Do We outnumber the gangs & the Jocks

Redletter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Redletter

Science fiction comic-book Fandom has traditionally been placed in the realm of the secluded sub culture since the beginning. But now the numbers are on the rise, they teach Science fiction at a university level, Comic books are now the favorite source of inspiration of the largest entertainment industries in the world.

I just wanted to know if any one else had an opinion on the social level comic book readers now stand at, should i sit at the cool table now :)

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Yumulu

@Redletter said:

Comic books are now the favorite source of inspiration of the largest entertainment industries in the world.

Heeeeh no?

And well I don't think there more comic book geek than jock (to stay on wildly generalization), all theses guys with a superman t-shirt and fan of Batman movie are not necessary comic book fans.

GuruOfFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GuruOfFunk

Liking comics is definitely more "mainstream" these days I suppose but I wouldn't say that they are close to the numbers of sports lovers. I'd say that there are waaaaayyyyyy more people that would say they like sports over comics. And I agree with Yumulu that the majority of people wearing the Superman and Green Lantern t-shirts have no knowledge of the characters outside the movies. But Ya, comics are definitely more accepted and more widely read by way more people than say 10 - 15 years ago.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Yumulu said:

@Redletter said:

Comic books are now the favorite source of inspiration of the largest entertainment industries in the world.

Heeeeh no?

And well I don't think there more comic book geek than jock (to stay on wildly generalization), all theses guys with a superman t-shirt and fan of Batman movie are not necessary comic book fans.  

My guess is this:

TV > Movie > Books > Comics, as far as most popular. Music might be #1.
Redletter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Redletter

True but i here were the fastest growing subculture in existence. More so then the guys who wear Chicago Bears t-shirts but know next to nothing about what a good middle line backer can do to the lower intestines of centreguard after a sneak foot stomp

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yumulu

@GuruOfFunk said:

But Ya, comics are definitely more accepted and more widely read by way more people than say 10 - 15 years ago.

I am not even sure of that, back in the early early 90' comics shops were everywhere unlike today, were one is lucky to have one in a 30 min radius.

http://enterthestory.com/comic_sales.html

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yumulu

@Redletter said:

True but i here were the fastest growing subculture in existence.

As for the fastest growing subculture I would say, in my humble opinion, that its more likely body modifications (or whatever the name of the subculture that encompass that).

Redletter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Redletter

@Yumulu said:

@Redletter said:

True but i here were the fastest growing subculture in existence.

As for the fastest growing subculture I would say, in my humble opinion, that its more likely body modifications (or whatever the name of the subculture that encompass that).

I would say Body Modification is not anywhere on the same level with Comics in subcultural groups, Getting a bit of Ink dose not in any way or form make you part of the subculture, so the group your thinking of is really a lot smaller then you think.

I'd even go as far as to say that 90% of them are the tattoo artists themselves

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just don't start geeking out about it. You don't want to be sitting w/a bunch of guys having a battle forum debate and expect to be "cool".

@Yumulu said:

@GuruOfFunk said:

But Ya, comics are definitely more accepted and more widely read by way more people than say 10 - 15 years ago.

I am not even sure of that, back in the early early 90' comics shops were everywhere unlike today, were one is lucky to have one in a 30 min radius.

http://enterthestory.com/comic_sales.html

You can say the same about music, video games, movie rental retailers which are dying but it doesn't mean it's less popular now then it was back then. Comic books as a form of entertainment is more respected now then it was back then.

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

It depends in what context you use the word "jock". I don't see the problem in enjoying sports and recreation type activities as well as having some down time to read some comics. Hell, somehow I manage to find a balance. Some of my friends that I know tell me that reading comics is childish but I say to them that its simply what I enjoy. If you are reluctant about walking in a comic book store and having to face ridicule from your peers about it, then what's the point of having a hobby that you are hesitant on pursuing? Ridicule or no ridicule, it's better to enjoy something with a freedom of mind then constantly having to worry about the ramifications.

Redletter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Redletter

@yumyumbubblegum: Clapping (insert round of applause) testify

The thing is that even now you could over hear adults talking about comic books in a coffee shop, discussing batman superman spider-man openly I just think that we as individuals should be more publicly accepting that we are into these things. we are growing in size becoming an increasing part of the majority & it is the majority by definition that defines what is normal and what is not.

It's the people who think comic books are for children that are weird! they have obviously have no grasp on to-days reality. Having never read the invisible s , I pity the child they let read that thinking it's just a comic-book

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator

We are trailing the 80's Inspired Neo Hipsters and the Lesbian Plague Rat Goths. The Shock Jocks, Vintage Jocks, Old School Jocks and the Indy Jocks will probably all split off from the main jock subcategory which will be known as the Classic Jocks. Not sure if the Flash Dancers will make a bid to join with the NRA Ballerina's but I hear the Simpsons nerds and the Family Guy Geeks have settled past grievances so a new big alliance may be in the works. The hard stoners haven't been seen for months but the fake stoners are over there by the vending machine. Don't get my started on the poets!!!!!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14  Edited By SC  Moderator
@lykopis said:

@SC said:

We are trailing the 80's Inspired Neo Hipsters and the Lesbian Plague Rat Goths. The Shock Jocks, Vintage Jocks, Old School Jocks and the Indy Jocks will probably all split off from the main jock subcategory which will be known as the Classic Jocks. Not sure if the Flash Dancers will make a bid to join with the NRA Ballerina's but I hear the Simpsons nerds and the Family Guy Geeks have settled past grievances so a new big alliance may be in the works. The hard stoners haven't been seen for months but the fake stoners are over there by the vending machine. Don't get my started on the poets!!!!!

Easy there on the poets, comic geek - wedgies are my specialty.

Signed,

Cool Chick

Who you calling a comic geek? I'm a part of the Floating Fiery Watermelon Sphere Clique. You can't give my type wedgies.  

Cool chick? You... cold... or something? Heh heh, that was an epic burn.  

0_0 
Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Larkin1388

@JediXMan said:

@Yumulu said:

@Redletter said:

Heeeeh no?

My guess is this: TV > Movie > Books > Comics, as far as most popular. Music might be #1.

I agree JediXMan.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Zdaybreak

@JediXMan: Internet>Movies>Comics>Books>TV

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- I never really cared if my table was considered the cool one or not, just that I liked the people I was sitting with.

- As for cliques, they tend to be more diverse than they used to so "we" is a lot harder to define than it used to