Does Earth-2 do the Justice Society any good?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cameron83

While I am all for new takes on characters/teams,I have to ask:

Does the new 52 Earth-2 depict them how they should be depicted (as in,In-character representations)? Not only as individuals,but in terms of as a team and the team concept? Are they legacy heroes?

Or are they still not a team,yet.

I need a non-biased answer. Basically,does this book "feel" like a Justice Society book?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

It's not so much a JS book as a book encompassing ALL of Earth-2. And no, there aren't any actual Legacy heroes on the team except for the new Batman.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not so much a JS book as a book encompassing ALL of Earth-2. And no, there aren't any actual Legacy heroes on the team except for the new Batman.

I see.....

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Veshark

@avenging_x_bolt said:

I see.....

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious: is it actually a good book? Reviews seem mixed, and I'm thinking of picking up the trades

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@veshark: It's consistently been one of the best titles since the relaunch in my opinion.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@veshark: It's consistently been one of the best titles since the relaunch in my opinion.

Seconded.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Veshark

@peppeyhare said:

Seconded.

What makes it awesome?

Describe in fewer than 12 words. Go.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@retconcrisis said:

@peppeyhare said:

Seconded.

What makes it awesome?

fewer than 12?

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started off slower than I'd like and picked up recently. Worth the $$

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PeppeyHare

@veshark: Gorgeous art, incredible world, and very unique.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@retconcrisis said:

@peppeyhare said:

Seconded.

What makes it awesome?

12 words? huh....

Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, Dr Fate, Evil Superman, and Badass Lois Lane.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it doesn't feel like a JSA book.

Although Earth 2 is a good book, these characters may as well be original creations because they possess very little from their original WWII counterparts. Alan Scott is a loner, Jay is an impulsive kid, the orginal Mr Terrific is evil, the Atom is a soldier with superpowers and Dr Fate is a brand new character. After over a year, we still haven't been introduced to JSA mainstays like Wildcat, Hourman, Spectre and Starman.

They haven't formed a team yet. So, it's less of a team book and more of a series of connected stories set in Earth 2.

Like I said, It's a good read, just don't expect it to resemble any previous incarnation of the JSA.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It reads very much like an event book; and it's actually better than a lot of events I've read this year.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

my favorite series out right now. i love the take on the series

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cameron83

So,in short,it doesn't feel like a good take on The Justice Society and their characters?

Also,I am not exactly sure how I feel about them being on an alternate Earth. One of the things I liked about The Justice Society was that they were on the same earth as the JL.

Does it have more similiarities to The Pre-New 52 Justice Society (The one that everyone is familiar with,aka,the elder team) or does it have more similarities to the pre-COIE Justice Society?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So,in short,it doesn't feel like a good take on The Justice Society and their characters?

Also,I am not exactly sure how I feel about them being on an alternate Earth. One of the things I liked about The Justice Society was that they were on the same earth as the JL.

Does it have more similiarities to The Pre-New 52 Justice Society (The one that everyone is familiar with,aka,the elder team) or does it have more similarities to the pre-COIE Justice Society?

Neither really but if I had to choose then it'd be pre-crisis JSA because they didn't have the JLA on their earth to proceed them only Infinity INC.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone feel that the Justice Society has been ruined or feel that they aren't familiar anymore?

If so,why? Is it because of their younger age? Because they lack experience (for some of them)? Because they didn't fight in WWII? Because they aren't legacy heroes (in the sense that they inspire others)?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cameron83

@holyserpent said:

my favorite series out right now. i love the take on the series

What do you like about it?

I think that the thing I don't exactly like about it is that isn't recognizable to the JSA in terms of a team (which hasn't formed yet),the character personalities,or the concept of The JSA. It's like it uses the name of the characters,but they couldn't possibly be any more different. Almost like they slap on the names to different people.

I don't feel like I'm reading about the JSA,and more importantly,it doesn't feel like the modern age JSA

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably one of the top three series in the New 52 that isn't a Batman title - hell, even considering the Batman titles (not the most impressed with his new stories).

• Aquaman
  • Earth-2
  • Red Lanterns

These kind of take the cake IMO.

It's just...interesting to see Golden-Age characters re-imagined like the way they are. It actually feels like a reboot and not a re-hash. A good reboot at that. The way they get their powers are pretty interesting as well: Jay receiving god-like speed from a dying Mercury (Roman messenger god), Alan being the "avatar of the Green" like Swamp Thing, Dr. Fate is....well, Dr. fate lol

It's just a good book.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@cameron83: it's New52. If you like the old stuff, read the old stuff.

I love everything about it. And the green lantern is my favorite character along with terry Sloan

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now with Batman in Earth 2, I fear that he will overshadow the rest of the cast (as he has the last few issues) and it will become Batman and friends in Earth 2.

@cameron83: IMO, the most important element of the JSA (after the golden age) was their decades long history. Writers explain villain origins WWII or allude to adventures they had during the 40's, 50's and so on. The JSAers were allowed to get old and have full lives with children and grandchildren. There were several original JSAers that retired or died and their superhero mantle was taken up by the younger generation. So, by Geoff Johns' run we has a multi-generational team with the golden age, silver age and bronze age heroes mentoring the modern age heroes.

We completely lost that with Earth 2 and the asinine 5 year timeline. So, even though it is well done, we are left with a another team of young heroes of similar ages with very little history to explore (except Batman, who I hope won't be a mainstay on the book). As of now, it seems like the world of Earth 2 is more interesting than the characters and their dynamics of Earth 2.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cameron83

@holyserpent said:

@cameron83: it's New52. If you like the old stuff, read the old stuff.

I love everything about it. And the green lantern is my favorite character along with terry Sloan

You know,it's fine if you like it,but saying "if you like the old stuff,read the old stuff" doesn't address my problem at all (not to be rude). The problem I have is more with the characters and the teams overall concept,not that I want them to have the same status quo.

I want the characters and overall team of the JSA to feel familiar,to still have essential components that MADE them who/what they were. Recognizable,but at the same time,have new stories and have a fresh take on the characters WITHOUT changing things that are important to the characters. There are things called "in character" portrayals,if Batman started using guns and killing people,would it be justified with "It's the new 52. If you like the old stuff,read the old stuff."? I want to read about the characters/teams and should be portrayed how they are supposed to. If not,it's just the same thing as stamping on a name to a different character.

I'm not saying that the new 52 Earth 2 is destructive to the characters (not saying that at all),but I was just making a point regarding drastic character changes (again,not saying that Earth 2 does that in a bad way).

We might as well have Martian Manhunter be a STAR labs scientist that got his powers via a chemical accident. And he just chose the name "Martian Manhunter" and DC said that it's the same thing. That's what the new 52 is. Are you telling me that it's the same character? Would you be fine with it?

I mean,if we changed some things about the character,yet they still had key elements and components,then that would be fine. Let's say Ms Martian is still a Martian,but she isn't really the niece of Martian Manhunter (and she just lied). Or maybe she doesn't even know him,but she's from Mars and she came to Earth after he did,and eventually they build a close relationship (like Superman and Kara),I would be fine with that. But what if she's not really a Martian in the new 52? What if she's dead?

I mean,with the new 52....there is barely an established and consistent continuity and the characters are barely even recognizable,let alone the universe. I mean,for 90 percent of the characters,I don't know where they stand. And to be honest,they should stand in a similar position that they're known to. For example,Batman should be a JLA member. I mean,if he were to temporarily leave the team for some reason or he was part of a team before the JLA (Aquaman and the Others is a perfect example of this done beautifully),that would also be fine.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cameron83

@smart_dork_dude Care to share any thoughts on the matter or give your personal opinion (even though I already know)?

If you want to.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem I had with the Earth-2 is the slow start.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started it because of James Robinson, Starman and the Golden Age and what not, and really enjoyed it. Could never really get into Justice Society for more than a few issues at a time, the legacies (which were what I liked most about it) seemed continuity dense, despite efforts to the contrary.

It always felt like I was missing part of the story, that I would have gotten if I had read more actual Justice Society stories from the past.

That's not the case with Earth 2, you get to get in on the ground floor, but there's still a vague sense of history.