Do you have a new comic book / comic book day routine?

RaFonaRaFona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RaFonaRaFona

Is there something you do everytime you buy a new comic? Any special routines you go through or do you just dive right in? I'm curious as to how different people approach this hobby (obsession.) For example...every Wednesday, which has been my scheduled day off for the last year and a half, I get up early, put on my favorite comic shirt and give myself enough time that I can be ready and out the door by 9:50 a.m.. The "local" comic shop I go to is forty-five minutes away and I've missed out on a variant cover once by getting there late, so now I'm sitting in my car until just before they open at 11:00. I am always one of the first customers! Haven't missed anything since, thank you very much. I pick up the books on my pull-list, then head over to the new release wall. Most weeks there isn't anything I didn't already plan on, but you never know. After about 10 minutes, the guy running the place finishes putting the variants up on the wall. At this point, I usually check off the comics in my hand with the comics I have listed on my phone (I love the paperless app!), then add the prices all up to be sure I'm not going to be surprised at the register. What, usually, happens next has become such a part of every Wednesday, that if it doesn't happen I find myself disappointed. Most weeks, like clock-work, the "regulars" come in to get their new books for the week and then they proceed to b!+c# and complain about how the comic industry is ran by morons and how much this comic or that comic "sucks." I have never seen a bigger group of elitists in my life. I have had to bite my tongue so many times, I'm surprised I can still talk. As angry as they make me. . .I love it! I always get the biggest kick out of the fact that this select few come in, week after week, to a place that puts out things they abhor and complain about the same item that in twenty minutes they are going to walk to the counter and buy. After the festivities are over, I pay my dealer and I'm off. When I get in the car, I open each comic I bought and scan the first page. I don't read anything, I just check out the art. Another forty-five minutes on the road and I'm home. I resist the urge to run right in and read, cover to cover, everything I just purchased. Instead I take my dogs out, fix my lunch, and watch a little streaming Netflix while I eat. After that I will pull the comics out of the bag and put them in the order in which I will read them. I always save the best for last. It's usually a coin toss as to what I will do next. Some weeks I will pull the top comic of the stack and start reading. More likely I will sign on-line, come to Comicvine and see if any of the comics I just bought have been reviewed. Again, I don't read the reviews. I just check out the rating. When do I actually read the comics I bought, you ask? I usually, dependent on how many I bought, try to make them last until the week end. I know that is a long time to wait, but after spending nearly two hours in the car to get my precious treasure, I want to make it last. After all. . .Wednesday is always so far away.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By the_tree

I usually buy my comics on Wednesday, then wait until the weekend when I have some free time to read them.

I also put my comics in order, usually from best to worst to best.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By blindisaac

I go on Wednesday when I don't class or am on break from school like I am right now. Otherwise I go Friday afternoon/Saturday morning. I will go into the store and peruse the shelves to see anything that interest along with picking up what I plan to buy. When I have some extra dough to blow I might buy a TPB or 2 . Now that I have a pull box at the store I go to, I can just peruse to see if anything catches my eye or if I am wanting to jump onto something like I did this week with Justice League Dark and American Vampire. I also look at the statues and action figures that my store carries. The store owners like to talk so I generally will chat with them before I leave. Depending on if I am at school or not its anywhere from a 5 min drive to my dorm or a 30 min drive back home. I have no real order to my reading unless I pick up more than one issue of a series. Depending on how many issues I get depends on the pace I read them at. For example, yesterday I picked up 15 issues (might be 17 cant exactly remember) and I do not know if I can make it to my shop at all next week, I am only going to read 3 or 4 issues a day.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4  Edited By RedOwl_1

@The_Tree said:

I usually buy my comics on Wednesday, then wait until the weekend when I have some free time to read them.

I also put my comics in order, usually from best to worst to best.

I do the same but when there's comics that I can't resist to read, I do it the same day or the next day

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By _jackbauer

I only by a handful of books per month, usually on Wednesday. I'm in no rush to read them once I own them though, I usually wait for some down time or a rainy day to go through them.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By BatteredArmor

My routine is go bi monthly on Wednesdays forget something at the store have to go back and pick it up curse constantly on the way home about price, then divide up the books so I can read some each day until running out

davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By davelecave

I like to smell them once I crack them open.

Come on, it's not weird. I know I'm not the only one that does this....

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Larkin1388

I usually drive to my local Hastings (since there isn't a legit comic book shop in my town that's not 50 miles away), around 2 pm and wait for one of the usual associates to come to the counter. Usually I'm there just right before they open the box. I wait next to them and hold various conversations about comic books, movies, music, etc, and as they sift through the stacks of books they hand off the ones in my pull list strait to me. I like this. This way I know the comic book I'm getting will be in good condition. I then finish up the conversation and browse the store for new books, movies, or novelties, weighing my financial options the whole way. After my round trip through the store I make my way to the counter and have a jokingly sarcastic rapport with the cashier (I used to work there so everybody knows me). I know it's not an actual comic book store, but I like the routine I've fallen into. And if for some reason I relocate to another store, I hope I can have the same experience there.

RaFonaRaFona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RaFonaRaFona

@davelecave said:

I like to smell them once I crack them open.

Come on, it's not weird. I know I'm not the only one that does this....

I'll admit it...I do it. I love going to my mom's a pulling out the boxes of my old comics, I still keep there, and that is the first thing I do.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i usually wake up in the morning feelin' like P.Diddy, i grab my glasses, and hit the door, my green lantern shirt with me, before i leave i brush my teeth and snag a baseball cap, because when i leave for the comic store, i won't be comin' back

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Superguy0009e

Usually, i wait until the majority of my orders are in, and either on a weekend or late in the weekday, I go in and get my books. I head home and skim through all of them, the actually read them. Then I cover them up, and then during the next few days, read the issue before the new issue, then then the new issue until I reread all my new books.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By ReVamp

@The Stegman said:

i usually wake up in the morning feelin' like P.Diddy, i grab my glasses, and hit the door, my green lantern shirt with me, before i leave i brush my teeth and snag a baseball cap, because when i leave for the comic store, i won't be comin' back

Win.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Superguy0009e

@The Stegman: this just in, a young man was found dead behind an old comic store, wearing a green lantern shirt and baseball cap with glasses. More on this in a moment

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Superguy0009e

@The Stegman : this just in, a young man was found dead behind an old comic store, wearing a green lantern shirt and baseball cap with glasses. More on this in a moment

win