Does anyone think the Man of Steel could be better than Batman?

• 101 results
MurieC16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MurieC16

After watching the trailer I can honestly say that I was suprised by how great it looked! So does anyone think this has the potential to be better than the Dark Knight Trilogy (assuming that it will be a trilogy).

Links to the 2 trailers

Russell Crowe Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zld8i2mRxb0&feature=relmfu

Kevin Costner Version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpvOT6HJCmg&feature=relmfu

Also tell me which version you like best! I personally like the Russell Crowe version, he will be a great Jor-El

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CrimsonCake

I actually told one of my friends that I was looking forward to this movie even more than the Dark knight rises and he said "Shame on you".I don't think it will surpass the dark knight financially or critically but we can bet that this movie will began a whole new era of Dc Films.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Madame_Mist

I don't think so.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JonSmith

Looks like a great movie.

Don't know how it looks as a Superman movie though.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jorgevy

@JonSmith said:

Looks like a great movie.

Don't know how it looks as a Superman movie though.

this

also Nolanites will probably flood the whole thing. They are already saying it's gonna be a masterpiece just because Nolan is co-producing, directing or whatever he is really doing

so it should do almost as good as Batman Begins

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bane_of_sith

I was more excited watching the man of steel trailer than dark knight itself, the whole movie was predictable and strayed way too far from the comics as usual in DC movies. Avengers was way better. What's up with Bane sounding like a deep voiced Sean Connery? Where's the venom? Why is Talia running with Bane? Why is this movie so predictable? Hey DC stop alienating fans by trying to make your movies so realistic! We go to the movies cause we want to see the comics on the big screen! There was an hour of boring BS I could live with out. So some little girl could make a 10 foot jump but BATMAN can't? Stupid! Why is bane even wearing that mask, cause someone mutilated his face? That movie was a disappointment, glad I only paid a matinee price

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

I think I'll like it better. It looks great, and I like Superman more than Batman. I don't think that it'll do better than the Dark Knight trilogy financially though.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

Far too early to tell. But at this point, it could easily surpass TDKR.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By RoboShark

Nah, I will check it out though since Snyder's behind it.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I highly doubt it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bane_of_sith: Just a quick question about your post. If DC stayed completely loyal to the comics than wouldn't the movie be just as predictable as you denouncing Dark Knight Rises for being? Isn't doing their own interpretation a better way to avoid predictability than blind following? Take Watchmen for example. 100% loyal to the comic and the flow of the story. So we everyone that had read it there was absolutely no reason to go to the film because we already knew everything that was going to occur. I'm not saying that Dark Knight Rises was in any way some type of mystery to the viewer and couldn't be figured out. But then again who cares? What exactly should Nolan have tried to let the viewer figure out. The best part of comic book movies is not about them being unpredictable, but in how the writers, producer, and director mold all the various aspects of a character into a new vision.

Take Bane for example. Sure there was no venom but Bane hasn't used venom (in the comics) in over a decade, maybe going on 15 years, until the new 52 redid everything. Its only been in the animated series and games that venom was still attached to his character (again until the new 52). He was venom free and still kicking ass for quite a while. During that time (venom free Bane) he was also considered an heir candidate for Ra's Al Ghul (and thus received training from him) for breaking Bruce up until Bruce beat him in a second fight. All of that was rolled into Nolan's Bane.

Then you've got John Blake, who while an original character is actually the combination of the first three Robins. He's an orphan (Dick Grayson specifically but actually all of them are now), he talks about the anger that dwells inside him (Jason Todd), he's a cop (Dick Grayson was on the Bludhaven police force for awhile), and he's very intelligent as shown by him figuring out Batman's identity and seeing patterns in Bane's movements (both defining attributes of Tim Drake). So even without his first name actually being Robin, you can see all the elements of the comics rolled into this one character.

I will agree with you I didn't like the fact they switched Bane and Talia's origins a bit, but I would have been more disappointed if Nolan had made Bane the child of Ra's as well as Talia. Though the age of the two characters could have made them be brother and sister I think it would have been a bit too much of a departure for the character. But are you honestly going to tell me that while we all guessed Miranda Tate was actually Talia that you knew the entire film she was the child that got out of the pit? I'm going to find that very hard to believe given the age and look of the child giving no indication of sex. So there is a surprise right there.

As for how could Talia have gotten out of the pit as a child but Bruce couldn't as an adult......you were actually paying attention to the film right? The rope the prisoners use is not long enough and snaps back as a person tries to make the jump. Its another form of control and the illusion of hope that the prison uses to make them think they can get out but actually prevents them from doing so. Its only without the rope that you can leave the prison (or if the rope from the surface is lowered down as Bruce does when he escapes), which is why Bruce made the jump without the rope just as Talia did. Why does nobody else go up without a rope? Because they are too afraid to. Isn't that an interesting point that Nolan shows us but never delves into? If Bane is so without fear than why didn't he ever try to leave? Simple, because Talia was the first to leave as nobody had ever tried without the rope before. It has nothing to do with her being fearless and Bane not, but the fact that she was never given the rope in the first place and simply tossed up to the wall by Bane to escape the other prisoners. Bane couldn't follow because of his injuries and nobody else is brave enough to try without the rope (and most likely the majority of the prisoners from the time aren't alive anymore).

So rather than just make a blanket statement about how terrible the film was maybe you should try analyzing it and looking at what Nolan was trying to show and accomplish. Was TDKR a perfect film, absolutely not. It also wasn't a popcorn movie like the Avengers (and if you're really complaining that TDKR was too predictable than you obviously have some blinders on if you're gonna tell me Avengers wasn't and that the film didn't deviate from the source material either as it created its own origin story for the team using a combination of the original Avengers, where Loki tricks them into fighting Hulk, and Ultimate Avengers, where they fight the Chitari..........oh wait, you mean Josh Whedon combined various aspects of the story and charactesr to create something new???? That sounds exactly like what Nolan did. Imagine that.) but that doesn't mean it wasn't a superhero movie. Would you say that the Sandman series from Vertigo Comics isn't really a comic book because its not exactly like a Superman title?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@The_Tree said:

I think I'll like it better. It looks great, and I like Superman more than Batman. I don't think that it'll do better than the Dark Knight trilogy financially though.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Not really, thought the trailer seemed very Wolverine Like to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the question of this thread though......I think Man of Steel is going to be equal to the Nolan trilogy, which I think is all that the character really needs at this point. There are a few things that could make it better, particularly the fight scenes. If the rumors about the film are true, we are going to see Superman get a lot more physical than any other movie beforehand. That's something his films have been severly lacking. I mean, when we think back to the Reeve films what's one of the best parts people remember......the fight scene with Superman vs Zod, Ursla, and Non. Though the scene hasn't aged well with outdated special effects, its still great to watch Superman taking on three other Kryptonians in a city-wide brawl. Even his fights against Nuclear Man in Superman IV didn't come close to that scene. So if Man of Steel can bring up the level of action in a Superman film while retaining the feel of the Nolan trilogy (shouldn't be too hard with Nolan producing the thing), than I think the film could stand just a bit above Batman Begins (not gonna compare it to the other two Bat films as they aren't origin stories).

The other aspect to Man of Steel's success is going to hinge on Henry Cavill as how he plays the dual Clark Kent/Superman role. Personally I never liked Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman. I didn't think he was physical enough and while the Batsuits themselves were great, I didn't feel he presented himself well enough as Batman. Overall his performance just never captured the same level of intensity I felt the theme and mood of Nolan's trilogy was presenting in tone and environment. Plus each villain actor was better received (yes, even Tom Hardy as Bane.....cause whether you liked the voice box dialog or not (personally I had no problem with it and did its job of hiding the fact the person we were seeing was Tom Hardy just as Heath Ledgers voice and look was so much different that you were looking at the Joker and not at Ledger) than Bale. Yet when you think back to the Reeve films, I would say that Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman were equal in how their performances were received in the three films they were in. Whereas in Superman Returns, Kevin Spacey's performance was much better than Brandon Roth's. So one way this film can elevate itself above Batman Begins is in Cavill has a much better performance as Clark Kent/Superman than Bale did as Bruce Wayne/Batman and not getting overshadowed by the villain actors.

That's going to be difficult to pull off since he's going to be compared next to Michael Shannon and Christopher Meloni, both great actors. So we'll see what happens.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SandMan_

Don't know..The movie is a year away.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Magian

I will be happy if it just as good as Batman.

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Trixie

Henry Cavill is in it, so it already is! :D

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I don't think it will be better than Batman, but it looks like it has a lot of potential

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@Omega Ray Jay said:

Not really, thought the trailer seemed very Wolverine Like to me.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be better than Batman. Zack Snyder knows what he's doing.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HBKTimHBK

You can't be sure yet, but I highly doubt it.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheThe

I dont know. Snyder is hit or miss for me( Watchmen is a masterpiece, while 300 is just CGI debauchery). With a great writer, we can hope a very good movie. I do believe Man of Steel will surpass Batmin Begins in grossings.

Avatar image for deactivated-6030f931768b5
deactivated-6030f931768b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I hope it's on par with the Batman trilogy. I can't make a judgement as I have only seen the teaser trailer, I think we need to wait a little while.

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Zomboid

This movie looks like it has a lot of potential, but all we've seen is one teaser that really didn't reveal much at all. Most people didn't even know it was a Superman movie until the end. With Snyder and Nolan behind it, it's safe to say it should be pretty darn good though. Better than Batman though? I doubt it.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I hope so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a huge amount of dislike for superman, but this movie looks quit interresting and I might just go see it. Being directed by Zack Snyder helps a lot, love his movies, and Nolan as producer it can't be half bad. But being better than Nolans Batman trilogy i highly doubt.

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Typhion

I'm interested in how it turns out. I don't think it'll pass Dark Knight though. Batman is a more relatable icon and the films for him came along at the perfect time. Now the comics thing has been rolling for 10 years, and here comes the king of all comics a LOT late to the party. I don't see it doing as well.

That said, if you let Supes do the ONE thing they've never let him do (aside from a really small stretch in Superman 2) then you've got something special. Let Supes just kick some MFing A. We want to see him blast the bad guy and watch the bad guy vanish like a spec over the horizon. We're sick of monumental feats of lifting, and kryptonite being the only threat. Let supes throw the beating on Zod. Do that and you'll draw.

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

Will it be better than the whole Batman trilogy..? Doubt it.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#29  Edited By Deadcool

... Who knows? But I really want it to be.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Crom-Cruach

nah.

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MenaceForever2

Hell to the no.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ratman19

@Bane_of_sith: im a batman fan and i liked the movie way better than the avengers. after watching TDKR i noticed how much the avengers sucks in comparison.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ratman19

i think it can be better

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#34  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I have very high expectation for the movie.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gravitypress

I'm unsure if the film style fits Superman.

girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By girth

I think it is at least a step in the right direction. Need to see more.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

No way Jose!

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@sesquipedalophobe said:

It will be better than Batman. Zack Snyder knows what he's doing.

This, Zack Snyder is a brilliant visual director and that's exactly what Superman needs. It looks like there are enough talented actors to carry what may be a weak plot (however that's just my pessimistic view of things, it could be a great Superman story)

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

YES

Snyder and Nolan

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Yes Man of Steel will be better (oh i hope, never really loved the batman movies like i had hoped i would, or like everyone else apparently did)

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope so. But I'm cautiously optimistic. If this film fails, the fan backlash would be historic.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

its about time hero movies up the scales

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've got high expectations for the Man of Steel, but the movie's still awhile away, so who knows?

Hopefully.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

I can see it beating out all DC films other than The Dark Knight.

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FlashDamn

@battle_forum_junkie said:

I've got high expectations for the Man of Steel, but the movie's still awhile away, so who knows?

Hopefully.

IT IS 24 DAYS AWAY/ 3 weeks and 3 days

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see it beating out all DC films other thanespecially The Dark Knight.

my opinion on the manner

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Hopefully.

Wait... I thought it still had awhile longer! Only 24 days??

No Caption Provided

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FlashDamn

@flashdamn said:

Hopefully.

Wait... I thought it still had awhile longer! Only 24 days??

No Caption Provided
Loading Video...

This video explains my enthusiasm

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Eternal19

I have high hopes, but I didnt really like any of Snyders other movies except 300

Beserkerfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol no,this wont even break half of what the Dark Knight Rises made in the box office.