Do you ever create your own canon or continuity?

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For instance, I love Batman: The Gauntlet and Robin: Year One but I don't really consider it to be sequels or in canon with Dark Victory and instead prefer to use Legends of the Dark Knight #100 since it fits better. Yet, I tend to put Batman: Year One with The Long Halloween and Dark Victory as a trilogy. Do you ever find yourself doing things like this rather than going with "official" continuity?

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the time. I just put bits and pieces I like together just like you. I mean I know the canon. And I know it exist. I just choose to ignore it. Also in my mind; Bruce is a meta-human. Because I choose to acknowledge the 28 hour feat. I just refuse to believe that freaking Bruce Wayne, was a regular guy when he did it. No way. Nope.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Yep, I do the same thing with the X-Men comics, especially whenever I connect New X-Men with Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, and even to the point where I ignored the bad stories during the late 2000s and just connect the stories I liked together.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it seems a bit pointless.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@juliedc: Bruce basically fought every dude in Norway while inside of a pit for 28 hours straight. It was during the whole Zero Year thing. And he didn't kill a single one. Better man then me. Because honestly, I would want to insure they STAY down. It's impossible to fight for 20 minutes without fatigue setting in, let alone 20 hours plus. Dude is the undead. I figure that night in the alley, all parties involved were shot, but it was Bruce's anger that kept him alive and absorbed the bullet. That is in my head.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@juliedc: Go check out the fan-fic section, it's where you can do all that and more and also see what other people come up with

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When something gets retconned like 8 times I usually just go with the simplest explanation for myself, but I don't sit around making stuff up.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By tupiaz

Ok first of all lets gets the terms correct here.

Canon: All official stories released by DC

Continuity: What has happen to a character.

So for instance is Batman: Vampire is canon but not in continuity. No I don't use my own continuity I accept what DC consider as continuity that is there job not mine. I can agree with it or not but that doesn't real matter. However when I put my trades on the shelve I do put the books in order where it would happen even though it is different universes. So Robin: Year One and Batman and Robin All star would more or less be next to each other and just after Dark Victory.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Has DC even stated how the canon works for Batman/Green Lantern in New 52?

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By tupiaz

@maccyd said:

Has DC even stated how the canon works for Batman/Green Lantern in New 52?

Do you mean continuity? Because the canon hasn't change and never does.

Seems like you are almost trolling since the continuity of Batman is one of the most discuss in the new 52. Batman has the five years history can be viewed here. A thumb rule is that the old time can have happened but it is not proven to have happened. It can also have happened in slightly different or not at all. The Green Lantern time is not effected by the new 52 (the only title that has happened for).