• 75 results
Posted by darkbeam (2289 posts) 1 year, 10 days ago

Poll: Do you think that hollywood respects comic book fans (54 votes)

Yes 13%
No 70%
Not sure 17%

I understand that hollywood wants to make their on version of the these comic book charecters but sometimes their version is completely disrespectful to comic book fans. Like Mandarin you may not be a big fan of him but he does have he's fans,and I no how they fell because I'm a big fan of Cyclops and I'm not happy about how he was treated.And it's not just comic book movies look at that Dragon ball movie it was horrible and very disrespectful to fans.And right now hollywood is making big bucks of comic book films, and their probably going to be making much more with so many projects lined up but as they move forward I just hope they take time and really think about who these charecters are and what they stand for,but what do you think.

#1 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

With DC it's a bit hard to respect some of their characters when not even the company does. [Lookin at u Dan]

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@batpala said:

With DC it's a bit hard to respect some of their characters when not even the company does. [Lookin at u Dan]

Well said.

Though Marvel don't respect many of their characters either.

AvX -__-

#3 Edited by Baberaham_Lincoln (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Pffftt hollywood don't give a shit about comic fans input in the movies... look what they're doing with the Avengers sequel. But on the other hand, the movies are interpretations, so their creative input matters more than ours anyway.

#4 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of?

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by logy5000 (5771 posts) - - Show Bio

After the Mandarin twist, Superman breaking Zod's neck, etc. I'm gonna say no.

#7 Posted by RustyRoy (12717 posts) - - Show Bio

@batpala said:

Well said.

Though Marvel don't respect many of their characters either.

AvX -__-

And look what they did to Peter Parker.

Btw its not DC or Marvel that makes the movies, its WB and Disney and they pretty much don't care about the comic fans because we're the minority. But the people working on those movies do care to an extent.

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (42239 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not really.

#9 Edited by Jake Fury (18620 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they respect the money fans are willing to spend. But some of the more recent film adaptations have been downright embarassing.

#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
@rustyroy said:

And look what they did to Peter Parker.

Btw its not DC or Marvel that makes the movies, its WB and Disney and they pretty much don't care about the comic fans because we're the minority. But the people working on those movies do care to an extent.

If you mean Superior Spider-Man, they didn't really do anything to Peter that would suggest they don't care about his fans or the character. People may be complaining about it, but I don't think this idea was an attempt to ruin or drag down Peter Parker. I think they thought Dan Slott had a good idea. Had the response to the idea been negative enough to actually drop the sales, Marvel would have put Peter back in his own body ASAP.

#11 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6335 posts) - - Show Bio

I was the only person that voted yes, wasn't I?

#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (42239 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

eh

#14 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

When you take every Batman book combined, and Batman sells better than any other comic book character mind you, you get a monthly gross of less than a million.

You'd need a century for Batman's comic books to make as much money as the Dark Knight.

So no, not really.

#15 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

They care about our money. The best we can hope for is that they decide that making the movies true to the comic books is the best way to get our money. Or that one of the people behind the movie used to be a comic book fan and thus actually cares about the material.

#16 Posted by Bruxae (13866 posts) - - Show Bio

Naw, I think they respect their wallets and image.

#17 Posted by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

They respect Money.

#18 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11046 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want to say yes, but...nah

#19 Posted by BumpyBoo (9264 posts) - - Show Bio

A business that respects it's customers? Actually honestly respects them?

#20 Posted by darkbeam (2289 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: well they do sometimes,but also sometimes they just don't care have you seen the John Constantine movie

#21 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: No, not really, your money makes one percent of their earnings at best usually.

9% comes from other kinds of nerds, and 90% comes from John Q. Public.

#22 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

If they did, they would care more about what we have to say.

#23 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6335 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam: Don't blame all of Hollywood for one bad film. They've also made The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man 2, The Avengers, Man of Steel, and many more great films that push the comic book media to general audiences while giving us fans some really amazing films based on our favorite characters.

#24 Edited by Rossnrachel4ever (82 posts) - - Show Bio

A business is only beholden to its shareholders. Also, Hollywood doesn't even care about our money because we, as comic book fans, don't bring that much revenue to the marketplace. Just look at Scott Pilgrim. A very faithful adaptation made by a fan for the fans, but a commercial failure.

#25 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: It seems that the public loves the concepts introduced by comic books, but not the medium itself given how much better the merchandise and adaptations of comic books sell over the actual printed and digital books.

#26 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity: I said it was the best we can hope for, not that it was realistically going to happen. But we've still managed to get some good films out of the whole situation, so not complaining.

#27 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: Well yeah, some of what appeals to much larger facets of Nerd dom and John Q Public also appeals to your kind.

#28 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6335 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity: I've met many, many people on this site alone who got into comics due to the movies. Though merchandise, of course, will always sell more.

#30 Posted by darkbeam (2289 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: yeah that's why I said sometimes.Their good sometimes and bad sometimes but a couple of those you just mentioned I did not like

#31 Posted by RustyRoy (12717 posts) - - Show Bio

If you mean Superior Spider-Man, they didn't really do anything to Peter that would suggest they don't care about his fans or the character. People may be complaining about it, but I don't think this idea was an attempt to ruin or drag down Peter Parker. I think they thought Dan Slott had a good idea. Had the response to the idea been negative enough to actually drop the sales, Marvel would have put Peter back in his own body ASAP.

If fans are complaining and they still don't change their decisions then how can you say they care about fans, all I'm saying that Marvel is not better than DC when it comes to their characters and fans, although DC editors are worse than Marvel.

#32 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: And yet it'd take Batman's combined books nearly a hundred years to make as much money as the Dark Knight.

:/

#33 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6335 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam: Yeah, I agree. And which ones did you not like? I'm not the biggest fan of Iron Man 2, but it wasn't bad. Everything else was pretty great in my opinion.

#34 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: Well yeah, some of what appeals to much larger facets of Nerd dom and John Q Public also appeals to your kind.

I'm sorry what do you mean by "your kind"? Just a bit confused by the wording.

#35 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@dctv3363: Comic Book fandom. Which I consider myself not fully a part of since I've been somewhat more of a (traditional and video) gamer, sci-fi/fantasy nerd, and a webcomic reader. I still enjoy a good comic book though.

#36 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by heroesgold (608 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

A business that respects it's customers? Actually honestly respects them?

#39 Posted by ccraft (5266 posts) - - Show Bio

Hollywood respects comic fans enough to put big money into cbms like Avengers and Batman movies, the audacity of comic fans annoys me sometimes. That's it I'm not associating myself with comic fans now. They're making Avengers 2, Superman/Batman and now Guardians of the Galax, I think they deserve a little more credit than you guys give them.

#40 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@ccraft said:

Hollywood respects comic fans enough to put big money into cbms like Avengers and Batman movies, the audacity of comic fans annoys me sometimes. That's it I'm not associating myself with comic fans now. They're making Avengers 2, Superman/Batman and now Guardians of the Galax, I think they deserve a little more credit than you guys give them.

Because they make lots of money, it has nothing to do with respect. Their are some people in Hollywood who actually care about comic book readers, and probably read comic books themselves but they aren't in the majority.

#41 Posted by sinestro_GL (3152 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have put a spoiler warning on this thread...

#42 Edited by darkbeam (2289 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by darkbeam (2289 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: yeah I didn't like Ironman 2 also.Pluss I wish that Captin America was darker,and I felt that Darknight rises was lackluster to the rest of the trilogy

#44 Posted by sinestro_GL (3152 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam said:

@sinestro_gl: sorry I'm kinda new at making forums

I actually was referring more to the responses to your OP, rather what you posted.

For example, @logy5000's post contains 2 spoilers in one sentence

#45 Edited by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Hollywood doesn't respect anyone. It's all about the money.

#46 Edited by teddy_the_god_killer (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting that the two film giants show so much respect to classics for example Disney's treatment of things like Snow White etc (granted they are old but they have preserved most quite accurately give or take) but they still make changes to comic conversions in such a way that they no longer make sense or have to be compensated for later.

#47 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure they do. Marvel is making the creative decisions for their films, it's called Marvel studios. DC with Warner is the same. They recognize that films are different than the comics but they do a great job of maintaining the integrity of their characters and for the most part portray their main characters appropriately.

The films aren't meant to be exactly like the comics, otherwise you'd just read the comics. So if a fan is being reasonable with their expectations there's no reason to take issue with the film industry, specifically with the studios that are directly under the guiding influence Marvel and DC.

I can't speak for the companies who happen to own comic book properties and where the creators don't have influence.

Something like Amazing Spider Man comes to mind because I'm not sure Marvel had much say as Sony owns the rights not Marvel studios. And I'm not a big Spidey fan so I can't say much on it other than I thought it was a blatant retread and rather boring. Felt like they pushed a movie out like a hard turd because they had to to keep the rights.

Warner and Marvel studios have more of a vision while X-Men, Spidey and Fantastic Four seem more like Hollywood studios trying to cash in with their Marvel properties. They don't have anyone to be accountable to like Warner or Marvel studios. That's my opinion anyway. And I think it's apparent in the difference in quality.

#49 Posted by darkbeam (2289 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell NO! MetH Has seen many Hollywood personnel wHo Have sHown a Huge lack of respect to tHe fans.

-m3th.O.D.-