Do you prefer well developed plots in comics or just straight action?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Can't I just have both.....

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I prefer well-developed plots in comics because I would want to know about why the characters are fighting and how they react to those situations.  It would also make the story much easier to understand if we know about the character's motives behind the actions and I also want to connect to the character.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Lvenger

@cattlebattle said:

This. You can't really have one without the other. Whilst character development, plot twists, motives behind the actions are all well and good, a comic needs some punchy action sequences to keep it entertaining.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I like well developed plots the best

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

a obviously...
BB

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Supreme Marvel

A.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Kal'smahboi

A good story needs both, but if I have to pick one, a plot is more essential.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Developed plots and characterisation, I good read a whole years worth of books with not a single punch thrown and be cool with it as long as it was well written 

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Kal'smahboi said:
A good story needs both, but if I have to pick one, a plot is more essential.
Yeah, I should have put a third option for "both" but I forgot. Anyway, I think there needs to be action also, but a plot would easily describe the motives of action behind the characters.
rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By rav4

while I chose the plot option, it is important to find a balance of both in a comic. That being said, I can tolerate a slow, but well developed plot with little action a lot longer than I can tolerate mindless action with no semblance of a plot whatsoever.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#12  Edited By Deadcool

Well developed plots with action in the middle of the situations.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123

Well developed plots with action.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Well developed plots with action

But I care more probably about the plots than the action.

Civil War had me hooked on the discussions that went on when the heroes weren't fighting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Who voted B?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Jnr6Lil said:

Civil War had me hooked on the discussions that went on when the heroes weren't fighting.

Yeah, I am also interested in the discussions the heroes had with each other since I can easily get into their heads about how they feel about the situations.
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@Billy Batson said:

a obviously...
BB

TurianAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By TurianAgent

Both.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By BatteredArmor

depends on how I'm feeling, yes usually I prefer complex and intricate stories but there is a reason I have a Mark Miller section on my bookshelf sometimes I just want stuff blowing up and story can get in the way. That said A is vastly more important to me 90% of the time

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

Yeah, I am also interested in the discussions the heroes had with each other since I can easily get into their heads about how they feel about the situations.

Definitely

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By jrock85

A little bit of both.

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zomboid

A, of course. Straight action is stupid if there's not a good story and reasoning behind it.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By _Zombie_

While I would prefer both, as cattlebattle said, I can't read a book if it has a crappy plot. The action would be good, but you wouldn't have anything to back it up.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By moywar700

I can tolerate a well-developed plot longer than straight action. I'll start to pull my hair out if nobody throws a punch for 10 issues during a superman comic.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CATPANEXE

To me the plot is the music and the action is the fireworks show. Both are enjoyable, but only the first one moves me.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Developed stories, definitely. But usually with a combo (though I wouldn't say V for Vendetta or Sandman had much action)

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Zomboid said:

A, of course. Straight action is stupid if there's not a good story and reasoning behind it.

Exactly! If I want to enjoy the action, then there needs to be a logical reason behind it.
intothetempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By intothetempest

Yeah, a bit of both for sure. I love to see a slug fest, especially between heroes fighting that’s just awesome. But if I had to choose, well developed plot is more important to me, like Superman Red Son or Kingdom Come are two of my all time favorite arcs and neither are overpowered by too much senseless action

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@JediXMan said:

Developed stories, definitely. But usually with a combo (though I wouldn't say V for Vendetta or Sandman had much action)

Ooh! I love the "Sandman" series!
zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zackattack529

hahaha whoever picked B is stuck in the golden age of comics! XD not an insult tho..i actually like my fair share of action. but i think comics have become more sophisticated and require a more well developed story. and plus dont you need a well devlepoed story to explain or delve into the action?..like goodness can you imagine if a movie like lord of the rings or star wars was just all action..haha it be MADNESS!?!! you need both..its as simple as that :p

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@zackattack529 said:

hahaha whoever picked B is stuck in the golden age of comics! XD not an insult tho..i actually like my fair share of action. but i think comics have become more sophisticated and require a more well developed story. and plus dont you need a well devlepoed story to explain or delve into the action?..like goodness can you imagine if a movie like lord of the rings or star wars was just all action..haha it be MADNESS!?!! you need both..its as simple as that :p

I definitely agree with this! We need a very good storyline that can explain why the characters are involved in the action in the first place!
Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

I chose A obviously. But there needs to be a balance. A good, solid, exciting plot + Faces that need a punchin' = winning formula..

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Enosisik

Depends on the perpose of my wanting to read. If you could give me a dream match like marvel vs Dc or a just great match up that is rare like Thanos vs Apocalypse .. Then I'm happy with just a great brawl but overall I need both. Nothing Is more disappointing than a long drawn out story with only a short batte at the end. I need the story to keep me informed on the action and vise versa. Some books you just don't expect great dialog like old Hulk books. Hulk was just I'm angry now watch me fight for twelve pages. Most comics , when you think of them or go back to flip through them , you go directly to that scene where the fight starts or some dramatic event happens in picture. The only time I think we flip to read a specific line is because it was historically important to the series or holds important information. So basically this all breaks down to dialog vs art...

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jorgevy

B.

Comics should have the right portion of both, but due to my dificulty in focusing and concentrating while reading and general personality, I need action in there and I can easily tolerate a crappy plot, but cannot tolerate an actionless issue.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35  Edited By RedOwl_1

Straight action always ends looking like random and senseless fight, without a well developed plot, stupid comics I say (Dude what case is on seeing guys punching without reason).

But we don't want reading there all day without some action, no matter how well is written, you will end sleepy

@Jnr6Lil said:

Uh that's the best part, what I most like of comics: The psychological side.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@RedOwl_1 said:

Straight action always ends looking like random and senseless fight, without a well developed plot, stupid comics I say (Dude what case is on seeing guys punching without reason).

But we don't want reading there all day without some action, no matter how well is written, you will end sleepy

@Jnr6Lil said:

Exactly. That's how X-Men became so great

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Jnr6Lil said:

@RedOwl_1 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

I loved the X-Men comics because they were always discussing about how the characters felt about the situations they were thrown in and I loved the way that they connected the racial tensions in the real world with the characters, so it made me really relate to the characters. Nowadays, there is just straight action with most of these characters.
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Deranged Midget

@cattlebattle said:

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is like asking if you prefer great writing or great art and it only makes sense to have both in comics.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Adnan

I agree with the "no reason why there can't be both". A well-developed plot will probably do a better job of keeping me interested in the long run though - even if I love me a good action scene (emphasis on good, lame ones take a lot away from the story imo)

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@Rabbitearsblog said:

I prefer well-developed plots in comics because I would want to know about why the characters are fighting and how they react to those situations. It would also make the story much easier to understand if we know about the character's motives behind the actions and I also want to connect to the character.
Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nudeviking

I prefer well developed plots, but there is something to be said for the straight action. Pick up almost any silver age comic and you can read that book from beginning to end and without having read a single previous issue and understand the entire story.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@RedOwl_1 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

I loved the X-Men comics because they were always discussing about how the characters felt about the situations they were thrown in and I loved the way that they connected the racial tensions in the real world with the characters, so it made me really relate to the characters. Nowadays, there is just straight action with most of these characters.

Well can't have them be oppressed forever

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheWitchingHour

I think Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-men is a wonderful example of the best of both worlds. It's also a very traditional plot structure in a very good way.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CODYSF

A

Avatar image for scarlett_wiccan
Scarlett_Wiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Scarlett_Wiccan

Well developed plot

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@TheWitchingHour said:

I think Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-men is a wonderful example of the best of both worlds. It's also a very traditional plot structure in a very good way.

I definitely agree with this! Joss Whedon really knew how to balance the action and the character development with the characters and I loved with what he done with Kitty Pryde's character while providing some good action scenes in the mix.