Do you hate change in comicbooks?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Squalleon

Well, pretty much the title says it all!

Do you hate when the status quo changes in Comic Books

ex. New 52,MARVEL NOW,Superior Spiderman

And if yes..........why?

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

Nope, unless it suxs

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By John Valentine

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a88eceab1a1a
deactivated-5a88eceab1a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sure, but the examples you provide aren't really the same thing. I hate "change for the sake of change" that is invalidating previous comics for the sake of selling new ones (New 52, Brand New Day) but a significant change that was built up through a proper story and actually makes sense is great and the entire point of comics (Superior Spider-Man). Who just wants the status quo to remain constant for decades? That's got to be so boring.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Change that occurs naturally and with clear reason is enjoyable.  

"Change" that does not occur organically is something that is to be frowned upon, avoided and demonised; because it is the worst kind of pandering and lazy writing.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

Depends on the change.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Magian

@Zaleos said:

Sure, but the examples you provide aren't really the same thing. I hate "change for the sake of change" that is invalidating previous comics for the sake of selling new ones (New 52, Brand New Day) but a significant change that was built up through a proper story and actually makes sense is great and the entire point of comics (Superior Spider-Man). Who just wants the status quo to remain constant for decades? That's got to be so boring.

@Dernman said:

Depends on the change.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Change that occurs naturally and with clear reason is enjoyable. "Change" that does not occur organically is something that is to be frowned upon, avoided and demonised; because it is the worst kind of pandering and lazy writing.

Pretty much what they said.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarkDay

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Change that occurs naturally and with clear reason is enjoyable. "Change" that does not occur organically is something that is to be frowned upon, avoided and demonised; because it is the worst kind of pandering and lazy writing.

This. Heck I can even let things slide in the service of a character getting a power upgrade, but change for the sake of change is silly.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By aaunderoath

The Comicbook industry is hilariously the largest example of "The Grass is always Greener" that I've ever experienced. Constantly we hear this:

"Dammit Age of Ultron has been teased forever now when is it finally going to happen! I can't wait!!!"

then it gets announced and you get

"UGH WHY!!! WHY SO MANY CROSSOVERS STOP THIS SUCKS I'M BOYCOTTING THIS! WHO'S WITH ME???"

and the same thing happens with change. One second you have rage posts over ::insert book name here:: is boring me it needs a change. Then when they change it you hear ::insert book name here:: was SO much better before!!! We want the old book back.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By lightsout

New 52, Tim-Drake-was-never-Robin, Captain-Marvel-is-now-Shazam-because-it's-easier-for-stupid-people-to-follow type changes, yes. I hate them. Change that comes from character/story-development is perfectly okay. May take some getting used to, but I get over it.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By the_tree

I don't hate change, I just hate stupid change.

TerrellV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TerrellV13

As long as it doesn't retcon things, or mess up continuity, why not?

ENGLENTINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1004

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By ENGLENTINE

Jean Paul becoming Batman was not natural and sucked. 

Dick Grayson was a natural switch and was better. 

Wally West taking over as Flash was a natural progression. 
Barry Allen coming back was not
Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Night Thrasher

I hate change for the sake of change, but I love progression. To me New 52 and Marvel Now! are more of the former than the latter.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By waezi2

What is Superior Spiderman?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By colonyofcells

Changes happen all the time : retcons, reboots, births, deaths, etc. and I got used to them already.

ENGLENTINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1004

#17  Edited By ENGLENTINE

I hate ressurections. If you have the stones to kill a character, then have the stones to keep them dead
Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Squalleon

@aaunderoath said:

The Comicbook industry is hilariously the largest example of "The Grass is always Greener" that I've ever experienced. Constantly we hear this:

"Dammit Age of Ultron has been teased forever now when is it finally going to happen! I can't wait!!!"

then it gets announced and you get

"UGH WHY!!! WHY SO MANY CROSSOVERS STOP THIS SUCKS I'M BOYCOTTING THIS! WHO'S WITH ME???"

and the same thing happens with change. One second you have rage posts over ::insert book name here:: is boring me it needs a change. Then when they change it you hear ::insert book name here:: was SO much better before!!! We want the old book back.

Ha,ha lol!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twentyfive

Not all the time. Most of the time, I welcome it.

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sharkbite

I loved Secret Six, Robin, and Doom Patrol. I pulled all three of those titles for their entire runs (over 100 issues of Robin/Red Robin).

New52 cancelled my three favorite books.

To replace the awesomeness of Secret Six, we got a mediocre Suicide Squad.

To replace the awesomeness of Red Robin, we got... Batwing?

To replace the awesomeness of Doom Patrol, we got... Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE... which has since been cancelled itself.

And with Marvel NOW, we get to cancel my favorite Marvel Title (Avengers Academy) and replace it with the senseless killing of several characters I actually like (Avengers Arena). Oh, and now the Thunderbolts no longer have any villains on the team.

Yeah, I generally find I hate the large-scale changes. When they do the blanket reboot, it seems like the gut every title I'm pulling and I end up buying less. Thank Zod for IDW and Boom Comics, otherwise my pull list would have basically cut in half over the past 2 years.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 2chimcha3

I love change; it makes thing more dynamic and fresh. I only hate it if its absolutely stupid or poorly done.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Really does depend of the change and what it entails.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#23  Edited By AssertingValor

I hate how characters strength levels fluctuate to much

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm always open to change depending on the creative forces at work. Without change we'd still be reading the same tired Silver Age stuff from 50 years ago.

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

guys look at invincible , robert kirckman is always changing the status que all the time but always a fantastic change

but its his own comic he can do what he whats though
@Sharkbite
yeah why marvel  why? avengers academy was great

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chalkshark

Arbitrary change is seldom justifiable. Any time things are altered to suit the vanity of the current "creative" team, I consider suspect. New ideas are necessary to keep things fresh, but those concepts should not just be patched in over top of the work of previous creators... especially if said work was generally considered to be superior. DC's "new" 52 initiative is the absolute worst example I've ever seen of change for the sake of change, and hubris in the editorial department. On the other hand, some of the Marvel Now books are fairly decent extensions of ideas that have existed in the Marvel Universe for decades, yet never been fully explored. Fusing the Avengers with the X-Men has always seemed a logical progression for Xavier's dream, yet other than the Beast's long term membership in the Avengers, the idea of humans and mutants working in unison toward a common goal hasn't been played with to a large degree. It's a natural, and rather long overdue, change that I'm interested in following.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By sinestro_GL

I keep an open mind and try to remember that the writers are comic fans with the job of their dreams...so I'm pretty open to change, unless it's something dumb...

Prodigy P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Prodigy P

Change is good; it helps characters grow, and unusual situations make for good stories to be told. I only get upset when changes are unnecessary, forced, excessive or temporary.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#29  Edited By TheCannon

Depends on the change. Mostly, I like it. Stuff like New 52 Superman, Aquaman, Catwoman, Supergirl, etc. has been amazing.

However, then we have the stupidest changes ever made in comics. Such as Terry McGinnis and Stephanie Brown erased from the continuity. Or even the worst move in comic history: Removing Martian Manhunter as a League founder.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By turoksonofstone

I hate unnecessary "creative" change. An existing character is rarely improved by anyone other than it's original creator.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eternal19

@Dernman said:

Depends on the change.

this, I hate the majority of what they did with supes in the new 52

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Chronus

@Zaleos said:

Agreed.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

Change is good and is in fact necessary to keep the narrative interesting. When change is natural and makes sense then it is good. When change is done suddenly, or for shock value, or because the editor just doesn't know what to do with a certain character and therefor forces an arbitrary change to make it easier on himself, then it is a bad change.

For example, Spider-Man marrying Mary Jane was a good change, and felt like a natural progression of the character. Spider-Man making a deal with the devil to undo his marriage in a desperate attempt to save the life of his geriatric aunt who had literally been on her death-bed since Amazing Spider-Man #1 was a character assassination and an example of a bad change done to satisfy the whim of a bad editor.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By judasnixon

An example when change is a bad thing.

When this
When this
turns into that!
turns into that!
Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#35  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I personally enjoy having changes in comics, as long as it is done naturally and it puts the character in a positive direction. However, whenever the change is forced out, then the stories are not so enjoyable because you're wondering to yourself about how this change happened in the first place.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#36  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@The_Tree said:

I don't hate change, I just hate stupid change.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BatteredArmor

I hate change, but I love development

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#38  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Depends on what kind of change we're talking about. Most of the time change is a good thing as it opens new doors and allows new stories to begin; bringing with it a freshness to certain characters and stories. So for the most part I like change as it can take something and make it new again by changing the status quo of a character or bringing in new faces, keeping the amazing history of the characters, yet making things feel fresh and new as well.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By roboadmiral

I won't say I inherently hate change, but good change walks a very fine line. Character development is a necessary part of good story telling. If we start and end in the same place, what was the point of the story? At the same time, there's a problem when you start changing the core aspects of a character so that they cease to be the character that people have become attached to.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By colonyofcells

Changes are done probably to find new customers to try to make more money. Looking forward to the new take on Green Arrow.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By TDK_1997

If it sucks of course.