#1 Posted by judasnixon (6961 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2410 posts) - - Show Bio

No, comic book company's will always want to kill off popular characters for shock value. Then bring them back for said popularity. Marvel and DC are notorious for this.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point its not even worth worrying about.

#4 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly no, and after the Death and Return of Superman, possibly never again. All bets are off now. They used to say that there are four characters who will never return from the dead (Uncle Ben, Jason Todd, Bucky Barnes, and Barry Allen), and three of the four are now living.

As Geoff Johns said, comics (at least Marvel and DC) are cyclical in nature. Things will always return to the norm or a newly-established norm.

#5 Posted by stumpy49er (611 posts) - - Show Bio

We're at that point already...

just not in DC or Marvel.

#6 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

Other than origin characters (uncle ben, the waynes, etc) dead is just a break from syndication

#7 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

It is fiction, any character that can be killed off someone else can come up with a reason and method to bring that person back.

#8 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Not for the big two, no.

#9 Posted by The_Tree (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

No, and I don't even want it to be that way. The way I see it, when a somewhat liked character is killed off, somebody is losing one of their favorites. Since the main superhero genre is never ending, I don't find that fair at all.

The only ways dead should mean dead are in independent comics, or for small characters that lacked any real importance.

#10 Posted by danhimself (22691 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

No, and I don't even want it to be that way. The way I see it, when a somewhat liked character is killed off, somebody is losing one of their favorites. Since the main superhero genre is never ending, I don't find that fair at all.

The only ways dead should mean dead are in independent comics, or for small characters that lacked any real importance.

I agree with this....plus if it were the other way around then who knows...we could end up missing out on that character's best written story ever just because a previous writer killed that character off and then future writers are no longer allowed to use that character anymore

also I don't think comics have ever had a point where dead is dead

#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (15084 posts) - - Show Bio

In the big two,No.

#12 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6020 posts) - - Show Bio

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! I meant to say "No" in the polls but I said "Yes" instead!

Anyway, I don't think that we will ever really get to that point where comic book characters stay dead because the companies would want to kill off the characters for shock value and then resurrect them to surprise the fans. Some resurrections were pretty good, but I can kind of see why the comic book companies (especially Marvel and DC) would want to continue killing off the characters and then bring them back to make more money. As long as the comic book companies are making money off of these events, death will never be permanent in comics.

#13 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

In the big two,No.

But in everything else yes.

#14 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark said:

Honestly no, and after the Death and Return of Superman, possibly never again. All bets are off now. They used to say that there are four characters who will never return from the dead (Uncle Ben, Jason Todd, Bucky Barnes, and Barry Allen), and three of the four are now living.

As Geoff Johns said, comics (at least Marvel and DC) are cyclical in nature. Things will always return to the norm or a newly-established norm.

This sums it up nicely. But if they ever bring Uncle Ben back that would be plain ridiculous.

#15 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, toward the beginning of the N52, DC said that characters that die will stay dead, but that ain't going to happen.

#16 Posted by Dernman (15464 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree said:

#17 Posted by Rumble Man (11118 posts) - - Show Bio

Wipe out all omnipotents and anyone above street level

then we can start talking

#18 Posted by jloneblackheart (5557 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends. Is it one of your favorite lower tier/supporting characters? Then YES! Death is forever.

#19 Edited by Sylvain (1640 posts) - - Show Bio

A big yes for figurants a big no for heroes

#20 Posted by eternalnature (364 posts) - - Show Bio

No at least until Damian comes back.

#21 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2057 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because it's fiction. So, if I were writing, say, Iron Man, and had Tony Stark die, with the intent of keeping him dead, it would only mean something as long as I was the writer of that book. As soon I went on to something else. (You mean DC wants me to write Batman? Sayanora Iron Man!) The next Iron Man writer would be free to bring Tony back if he/she so desired. And sooner or later..he/she would so desire.

I even disagree about it being permanent for minor characters. I think it's more likely but not automatic. Same reasoning applies. If Mark Waid kills Foggy Nelson, then the next writer really wants to bring him back ("I had a great idea for a Foggy story!" ) Well, this is comics, and a way could be constructed to bring him back. Therefore, we can never be 100% sure death means death.

#22 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

In Marvel and DC, death CANNOT really mean death.  in a universe where heroes never really age or mature and move onto different phases of life, the writers will always be trapped into bringing back the dead...
 So, the shock value of death is diminished significantly.  and this is truly said....  One of the things that makes life so precious is that it is FINITE.  it ends.  Thus, we really need to savor and appreciate what time we have...  That sort of appreciation for life is lost in DC and Marvel...

#23 Posted by TheCannon (19219 posts) - - Show Bio

@DH69 said:

Other than origin characters (uncle ben, the waynes, etc) dead is just a break from syndication

This.

#24 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

Well, toward the beginning of the N52, DC said that characters that die will stay dead, but that ain't going to happen.

Actually, they said that after Blackest Night... and then they brought back characters with Flashpoint.

#25 Posted by MyFavoriteViltrumite23 (82 posts) - - Show Bio

If it is a C list or below then yes

#26 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: LOL!!

#27 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm afraid the companies have gone Ironborn: "What is Dead May Never Die!" xP

#28 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

for Marvel and DC no.

Other companies we are already there

#29 Posted by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I sure hope not.

#30 Edited by darkman61288 (777 posts) - - Show Bio

No because if they did and the fans hate that the character died they would have to reboot everytime. For example lets say they killed Lois Lane ( and I hope to God they dont) and her death has a very negative reaction. Then Dc would have to reboot the whole universe all overagian just to bring her back.

#31 Posted by frostphoenix (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so. Most of the time characters that die, but are also really popular don't last dead forever and are back in newer issues.

In another hand we have also seen some characters that are still dead like Dove (Don Hall) from DC comics. But still, most of the characters that are still dead are those that are not very popular.

#32 Posted by ImmortalOne (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely not. Imagine if death really was permanent, and someone like Batman died? The fan outrage would be horrendous. Sales would decrease dramatically afterwards.

#33 Posted by dtm1980 (240 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there are a few characters that will eventually be killed off in time because everybody has a term of validity. Not just minor characters like GW Bridge that had little opportunity for popularity but who served many a purpose, but the likes of Nick Fury who is actually ageing now and taking a back seat. Then again some characters in comics are born to die just the once despite their popularity. Or come back just to die and die and die and die and die (and you know where I'm going with the rest of that)

#34 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

Valiant wouldn't bring back dead right? I'm good

#35 Posted by SaintG (66 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should learn a lesson from the nolanverse because most of the time the dead stay dead only bring them back if necessary or fun.

#36 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Profit always overrides comics rules so dead characters continue to come back if there is profit. Unprofitable characters can stay dead for many years, for example, Shayera Thal. In the bronze age, she was a member of the JLA. In pre-flashpoint, she was in the Justice League cartoons which tended to draw more from the silver age and bronze age. In the comics pre flashpoint, she was not popular and got killed off since dc wanted to concentrate on Katar Hol for a while. After that, Shayera Thal stayed dead for a while since she got replaced by Kendra Saunders. Post flashpoint New 52, Shayera is dead again since DC seems to want to concentrate on Katar Hol who is now a member of JLA.