Do you prefer a series of short comics, or a graphic novel?

Jokerpoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jokerpoker

I can see how people would like to get a bunch of short comics in a series. After you flip the last page on the pack you hop on your bike, pedal to the comic store with the "to be continued" ringing in your head. In no time you reach the store, dig 50 cents out of your pocket and get the next comic. You continue the process, reading the book than getting some fresh air while you travel to the store to nearest store.

Than again, many people prefer a graphic novel. You take seat down on a comfortable chair on the beach, lay back pulling out a novel that will last you the rest of the day. You sit sucked into the graphic novel, not having to move a muscle, just relaxing, your favorite character is doing all he work in the book.

Every person is different. I enjoy the graphic novels, but years ago when I was younger I always loved the comic series. Which do you prefer?

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By thespideyguy

I'm more of a series guy. I don't like to wait.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I like to pick up the graphic novels more, especially if said comic book series is involved in a story arc. However, I do collect single issues for comic books like "Looney Tunes" that's not involved in a story arc.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If say I was a comic book writer and I was given carte blanche to do whatever format book I wanted, I'd make graphic novels. Maybe have a ongoing series with one book released each year (kind of like how Jim Butcher does the Dresden Files novels) and a few stand alone stories spattered in.

I find monthly ongoings problematic. Due to the restrictions of trades, most arcs need to fit into around 6 issues; this sometimes causes stories to be stretched out or compressed to fit the trade. A graphic novel allows the writer to tell their story in as much or as little pages as they want.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue to issue. A major reason that I never see mentioned is for those huge panels that stretch across both pages. Looks really good in issues since they are so thin but they look a lot worse in trades.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I prefer graphic novels or trades, you get to fully understand the story and the arc and come with DVD-like extras at the back sometimes.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

trades and graphic novels no doubt.