Do you read more manga or comics?

• 96 results
Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Over the course of my life I've probably spent more time reading manga, but I've spent a ridiculous amount more on comics. Currently though I spend more time reading comics.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By StardustCrusader

Manghwa stomps all.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@squares said:

Comics. I read manga a lot when I was younger, just kind of grew out of it.

This. I tried watching a bit of anime a while ago (Initial D), and I found the character to expressions to be pretty dang obnoxious, and there are obnoxious character expressions in almost every manga and anime series. I used to be accustomed to obnoxious character expressions in anime, but now I can hardly stand them.

If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, here's an example.

No Caption Provided

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Netshyster

@farkam said:

I went through a period of only reading manga, and finding comics to be "eww", and right now it is the opposite. I only read Naruto and One Piece nowadays.

That's been my situation for ages now. Japanese comics (Manga) have become regressive, stagnant, throw-away garbage as the years have rolled by, it's terrible. I agree wholeheartedly with Brian Lee O'Malley, creator of Scott Pilgrim, when he said that around 90-95% of Manga is crap; nowadays you have to look real hard to find something that's actually worth your time and attention.

They're in the same rut creatively, that American Superhero comics are in right now.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SavageSick97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im reading more manhwa...

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jonez_

@ryagan: You just need to read the more serious adult manga. There are a bunch trust me.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@ryagan: yeah, I don't like silly manga like that(Soul Eater and Naruto are the only exceptions), I called them "anime freak outs" when they make that face. But there are serious manga that aren't ridiculous. Death Note, Monster, Gantz, Evangelion etc.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always been like that. It's easy to forget all the crap from the past and cherry pick up the good things instead.

BB

And just how far back are you willing to go to substantiate that claim? I'm just personally speaking from my own experience with Manga and Anime from when I was a boy to now, and as far as I'm concerned I've definitely seen a decline in the medium from what it was to where it it is now currently.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Billy Batson

@billy_batson said:

It's always been like that. It's easy to forget all the crap from the past and cherry pick up the good things instead.

BB

And just how far back are you willing to go to substantiate that claim?

To the beginning.

I'm just personally speaking from my own experience with Manga and Anime from when I was a boy to now, and as far as I'm concerned I've definitely seen a decline in the medium from what it was to where it it is now currently.

People say this about every medium.

"Back in my day..."

BB

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Comic books.I rarely read manga.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson:

"To the beginning."

Of what, time? The statement is entirely without meaning or substance, as is your claim that "It's always been like that" (says who?)with regard to the standard of art and culture.

"People say this about every medium."

"Back in my day..."

And sometimes they're looking at their time period through rose-tinted glasses and at other times they do have a point.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Netshyster

"It's just looking at thing through rose-tinted glasses."

So it's your opinion that everything at all times, uniform throughout history has always been mediocre crap, no better than today or worse; History is a tale of persistent and overwhelming stagnation with only a tiny fraction of anything ever being good?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not really a tiny fraction (no one can calculate the exact percentage because no one has the time for it) because there is so much stuff being made so there is actually plenty of good stuff to enjoy.

It's just there is more bad work than good OR there is as much bad work as there good work but when you take in the average work, the amount of good work is lesser than the bad and average works.

BB

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga.

Comics ain't cheap to obtain nowadays. plus manga is free.

when i want to read some comics i download it illegaly

You shouldn't get them illegally. If you like something you support it by buying it, otherwise you don't.

Also... mangas are for free? No they are not. You are just reading them illegally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryagan: yeah, I don't like silly manga like that(Soul Eater and Naruto are the only exceptions), I called them "anime freak outs" when they make that face. But there are serious manga that aren't ridiculous. Death Note, Monster, Gantz, Evangelion etc.

Believe it or not, I actually read those series when I was younger (except for Gantz). Evangelion was psychologically twisted, and I loved it for that reason. Monster was also pretty crazy. As for Death Note, I never got that into it.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not really a tiny fraction (no one can calculate the exact percentage because no one has the time for it) because there is so much stuff being made so there is actually plenty of good stuff to enjoy.

It's just there is more bad work than good OR there is as much bad work as there good work but when you take in the average work, the amount of good work is lesser than the bad and average works.

BB

"It's not really a tiny fraction (no one can calculate the exact percentage because no one has the time for it) because there is so much stuff being made so there is actually plenty of good stuff to enjoy."

The good stuff would be a tiny fraction in comparison to the overwhelming bad if around 90% of everything is always constantly bad, but that's not the point I'm addressing here:

Why do you believe that everything is always mostly bad?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Comics, but I'm growing a larger penchant for manga day by day.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why wouldn't one believe so?

I've read, watched and listened to many things and I've found the majority of them being average and bad. Be it novels, comics, TV, movies, music and etc.

Have you not experienced the same?

BB

Sure, but that doesn't automatically mean things have always been bad or will always be bad because they're bad today; I'm getting that vibe from you so correct me if I'm mistaken.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you had asked me this 2-3 years ago, I would've said manga, now I have to say comics, tho my manga collection is still much bigger than my comic collection xD

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

Manga.

You shouldn't get them illegally. If you like something you support it by buying it, otherwise you don't.

Also... mangas are for free? No they are not. You are just reading them illegally.

Meh i don't have money.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's been my situation for ages now. Japanese comics (Manga) have become regressive, stagnant, throw-away garbage as the years have rolled by, it's terrible. I agree wholeheartedly with Brian Lee O'Malley, creator of Scott Pilgrim, when he said that around 90-95% of Manga is crap; nowadays you have to look real hard to find something that's actually worth your time and attention.

They're in the same rut creatively, that American Superhero comics are in right now.

This (all of it) is the exact word from god, if one exists.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By MatteoPG

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

Manga.

Meh i don't have money.

Then don't read them. I didn't have money too when I was younger. I read the stuff I really liked and caught up when I had the money.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't automatically mean that everything will be the same in the future, who knows if it'll turn around, but as of now, good thing have been the minority in history. Or can you name a period of any medium where the majority was good instead of average and bad?

BB

I'm not an Historian but I know that human history moves in cycles from greatness to mediocrity, Civilisations rise, have their golden ages and fall when they become corrupted; naturally culture would work the same way as it's inextricably linked to society and civilisation. Western society is falling apart all around us, debt, poverty, greed, corruption, war, superficiality, amorality etc standards of living and culture in general right here in the west is at an immense low, is it surprising then that our art is too?

You have to understand that you're living in a very specific period of time where your experiences are entirely subjective to the current state of culture in that period. We're alive in grim times, doesn't mean all of history was grim.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson said:

It doesn't automatically mean that everything will be the same in the future, who knows if it'll turn around, but as of now, good thing have been the minority in history. Or can you name a period of any medium where the majority was good instead of average and bad?

BB

I'm not an Historian but I know that human history moves in cycles from greatness to mediocrity, Civilisations rise, have their golden ages and fall when they become corrupted; naturally culture would work the same way as it's inextricably linked to society and civilisation. Western society is falling apart all around us, debt, poverty, greed, corruption, war, superficiality, amorality etc standards of living and culture in general right here in the west is at an immense low, is it surprising then that our art is too?

You have to understand that you're living in a very specific period of time where your experiences are entirely subjective to the current state of culture in that period. We're alive in grim times, doesn't mean all of history was grim.

How depressing. Lol.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@netshyster said:

@billy_batson said:

BB

How depressing. Lol.

But what's your point?

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

Manga.

Meh i don't have money.

Then don't read them. I didn't have money too when I was younger. I read the stuff I really liked and caught up when I had the money.

Well that's your point.. but i will still read them don't care if its illegal or not.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MatteoPG

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

Manga.

Meh i don't have money.

Well that's your point.. but i will still read them don't care if its illegal or not.

Good for you. Just hope that a mod doesn't see this conversation :)

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

Manga.

Meh i don't have money.

What will the mod do?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@netshyster said:

@billy_batson said:

BB

How depressing. Lol.

But what's your point?

I'm just responding to your notion of us living in "grim times". I'm not even arguing with you dude.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@netshyster: I know that it is against site rules to promote or speak of practicing piracy freely. I'm not sure what the consequences are, I guess it would depend on the contents of the posts and the repetition. For a first time like this it may be just a warning.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

@netshyster: I know that it is against site rules to promote or speak of practicing piracy freely. I'm not sure what the consequences are, I guess it would depend on the contents of the posts and the repetition. For a first time like this it may be just a warning.

It's not against the rules to speak about piracy. It's ok as long as you don't post pirated material here.

BB

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Chibi_cute

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

@matteopg said:

@chibi_cute said:

Manga.

Meh i don't have money.

K

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@netshyster said:

@farkam said:

@netshyster said:

@billy_batson said:

BB

How depressing. Lol.

But what's your point?

I'm just responding to your notion of us living in "grim times". I'm not even arguing with you dude.

Don't take it personally, I mean no offence but you can never be too careful with A-holes on the internet and their sarcastic jabs and remarks. Don't hate me!

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

It's not against the rules to speak about piracy. It's ok as long as you don't post pirated material here.

BB

You are right. Still, I thought that speaking well and incouraging piracy was still frowned upon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga, not because of preference but because it's more easily accessible. The difference is marginal though..

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#97 SC  Moderator

@chibi_cute said:

I usually download it on - deleted - or - deleted -

Hello. Talking about piracy in a general sense is okay. Anything remotely sounding like promotion, endorsement or recommendation of a illegal pirating or torrenting website specifically is one of the fastest ways to get banned from this website. Please remember that therefore for the future.

CV is staunchly anti piracy as it can have negative implications for the site. Being banned is generally also a negative for a user so basically lets be positive and don't mention illegal websites alright. Thanks.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: well it seems i have crossed the line. And i apologize for that matter.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#99 SC  Moderator

@chibi_cute: No worries. It seems like an innocent mistake, just something to remember for the future. ^_^.

Comics aren't cheap, I would recommend as an alternative saving up to purchase some sort of digital service. Comixology etc Is a nice cheap way of getting to read a lot of comics the legal and cheap way. Take care!