Does DC need a non Superman/Batman movie to be a hit?

• 54 results
Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Does DC need a non Superman/Batman movie to be a hit? (53 votes)

yes they do 81%
no Superman/Batman is enough 19%

In order to legitimize its brand name?

• 
conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, people are sick of Superman and Batman, the Avengers is doing so well because it's something new, interesting, and pretty awesome.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I'd say it's number 1 on their to-do list. I don't think they need it to 'legitimize' its brand name, but it's definitely going to be really important for either Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman to be a hit.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SilverPool

@conner_wolf: The billion+ dollar gross of TDKR would like to have a word with you.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By youknowwhattodo

First and foremost, WB/DC needs Batman v. Superman to be a big hit because it would really take the wind of out of the DCCU if it isn't.

After that, then yes it would be important for the DCCU to have most of the standalone movies that don't feature Batman or Superman (at least don't heavily feature) be successful.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: So would the thirty thousand Iron Man suits that Tony can create on a whim.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need a -good- movie that appeals to the masses to be a hit.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes they do , badly. DC needs to establish other characters other than Bats and Supes because people will get tired of just seeing those two again and again.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When was the last time they made a big superhero hit in DC not named superman or batman ?

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conner_wolf: K. What you just said does nothing to disprove my point.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: Oh I thought I was on a totally different thread, man I'm out of it today.

And TDKR was years ago, honestly, I feel like it's just getting old to watch Batman and Superman over and over again.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Give us Green Lantern Captain Marvel Cyborg Martian Manhunter and Flash

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Overmilking the cash cow nearly killed the Batman and Superman franchises once before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you guys serious? DC doesn't NEED anyone but Batman and Superman in movies. The last TWO batman movies made over a billion dollars and MOS made over 700 million. Even the Batman animated movies do well for the most part. They could only make Batman and Superman movies for a long while and still be just fine. BVS is going to make a killing at the box office as well.

I know some of us have other characters we would like to see more, but they don't NEED to in order to legitimize their brand. Having batman and superman is a legit as it gets when it comes to superheroes.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes they definitely do.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They definitely do

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zaied

Not really... I mean, they've basically only done Batman and Superman since the beginning of time and are still in a nice position. I definitely want a successful Flash, WW, and GL movie, though.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suicide squad

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's not a bad idea to expand on your universe, the suicide squad is a step forward.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Putting a ton of money into the superhero movie game this late might be a bad idea but it definitely is a good idea to finally get a Wonder Woman movie out.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: we will see after suicide squad comes out.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes. I'm sick of Superman and Batman popping up everywhere. I understand that they're two of the biggest names in comics, but there's tons of other characters that can become huge names if DC just pushed them a little bit more.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

Well, of course. But first and foremost, BvS has to be good.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course, why wouldn't they

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Are you guys serious? DC doesn't NEED anyone but Batman and Superman in movies. The last TWO batman movies made over a billion dollars and MOS made over 700 million. Even the Batman animated movies do well for the most part. They could only make Batman and Superman movies for a long while and still be just fine. BVS is going to make a killing at the box office as well.

I know some of us have other characters we would like to see more, but they don't NEED to in order to legitimize their brand. Having batman and superman is a legit as it gets when it comes to superheroes.

Then why are they losing to Marvel in both Films and Comics, the main two mediums associated with the companies?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: They barely put out films, and just because marvel makes more doesn't mean they are failing. Their success isn't judged by if they beat marvel or not. Also marvel uses tons of Number 1 issues to increase sales all the time. DC doesn't need to be making more than Marvel

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30 JediXMan  Moderator

Yes. The MCU launched with somebody who wasn't Spider-Man. They should do a good Green Lantern movie.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@maccyd: They barely put out films, and just because marvel makes more doesn't mean they are failing. Their success isn't judged by if they beat marvel or not. Also marvel uses tons of Number 1 issues to increase sales all the time. DC doesn't need to be making more than Marvel

One of DC's top heroes (Superman) struggled to beat a relatively unknown Marvel team (Guardians of the Galaxy) at the box office and adjusted for inflation, couldn't beat the original two Superman films either. DC doesn't have Heath Ledger or Christopher Nolan anymore either so it'll need new strategies if it wishes to stay competitive. Just because things seem good now or recently doesn't mean it'll continue likewise in the future, look at Spider Man now for example compared to several years ago.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: All that would matter if DC's success was based off of how they do against Marvel. DC is the other half of the big two. They don't need to out sell marvel to he relevant or legitimate or a huge company. BVS is the most anticipated superhero movie coming up. You know why? Because its batman and superman, the two biggest, most iconic, most popular heroes ever.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@maccyd: All that would matter if DC's success was based off of how they do against Marvel. DC is the other half of the big two. They don't need to out sell marvel to he relevant or legitimate or a huge company. BVS is the most anticipated superhero movie coming up. You know why? Because its batman and superman, the two biggest, most iconic, most popular heroes ever.

You do realise how these big corporations and their suits think, right? Even if a film/franchise is considered a "success" by the average person, it must make them extreme profits in order for them to concentrate on them instead of using the time and resources on more bankable, cheaper to make genres and such. Though, it's a bad way of thinking for anything creative, the people funding the creativity usually think in numbers and Marvel have some pretty good numbers on their side to be jealous of.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: You're still implying that DC is only a success if they beat Marvel, which is not true. I guarantee you BVS will gross over a billion, which will be the third DC movie to do so. Once AoU hits a billion, they will be tied with movies that have made over 1 billion. All from just batman and superman.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

DC was in a similar state before. Richard Donner set up Superman for success, Tim Burton set up Batman for success, Wes Craven got the ball rolling on Swamp Thing. Then 'executive decisions' pushed for top speed and derailed the money trains. IMHO, the 90s animated Batman did a lot to save the franchise.

If they had a larger setup, they would be able to eat one screw up, let a character fade out, and then bring him back after the bad taste is out of people's mouths.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@maccyd: You're still implying that DC is only a success if they beat Marvel, which is not true. I guarantee you BVS will gross over a billion, which will be the third DC movie to do so. Once AoU hits a billion, they will be tied with movies that have made over 1 billion. All from just batman and superman.

Doubt it'll hit a billion if it's close to Civil War. That film will take some of that $€£ since Civil War is already generating more hype with mainstream audience and it hasn't even a trailer yet, plus it won't have the success from coming after Dark Knight. Without adding new characters, it'll end up like the original Batman and Superman film runs where they began to stagnate and die off after the original directors left. There's a reason they made Batman fight Superman instead of just making Man Of Steel 2.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to have a good WW movie and even more a solid GL movie.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

So you're saying that you can make a female centric superhero film without Batman or Superman and it can still be counted as good? :O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: What makes you think CW is getting more hype? And it has the backing of the avengers and all the other MCU movies, so if it is getting more hype then it makes sense. That doesn't change the fact that BVS is still highly anticipated and will dominate the box office, because its batman and superman.

They made BVS to start off the JL and because it will make more money than MOS 2. And there's nothing to suggest batman and superman films will die out. And you're still talking as if DC is only a success if it beats marvel...

storm-is-life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:
@jayc1324 said:

Doubt it'll hit a billion if it's close to Civil War. That film will take some of that $€£ since Civil War is already generating more hype with mainstream audience and it hasn't even a trailer yet, plus it won't have the success from coming after Dark Knight. Without adding new characters, it'll end up like the original Batman and Superman film runs where they began to stagnate and die off after the original directors left. There's a reason they made Batman fight Superman instead of just making Man Of Steel 2.

While I agree Civil War has created hype, it definatley hasn't created more Hype than BvS and BvS probably will make more money since this is like one of the most anticipated films of the past 3 years.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:
@bullpr said:

So you're saying that you can make a female centric superhero film without Batman or Superman and it can still be counted as good? :O

Well behind the joke, yes, I would love to see the mythology (WW) and the space-opera (GL) more exploited.

CBM are a window open to a huge variety of themes. To sustain as an independent genre on the big screen, they have to start to diversify.

GoTG was too family friendly for me, but the potential behind was very interesting.So yes, to keep having a good and healthy Marvel vs DC competition that would push each company to give us good films, we need some fresh faces.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@storm-is-life: For comic fans, yeah. The indifference to BvS by general fans actually surprised me though, even with the trailer reveal. I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I'm actually more interested in BvS.

@jayc1324:You'll still talking as if DC can't fail with just Superman and Batman, while the past has disagreed, only the skills of Nolan made them relevant again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Two billion dollar movies, a 700 million dollar one, and the most highly anticipated superhero movie that is coming up. They aren't failing with supes and bats.

Even Christopher Reeves superman is iconic nowadays. Yeah I can agree in the past some of their movies have failed, but even their failures were popular, like Batman and Robin, for being so bad. And they don't NEED other movies to be successful when they have Batman and Superman.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@maccyd: Two billion dollar movies, a 700 million dollar one, and the most highly anticipated superhero movie that is coming up. They aren't failing with supes and bats.

Even Christopher Reeves superman is iconic nowadays. Yeah I can agree in the past some of their movies have failed, but even their failures were popular, like Batman and Robin, for being so bad. And they don't NEED other movies to be successful when they have Batman and Superman.

Nolan's films make a **** ton these days with or without Bats/Superman. As I said relying on those just two before eventually killed both franchises until Nolan made them relevant again. If they've kept with just a Batman and Superman series as before, it probably would have a decline effect after Nolan left similar to Reeves and Burton. Batman and Robin didn't make a big profit and ruined Batman's image until Nolan returned it.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

probably

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Nolan made Batman Begins too and it didn't do anywhere near a billion.

A lot of those movies made before him were crappy, which is why they failed. Not because it was batman and superman.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: It is only under below the original Batman from the older films box-office wise.

You said Batman and Superman was all that DC needed to make successes. With that statement, if every film was high quality, Aquaman could keep DC going on his own.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Batman and Superman ARE all the need...

I didn't say that others wouldn't help. But they could be just fine with only Batman and Superman

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@maccyd: Batman and Superman ARE all the need...

I didn't say that others wouldn't help. But they could be just fine with only Batman and Superman

This could probably go on for a while so why don't we just agree on that BvS will probably be awesome?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers