• 105 results
#51 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18599 posts) - - Show Bio

He is far from my favorite character,but I hold no hate for him.

#52 Edited by BlackWind (7033 posts) - - Show Bio

#53 Posted by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

@gungunw said:

@thundergodswrath said:

@strider92 said:

I don't like the concept but I can respect the fact that he's made such a big cultural impact but I wouldn't personally read any of his comics as the concept doesn't interest me.

I agree. One thing I hate about Superman, and this is one reason I don't read his comics. I only read Justice League and such. Every time there is a villain it is always stated "Only Superman can face him" No one can do it but Superman" I hate that crap, because there are many superheroes in DC as powerful as Superman are fully capable of accomplishing it too.

It's because he's Superman. Take the story line of Superman vs. the Elite for example, they wanted to face off against Superman because he was Superman. He's the first, he's the best. Superman even stated he was going to face them alone because they didn't challenge the JLA... they challenged him. Besides, like every hero does that in their own solo series... don't just blame Superman for it.

I'm not talking about solo series.

#54 Posted by Regal_Rumble_Man (874 posts) - - Show Bio

He's far from the first

Mandrake the Magician and The Phantom would like to have a word with you

He's what heroes ought to be

happy

#55 Edited by comicace3 (6354 posts) - - Show Bio

I seems to tolorate him now. But he needs to be crippled once in a while ( like the way bane broke batman's back)... make him seem not god-like once in a while. But yeah I don't hate him.

#56 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

@quirky_anecdotes: Your comparison to the doctor falls a little flat. Superman acts like a human because he was raised as one. The doctor was born and raised on gallifrey, thats why he's so different. Superman's rogues gallery is a lot bigger than luthor, they're Bizzaro, Braniac, general zod, Imperiex (similar to the daleks), livewire, lobo, metallo, darkseid, not to mention doomsday. The writers just need to utilize them better.

To answer the OP, yeah, I like superman. I think he's alright, he takes a lot of crap, but I think he's alright.

#57 Posted by SSJLozza (1528 posts) - - Show Bio

How can you hate a fictional character unless you mean dislike.

@ssjlozza said:

He's ok, it just annoys me when people make out that he's Z fighter level.

I know right, hes beyond their level.

Nope, Krillin, Yamcha and Tien perhaps, but the Saiyans? No way.

#58 Posted by lightsout (1831 posts) - - Show Bio

Long as we're on the topic: :) That's another thing I don't get. "I hate him because of: (Insert "too powerful, too good, power set, generic character"...whatever.) Like he's the ONLY character one can say that about. You can say that about 90% of them. If I'd started a "Do you hate Iron Man" thread, and people chimed in, we could come up with all sorts of things to hate about Tony Stark. Yet, I don't see any "Do you hate Iron Man" threads. (FWIW..I don't hate him, just an example.) Yet, every so often, a Superman hate thread is started. But I guess it's like sports. When I started following the NFL, no one hated the New England Patriots. They weren't worth hating. Enter Brady and Belechik, a few Super Bowl wins, consistent winning, and now lots of people hate them. I guess Superman should take it as a compliment. They only hate you if you're on top.

good comparison, but I stand by my NE hate :p

#59 Posted by Esquire (3833 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread makes me sad. Every single complaint could be resolved by actually reading Superman comics. He's not my favorite character, but there's a reason he's iconic.

#60 Posted by lightsout (1831 posts) - - Show Bio

READ THROUGH THIS FOLKS

http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/why-do-people-like-superman-752108/#84

#61 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26

How can you call Superman generic when he is the first true super-hero. That's like calling Lord of the Rings generic when it is everything but and everything written in fantasy since has been in some way derivative of it. He was the first so he is in no way generic he is the beginning of the archetype.

DAMN F*#$ing straight.

I can understand a person not liking to read Superman comics because most writers do not handle him well finding the balance between Clark and Superman. And to be honest I think people like him less these days on account of not being able to identify with someone of such high morale values since most super-heroes these days have to have huge issues and character flaws. Even the characters that aren't overpowered have huge flaws. Tony Stark is a recovering alcoholic, egocentric douche and Batman is a paranoid, emotionally handicapped control freak.

EXACTLY. i love Batman but we all know he's a little f%^ed up.

#62 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13599 posts) - - Show Bio

He's far from the first

Mandrake the Magician and The Phantom would like to have a word with you

He's what heroes ought to be

happy

right. Clark is the definitive super-hero. Mandrake is a no-name.

#63 Edited by Regal_Rumble_Man (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: who predate boy blue by three years, and siegel/shuster ripped phillip wylie's Gladiator

#64 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13599 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: who predate boy blue by three years,

i said you were right. why are you pushing this

and siegel/shuster ripped phillip wylie's Gladiator

this is only an assumption with no actual proof.

#65 Posted by Regal_Rumble_Man (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: sued them sons o b!tches

back then superman is strong because of lawyers and the 'man of steel' thing wasn't originally his

I push because you are in denial and seem bent on glorifying him

I love the blue boy mythos and my fave incarnation is Diniverse

#66 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13599 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: sued them sons o b!tches

back then superman is strong because of lawyers

i have no idea what this means.

and the 'man of steel' thing wasn't originally his

right. it was in reference to Stalin originally.

I push because you are in denial and seem bent on glorifying him

how am i in denial if i said you were right? that makes absolutely no sense

I love the blue boy mythos and my fave incarnation is Diniverse

#67 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13599 posts) - - Show Bio

suing someone doesnt make something true. there are clearly enough differences between the characters. Superman is a hero whereas he gladiator was just some random dude with powers. Superman is an alien and Gladiator is a mutate.

#68 Edited by Regal_Rumble_Man (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: Not stalin, it belonged to Steel Sterling before the lawyers ripped that out of court and added that to superman. He beat competition not in sales, but in the courtrooms. Shuster and Siegel got inspiration from Wylie, they got the mold from there.

#69 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehrmagerd! Shepermern threerd!

#70 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13599 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: Not stalin, it belonged to Steel Sterling before the lawyers ripped that out of court and added that to superman. He beat competition not in sales, but in the courtrooms.

how could they simpy just take the name? that doesnt make sense.....

Shuster and Siegel got inspiration from Wylie, they got the mold from there.

big difference from ripping off. no idea is completely original. its how they're applied. Superman was the first to apply these themes to the superhero genre (as i stated earlier, Gladiator was not a superhero, but a neural character simply trying and failing to find his palce). Mandrake and Phantom (despite pre-dating Superman as superheroes, neither didnt applied these themes. which is why they may be original but they certainly are not definitive).

#71 Edited by StudentOfJorEl (121 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to but not anymore. Man Of Steel (Directed By Zack Snyder) and Superman Earth One (Comic book) made him more relatable. I can tell he's overpowered but he isn't as overpowered as Silver Surfer nor Martian Manhunter. But the Bench Press Earth for 5 days straight is quite overpowered which I don't mind and planet shaking punch is beyond that. I'm a fan now but in some ways, he has a limit and those limits would take years to reach.

#72 Posted by kcjr (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@etragedy: i agree with this post. I stopped reading Superman comics 20 years ago because I didn't really enjoy them as much as others, maybe the comics became great during that time, I just never gave it another shot. However, I respect Superman as the origin of superhero comics.

#73 Posted by HeckTate (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate Superman, but I generally don't find him an interesting character to read about because of most of the things mentioned here. He is overpowered, and his kryptonite weakness is often overplayed. Beyond that, regular Earth Prime Superman really doesn't have any moral dilemmas, he stands for truth, justice, and the American way, and part of that seems to be a flawless sense of right and wrong.

The Superman stories I like are the alternate Earth/parallel universe versions, where Superman's otherwise flawless sense of justice is corrupted or his God-like powers are less emphasized. I also like Morrison's All Star Superman, because it actually humanizes a character who is normally above and beyond humans on every level.

#74 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his mid-fight banter. It's always de-railing for the bad guy and doesn't get out of hand.

#75 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@hecktate said:

I don't hate Superman, but I generally don't find him an interesting character to read about because of most of the things mentioned here. He is overpowered, and his kryptonite weakness is often overplayed. Beyond that, regular Earth Prime Superman really doesn't have any moral dilemmas, he stands for truth, justice, and the American way, and part of that seems to be a flawless sense of right and wrong.

The Superman stories I like are the alternate Earth/parallel universe versions, where Superman's otherwise flawless sense of justice is corrupted or his God-like powers are less emphasized. I also like Morrison's All Star Superman, because it actually humanizes a character who is normally above and beyond humans on every level.

So you read through this entire thread but still insist that Superman is OP?

#76 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkagekiller said:

I just don't like him. I think he is dull,boring,overpowered, and overrated.

Yes, in almost every way. He has an uninteresting personality and origin, his powers are generic, his costume is generic. I wish Doomsday had killed him permanently. I will say this...GREAT villains.

YOU'RE DEAD TO ME! .....................again...................lol XD

#77 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is not overpowered. He has to be far above the usual threats he faces to be overpowered. He is not, his power range is the power range required for the threats he faces. Stop comparing him to characters who deal with much smaller threats please.

#78 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is not overpowered. He has to be far above the usual threats he faces to be overpowered. He is not, his power range is the power range required for the threats he faces. Stop comparing him to characters who deal with much smaller threats please.

Thank you! I also like how people constantly use the "The kryptonite is his only weakness and it's what all his villains use!". Nope

#79 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite said:

Thank you! I also like how people constantly use the "The kryptonite is his only weakness and it's what all his villains use!". Nope

He's got like 2 villains who rely most on K Metal and one of them is a giant gorilla who most people probably don't even know about.

It's pretty absurd to think Superman stories should revolve around kryptonite.

#80 Posted by mikex20 (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that I hate Superman, I just don't like 90% of the stories he's involved with in his solo titles. I'm also not a fan of his live action films, but some of his animated ones are enjoyable.

#81 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like some of the people on this thread don't understand comic book history. How can you call his power set generic when he was the first superhero. I don't understand why people bring up unknown characters like mandrake or the gladiator, because they are not superheroes. The Term SUPERhero comes from SUPERman. Many of the things that define the modern superhero started with superman. So saying Superman has a generic power set shows complete ignorance of the history of superheroes.

hate threads are pretty immature by the way.

#82 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#83 Posted by HeckTate (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: I'll admit I didn't comb through every post here, but my opinion of Superman is that he is generally overpowered. He simply has too much going on: super strength, invulnerability, heat vision, x ray vision, enhanced senses,(which he uses for everything from hearing something halfway around the world to lie-detecting ability) he can freeze stuff by blowing a strong gust of wind, (which doesn't really make sense since the force that would be required to do that would certainly be enough to just blow most things away, but I'll allow it since I suspend disbelief every time I open a comic) super speed, flight, healing factor, and he's essentially a solar battery but only in the light of Earth's "yellow" sun. He has almost as many inherent abilities as Batman has gadgets. (this is a hyperbole, do not flame me about the number of gadgets Batman has access to)

My main problem with Superman is, like I said, is that I just don't find him an interesting character to read about most of the time. To me a good comic should contain more than just physical conflict against the bad guys, there should be some degree of emotional/psychological conflict as well, and I feel that the majority of Superman stories do not include this, except for the constant half-a$$ed "Gee I wonder if I can continue slipping out of the office to be Superman without Lois realizing what's going on." Or "Shucks, Lois will never fall for mild-mannered Clark Kent, but I can't risk her finding out I'm really Superman."

Plus, if you really want to compound this issue, the whole throw on a pair of glasses and a suit to make Clark Kent indistinguishable from Superman is ridiculous. I don't care how meek he attempts to make himself look as Clark, they look exactly the same, I'm not buying it that this works as a disguise for more than a week. I mean, he does work with supposedly the best investigative reporter in the DC universe. (Going by New 52 stories, I know she learns the truth in previous stories)

But, like I said, I don't hate Superman. I just don't find him to be an interesting character.

#84 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@hecktate said:

@peppeyhare:

I'll admit I didn't comb through every post here, but my opinion of Superman is that he is generally overpowered. He simply has too much going on: super strength, invulnerability, heat vision, x ray vision, enhanced senses,(which he uses for everything from hearing something halfway around the world to lie-detecting ability) he can freeze stuff by blowing a strong gust of wind, (which doesn't really make sense since the force that would be required to do that would certainly be enough to just blow most things away, but I'll allow it since I suspend disbelief every time I open a comic) super speed, flight, healing factor, and he's essentially a solar battery but only in the light of Earth's "yellow" sun. He has almost as many inherent abilities as Batman has gadgets. (this is a hyperbole, do not flame me about the number of gadgets Batman has access to)

My main problem with Superman is, like I said, is that I just don't find him an interesting character to read about most of the time. To me a good comic should contain more than just physical conflict against the bad guys, there should be some degree of emotional/psychological conflict as well, and I feel that the majority of Superman stories do not include this, except for the constant half-a$$ed "Gee I wonder if I can continue slipping out of the office to be Superman without Lois realizing what's going on." Or "Shucks, Lois will never fall for mild-mannered Clark Kent, but I can't risk her finding out I'm really Superman."

Plus, if you really want to compound this issue, the whole throw on a pair of glasses and a suit to make Clark Kent indistinguishable from Superman is ridiculous. I don't care how meek he attempts to make himself look as Clark, they look exactly the same, I'm not buying it that this works as a disguise for more than a week. I mean, he does work with supposedly the best investigative reporter in the DC universe. (Going by New 52 stories, I know she learns the truth in previous stories)

But, like I said, I don't hate Superman. I just don't find him to be an interesting character.

The interesting part about Superman is not his powers. What makes him such a great character is how he's forced to deal with his strength. Knowing that he is often the only hope thousands of people have and the fact that he has to do every single activity in his life holding back immensely. Could you imagine knowing that if you slip up while hugging somebody that you could easily break every bone in their body? Also the idea that Superman is an alien yet represents the best of humanity is what makes him so inspirational to me. I get why some people dislike him but to me Superman is such a better character than people give him credit for

#85 Posted by HeckTate (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

But the thing is, him slipping up and crushing someone in a hug is never really a dilemma for Superman. You don't see him shy away from human contact because he's afraid of that, he shies away because he's afraid of being discovered. The only time that really factors in is when something happens to make his powers haywire, otherwise he has full control at all times.

#86 Edited by JulieDC (1048 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure I want to know what the ideal superhero is for someone who can inappropriately call Superman boring, and overpowered.

#87 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I'm indifferent. I don't hate him but I don't like him.

#88 Posted by LimpoyzLoan (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssjlozza: ... Because he is? Superman wins against Goku. Get over it.

Though Goku would put up a HELL of a fight.

#89 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Because I think he's awesome. :D

#90 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

(Why and how in the HELL did Dragon Ball Z get mixed up in this? Stop it.)

#91 Posted by The_Absolute (892 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. I do not hate Superman. For a time, in the 90s I did because he was treated like DC's punching bag. He wasn't written honestly in those days. With his power set and high moral compass, his stories should have been much more entertaining. Nowadays, I'm a Superman fan, through and through.

He's far from overpowered - he can't read minds, travel through time at will, shapeshift, he doesn't have telekinesis, can't turn invisible, etc. His powers are pretty basic - he just happens to be very strong and fast.

#92 Edited by Enzeru--defunct (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually don't mind Superman, but there is also nothing really interesting about the character for me.

I would like him, if they would write and portray him differently: "Superman - Peace on Earth" comes to mind. That is the best Superman comic ever, because it portrays the character the way someone like him should be portrayed.
On top of that they would need to show what saving the world on a daily basis and facing its problems does to you as a "human".

#93 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike him because he's very overrated and overpowered. Even though Jim Lee draws it, I can't enjoy Superman Unchained. It's something with the characters that is very unappealing to me.

#94 Posted by Deadgod (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

Never cared abt him few years ago till i read his best comics like Birthright , All Star etc that made me appreciate him a lot since then he became my favorite character , on that note OP says he has been written right b4 in All Star , Superman : Brainiac but no one gave a crap abt it , same thing i once read abt Superman Vs Batman on a cracked article where mention all his best comics like Red Son , For the Man who has everything , All Star , Birthright etc but they say all these require you to care abt Supes in the first place & he's still boring & overpowered character so that brings me to one question over how come you not like a character or even slightly change ur negative view after reading some of his best comics which are also considered to be one of best works in comic books ?? for example its like saying i loved Year One great comic but i still hate Batman or i loved Spider Man No More but still don't like Spiderman lol o_O

#96 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

Long as we're on the topic: :) That's another thing I don't get. "I hate him because of: (Insert "too powerful, too good, power set, generic character"...whatever.) Like he's the ONLY character one can say that about. You can say that about 90% of them. If I'd started a "Do you hate Iron Man" thread, and people chimed in, we could come up with all sorts of things to hate about Tony Stark. Yet, I don't see any "Do you hate Iron Man" threads. (FWIW..I don't hate him, just an example.) Yet, every so often, a Superman hate thread is started. But I guess it's like sports. When I started following the NFL, no one hated the New England Patriots. They weren't worth hating. Enter Brady and Belechik, a few Super Bowl wins, consistent winning, and now lots of people hate them. I guess Superman should take it as a compliment. They only hate you if you're on top.

i know it's old but at least d hate keeps on giving strength 2 his fans. Supes isn't bad just give him someone that understands him 4 his monthlies

#97 Posted by Bezza (3832 posts) - - Show Bio

This Thread proves what I've been saying recently, there are a lot of Superman haters on the vine. People tend to disrespect Hulk, or under-estimate Hulk and others get weary of Batman, but only Supes seems to attract this sort of outright hostility.

He isn't over-powered, any more than Hulk or Silver Surfer, or Thor are over-powered. I don't find him boring. Quite a few of my favourite graphic novels are Superman ones and I love the history behind the character. Each to their own, I guess.

#98 Posted by i_like_swords (16520 posts) - - Show Bio

Not gonna lie, I used to have an ignorant bias against Superman. Now I figure, I'd probably like him if I read him. He just isn't my type of Superhero anyway. I like street level anti-heroes - he's a planet-level boy scout.. just doesn't sit well with me.

#99 Edited by Gannicus8282 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate him but he does get a little played out and boring because of his stereotypical goodie goodie hero attitude on top of being unstoppable basically (unless you happen to have a shiny green rock from outter space in your pocket), but hey that's what makes him DC comic's #1 golden boy

#100 Posted by SOG7dc (7814 posts) - - Show Bio