Does DC really need to make a Justice League Movie?

Rick475069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Rick475069

Is anyone really going to think less of WB if they don't?

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Nope and Yes they do.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By judasnixon

Doesn't phase me one way or another. Comics are comics. Movie are movies. Would I like to see a good Justice League Movie? Yes I would. Do I think it will happen? No I don't. People at DC comics don't make movies, WB does.  

Rick475069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rick475069

@judasnixon: Thanks for catching that for me.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By colonyofcells

Nothing is really necessary. There many ways to make money. There are many types of movies Warner Brothers can make so they don't really need to do any superhero movies. It should be easy to make money on a Justice League movie and other superhero movies or vertigo movies or looney tunes movies or hanna barbera movies so I could see Warner Brothers doing more superhero movies.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By DH69

marvel did it so they have to.

Personally the only DC movies i've ever enjoyed we're burtons batman and nolans DK trilogy, i have yet to see anything else of theirs that ive actually enjoyed.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

I wouldn't necessarily think less of them because I never thought they'd be able to pull it off successfully. They're too far behind Marvel and Batman's the only franchise they put their faith in. I sincerely hope MoS is great and a megahit that gives them the opportunity to expand the DC movie universe because I really don't wanna see another Batman reboot.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

Nope and Yes they do.

FiMFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FiMFTW

Yes, yes they really do.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spinningbirdcake

Financially maybe they do. I hold the unpopular belief, after seeing how the Avengers movie worked, that the Justice League will be infinitely harder to swallow by people when portrayed by people. I hope I'm wrong of course.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@DH69: You didn't like Watchmen, Road to Perdition, History of Violence, V for Vendetta, Red or The Losers? 
lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lagoon_boy

@Jonny_Anonymous: Isn't V for Vendetta from Marvel?

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lilben42

@lagoon_boy: No.

lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lagoon_boy

@lilben42: Alright.

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheHulk

Hulk not sure. I mean, it'd be interesting, but Hulk not sure how they'd pull it off.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@lagoon_boy: Nah V was a Vertigo/Quality book
2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By 2chimcha3

I kinda think they do. Marvel has pretty much grabbed the country attention and of the portion that decides to go read comics, they will choose Marvel. DC needs to show them that they are just as, if not more amazing than Marvel and make sure people know about their characters.

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheHulk

@sagejonathan said:

I kinda think they do. Marvel has pretty much grabbed the country attention and of the portion that decides to go read comics, they will choose Marvel. DC needs to show them that they are just as, if not more amazing than Marvel and make sure people know about their characters.

True.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By colonyofcells

Bec of the large volume of Marvel movies, maybe dc will just shrink or just print all Batman comics only. Maybe Image will one day take over as number 2.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SNascimento

I want a Wonder Woman movie more than a Justice League one.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By colonyofcells

Warner Brothers will probably try more super hero movies soon. Maybe Warner Brothers is just waiting for the huge deluge of marvel movies to falter so there will be an opening for Warner Brothers to enter the superhero movie market. My guess is the less popular marvel properties like guardians, ant man and dr strange will falter and create an opening for Warner Brothers.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By DH69

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@DH69: You didn't like Watchmen, Road to Perdition, History of Violence, V for Vendetta, Red or The Losers?

i meant from the actual DC universe, and personally out of all of those watchmen was the only one i truely enjoyed even if it was too long, didnt even know road to perdition was based on a comic, thought it was just a book.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By sinestro_GL

JLA First created: 1960

The date today: Feb. 18th 2013

HELL YES THEY SHOULD MAKE A MOVIE!

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sharkbite

Judging by the Diamond sales numbers for 2012, DC dominates the comic book market. But that can be better explained by stating: Batman dominates the comic book market. Batman books made up over 1/3 of the top 50 sales for the year, and Batman books were the only books to consistantly sell big, without gimmick relaunches of new #1s.

Looking at the sales numbers, however, the rest of DC rests on the shoulders of Batman. He carries the entire franchise, at least from a financial point. Wonder Woman doesn't have a single book in the top 100, Superman's top selling book for the year was Action Comics #5 which ranked 58th. Green Lantern weighed in at 62nd. Aside from Batman, every single other DC character flounders on the newstand for sales.

Marvel dominating the film scene isn't just about the money that there is to be made at the box office, but it's also about the character exposure and value of their intellectual property. Prior to the Iron Man film, the character of Iron Man was not one of Marvel's big draws; since the film's release, Iron Man has skyrocketed to one of the more popular Marvel properties, now selling significantly better than Marvel's previous hot commodity, Wolverine.

DC doesn't need a Justice League film in order to make money; DC comics is in no danger of closing (though the film would likely make money hand over fist). What DC Comics needs a Justice League film to do is to market some of the other non-Batman characters to the fans so that they can spread their sales around a bit. Getting a bit more love for Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc, would greatly help them to be able to sustain the entire brand.

If DC can't find a way to make other characters sell books, eventually DC is going to be a logo that actually stands for "Detective Comics" and they'll just have 30 differant Batman related titles every month and cancel everyone else.

At least that's what the sales numbers suggest. If you took the top 3 selling DC books following a solo character for the entire year of 2012, our new Trinity would be Batman, Comedian, and Silk Specter II. Pretty sad when even The Minutemen miniseries outsells Superman.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@DH69 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

i meant from the actual DC universe, and personally out of all of those watchmen was the only one i truely enjoyed even if it was too long, didnt even know road to perdition was based on a comic, thought it was just a book.

It was a John Wagner graphic novel

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By colonyofcells

It is funny that both Teen Titans and Earth 2 are outselling the Superman titles.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I want a GOOD one, I don't care how long it takes.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By joshmightbe

Not really I'd just love to see an actually good DC movie featuring someone aside from Batman or Superman (V for Vendetta was Vertigo and Watchmen wasn't regular DCU so I don't want to argue semantics)

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By Timandm
@SNascimento said:

it's hard to understand why they  haven't made one yet... She's very popular.  She's an important character.  The special effects wouldn't be difficult for them...  So, why not make a Wonder Woman movie.  That bites.  And did you see the tv show video?  They made a pilot episode for the wonder woman series.  The show was canceled before it ever aired but the video was leaked over the net.  I've watched it.  It was actually fairly good.  It should have aired.  So, a movie would be completely doable...
Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Crash_Recovery

No. DC/WB doesn't need to make a Justice League movie.

DC/WB needs to make a good Justice League movie.

Green Lantern has been one of DC's hot titles for several years and they threw 200mil at the character for a film...that flopped. It was all over the place and lacked the sort of clear direction and vision that some of the recent Marvel Studios films movies have.

It's not enough to rush out a Justice League film...it's not going to just sell itself. DC/WB needs to be thoughtful/careful/and smart and bring out a good, must-see film.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By colonyofcells

The Green Lantern movie flop has damaged the Green Lantern brand and even the GL cartoon is getting cancelled fast. Warner brothers needs to get its act together fast.

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if they like money.

GypRosetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GypRosetti

@Rick475069: Even though I prefer Marvel, DC movies are better, Disney suck. The Dark Night Rises made Avengers look like a Power Rangers movie and Watchmen was phenomenal. I also loved Green Lantern though appear to be the only one so yes I would love to see a Justice League movie providing the villain is someone like Darkseid and not Lex Luthor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and yes

Marvel has been eating DC's lunch for years and if they cannot even get their premier team on the screen considering they are owned by a MEDIA EMPIRE then a lot of people need to get pink slipped for total incompetence.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By colonyofcells

I have to agree about dc being incompetent since Marvel is able to launch movies on weak properties like guardians and ant man.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JamesKM716

They don't need to, but Marvel didn't need to either.

I want them to though.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Matchstick

They should absolutely do a JLA movie, but it shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction to the success of the Avengers movie. The Avengers movie only worked because they took their time with it and did it right. Unless DC is going to be just as careful in their execution of a JLA movie, why even bother.

GypRosetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GypRosetti

@Matchstick: They've established Batman and Green Lantern. I would be surprised if Man of Steel tanks so that's three of the major members. I don't think they need to do a solo Wonder Woman or Flash movie. If Man of Steel is successful they'll go ahead with a Justice League movie. Oh and they need to cast Tom Hardy as Darkseid or Batman (yes I know he was Bane), Hardy is box office.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wolfrazer
@Timandm said:
@SNascimento said:

it's hard to understand why they  haven't made one yet... She's very popular.  She's an important character.  The special effects wouldn't be difficult for them...  So, why not make a Wonder Woman movie.  That bites.  And did you see the tv show video?  They made a pilot episode for the wonder woman series.  The show was canceled before it ever aired but the video was leaked over the net.  I've watched it.  It was actually fairly good.  It should have aired.  So, a movie would be completely doable...
There already is a WW movie...its animated, but why does that matter? Its still a movie, perhaps should clarify you want a live action WW movie...though I don't see why everything needs to be live action.
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By Timandm
@Wolfrazer said:
@Timandm said:
@SNascimento said:

There already is a WW movie...its animated, but why does that matter? Its still a movie, perhaps should clarify you want a live action WW movie...though I don't see why everything needs to be live action.
You're right.  I forgot about that movie.  I did see it and I thought it was pretty good actually...  Still, I would like to see a live action movie... Movies don't HAVE to be live action, but I prefer them that way...
Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#41  Edited By BlueLantern1995

They don't but they will.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By mk111

I kinda hope they make one, just so that they can say they tried.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ImmortalOne

I hope they do... as long as it's not horrible.