#1 Posted by sebastianhoward64 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading Sandman lately and its pretty good, Sandman's a pretty interesting character even if it is kind of hard to connect with him because he's not human and thinks kind of differently from us but he does have human qualities so you can like him as a character. The plots are always weird and fun to read, usually dark too. What's getting me though is these critics who write about Sandman on Sandman books basically giving Neil Gaiman a giant ego blowjob and putting down other comics. I remember, I think it was the fifth volume some dude was going off about how everything was mediocre but Sandman wasn't and that made his life harder or something equally inane. It sounds like, too me, these people who never read comics read Sandman, liked it and then talked about how its better than every other comic ever which I find ridiculous. I feel Jesse Custer from Preacher is a much better character than Sandman and has a better plot too because there's an actual reason for why he's going after God. Sandman's good but its not THE BEST COMIC EVER OMG in my estimation y'know?

I was just wondering what you people thought about Sandman in general and if anyone agrees/disagrees with me on this.

#2 Edited by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

I get what you're saying. I tried reading Sandman but I couldn't get into it. I only tried it because people talk about it like its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

#3 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (187 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried reading Sandman in trade paperback but after the second volume I stopped because I really didn't like it that much.

#4 Posted by sebastianhoward64 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm able to read it when it doesn't seem kind of random story after random story that only have to do with each other, or rather you learn that they have to do with each other later. Its better when you have characters your interested in because otherwise you have to meet new characters every story. I liked it when it was more character oriented and more weird dream stuff, the last volume and the one after that were kind of lame though.

#6 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. Seems like more and more people every day try to get into Sandman and then capitulate because it isn't what they're used too.

@sebastianhoward64: You can just address the titular character as "Dream" or "Morpheus" or one of his other various identities. It gets confusing when you're saying the word "Sandman" with multiple connotations.

#7 Posted by Dorian Gray (249 posts) - - Show Bio

It is as great as you don't realize it is, perhaps you just need to wait a few years and re-read it, I never thought of The Sandman as having to do with being one of the early dark comics though, it was really something different then that, dark comics were much more common when The Sandman was around then they are now and it wasn't the first. However, it is one of the earliest (and still few) examples of a finite comic epic, apart from miniseries or story arcs, you rarely get a complete story in comics, things are always cancelled or rebooted or designed to never end and I think that's more of its contribution. It's a full-length comic novel that never sucked and had a beginning, middle and end.

But, its achievements aren't really why people like it, or at least I've never met those people. The story is magnificent and the character's are some of the richest and most "relate-able" ones you'll find in comics. The concept of The Endless alone is just a huge achievement all its own and the individual's, I can't think of a more perfect group of character's in all the thousands of comics I've read. And the way seemingly unimportant things come back to feed into the story again and it all is connected is fun.

Besides, The Sandman's spin-off is the greatest comic of all time but The Sandman is still up there in the god tier.

Now it's true there's plenty of people outside of comics who love The Sandman and probably don't give other comics a fair chance but that can be said for hundreds of other comics...because people outside of comics will only read a select few, however, those select few were made successes by the people who do know comics and recognized it as one of the best.

Preacher is great, but The Sandman is a completely different kind of comic. The Sandman is about the things that make up life whereas Preacher is about poking fun at the things that hold life back. One's a drama, the other's a comedy, not the same.

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was boring. No disrespect, but it's just not for me.

#9 Posted by Billy Batson (58265 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dorian Gray:

Aztek? :D
BB

#10 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

dont like it. it was to douchey and pompous for my tastes.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34287 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, I think it's underrated. IMO it is better than sliced bred

#12 Posted by Squalleon (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dorian Gray: Sandman was at the beginning of the dark age of comics.I said one of the first only to point out that it was more "Edgy" then than now.

The point i want to make is that comics continiue to evolve.The greek ancient dramas are masterpieces but that doesn't mean that they have the same appeal that they used to have.

#13 Posted by Billy Batson (58265 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

How is it underrated? It's one of the most well know, liked, awarded comics of all time with multiple collection editions and re-prints.
BB

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34287 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

How is it underrated? It's one of the most well know, liked, awarded comics of all time with multiple collection editions and re-prints.
BB

Yep, that's underrated for the brilliance that is Sandman :p

#15 Posted by JediXMan (31220 posts) - - Show Bio

I call it my favorite comic book series, with the single issue Men of Good Fortune being the best single comic book I've read, so... no, I don't think Sandman is overrated.

#16 Posted by Onemoreposter (4086 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

BB

Yeah, but people still don't put there meats and cheeses between two issues and then devour them. Only then will the book truly be getting the recognition it deserves.

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (25006 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a great read but I wouldn't say its the best ever

#18 Posted by longbowhunter (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman transcends comics, it's literature. But I can see how it's not everyone bag.

#19 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman is one of my favorites.

#20 Posted by dmkicksballs13 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman is kind of like the thinking man's comic. To really understand and enjoy it, you're going to have to put in a lot of effort and study every panel. It is fun though when you finally comprehend something Gaiman is trying to reference. It is a great comic, but I do feel it's overrated because the characters themselves aren't particularly exciting and like Grant Morrison, when people can't fathom something, they automatically label it deep and give it phenomenal reviews. But I can understand why people may not enjoy it.

#21 Posted by jonEsherfey (443 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that it is very good. Not the best comic ever but a great comic. While it is not for everybody it is a great comic that everybody should try reading because if you do like it like most people than you get to read a very good comic.

#22 Posted by Malonius (894 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman is a postmodern epic tragedy...it's just not going to appeal to everyone. It's unfortunate that hearing the word "comics" makes most people think of superheroes when obviously you can tell any kind of story within this medium. The audience for Sandman is going to be the same people who go see David Lynch or Gus Van Sant films, not people going to see big summer blockbusters. I wonder if superhero comics readers feel a weird pressure to try out Sandman even though it's so far out there?

#23 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@sebastianhoward64: Just out of curiosity, can i ask which comics you consider to be great sebastian?

#24 Posted by Mizz_Coconut (146 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the thread, was looking for a new series and you've sold it to me! haha sure this is ironic

#26 Posted by kuonphobos (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

Sandman transcends comics, it's literature. But I can see how it's not everyone bag.

I agree with this.

Sandman is just a whole other animal. A novel that just happens to have alot of pics. But that undersells the artists' contribution. It is an example of what the comics medium is capable of.

#27 Posted by sebastianhoward64 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@feebadger: Preacher, Hellblazer when Jamie and Garth Ennis were writing it, a lot of Batman titles, anything Lobo written by Alan Grant, I don't know, I like most things, I like Sandman too but I don't feel that its on another level than other comics somehow.

#28 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's probably a lot to do with personal preference. You have great tastes in comics, but i noticed that they're more, visceral shall we say ;P. I think Sandman is more in the realm of poetry and literature than comics and i can understand why people think that it is so amazing. I love the Sandman. It was poignant and touching but i'm with you in thinking that Preacher was just as powerful and just as effecting, though in a very different way.

#29 Posted by sebastianhoward64 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmkicksballs13: Hahahaha, Grant Morrison sucks.

@Dorian Gray: I must say you gave quite the convincing argument for Sandamn, quite well written sir, good job.

#30 Posted by sebastianhoward64 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@feebadger: Agreed and I can see why you would like it, no disrespect meant and I'm not saying that, "My opinion is better than yours argh!" bullshit, you've made some good points and I can see where you're coming from.

#31 Posted by Virechevarria (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Still, I think it is underrated. Its literary quality, complexity and depth are just astounding.

#32 Posted by Bierschneeman (4144 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried looking this up, I found several

is this the Neil Gaimen Sandman starting 1988

or the one about the Golden Age Superhero retold in 1993

I assume the former

#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34287 posts) - - Show Bio

I assume the former

the Gaiman one

#34 Edited by Billy Batson (58265 posts) - - Show Bio

I assume the former

OP mentions Gaiman and Wesley Dodds' series is underrated.

BB

#35 Posted by Bierschneeman (4144 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by The Stegman (25487 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it. Got bored after two volumes.

#37 Posted by cattlebattle (13164 posts) - - Show Bio

Different strokes for different folks.