does anyone else feel that DC screwed up with the new 52

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By justice teen

here are some examples: beast boy is red, cyborg is a founding member of the jla instead of the martian, and green arrow( i have no problem with him begin on just not as a founding member) also it appears that he s around green arrow age group when he is suppose to be in roy's age group, Donna Troy and Wally don't exist( how you leave them about while keeping their team mates) the original teen titans weren't a team. Batman and the green lantern series seems to be going as if the new 52 never happen( explain that). what was the purpose of the reboot to reintroduce the characters and they go about this by screwing everything up and making it hard to follow. what do you think

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

We already have about a 100 freakin threads for people to vent their feeling about the new 52, go seek out one of those threads instead of making extras

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think you're making the mistake of thinking DC did the New 52 to appease the old-guard fan base. It was solely a business decision, a way to attract new readers. That was the goal of the New 52, not to make sure the Teen Titans made sense to long time readers. Batman is moving on as if nothing happened, because Batman sells anyhow, so little need for drastic changes. As a business decision, it has worked so far, and since a business decision is what is was, I have to conclude not only  did DC not screw up, but it was a brilliant move.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Kallarkz

I wanted good stories and I am getting them from a number of books that dc is offering. That's all I wanted so yeah I like it.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Primmaster64

Batman and GL's timeline is a mess...

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BatteredArmor

I was very supportive of it but for the past 5 or so hours I've started hating it like I did before it came out, I don't know why my opinions has shifted so suddenly but I want it to be over now....

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Katie24

I'm really enjoying the New 52, the characters are not that much different really and the stories are, for the most part, great. I think that the fans who have a huge beef with the New 52 are just knit-picking. I'm sure the same thing happened after Crisis on Infinite Earths, and DC is still here making comics years later. This up roar is just a big nothing burger in my opinion.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By PowerHerc

I feel DC has made a grievous error with the "New 52"; one they will surely try to rectify with another reboot.

ClarkAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ClarkAllen

I love it so far

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think what DC should have done if they wanted to tell original stories and change up their characters was make it an alternate unconnected reality, much like Marvel did with the Ultimates. That way you have the old DC fans still happily buying your product and then you have ability to also try to bring in new readers. The whole idea of a reboot, relaunch, retcon (call it what you will) is a very poor business decision especially for an industry that is built on its history.

deadpool6_6_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deadpool6_6_6

i dont think they did that bad, but not as good as the others.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By JonesDeini

Some things work, some things don't. But most of the things that don't only applies to people who have to have a working continuity. Point blank they're making more money than they were so it's a win for them.

Gar_the_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gar_the_Beast

Not really. My only problem is anxiously waiting for some of my favorites to appear in the new 52. If they do at all.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@Nova`Prime` said:

I think what DC should have done if they wanted to tell original stories and change up their characters was make it an alternate unconnected reality, much like Marvel did with the Ultimates. That way you have the old DC fans still happily buying your product and then you have ability to also try to bring in new readers. The whole idea of a reboot, relaunch, retcon (call it what you will) is a very poor business decision especially for an industry that is built on its history.

yeah cause the new 52 is confusing.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can a business decision that increases sales be considered a mistake? Maybe it's a mistake in theory, but in reality, not so much. I don't care if the "timeline" is messed up. When I'm reading a story, I'm thinking about the plot, the character, and so on. I'm not thinking about wether or not the continuity is intact. I don't read "Night of the Owls" and think "Did the Knight-fall storyline from 1996 happen?"

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

They would have been better off making an Ultimate version rather than changing things. I'm all for updating origins and stuff like that to fit the times, but the rest I do not like.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

I would've rather had them concentrate on Earth-1 titles instead, but I like a majority of the stuff the New 52 brought. I still think it's a tad too early to give a fair opinion, though. Until they establish what happened to a lot of their important characters and those associated with them, I can give my full analysis. So until then, I'll just say that I like it.

deadpool6_6_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deadpool6_6_6

I dont think its so much that they screwed up. they just need better stories.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@Manwhohaseverything said:
I think you're making the mistake of thinking DC did the New 52 to appease the old-guard fan base. It was solely a business decision, a way to attract new readers. That was the goal of the New 52, not to make sure the Teen Titans made sense to long time readers. Batman is moving on as if nothing happened, because Batman sells anyhow, so little need for drastic changes. As a business decision, it has worked so far, and since a business decision is what is was, I have to conclude not only  did DC not screw up, but it was a brilliant move.
I approve this message :)
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

This, and I personally love 96% of the stories they are coming up with, so I say it's a success.
KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KnightRise

@justice teen: Ok, your grammar is atrocious. I dont find the New 52 confusing at all, its just not all the wasy fleshed out yet. Batman and Green Lantern timelines aren't messed up, the New 52 was labeled as a soft relaunch for whatever DC felt needed one, and obviously they were left out. You're citing Beast Boy's color change as an error? Come on. The Justice League recieved a new origin; something that happened in JLA: Secret Origins, something that happened in JLA #144, something that happened after Crisis on Infinite Earths, something that happened after Infinite Crisis, and something that happened after Zero Hour. Tough toenails, if you've been following comic books (and based on some of your outrage, I'm rather skeptical) you know that that happens. DC is leaving readers in speculation on purpose. It generates interest, which garners sales: exactly what the purpose of the New 52 was. Yes, I would love to see some of the characters that haven't recieved any attention yet, and yes, it is a little upsetting that certain storylines aren't so canon anymore. DC working their strategy, so until it is complete: hunker down and ride along.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By sinestro_GL

@justice teen: Stop creating thousands of threads complaining about how you miss Wally...your opinion has been noted.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cloudzackvincent

@The Stegman said:

I think you're making the mistake of thinking DC did the New 52 to appease the old-guard fan base. It was solely a business decision, a way to attract new readers. That was the goal of the New 52, not to make sure the Teen Titans made sense to long time readers. Batman is moving on as if nothing happened, because Batman sells anyhow, so little need for drastic changes. As a business decision, it has worked so far, and since a business decision is what is was, I have to conclude not only did DC not screw up, but it was a brilliant move.

This, and I personally love 96% of the stories they are coming up with, so I say it's a success.

it is a success, and it is here to stay... just like the post crisis contnuity

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#24  Edited By TronHammer

It certainly looks like it is working so far. If it begins to fail later I'm not sure they will return to the original numbering before and pick up where they left off. Personally I think something like an Ultimate universe would have been better. That way they would keep old fans happy and attract a new and different fan base. This would be a good experiment to see what the market truely wants.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By TheOptimist

@justice teen said:

here are some examples: beast boy is red, cyborg is a founding member of the jla instead of the martian, and green arrow( i have no problem with him begin on just not as a founding member) also it appears that he s around green arrow age group when he is suppose to be in roy's age group, Donna Troy and Wally don't exist( how you leave them about while keeping their team mates) the original teen titans weren't a team. Batman and the green lantern series seems to be going as if the new 52 never happen( explain that). what was the purpose of the reboot to reintroduce the characters and they go about this by screwing everything up and making it hard to follow. what do you think

Nope, I rather enjoy the New 52. Boy howdy I love the easy questions!

Well, Beast Boy is (temporarily) red in logical connection with the developing concept of "The Red" so I actually appreciate it. Cyborg has rather rocked his time on the JLA, "The Martian" still has his place and actually seems to have an interesting role developing in the future... 'age group' lost its meaning for me some time ago (and besides, Vic is only a few years out of High School), Donna and Wally are planned for a returned, the original TT may have been a team (perhaps even with the name), I'm rather happy that Batman and GL are going on as pre-New 52 (there was a solid foundation, not only of story but of fandom and sales), and the purpose of the reboot was to reinvigorate a somewhat stagnant sales line, which clearly has occurred... while some things may be "screwed up" I'll mention that there were plenty of "screwed up" things pre-New 52 that got fans just as hot and bothered (you're telling me you want one-armed Speedy to be drug addicted and fighting with a dead cat as his weapon? you want that returned to continuity? k.) and it actually seems rather simple to follow, as there is a generally coherent flow to the coordinated universe.

Just my opinion though.

@Manwhohaseverything said:

I think you're making the mistake of thinking DC did the New 52 to appease the old-guard fan base. It was solely a business decision, a way to attract new readers. That was the goal of the New 52, not to make sure the Teen Titans made sense to long time readers. Batman is moving on as if nothing happened, because Batman sells anyhow, so little need for drastic changes. As a business decision, it has worked so far, and since a business decision is what is was, I have to conclude not only did DC not screw up, but it was a brilliant move.

Alright, you probably said it better than I did...

@Nova`Prime` said:

Based on the current sales figures of the Ultimate universe... (and the fact that my experience suggests they are mostly the same fanbase) I don't subscribe to that theory so easily.

For anyone still feeling "confused" I'd like to hear what is so confusing... I genuinely don't see where the complications arise unless you're factoring in pre-new 52 continuity... (at which point, I'd like to note that the somewhat contradictory nature of the assertion that pre-new 52 was not confusing, when it is in fact the offending element of the equation). I'm pretty well versed in New 52, so if you express your confusions, I'll know what you're referencing. Share it out peeps. What're you confused about?

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nova`Prime`

@TheOptimist said:

@Nova`Prime` said:

Based on the current sales figures of the Ultimate universe... (and the fact that my experience suggests they are mostly the same fanbase) I don't subscribe to that theory so easily.

For anyone still feeling "confused" I'd like to hear what is so confusing... I genuinely don't see where the complications arise unless you're factoring in pre-new 52 continuity... (at which point, I'd like to note that the somewhat contradictory nature of the assertion that pre-new 52 was not confusing, when it is in fact the offending element of the equation). I'm pretty well versed in New 52, so if you express your confusions, I'll know what you're referencing. Share it out peeps. What're you confused about?

You can't just go off of recent sales of the Ultimate universe, you have to look back at when it was first launched. When it was originally launched I would wager it had very good sales among new comic fans. But then they started to delay releases, the stories got really over the top, the writing was lack luster. So from how it started to were it is now is totally different. And of course if you're a new reader and they start delaying it you're going to get turned off to it and then old school comic guy will stick with it because its something they are use too.

Since I am not reading anything from the big two, I would guess that what most people are confused about the new 52 is what pre 52 is still canon and what isn't.