Does enhanced reflexes increase travel speed via jumping?

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By segamarvel

Lets say I use Quickwire as an example. All I know about him from his first appearance is that his reflexes are 100x faster then normal.... and yet all his movements were "Agile" based instead of Speedster based (as in just running). Lets say that from his point of view he's jumping 5 mph. does that mean that his reflexes increased that to at least 500 mph travel wise?

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By segamarvel

Let me use another example. Peter says his reflexes give him "raw speed" to "dazzle" the Hulk and MJ even jokingly says he could use that to help clean up the apartment. Then there was the time Pete complained that his reflexes were slow... when all he was doing was traveling via leaping. And he uses them to richochet off walls like a living pinball. So does this mean reflexes help travel speed via jumping and if he fought a speedster with reflexes slower then his it would make him slower via jumping (but not running)?

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Erkan12

Yep. Probably.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So let me try this one more time to see if I'm getting the right pattern. All of these movements are reflex based and yet that what constitutes for the raw speed of the movements? If that's how it works then that would technically make Spidey's claimed 40x reflexes putting him at supersonic speeds (though not in running speed, just everything else)

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: So does that mean if he used jumping as a travel method his reflexes would make him seem faster?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To some degree. Reflexes being good means your fast twitch muscles are fast which means faster running. But not because of jumping. That's agility/power

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: What about this? I know strength plays a role but I just wonder if characters with speed more revolved around reflexes based would make it seem faster. Like How reflexes could maybe be in your instantaneous movements but not running because running takes time to reach top speed.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I don't mean super jumping in the long distance sense. Just a few feet... repeatedly.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: So does that mean if he used jumping as a travel method his reflexes would make him seem faster?

Move your hand back and fourth as close as possible to your face without actually trying to hit yourself in the face. Sooner or later you will hit yourself because of your reaction time, your reflexes, and your inability for your mind to keep up with that speed. Even though your brain is what's causing you to move your hand that fast, it still can't keep up with the speed it's moving. Spider-man Is fast in both body and mind. Quicksilver knocked himself out because he could not stop himself fast enough when spider-man stuck his arm out. Clearly he is faster than spider-man, but spider-man was able to time it just right. you could hold a gun directly in front of spider-mans face and he could probably step out of the way just in time. He would have to try of course because he isn't a speedster, but his reaction time and reflexes are off the chart.

He has caught bullets before, obviously he is not bullet proof so one went through his hand it was funny. I am not sure how you are trying to compare it to traveling speed though, I am lost there. I just know he is fast. Ultimate spider-man got around town by jumping and that "pin ball" description has been seen a lot, but that has more to do with leg muscle. He can push off walls harder which = faster, and his reaction/reflexes keep him from smashing his face or body into walls and what not within closed corners. Considering how strong he is and hard high he jumps, when he jumps around dodging bullets he's moving pretty fast, he would need good reflexes to keep up with that.

sorry if this was confusing, sorry if I am wrong, but that's how I view his speed and reflexes.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: I'm sorry for confusing you. I'm just interpreting this in a different way. Like WHY is MJ referring to spideys reflexes as something that can help him clean the apartment? Why is Superman complimenting Wonder Woman's reflexes when she's not being shown to block or dodge anything, all she did was jump and kick at him?

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: What about when Peter tripped Tony? It confuses me because even though he did it on a reflex he still technically went from point a to point b doing it, through raw speed.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Ok. What about the scan where Spider-Girl is complimenting Kaines reflexes (when he's not even blocking or dodging) just because he's punching her faster then her spider-sense can help? Or the way the narration says Peter is speedblitzing Firelord using "Spider-sense" and "Reflexes" yet no where does it just straight up tell us it's speed.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I already KNOW that him beating Firelord is PIS, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the way reflexes keep being portrayed in the comic world.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reflexes are reaction times and works with your muscle memory.

They don't translate to coordination, agility or actual speed.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: Does that explain away that both DC and Marvel have given the same explanation every time?

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By slimj87d

@segamarvel said:

@slimj87d: Does that explain away that both DC and Marvel have given the same explanation every time?

There is a questions and answer panel where a comic book reader who happened to be well educated in the sciences called Marvel out on a mistake they made in one of their writings.

Marvel responded to the reader saying that they love using scientific information as much as they can in their comics, but they admit they make mistakes and sometimes their research is wrong. But at the sametime, they said being too specific makes it too hard to write stories, and that's where our imagination comes into play.

So I guess take it as the author wants you to interpret it? That's the best I could say.

In real life, reflexes are a combination of the bodies immediate reaction to harm by relying on whatever muscle memory we may trained our bodies to do to react in certain situations.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By segamarvel

@slimj87d: ok. Hmm I see. Can you explain to me how the wonder woman and Quickwire scans are trying to portray it?

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

To some extent though jumping would depend on the strength of the muscles in your legs

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Let me try and further explain why this concept alludes me. In Spider-Man's 30th anniversary issue he tells MJ that his reflexes can make him "dazzle" the hulk. You technically need speed to "dazzle" someone. He's dancing around Hulk while saying the credit goes to his reflexes (which are 40x faster then normal). But the thing is, in order for him to be able to dance circles around the Hulk that would take speed since technically he's traveling distances around him to do it (close corner distances, but still). It's confusing that once he goes into "Speedblitz mode" he's suddenly everywhere at once like some kinda speedster. and yet once he's done and starts running away at longer distances his movement speed never looks anywhere near as flashy as it did in the fight.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Let me try and further explain why this concept alludes me. In Spider-Man's 30th anniversary issue he tells MJ that his reflexes can make him "dazzle" the hulk. You technically need speed to "dazzle" someone. He's dancing around Hulk while saying the credit goes to his reflexes (which are 40x faster then normal). But the thing is, in order for him to be able to dance circles around the Hulk that would take speed since technically he's traveling distances around him to do it (close corner distances, but still). It's confusing that once he goes into "Speedblitz mode" he's suddenly everywhere at once like some kinda speedster. and yet once he's done and starts running away at longer distances his movement speed never looks anywhere near as flashy as it did in the fight.

I liked SlimJ87D answer

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: So your saying I should take it the way they want me to interpret it with my own imagination?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: So your saying I should take it the way they want me to interpret it with my own imagination?

Oh Idk lol you can take it however you want. His answer worked for me. I try not to over think too much when it comes to spider-man.