Do Most new Marvel fans Come from Movies?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

I'm not trying to start trouble even if I prefer Dc. Me and my friend were debating about how we think most of the newest marvel fans come from movies and barley pick up a comic?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

probably. the amount of people who actually read comics is a very small number.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bgibs13390

Its true. Suddenly everyone is a Iron Man "fan". Or an Avengers "fan". Or they like Thor because Hemsworth is hot. They are jumping on the Marvel bandwagon without ever picking up a comic. Its kinda annoying. That being said one of the things that got me into comics in the first place was the first Spider-Man movie with Toby. So if it brings in new fans that's great but don't pretend you know anything about the character if you never read any of the comics.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Experio

@bgibs13390 said:

Its true. Suddenly everyone is a Iron Man "fan". Or an Avengers "fan". Or they like Thor because Hemsworth is hot. They are jumping on the Marvel bandwagon without ever picking up a comic. Its kinda annoying. That being said one of the things that got me into comics in the first place was the first Spider-Man movie with Toby. So if it brings in new fans that's great but don't pretend you know anything about the character if you never read any of the comics.

lol quoted for truth

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before recently, my friend couldn't be bothered to read a comic. Then she saw Thor 1 (this was like summer, since she wanted to watch Thor 2), and fell in love with Marvel. She asked what she should read, and I told her to pick up the ill-fated Journey into Mystery featuring Sif. There's a lot of stuff tailored for females in Marvel at the moment. At least in my opinion. Good stuff too. She now loves Captain Marvel and X-Men by Brian Wood.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

That's what it seems like. Kind of sad really...

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yep.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge Dc fan and because of that I find myself defending Dc movies and Comics a lot. I find a lot of Marvel fans know less then I do. I like the idea of Movies introducing people to comics but not making people think they know everything. I met one guy who believed that Spiderman Actually made his own webs from his wrist.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By LyraFay

Well I starting reading Batman comics after Nolan Batman movies, so I guess people do.

Commander_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Certainly isn't the animation. What I wouldn't give to have a GOOD Spidey Animated Series again.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Wolverine008

I did. Watched Iron Man 1 and Avengers, and decided to get into the wonderful world of comics.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Before recently, my friend couldn't be bothered to read a comic. Then she saw Thor 1 (this was like summer, since she wanted to watch Thor 2), and fell in love with Marvel. She asked what she should read, and I told her to pick up the ill-fated Journey into Mystery featuring Sif. There's a lot of stuff tailored for females in Marvel at the moment. At least in my opinion. Good stuff too. She now loves Captain Marvel and X-Men by Brian Wood.

Unfortunately your friend is probably the exception, not the rule.

Because the amount of people who go to a movie and the amount of people buying comics monthly just do not even compare, sadly.

My two brothers LOVE CBM's (dc or mavel) and I can barely get them to read comics - though I've been shoving Invincible down one of my bro's throat all week, so maybe i can convert one. But its been a bitch lol

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tyrus

Pretty much. It's not a bad thing - Super Friends, the original X-Men animated series... They were all the exact same situation.

Some of these films are made to help people see/notice particular characters.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what the ratio is between people that see comic book movies and who read a comic series in a year compared with how many people might read a book in a year.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I find funny is that - yes, I'm calling out DC fans (sorry), they say "Avengers is only well-known because of the movie!" yet those same people argue that DC heroes have been well-known for a long time because they had animated series and movies back in the day...

Point is, recognition has to start somewhere, right?

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im gonna disagree here. people can know plenty about the character and even if they only watche dthe movie. and they aren any less of a fan if they dont know "everything". i really hate how in comic books/video games/nerd culture in general looks down on peoplr who are entering a fanbase in any sort fo way, they like the character. and. so wha maybe they only know the movie version they are still a fan

AminoAcidMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AminoAcidMan

Definitely, well i started reading because of the New52 and sandman. But the Nolan trilogy influenced me alot. Its annoying that my friends feels they are certified Marvel fans because they have an avengers shirt. Before it even came they can't even discern Marvel from DC. LOL

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PeppeyHare

@aminoacidman: Do they have to pass a test before they can like something?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrus:

True. But Marvel had all that too and many years later no one knew about Thor and Ironman until after there movies same thing for cap. Superman Batman Wonder woman Flash and Aquaman have always been known. So have Characters like Robin and lois.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Well the old Justice League cartoon and the original Spiderman movies are what got me into reading comics in the first place, so yes.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infamous_wolf said:

@battle_forum_junkie said:

That's what it seems like. Kind of sad really...

Why would it be sad?

I guess it isn't anything wrong with it. Just because they never read a comic doesn't mean they can't like a character just as much as the next guy.

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say so, I know that I got into comics because of the Teen Titans TV show. It doesn't bother me though unless they say they are a fan and then I ask if they know Slade from the Teen Titans TV Show and they say yes but when I ask if they know Deathstoke they say they have no idea who that is. Same goes for Bane from TDKR because when I ask them if they know him they say yes but then I show them a pic of him from the comics and their like that's not Bane, Bane is white and wears a cool mask over his head. At those moments I just shake my head and say to myself "They don't know any better, just let it happen."

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can't say for everyone, but the MCU did help me get back into comics.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

Well the old Justice League cartoon and the original Spiderman movies are what got me into reading comics in the first place, so yes.

This