Does Anyone Like This issue of The Creeper

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I have read a LOT of negative reviews and insight on the Creeper. but most of them have to deal with "It isn't the Creeper I remember" which is an attitude on CV (for any subject) that's really getting on my nerves (whether I agree or not)

BUT are there any people out there who liked the Creeper Villains month one shot? I haven't read it, and not sure if I will and I want the other side of the story too....

If you liked it, what did you like about it? I really want to know (especially since this is not a character Im very familiar with)

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but I went into this as a big Justice League Dark fan with no preconceptions about this character (didn't know his pre-52 equivalent or any backstory for either character as I never picked up any Katana issues which I understand he's from in 52 continuum) but I was still really disappointed with this issue just in terms of the writing. I feel like it was mostly the way the whole thing was set up and the pacing. They spent a whole lot of time doing backstory, but even with all of that I didn't feel like it really added anything to the character or my perception of him. He still ended up being just some evil spirit who posses people and causes trouble. There's no connection made with the Justice League Dark (literally the only reason I picked this up off the shelf in the first place, well that and the cover). The dialogue is also a little weird, there were a few places where I had to re-read carefully to figure out what they were trying to say. I've heard some complaints about the art, but in my opinion that was the highlight of this book, especially the first few pages. There are 3 different artists on this issue though, so some parts of it may not appeal to everyone.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump, I like what Hecktale said, but as he said, not an answer

ANYONE liked the comic at all????

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#4  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

haven't read it. don't plan too. i made peace with him being a demon a while back but i can't tolerate him being a villain, least of all one of Katana's

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@bierschneeman: I loved it but it may just be because I'm a big fan of the creeper and think he's underutilized, I like the fact they made it a villian with a host who really has no idea what is going on, it opens up great possibilities for stories for him. I think I'm the only person on cv and in my local comic shop who loved the issue and thought it was great art and story. But then again this is all opinion the whole point of the new 52 is to reinvent characters and they did a good job with the creeper. He kinda just goes around terrorizing people which is interesting to me I like villains with no specific motive, its just chaos and destruction.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that Creeper issue was one of the worst of the entire DC New 52. It was hard to make it through all the way. The story was just incredibly stupid, and convoluted.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

@bierschneeman: Even leaving out that The Creeper being changed it's still a pretty sub-par issue. The motivation is one of the most boring and stale ones for a villain, the action is "meh" at best, and there's not really much that goes on besides an origin that desperately tries to connect a new character to an old one.

It just wasn't a good issue.

FWACATA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're not talking about the BEWARE THE CREEPER series right? I loved that series

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

@fwacata said:

We're not talking about the BEWARE THE CREEPER series right? I loved that series

No, we're talking about the villain month issue.
I've never read Beware The Creeper, but I heard it has little to do with the original character. Assuming you're talking about the Vertigo series.

FWACATA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I dug it. It was very much away from the main character but it was pretty great. I was kind of disappointing the whole villain month. I pcke dup Ventriloquist because I heard the story was good, and came with kind of "meh" about it in general. Like some of the books just try to beat you over the head with the "I'm so evil, look how Evil I am! So EVIL! EVIL!" it sort turns me off.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@manwithoutshame: Nah dude that title goes to Harley Quinn that special was garbage.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By kidchipotle

Hated it for more reasons than the just unnecessary changes made to the character.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Just read a buddy's copy and it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. There are some big issues with it one is the dialog Ann really needs to get a writing partner or a better editor to punch up her dialog, I feel her story ideas are fine but her dialog seems to run long or just makes little sense.

The other big issue I have is the way the Creeper does not fit what they are trying to do a scary demon yet he is over the top and cartoonish just does not fit the tone. Also I am not a fan of how lanky the artist drew him.

All and all I did not hate this issue or love it just thought it was nothing special. Its not the worst Villains Month issue I have read that title still goes to Kindt's Harley Quinn.