does anyone like the new direction for batgirl?

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I read the issue and I see what they were trying to do; but, it abandons most of the readers of the previous run and catheterizes Babs in a way that she isn't and won't be portrayed in other books like birds of prey and batman eternal. also she's supposed to be in her 20's not 14 years old, which is how she's portrayed and when did she decide to go to college? however I see that they wanted to reach the tween readers and make it a fun book, but why not make it a book everyone can enjoy?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Here's my take. I'm all for a fun book in DC, heaven knows they need it. But, this Babs kinda goes against the character we've seen her as for the entire New 52. She is a grown, mature woman, and now (from what I've seen, haven't read the issue yet) she seems more childlike. I think DC should have just given Stephanie Brown a "Spoiler" title with this tone, then it would make perfect sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Art was good and it wasn't a bad story but it doesn't fit Barbara at all. All the texting and hooking up with some random dude and other teenager stuff doesn't fit Barbara at all. Barbara isn't some 15 year old girl. She's way too childish here. You can give her a lighter tone without going this far. I almost feel odd reading it, it feels like its designed for teen girls. I was kind of hoping that alysia wouldn't appear but she did sadly.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I'll begin by saying that just because someone isn't a fully grown and fully mature character does not mean that they are more childlike (in your words 14) , I think that it's perfectly acceptable to have characters behave like YOUNG ADULTS. I don't know about ya'll but how many children stories begin with the main protagonist hung over. In the case of Barbara Gordon, in the new 52, she has been deaged to 21 years old and one of my main problems with Gail Simone's run was that I thought it was way too dark and that it did not read like how a 21 year old Barbara Gordon comic book should (read more like Batman), in fact you could extend that to the first 18 issues of Kyle Higgins Nightwing run and a lot of the Batfamily titles, there just wasn't a lot of difference in tone between them.

I'm all for this new direction because this Barbara is more in line with how a 21 year old vigilante should behave, even Barbara Gordon because she should not be written as a fully mature adult, no matter how smart of a character she is. By writing her as a young adult and having the feel of her book reflect the millennial generation and not as bleak as possible, Barbara Gordon is a more believable human character who reflects current society, and in my eyes a much more interesting character than she was in Gail Simone's run, which makes me more invested in the dramatic elements to come.

Now time will tell if Mr. Stewart can maintain any sense of engaging storytelling and character development, but I like what I'm seeing so far, really digging the "Girls" vibe that I got from reading it.

Remember guys, when Barbara was Oracle during the time of Birds of Prey, she was much, much older than 21, so her whole outlook on life would be different than what it was when she was 21, and a lot of people are forgetting that.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

Simone's run was complete trash, at least this first issue was still readable. If they can tone down the (currently ham-fisted) social media approach, then it'll be a lot better. It also needs less panels-- consistently hitting double digits in panels doesn't give the art much room to breathe and makes things feel claustrophobic.

Loved the pencils and coloring though.

So, all in all, it's better than before but it still needs work.

You're trash.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I can't decide yet. I'm going to read a few more issues though.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Boynerdgeek

At least Gail Simone makes Barbara Gordon awesome, kickass and smart-intelligent. Meanwhile new direction makes Barbara Gordon looks dumb and stupid. I'm sorry if you want to do fun batgirl, makes Stephanie Brown as batgirl. Before new 52 reboot , Stephanie Brown is the fun batgirl. Again this type of book doesn't fits Barbara personality. Dick Grayson become matured so why must we de-age Barbara Gordon. Barbara is same age as Dick Grayson

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that it was well written for there certain target audience, it's just that they should've made it for a wider target audience, which is people who aren't into the tween stuff.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Let's be reminded that Batgirl didn't come out of tragedy like Batman. Rather she wanted just to help people which was established way back in her debut on Batman 66 (TV show not the comic.) This why this direction is good for her, she can work with the Batman family but like Batwoman she work fine solo. She has always been designed to appeal to young women (as is the Batgirl monkier.) This is why this title and Gotham Academy work. Geez remember comics are for everybody and need to change sometimes.