Do seriously more women read comics today?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

I always find this being told every place.

Its like a mantra for several people.

Still i have notice that most of people cant point a source why this could be true or they use studies that point, they have only read an small number or only read one, something like the whole more women are gamers thing, besides the fact those studies many times are only based on asking people if they read comics, not to see if they actually read them, i know people that pretends to read comics or to be nerds in my real life.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Of course not.

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They always say women are just as interested in "men stuff" as men are. It's like a new sales slogan or something.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MetalJimmor

I feel it's becoming more culturally acceptable for women to be interested in what were once male dominated industries. Video games are an especially good example. So it seems to be that it's reasonable that more women will also be getting into comics than they did back in say, the 60s.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I always see women in my local stores...

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ratio of male to females that I know that read comics is pretty evenly split. Now did I see that when I was younger? No. When I was younger, I didn't know any females that enjoyed comics, but I also feel a few things have changed over the years.

1. More socially acceptable to be a comic reader in general (regardless of gender)

2 More accessible (many sites have subscription services, there are digital releases, etc)

3. More options (there are more and more comics covering more topics, not everything is about superheroes)

4. More diversity (not every character is a white male)

Now all of this is subjective and goes off my personal experience. I haven't seen or heard of any studies that focuses on this, though it would be interesting to see not only the numbers of females that read comics over the years, but also age groups and race, and how they get their comics.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By silent_bomber

I think they do in comparison to the 90s, but I think most of the growth is in Manga/Anime.

In regards to actual numbers overall, no. Nobody reads more comics today, the market has been steadily decreasing for years. In Britain we had a multitude of dedicated Girls comics back in the 70s, and many were selling 200,000 odd a week.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they do in comparison to the 90s, but I think most of the growth is in Manga/Anime.

In regards to actual numbers overall, no. Nobody reads more comics today, the market has been steadily decreasing for years. In Britain we had a multitude of dedicated Girls comics back in the 70s, and many were selling 200,000 odd a week.

Here in México that it the whole truth, when i point this several people see me and say they buy more DC and Marvel, but i point that if they see what women are buying they will notice 90% buy Manga, since every time i go to stores this is the case.

Also i keep pointing that if this was true, was the sell keep dropping.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

@deathpoolthet1000: I only buy trade's which don't get released as often so reflect in sales, alot of people buy online as opposed to shops now.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bigger question why should we care if they do or don't ? If they like comic or anything else geeky then let them enjoy their hobbie with out someone asking them why they like it.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainHoopla

I absolutely think more women are reading comics now. I don't think the 40% of comic readers are now women statement I've heard a few times is right though. I do think the majority of them are digital readers. I know several women who's biggest obstacle was just going to and feeling comfortable in many comic shops. The digital world removed that obstacle.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Eh, hard to tell.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely think more women are reading comics now. I don't think the 40% of comic readers are now women statement I've heard a few times is right though. I do think the majority of them are digital readers. I know several women who's biggest obstacle was just going to and feeling comfortable in many comic shops. The digital world removed that obstacle.

And that its my problem, its like if they feel the need to tell us its a huge group.

The whole most of women were gamers, said that if a women played a game at least once it was a gamer.

But also the fact they count manga as comics or many times they dont point they buy indy comics of non mainstream subjects.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you were to go by comic convention attendance, there is an almost even split. Having this translate into more female consumers purchasing comics is what major publishing houses are eyeing. So yes, there are more women purchasing comics than ever before.