Do you think Spiderman belongs in Marvel's "Trinity"?

• 99 results
the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_red_viper  Moderator

OK, so we all know DC has an official Trinity which consists of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, which are basically their most core and basic characters.

Marvel doesn't have an official Trinity such as this, and I've seen many people discuss who SHOULD be in Marvel's Trinity, if they had one.

Most common names I see are Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America, especially due to them being the most successful and popular franchises Marvel has today (mostly thanks to the movies of course). Also seen a cool idea that suggests that Marvel's Trinity are actually the Avengers, X-Men and Fantastic Four.

But, I believe that Spiderman, despite not being as popular worldwide as the others, is one of Marvel's most important and core characters, if not the most. When people say "Marvel", Spidey is the first character I think of, even though I've never quite took any special interest in him (never read his comics to be honest). He's just a must-have character in Marvel's Trinity, if they ever have one. What do you think of this?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

As I said in the other thread, Marvel doesn't really have a trilogy like DC does. The Avengers 'trinity' is Cap, Iron Man, & Thor. But in terms of overall popularity, I'd say it's Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Marvel has a Trinity. In Universe its Cap, tony and Thor.

Spidey is in the popularity Trinity but the MCU is taking that place

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@stormshadow_x: That's the Avengers Trinity. Not the companies trinity.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spider-ManWins

at op

you may want to check this out

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=111109

its the opposite

none of the avengers are as popular as spider-man

its not spideys fault that sony was shetting on him. No thor movie has surpassed spider-man's solos movies. it takes a combined universe to derail spidey, and next year, spidey will be a part of that universe!!

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A trinity should consist of the companies most iconic/popular/influential Heros/heroines both in canon and out. Spidey is definitely one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MasterKungFu

yes

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You damn right he does.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In-Universe ...Nope

For merchandising/sales...Absolutely

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stormshadow_x

@avenging_x_bolt: Based on your opinion. I stated in another thread that they are the in universe trinity and the popularity trinity consist of Spiderman , Ironman and possible cap.

You know what a opinion is right ?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

THE TRINITY IS NOT THE MOST POPULAR CHARACTERS!

The Trinity is the most important IN UNIVERSE characters.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not popularity, it's in universe impact. Spiderman isn't as impactful in universe as Captain America, Ironman, Thor or even Hulk.

It's Captain America, Ironman & Thor. In our world it's Spiderman, Wolverine & Hulk.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormshadow_x:

Opinion=what other people say.

Fact=what I say

:p

In all seriousness, if there are 2 groups then that is six people which is not a Trinity. Tri means 3.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I would assume that popularity/being iconic factors into things somehow.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is marvel tbh it's not at I love it's a solo

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: did you honestly just say Spider-Man isn't as popular as ironman, hulk and captain America worldwide and your being serious LOL

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's not about popularity. Green Lantern is more popular than Wonder Woman yet is still not part of the trinity. It's in universe impact. So as stated before Marvels trinity is Thor, Captain America and Iron-Man.

Popularity wise its Spidey, Iron-Man and Wolverine and DC its Supes, GL and Batman.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper: did you honestly just say Spider-Man isn't as popular as ironman, hulk and captain America worldwide and your being serious LOL

Yes. Maybe this isn't true among comic-book fans, but among most of the world (that don't read comics), Iron Man and Hulk are probably the most popular Marvel characters today.

YIFY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So MARVEL's trinity is

• Franklin Richards?
  • Galactus?
  • Thanos?

-yify

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@yify said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

So MARVEL's trinity is

• Franklin Richards?
  • Galactus?
  • Thanos?

-yify

Obviously not...

Iron Man, Cap and Thor are the leaders of the Superhero community just like Supes, Batman and Wonder Woman.

YIFY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By YIFY

@yify said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

So MARVEL's trinity is

• Franklin Richards?
  • Galactus?
  • Thanos?

-yify

Obviously not...

Iron Man, Cap and Thor are the leaders of the Superhero community just like Supes, Batman and Wonder Woman.

Well,

Franklin Richards is the most important human in the universe.

Galactus is necessary in the universe

and Thanos? I don't know why I put Thanos....

-yify

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: look at sales their best indicator in merchandise Spider-Man sells more than the rest of marvel combined, he even oursells batman and superman merchandise put together. Has 5 solo films.

At holloween you see tons of paid reman masks. Captain America,hulk and ironman still aren't even more known and popular as wolverine

Furthermore in comics Spider-Man sells 10x more comics on average than captain America, ironman and about 5x as much as hulk

But seriously when you go into toys store and stuff when you were young there's a whole Spider-Man section and then a marvel section.

add in over 12 solo video games in consoles in which hulk has 2, captain America has 1 and iron man has 2

I really don't see how in anyway they are more popular and known

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gracetrack

I've always seen the trinity as being more about real-world popularity/impact, and not so much about in-universe importance.

Let's face it, Batman and Wonder Woman, even though they are in the DC "trinity," are actually not as important to the DC universe as quite a few other heroes are (again, I'm speaking in-universe here). Shoot, historically, Bats and WW haven't even been written as the greatest of leaders, even though they are constantly put on a pedestal by DC's head shed. There are other far more important heroes than those two, and more inspiring leaders (in-universe); characters who are much more integral to the DC earth (and/or universe) and its ability to survive/thrive. Heroes like Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter would fit on that list, and maybe a few others.

That said... Spider-Man, Hulk, and Captain America have always been the closest thing to rivaling DC's trinity, in my books. Apart from the Fantasic Four (which I don't count because they are already a team), Spidey, Cap, and Hulk were pretty much the big Marvel heroes to start it all, having the greatest popularity and the most real-world impact on the comic book medium and culture. Wolverine would be the runner up for entry.

Iron Man might be in the running now as well, because his popularity has risen greatly over the last 7 years or so (thanks to RDJ and the cinematic universe). Before that, though, nobody would have even considered him as being in the running for a Marvel trinity, and rightly so. His impact on the comic book medium and society in general weren't really anything to talk about before then.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: You're either trolling or can't read. Either way I'm done with this conversation.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Penguin-Dust

As I stated in the other thread, if I was to pick a trio for the Marvel Trinity, it would be Captain America, Spider-Man and Wolverine.

1. Captain America is the oldest active character in the Marvel Universe, he is also central to the Avengers, Marvels current preeminent superhero team. On the big screen, Iron Man and him vie for the spotlight, but Cap has traditionally been the leader and it looks like that's going to continue for now.
  2. Spider-Man was not the first of the classic Marvel we all know, but he has long since been the most recognizable of the Marvel characters and is an icon for Marvel Comics as a whole. Like Batman, there's often been more monthly titles just focused on him than any other solo character. Even today, he parallels the Bat-Family with Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman, Silk, and Spider-Island
  3. Wolverine has long been the central character in Marvel's previous predominant group of heroes, The X-Men and all things mutant for that matter. In addition to his own books, he's probably appeared more times in other hero books than any other character. He headlined his own TV series over the X-Men and has appeared in all of the X-Men movies plus two of his own. Current Disney-Marvel is downplaying the X-Men and mutants because of movie deals with FOX, but if those rights ever return to Disney proper, I am sure he'll be catapulted back into the spotlight as a central figure across all Marvel media. (I should note that all of this refers to Logan and not the "new" Wolverine, Laura)
Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penguindust: I like your list and your reasoning. I'd personally swap out Wolverine for Hulk, but nice list. :)

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormshadow_x: to clarify the (me=fact,other=opinion) part was a joke. The other part I meant but realize is completely opinion. I just didn't bother saying it.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: Yes, it's a toss up and as a long time fan of the Hulk, you'd think I would go with him, but the importance that the mutant element has had to the Marvel Universe over the decades supercedes my devotion to all things Hulk. Wolverine has been the most important mutant since the early 80's, and so I selected him.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gracetrack

@penguindust: Very good point. You've got me reconsidering swapping out Hulk for Wolverine on my list.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper: look at sales their best indicator in merchandise Spider-Man sells more than the rest of marvel combined, he even oursells batman and superman merchandise put together. Has 5 solo films.

At holloween you see tons of paid reman masks. Captain America,hulk and ironman still aren't even more known and popular as wolverine

Furthermore in comics Spider-Man sells 10x more comics on average than captain America, ironman and about 5x as much as hulk

But seriously when you go into toys store and stuff when you were young there's a whole Spider-Man section and then a marvel section.

add in over 12 solo video games in consoles in which hulk has 2, captain America has 1 and iron man has 2

Believe me, when it comes to merchandise, The Avengers (from the films) out-class Spidey with ease. I recently went to tons of toy stores and retailers, such as Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart and many others, because I was looking for a gift for my nephew. The Avengers have whole walls for themselves. Not that Spiderman is missing from the stores or anything, but you mostly see Cap, Thor, Hulk and all those guys. Nowadays, the whole superhero-buzz among the non-comic-book-reader community is around The Avengers. Not Spiderman. His 5 solo films haven't half the hype around them as either Avengers films.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: I'd like to debate that WW & Batman do have a large impact in universe alongside Superman

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2 said:

Believe me, when it comes to merchandise, The Avengers (from the films) out-class Spidey with ease. I recently went to tons of toy stores and retailers, such as Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart and many others, because I was looking for a gift for my nephew. The Avengers have whole walls for themselves. Not that Spiderman is missing from the stores or anything, but you mostly see Cap, Thor, Hulk and all those guys. Nowadays, the whole superhero-buzz among the non-comic-book-reader community is around The Avengers. Not Spiderman. His 5 solo films haven't half the hype around them as either Avengers films.

LOL what? Toy stores have a section for only for Spidey and a section for all the Avengers combined. I can tell you are an Avengers fanboy (you can't even spell Spider-Man right) but please, stop lying to yourself. It isn't healthy.

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: @blackspidey2099:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=111109

Spider-Man sold 1,3 billion dollars worth of merchandise the avengers sold only 300 million

I have no idea where your getting your facts from

And more than 60% of that 1,3 billion was sold from overseas. It is not even comparable frankly

Spider-Man outsold all of marvel put together and times by 2 last year

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman being a member of the trinity doesn't really make sense from an in-universe POV. He never really leads and is typically a loner character.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=111109

say that to the facts

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_red_viper  Moderator

@blackspidey2099: I am not an Avengers fanboy, I don't even like Marvel all that much... I'm just telling you what I'm seeing in stores. And I have been in plenty.

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: :/ maybe wen he was younger, but he regularly leads team only earlier this year he was going around the multiverse gathering followers and leading an army of spiders. He's even be shown to take command of guardians of the galaxy when he has tagged along

And he was one of the deciding factors in Civil war

And he's o e of the only characters in the whole of marvel to actually meet the TOAA

I feel people views on Spider-Man think that's he's still a teenager

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the certain obsession with Trinity....can't the Marvel be just Marvel why there has to be a big three?

EclipseBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is the Trinity...

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I say its Spidey, Wolverine, and Cap. Iron Man and Hulk on the outskirts.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eclipsebat: exactly

cant people understand that ironman was a b lister at best before the movies?

5 years of popularity cannot ovveride 50 years of iconicness

especially when its the actor thats popular, not the superhero

not to mention spider-man is set up to appear next year in cap 3

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-manwins: trinity is not about character popularity. Literally everyone on the site knows that Spiderman popularity far exceeds anyone in the MU.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: spider-mans isnt just a "fad"

hes the marvel icon

these avengers? these are a fad. well at least ironman is

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-manwins: you seem to have something against Ironman. What Ironman is a fad but Black Widow isn't. I'm not a big Ironman fan but you need to understand that Stark is here for the long run because the character is very modern. Same reason why Cyborg will be big.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: eh i dont see cyborg being very big

black widoe isnt anywhere near as liked as ironman

NOT TO MENTION,

No Caption Provided

SEE THAT!? I DONT CARE ABOUT THOR OR CAP OR HULK, THEYRE OFF TO THE SIDES, LIKE THEYVE ALWAYS BEEN. BUT IRONMAN IS RIGHT WHERE SPIDER-MAN SHOULD BE!!

No Caption Provided

THIS IS HOW SHOULD BE

BEEN LIKE THIS FOR OVER 50 YEARS, AND THAT IS HOW IT BELONGS

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider-manwins: Cyborg is the sort of character people are into nowadays, trust me he alongside Black Panther and Inhumans will be massive.

As long as the MCU is still around Ironman will own that middle spot, the only way Spiderman will gain that spot back is when his movie sells as much as Ironman 3, or he leads two films that reach the billion dollar mark. Just look at Marvel Superheroes Cover. Spiderman and Wolverine are at the sidelines for Ironman.