#1 Posted by IamGog (296 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Lvenger (19256 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure there's a thread for this already and this belongs in the Superman forum if I'm honest.

#3 Posted by TheCannon (18296 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I do. It's superior in every way to the original.

#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

I'm sure there's a thread for this already and this belongs in the Superman forum if I'm honest.

Correct on both accounts.

But yes, I do like the costume. Collar's a tough high, but BFD.

#5 Posted by Lvenger (19256 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

Wait you like something about the New 52 (gasps of horror echo around the audience)

But yeah I agree. It's slicker and comes with less underpants that are present for some unexplained reason on the previous costume. Collar is too high but having indestructible armour makes more sense for Superman.

#6 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

Wait you like something about the New 52 (gasps of horror echo around the audience)

But yeah I agree. It's slicker and comes with less underpants that are present for some unexplained reason on the previous costume. Collar is too high but having indestructible armour makes more sense for Superman.

Agreed on all counts.

If you actually go back and look at my posts around the time of the announcement (I don't advise you do, it'd take forever and it's honestly not worth it), I was extremely excited for the New 52. Just as soon as I read that first issue of JL I knew what was coming, and I was unfortunately correct.

#7 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

I do, even if I miss the red underpants ( lol )

#8 Posted by Lvenger (19256 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

Agreed on all counts.

If you actually go back and look at my posts around the time of the announcement (I don't advise you do, it'd take forever and it's honestly not worth it), I was extremely excited for the New 52. Just as soon as I read that first issue of JL I knew what was coming, and I was unfortunately correct.

Really? I was nearly as sceptical as you are now when the reboot was announced. Now I'm on the fence about it. There's good and bad things about it but DC need to sort their universe out if they want to keep sales and interest up.

#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

Agreed on all counts.

Really? I was nearly as sceptical as you are now when the reboot was announced. Now I'm on the fence about it. There's good and bad things about it but DC need to sort their universe out if they want to keep sales and interest up.

Yeah, I was thinking they'd approach it like a revamp. Maybe update a few origins, change the costumes, and give characters with messy histories (like Hawkman) a more streamlined canon. Unfortunately, we got the Marvelisation of DC.

I know this will sound tremendously arrogant, and feel free to roll your eyes, but I just know that I could have done the reboot so much better.

Superman didn't need to be OMD'd. Wonder Woman needed a reboot, but she was primed for one anyway as of that story JMS was writing. Vertigo characters like Constantine and Swamp Thing had already started showing up in Brightest Day, so just go with that. Aquaman's reboot was a mulligan, since Johns obviously didn't like he what he'd done with him in after Blackest Night.

They wanted to get rid of Wally West as Flash and that's fine, then give him a Blue Lantern Ring and send him into space to star in a Blue Lanterns title. Things like Animal Man were fine to exist as they were, they weren't intruding on any old continuity. The Justice League just had to add Cyborg to the roster. How hard is that? "Hey, Cyborg, you're too old to be a Teen Titan, come join the Justice League". Done.

But they instead went the route of just turning DC properties into poor Marvel substitutes.

#10 Posted by SmashBrawler (5624 posts) - - Show Bio

The collar is unnecessary, there's way too much lines and a distinctive lack of yellow, but those things aside, I like it.

How good it looks depends on the artist, though.

#11 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5015 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Jim Lee is a great artist but he tends to overdo certain things. The lines on all of their costumes are stupid. Don't like the collar either. He gave them all that armored look which to me doesn't make sense for Superman.

#12 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I...tolerate it. While the classic Superman-with-red-trunks look will always be the iconic Supes for me, I'm not overtly bothered by the nu-52 look.

It took a while to get used to it, but I can live with it now. It's clearly Superman, but with a more streamlined appearance, and while I can do without all the unnecessary piping, it still looks very Man of Steel. I prefer Reis' more natural cloth look to the metallic armor look that Jim Lee gives, though.

Really, it's more Nu-52 Superman's personality than his costume that I have issues with...

#13 Posted by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#14 Edited by The_Tree (7280 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty good. I still prefer the trunks look, though, it's a classic.

#15 Posted by Lvenger (19256 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

Agreed on all counts.

Yeah, I was thinking they'd approach it like a revamp. Maybe update a few origins, change the costumes, and give characters with messy histories (like Hawkman) a more streamlined canon. Unfortunately, we got the Marvelisation of DC.

I know this will sound tremendously arrogant, and feel free to roll your eyes, but I just know that I could have done the reboot so much better.

Superman didn't need to be OMD'd. Wonder Woman needed a reboot, but she was primed for one anyway as of that story JMS was writing. Vertigo characters like Constantine and Swamp Thing had already started showing up in Brightest Day, so just go with that. Aquaman's reboot was a mulligan, since Johns obviously didn't like he what he'd done with him in after Blackest Night.

They wanted to get rid of Wally West as Flash and that's fine, then give him a Blue Lantern Ring and send him into space to star in a Blue Lanterns title. Things like Animal Man were fine to exist as they were, they weren't intruding on any old continuity. The Justice League just had to add Cyborg to the roster. How hard is that? "Hey, Cyborg, you're too old to be a Teen Titan, come join the Justice League". Done.

But they instead went the route of just turning DC properties into poor Marvel substitutes.

Hmm good points though I swear you've mentioned them before. Totally agree on Cyborg and the wrecking of Teen Titans history. If they had to have him as an original member I would have preferred that he turn down League membership, seclude himself until meeting kindred spirits in the New Teen Titans, have some Wolfman adventures and then join the League.

#16 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#17 Posted by MrDirector786 (43511 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the costume.

#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

How good it looks depends on the artist, though.

This. Very much so.

I don't not like it, but I wouldn't hate it if they changed it again. My Superman will always have the trunks.

#19 Posted by kennybaese (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the costume. I'd prefer the belt to be yellow, but overall I think it's fine.

I actually like the collar more than the huge neck opening the suit had before.

#20 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

#21 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

I originally was very resistant, but it's grown on me. I do like that it's more realistic (it can hide IN his body via nano-technology). To me though, it's not just old suit vs new suit, it's the suit AND the character. The new suit is more realistic, and the new Superman is more realistic in that he's more of a jerk. Old Superman's suit maybe was a bit dated, but it was made by his mom & in a way that's an old-time ideal/theme, and that fits his personality. If they hadn't altered his personality so much in the new 52, I might be even more warm to it, but now he's like a different character -- still good, but not as good to me as the previous version.

#22 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (523 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the worst thing to happen to the comics industry since Fredric Wertham published Seduction of the Innocent. That's not hyperbole.

The jeans and t-shirt look from Action Comics, on the other hand, is the best costume Superman's ever worn. So not everything in the New 52 is utterly awful.

#23 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20146 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it but its nothing special.

#24 Posted by TDK_1997 (14684 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#25 Posted by toptom (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

I originally was very resistant, but it's grown on me. I do like that it's more realistic (it can hide IN his body via nano-technology). To me though, it's not just old suit vs new suit, it's the suit AND the character. The new suit is more realistic, and the new Superman is more realistic in that he's more of a jerk. Old Superman's suit maybe was a bit dated, but it was made by his mom & in a way that's an old-time ideal/theme, and that fits his personality. If they hadn't altered his personality so much in the new 52, I might be even more warm to it, but now he's like a different character -- still good, but not as good to me as the previous version.

this,without a doubt.

#26 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both but the new one is better I think.

#27 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer it to the old one.

#28 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (4305 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it's pretty cool. like the upgrade and modernization of it. took a bit to grow on me, but really diggin it now.

i really like this version though........

#29 Posted by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger said:

Agreed on all counts.

wow I can't believe we're actually in agreement over something....I honestly agree with all of these points....the New 52 was completely mishandled ... the only good new DC books out right now could have been easily done without the reboot (Swamp Thing and and Animal Man)...Wonder Woman could have been rebooted easily at the end of JMS's run and Snyder's Batman would have easily been done prior to the reboot as well....imo those are the only 4 books in the reboot that have been handled well from the 1st issue on....the rest of DC's characters were just butchered beyond recognition and I blame it on new comers who were to lazy to hop on the internet and do some research and instead b!tched and moaned that there was to much continuity and it was to hard for their fragile minds to comprehend...so now we're stuck with the New 52 whose continuity is even more convoluted than the previous timeline's

on topic: no, I don't like the new costume...I would have been fine with them removing the trunks but the armored look is just to busy and like others have said it's not just the costume that sucks it's Superman's new personality that makes him bad

#30 Posted by 18hunt (2903 posts) - - Show Bio

Hew yeah

#31 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7704 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

#32 Posted by dondave (36408 posts) - - Show Bio

I loathed his previous costume and I'm happy with the changes they made

#33 Posted by toptom (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

however red underpants still comes back sometimes....just look at this:

#34 Posted by age_of_ultron_Prime2000 (1217 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks cool

#35 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing that is a improvement on this new Superman is the costume. Everything else stunk as far as I'm concerned(at least from what I've seen in Action comics)...

#36 Posted by baron2011 (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

@TheCannon said: