#1 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember back when the GCPD was a lot more prominent in Batman comics? Not only did you see characters like Harvey Bullock, Renee Montoya, Crispus Allen, etc. doing detective work, but they even had their own title: Gotham Central. I really liked this dynamic in the Batman titles, because of the variety and the fact that they made this characters likable and useful.

But why isn't it around anymore? Well, I think the movies played a big role in this. After the fiasco that was Batman and Robin, Batman's popularity was greatly affected. He was still DC's most popular character, but in a time where comic books barely sold and everybody thought superheroes were lame that didn't really matter. So, DC had for search another focus of popularity. The Bat-Family wasn't reason enough for people to buy Batman comics. So, they decided to flesh out more characters from the Batman universe, people who fought crime but didn't wear spandex: The GCPD. After all, the main focus of popularity of the GCPD was around the late 90's and early 2000's, after Batman and Robin and before Batman Begins, a movie that made Batman a popular character once again. The GCPD wasn't necessary anymore.

Which is a real shame, because I really miss this kind of diversity in current Batman comics. What's Batman about? Batman fights bad guys. What's Detective Comics about? Batman fights bad guys. What's Batman and Robin about? Batman and Robin fight bad guys. What's Batman: The Dark Knight about? Batman fights bad guys. So much for variety.

So, what do you say? Do you miss the GCPD taking a bigger role in Batman comics? Or do you like the current dynamic?

#2 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#3 Posted by GuruOfFunk (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind them stepping up their page time. I REALLY liked Gotham Central though and would actually love something like that to come out again.

#4 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with this, though they would have to create new detectives to take those roles, as Crispus Allen and Renyee Montoya have moved on from Gotham, at lest Pre-DCnU.

#5 Posted by Karcossa (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see Detective comics focus more on the GCPD; telling stories from their point of view and showing us how Batman is percieved by the GCPD. Not completely ignoring the Bat, but shifting he focus a wee bit.

#6 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower: I'd like to see Crispus Allen back. After Allen became Spectre, he practically dissapeared from comics, since most writers wrote him as a Spectre without any kind of personality. I hope Renee comes back too, although I'm not sure if I want to see her back as Question.

#7 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@Karcossa said:

I'd love to see Detective comics focus more on the GCPD; telling stories from their point of view and showing us how Batman is percieved by the GCPD. Not completely ignoring the Bat, but shifting he focus a wee bit.

Yeah, basically the approach that Rucka took with his Punisher run, which was clearly inspired by what he did on Gotham Central with Brubaker. My only concern with this book is that for those that did follow that book it may feel like a hollow retread of Central