Do you consider Star Wars EU canon?

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Forget whatever the creators said about it being canon to the Star Wars movies or not, what are your personal feelings about it?

Personally, I don't think it should be canon. I don't hate it, but I always thought that classic movies like the Star Wars trilogy shouldn't have been given a comic book series, it just kind bothers me. It's like giving Jurassic Park a comic book series (which actually exists), just doesn't feel right.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

The movies are cannon. So if the creators say that the EU isn't cannon, then it's not.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While they were just OK to read, no. God no.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually did, especially the comics. Most of the comic books I read of the EU were frackin' amazing.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I don't think that the Star Wars EU should be considered canon. While I do enjoy and still read some of the stories to come from them, many of them are forgettable, littered with uninteresting characters that were composites of well-known Star Wars characters.

Galen Marek's existence in my eyes forced the Star Wars EU to not be considered canon because he was the EU at it's worst.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad for Boba fans. Now their favorite character will forever be known as the guy who died in less than four seconds.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I do. I'd take the EU over Rebels any day. Sorry Rebels.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolfrazer

Why would you limit yourself to just the movies, when there is a whole universe to explore? The EU really, really expanded on the SWU, showing various stories, different POV, introducing new characters, weapons and technology. So...yeah, of course I consider the EU apart of the SWU...without it, there is very little.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Love the EU and its canon to me and doesn't matter what the creators say. Just hoping Marvel doesn't ruin the EU for everyone. Darth Krayt is one of my favourite characters that came from the EU.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Star Wars canon discussions are cancer.

If you want my opinion, I don't really care either way. I separate Legends Canon and New Canon where I see fit, which is 90% of the time.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canon as stated by those who currently own the franchise is the movies, Clone Wars Cartoon and Rebels cartoon. Fans don't get to decide canon the people who own it do.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I don't, because SW to me is the story Lucas wrote, the rest is just professional fan-fiction and brand profeteering.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BullPR

I used to, reading everything and every book I could.

Then the menace phantom came out and I just stop being interested by the SWU.

I watched the next two movies of course and will watch the new new ones, but it's just one entertainment among others.

_RapTOR_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By _RapTOR_

Yes. I'm not gonna let Disney erase all of my EU knowledge and try to shove replacements of it down my throat. :o

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By primebonnick

don't really care now but i still enjoyed some of the stories

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canon as stated by those who currently own the franchise is the movies, Clone Wars Cartoon and Rebels cartoon. Fans don't get to decide canon the people who own it do.

And that, right there is BS, seeing as the franchise wouldn't even exist without the fans.

I think the most wonderful thing about comics and related fiction is that while there is an official canon, you can also have your own version in your head if you choose to ignore certain stories.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In terms of quality the EU takes a hairy dump all over Canon in general anyway. If people want to limit themselves to what's on-screen, so be it. I'll happily kick back and read the Bane Trilogy, Thrawn Trilogy, Republic comics, Revenge of the Sith, or some other piece of quality EU material.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: By your theory fans could include their fan fics as canon. The reason they get to say what is and isn't canon is because they own it, its like how a car company gets to decide what is standard on their vehicles, even if there happens to be a popular customization that doesn't mean it becomes standard unless the manufacturers decide it is.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: By your theory fans could include their fan fics as canon. The reason they get to say what is and isn't canon is because they own it, its like how a car company gets to decide what is standard on their vehicles, even if there happens to be a popular customization that doesn't mean it becomes standard unless the manufacturers decide it is.

What theory? Its just funny that some dudes that sit at a table somewhere get to decide the fate of characters that are popular because of the fans that buy the stuff. I never said I think fans should have control.....that would be insanity, lol.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: I'm not saying its a good thing, it just is how it is. There are plenty of things I wish weren't canon like OMD and AVX but they are and I just have to deal with it. Honestly just having a good story means way more to me than whether or not it fits in with the rest of a franchise. That's my biggest issue with this canon change, fans act like some Disney goon is gonna kick down their door and take all their EU books and comics. Most of the EU was stuff that probably never would have made it into the movies anyway so I say we should just look at it like with Marvel Comics and the MCU, different continuity in a different world.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

The movies are canon. So if the creators say that the EU isn't canon, then it's not.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Canon or not, at least it had some good stories. Though in the back of my head I'll probably always consider the Darth Bane Trilogy canon because of how good it was and how much sense it made in terms of the whole story.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Too bad for Boba fans. Now their favorite character will forever be known as the guy who died in less than four seconds.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: I'm not saying its a good thing, it just is how it is. There are plenty of things I wish weren't canon like OMD and AVX but they are and I just have to deal with it. Honestly just having a good story means way more to me than whether or not it fits in with the rest of a franchise. That's my biggest issue with this canon change, fans act like some Disney goon is gonna kick down their door and take all their EU books and comics. Most of the EU was stuff that probably never would have made it into the movies anyway so I say we should just look at it like with Marvel Comics and the MCU, different continuity in a different world.

That is whats nice about comics, you don't have to accept all the crap that happens as canon, it is such an expansive fiction. I mean, sure, it is considered by Marvel as "what happened" but, there is no law that says you have to like it, and its also fun to go on websites like this one and discuss what you think should of or should happen. That goes the same for Star Wars, the new movies will be free from being slaved to the source material.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still belive that everything pre-TPM should be cannon and every stuff after ROTJ and TFU no cannon. I dont really understand why Disney made the stuff from the Old Republic no cannon, as it cannot affect their Episode VII.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

The movies are cannon. So if the creators say that the EU isn't cannon, then it's not.

Good think is that creators never said it. It was Disney and Disney is not creator of anything. Oh sorry, except that 14 years old kid that will be soon more powerful than Starkiller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: George Lucas also said he doesn't consider it canon actually. The official announcement was recently made by disney, so it's officially not canon now.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Lucas said it only because they paid him for it and he became their puppet. Such words have not much of value.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping he's in episode VII so very bad.

Avatar image for revantheknowledegecarrier
RevanTheKnowledegeCarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor:
That's it hey lucas let's check what is canon or what is not I know you don't writ anything, but that's you who inspired all of this !!! SO

-Ho no I want to sleep Know...

-That's about the clone war money money money !

-Moneeh? Ho yhea canon put all of this canon !!!

Am I thinking EU = canon? Awnser :

Not all of it.. But Remeber star war is made of legend not only canon.. legend matters in star war !!

I's commercial so on some corner it's completly fuck up...

But No matters the canons... THE UNIVSERSELIVE IN FAN MIND !!!! That's why SW is wonderfull. And I can resume it in one quote :

"THE ONLY CANNON WICH MATTERS, IS MY PERSONNAL CANON !!!"

Grievous encounter obiwan but never figth him personaly before episode III

Quote : "You fool, compt Dokuu train me to your Jedi arts"

And in the canon clone war... Obiwan figth grievous.. Multiples times !!!

Republic commando the game and novels = non canon... The result of the game they popularity parodi in the TWC serie : Canon !!!

We should take the EU as Kojima told to MGS fan's to take MGS portable OPS as an Half canon... "Canon but not on every aspects !!!"