy of Dick Grayson. He and his family were acrobats and when his parents were murdered Batman took him in and trained him.

The only real difference between Todd and Grayson was that Todd had red hair, which Batman made him dye black to create the illusion that there had only ever been one Robin. This is even partially explained during Morrison's run on Batman and Robin. Like many of his plot points over his long run on Batman, it was just another nod to pre-crisis continuity.

#31 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

@onemoreposter: From the fact it changed Jason Todd to get an almost carbon copy of The Joker.

Red Hair Jason it looked like the Joker of Killing Joke, i mean i remember they even have a torture soul monologe that sound the same and many people point in they wanted him to became the Joker.

Besides it undoes many of Jason development after he was back from the grave.