• 123 results
DarkAgeKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DarkAgeKiller

I just don't like him. I think he is dull,boring,overpowered, and overrated.

No Caption Provided

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mcbean

No I use too but not anymore like most characters when written right they can be good.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I just don't like him. I think he is dull,boring,overpowered, and overrated.

No Caption Provided

Yes, in almost every way. He has an uninteresting personality and origin, his powers are generic, his costume is generic. I wish Doomsday had killed him permanently. I will say this...GREAT villains.

DarkAgeKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcbean: He has been written right before, Its just no one gave a crap about it. All star Superman,Superman for Tommorrow,Superman:Brainiac, the list goes on...

The reality is everyone hates him, and sick of him.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't stand him. Overpowered. WAAY overpowered. Overpowered in the dictionary should simply read, 'Superman'.

FiMFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I assume you hate Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman too, because they are "Overpowered"?

Avatar image for war_hulk_kills_sentry2
War_Hulk_Kills_Sentry2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hate how he has survived because technically a human could come up to him with some kryptonite and chop his head off because kryptonite is practically everywhere in dc

DarkAgeKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lorbo: There are other overpowered characters: it depends on how they are written. Like Hulk,Thor,Sentry, Man of Miracles,Spawn,etc..

I'm saying its Dc editors fault.

DarkAgeKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Its not only that.Superman,deadpool, and venom are overrated.They are basically same category. Writers put them on everything. The superman comics as a whole are descent. Spiderman has more bad comics then even superman. 89 issues of clone saga where bad comics.Not counting the others...

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Its not only that.Superman,deadpool, and venom are overrated.They are basically same category. Writers put them on everything. The superman comics as a whole are descent. Spiderman has more bad comics then even superman. 89 issues of clone saga where bad comics.Not counting the others...

Venom is far from overrated. Unlike Superman, he is a developing character and there's a reason why he's one of my faves.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much dumb in this thread.

Avatar image for beautifulrevery
beautifulrevery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say that I don't hate the character. I hate the way he's written. I enjoy a GOOD Superman story(All Star anyone?) but generally I can't stand the way he's written. Seriously let's make him bench press the earth's weight for 5 days even though this New 52 is supposed to be a reboot and rebuild the character so he isn't as overpowered as he was during the Silver Age and a lot of pre-52 DC comics. But I think they've gone ahead and made him MORE powerful than he was pre-52 and that's just ridiculous.

DarkAgeKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beautifulrevery: There are many versions of pre 52, and the silver age.Like alternate realities basically, I think Dc did it to so people can choose what superman they like. The new 52 superman comics have bad coloring, and its drawn worse the pre 52.

gbpack089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26

How can you call Superman generic when he is the first true super-hero. That's like calling Lord of the Rings generic when it is everything but and everything written in fantasy since has been in some way derivative of it. He was the first so he is in no way generic he is the beginning of the archetype. I can understand a person not liking to read Superman comics because most writers do not handle him well finding the balance between Clark and Superman. And to be honest I think people like him less these days on account of not being able to identify with someone of such high morale values since most super-heroes these days have to have huge issues and character flaws. Even the characters that aren't overpowered have huge flaws. Tony Stark is a recovering alcoholic, egocentric douche and Batman is a paranoid, emotionally handicapped control freak.

Avatar image for beautifulrevery
beautifulrevery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By beautifulrevery

@beautifulrevery: There are many versions of pre 52, and the silver age.Like alternate realities basically, I think Dc did it to so people can choose what superman they like. The new 52 superman comics have bad coloring, and its drawn worse the pre 52.

I realize that DC has mutliple realities(not as many as marvel I believe) but the mainstream continuity which is what is mainly focused on for all the mainstay DC characters has had poor writing for Supes in general and I simply can't get behind it.

Avatar image for king_anti_monitor
King_Anti_Monitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@gbpack089 said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26

How can you call Superman generic when he is the first true super-hero.

Mandrake the Magician is considered the FIRST super hero.Phantom was first masked super hero.

And Superman is basically based on Doc Savage (know as Man of Bronze) with powers of John Carter.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd say head over to the "Why do you like Superman?" thread in the Superman forum. Many good arguments/POVs. (And IMO, hate for Superman usually comes with not much experience reading his stories &/or understanding of anything beneath the surface of his powers & such).

FiMFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout said:

Hate for Superman usually comes with not much experience reading his stories &/or understanding of anything beneath the surface of his powers & such).

Total truth.

I also don't understand why people only channel their 'Overpowered' argument to Superman, I mean, you never see anyone complaining about how overpowered Wonder Woman is.

Or even with people MORE powerful than Supes, where are all the threads whining about how vastly OP Mr. Majestic or Genis-Vell are?

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Nope, I like him random hater # 1209

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Regal_Rumble_Man

So you want weak heroes?

please kindly go to marvel

k

thx

bai

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So, therefore you also hate:

Wonder Woman

Thor

Martian Manhunter

Green Lantern

Flash

Hulk

Sentry

Spawn

Hercules

Shazam/Cpt. Marvel

Silver Surfer

Doctor Strange

I just don't get why the "he's soo overpowered" hate only goes directly to Superman. I've heard the Marvel fanboys whine about Superman is lame because he's "overpowered" and then turn around and talk about how awesome they think Thor is, while traditionally Thor is just as "invincible" as Superman.

To answer the question, NO ABSOLUTELY NOT! I love Superman, always have and I always will. He's like Captain America in a way for me. He's good, moral, brave, strong and always does whats right. A real role model IMO, yeah he's had a vastly inconsistent power level. But that doesent change that he was the first comic book superhero and the one that started it all. He's just one of those guys where you just don't disrespect him, you just don't and you shouldn't.

Give the guy some respect, without him I'd bet none of the other heroes Marvel or DC would exist nowadays...

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Btw, Superman is hands down the greatest comic character ever invented. Followed closely by Spider-Man, after that Batman, Daredevil and Captain America make up the top 5. Give Superman the respect he deserves, quit bashing him.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By 2chimcha3

I used to hate him before I actually read comics. I started to really get into Thor and I realized that he was incredibly powerful to the point where he can be rather boring, but he never got stale. I began to think the same way about Superman. Sure he's ridiculously powerful, but I think of him as someone to look up to that deserves respect and can have his fair share of great stories.

ALFMutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ALFMutant

He's the sole protector of earth, without him the Justice League would lack a good leadership and a model of virtue. He could play God but he doesn't, because he knows where his place is. He believe in humanity, that's why he don't interferes with politics, he was born on another world but we adopted him and he is more than thankful with that.

He doesn't even hide behind a mask, would he need to? Clark do, because he can connects to people differently from Superman. Only people close to Clark could see his other face.

He's not overpowered, he's just not weak. He is vulnerable to hits, has a big weakness to Kryptonite, he fears to lose.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I like how he's "over-powered" but go to ANY "Superman vs." Battle thread, and folks will spend hours and hours, and days and days, and weeks and weeks telling us how he would get beat by: Hulk/Thor/MM/Flash/BATMAN/Silver Surfer/STORM/everyone.

Truth is, Superman is one of the most relatable heroes out there. I can relate to Clark Kent a heck of a lot more than Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark or Bruce Banner.

My main gripe is howcome his min/maxi series/graphic novels are so great (He is THE KING of that sub-set) but not his monthly titles? I think it because those series aren't afraid to make him an epic hero, which is what he is, and he should be treated that way in his monthly titles.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Malevolent1

Eh, I was a fan of Captain Marvel/Billy Batson when I was a kid. You can imagine how excited I was to read a huge giant crossover featuring a knockdown drag out between CM and Superman. One of the best fights, to this day, I have ever seen between two characters.

The result? Superman wins. Of course.

I was so disappointed, I stopped reading DC comics altogether and started reading the Marvel line of characters (although it wasn't long before I took the DC plunge again...). At any rate, I don't need to elaborate...Superman pretty much dominates anything he is in. Oh sure, he gets dumbed down in JLA. Thing is, the whole world knows who the character is. He was the first and the standard by which all others will be judged. And that's fine.

But I don't think DC comics, or fans of Superman, should expect the entire world to adopt their viewpoint. I've literally seen threads where the OP is like, "What's wrong with people? Why don't they get behind Superman? He's the greatest!" Has it ever occurred to these ones that not everyone shares their zeal for the character? I mean, there are some five thousand plus other characters out there. Chances are, some people might actually like Spider-Man more, or Wolverine, or...Captain Marvel.

I can't stomach a character that everyone feels the whole world should bow down to.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By lightsout

My main gripe is how come his min/maxi series/graphic novels are so great (He is THE KING of that sub-set) but not his monthly titles? I think it because those series aren't afraid to make him an epic hero, which is what he is, and he should be treated that way in his monthly titles.

I feel this way too (in the praise & the complaint). My guess would be it has something to do with what is so appealing about Superman. Some heroes - like Batman - can go issue to issue (or arc to arc), solving cases or dealing with a moderate level threat & move onto the next. Just to begin, Superman's high level of power seems makes it hard to have "moderate threat levels". He needs guys who are as much of heavy-weights as him and this lends better to self-contained stories (like a movie compared to a TV show).

But mainly, (and I think I mentioned this on the Superman forum once), it's because what makes Superman so awesome (IMO) is that "larger than life", "classic hero" aura he has about him. How things seem dire, but then Superman comes and you get taken to that place of wonderment & innocence, and you just know everything's going to be ok. This feeling is easiest captured when he makes his first ever appearance (or sometimes when he's old/dying/returning-after-choosing-to-leave), so that's why most of his best stories are different flavors of his origin story. While there are main-continuity Supes stories I've enjoyed, the best by far have been the self-contained ones (or the more recent retconed origins in the main continuity). Once & a while you get an epic quote by superman about all the values he represents, or someone focuses the story on them (like "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" aka Action Comics #775), but often they write run of the mill stories for him.

rolldestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think he's ok, i dont dislike him but neither do i like him very much.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find him boring.

I respect him as the comic industry’s most iconic character and the first superhero, but I could never get into his solo series.

Loved Red Son though.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

I don't like the concept but I can respect the fact that he's made such a big cultural impact but I wouldn't personally read any of his comics as the concept doesn't interest me.

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

Why would I hate Superman, I love comic books and superheroes and there wouldn't be any if it weren't for Superman, so of course I don't hate Superman. I wouldn't say he's my favorite character by any means - but hate - that would be silly.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By PowerHerc

No I don't hate Superman. He's the greatest superhero of all-time.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Superman is my second favorite hero, arguably the greatest hero of all time.

And I seriously don't get some of these posts some people are making about why they hate Superman.

Superman is overpowered? Jesus Christ, I guess you hate Martian Manhunter, Silver Surfer, Mr. Majestic, Doctor Strange, Doctor Fate, Doctor Doom, Flash, Thor, or anyone else who is at/above/around the level of Superman? Saying Superman is "overpowered" is simply misinformed.

Superman is boring? This is a common stereotype that people place on him, using based on the Silver Age. Sure, Superman may be the pinnacle of goodness and virtue, but to say his character is bland, or boring, is (in my opinion) wrong. Superman has his fears, and he has his desires. If you actually read his stories, there are plenty of good ones out there that display him with character. He's not just some 2D Mary Sue that he was when he was first created.

Superman is generic? Well, technically speaking, he's one of the first famous character placed with the powerset so.... But then again, so are Captain Marvel, Gladiator, Blue Marvel, and plenty of other heroes that share his exact same powerset. Go hate on them.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj62 said:

Btw, Superman is hands down the greatest comic character ever invented. Followed closely by Spider-Man, after that Batman, Daredevil and Captain America make up the top 5. Give Superman the respect he deserves, quit bashing him.

All the others are probably common top fivers, but Daredevil seems like an unusual choice. Why Daredevil?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38 the_stegman  Moderator

So much dumb in this thread.

This, and frankly I'm tired of being nice about it. This is the same bullsh*t excuses people use in the countless other "Why don't you like Superman" threads that have already been created. Blah blah blah, "he's overpowered" blah blah blah "Boy scout" blah blah blah, "I've never actually read a Superman comic, so I'm basing this purely one my ideal of him". It's ignorant and it's idiotic.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcbean: He has been written right before, Its just no one gave a crap about it. All star Superman,Superman for Tommorrow,Superman:Brainiac, the list goes on...

The reality is everyone hates him, and sick of him.

No, in fact a lot of people like and love him. the reality in fact is not everyone hate him. You can't speak on behalf of everyone in the world, you know. Especially when it comes to the world's most famous super hero.

What's your opinion on the Manhunter then? Since he's literally everything people hate about Superman times five.

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mcbean
Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh I don't like him, and I don't hate him. He's just there..

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By New_World_Order

I don't like the concept but I can respect the fact that he's made such a big cultural impact but I wouldn't personally read any of his comics as the concept doesn't interest me.

I agree. One thing I hate about Superman, and this is one reason I don't read his comics. I only read Justice League and such. Every time there is a villain it is always stated "Only Superman can face him" No one can do it but Superman" I hate that crap, because there are many superheroes in DC as powerful as Superman are fully capable of accomplishing it too.

SSJLozza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's ok, it just annoys me when people make out that he's Z fighter level.

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
TheVoiceOfReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can you hate a fictional character unless you mean dislike.

@ssjlozza said:

He's ok, it just annoys me when people make out that he's Z fighter level.

I know right, hes beyond their level.

Avatar image for quirky_anecdotes
quirky_anecdotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's an alien but he does't look or act like one.

It's one thing to be a humanoid but The Doctor acts like an alien.

He eats Fish Fingers and Pudding. He travels around in a police call box. What does superman do? Go to work at a newspaper and do battle with a really rich bald guy. That's another thing that I hate about Superman. His rogue gallery is awful.

The Doctor fights living statues and Judoon , Superman fights a bald rich guy.

He was cool for his time but he can't hang with other aliens lie The Yautja and The Xenomoprhs.

You know there's something wrong with your character design when you're an alien whose less visually impressive then.

No Caption Provided

t

I mean the worms in Men In black have more True Alien street cred then supes. He makes Mork look like the god damn Silence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791579148194
deactivated-5791579148194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate him, no

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love Superman, he is in my top 10 favorite characters and the reason I got intrested in comics.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Lulz, are you people serious when you complain about Superman's "generic powerset"? That powerset is generic because everyone rips off Superman for it. You can't claim the progenitor of the powerset is generic; that's not how it works. You should be complaining about characters like Gladiator, Hyperion and Apollo if you're really that upset about the generic powerset. Their powersets are all carbon copies of Superman's, which is why it's generic in the first place.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92 said:

I agree. One thing I hate about Superman, and this is one reason I don't read his comics. I only read Justice League and such. Every time there is a villain it is always stated "Only Superman can face him" No one can do it but Superman" I hate that crap, because there are many superheroes in DC as powerful as Superman are fully capable of accomplishing it too.

It's because he's Superman. Take the story line of Superman vs. the Elite for example, they wanted to face off against Superman because he was Superman. He's the first, he's the best. Superman even stated he was going to face them alone because they didn't challenge the JLA... they challenged him. Besides, like every hero does that in their own solo series... don't just blame Superman for it.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Long as we're on the topic: :) That's another thing I don't get. "I hate him because of: (Insert "too powerful, too good, power set, generic character"...whatever.) Like he's the ONLY character one can say that about. You can say that about 90% of them. If I'd started a "Do you hate Iron Man" thread, and people chimed in, we could come up with all sorts of things to hate about Tony Stark. Yet, I don't see any "Do you hate Iron Man" threads. (FWIW..I don't hate him, just an example.) Yet, every so often, a Superman hate thread is started. But I guess it's like sports. When I started following the NFL, no one hated the New England Patriots. They weren't worth hating. Enter Brady and Belechik, a few Super Bowl wins, consistent winning, and now lots of people hate them. I guess Superman should take it as a compliment. They only hate you if you're on top.