• 71 results
#51 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (4925 posts) - - Show Bio

I always get a good laugh when people bring up the "Marvel is geared more towards children" and "DC is for more mature audiences". Marvel just has more faith in their characters unlike DC. Without Nolan's Batman movies what have they really accomplished? Seriously? How many non comic fans care about any other DC characters besides Batman and Superman? I also love the whole dark and gritty argument. There is plenty of dark and gritty on the 6 o'clock news every night. Gritty and dark doesn't equal better story all the time. We are talking about superhero comic based characters. I'd rather have movies that are closer to the comics than something watered down because it's trying to be realistic. Most of you people bringing up mature themes and dark and gritty stories try to make yourselves out to be superior to others for supposed better movie tastes. As a fireman I see real death, destruction, murder, rape, molestation, drug overdose's etc. Guess that makes my life more dark and gritty than most of you? I prefer movies that are more fantastical than something that's so grounded or dark and gritty. Movies are meant to be an escape, so stop acting so high and mighty about certain comic films that take themselves entirely too seriously as some of you are taking yourselves.

#52 Edited by lilben42 (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

DC movies are more just serious than dark and gritty. The only dark and gritty movies there were for DC was TDK trilogy and Watchmen.

#53 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23:

1. I wouldn't be talking if I were you.

2. No, moron. Before New 52 happened, he was pratically dropped. He had one huge shot at the main stream, then they dropped him for a good time. Want to explain what happened to Lobo as well?

3. Keep crying. And yeah, totally obscure movie. It's good to know when someone brings up something to you, you close your ears and cry/insult. Green Lantern was shit. It was an overall bad movie because of what it was. I could go on a detailed list about the whole movie, but if you saw it, you should already know what made it bad.

4. Or, they have fun. Because it was light-hearted, it was childish? Yeah, you don't seem biased at all. If I had to be a complete dick, I'd say the whole The Dark Knight, or hell Heath Ledger's Joker was a Crow rip off, and only appealed to kids who shopped at Hot Topic.

5. Batman Begins got the lowest rating of the whole trilogy, idiot. Don't know where you're getting this "IT WAS JUST AS CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED" because it damn well wasn't. Also, go look up how much it made sales wise compared to The Dark Knight. Yeah.... As I said. Heath Ledger boosted that series. You should thank him for it, because Bale's acting sure as hell didn't do it.

Do they? I think if you compared phase one, to even DC's recent movies, like Jonah Hex, Watchmen, Green Lantern, Superman Returns, Man Of Steel, maybe we'd get somewhere.

But no, you can continue to hold onto Batman. It's what DC fans do. Because if all else fails, "WE HAD DA DARK KNIGHT SERIES!!!111111". And yeah, the guy who's talked about DC more on here, is DEFINITELY the Marvel fangirl. I just wish you annoying, self righteous DC Fans would just shut the hell up already.

@lone_wolf_and_cub Nailed it.

God forbid a movie have fun, THAT MEANS IT ONLY APPEALS TO CHILDREN. Or.. people with an open mind who want to see more than a man dressed that looks like a really heavy Bat, while talking like he has some sort of disease. While chasing the Green Haired Crow.

#54 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1839 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru:

1. Keep up with those great counter points ;)

2. How is he dropped out the mainstream? His comic is still going strong, and getting good reviews for that matter. Are you just pulling random garbage out of nowhere because it sounds cool?

3. Once again, failed expectations are not the same as an overall bad movie. And by the way, saying GL is worse than whatever obsure movie you bring up isnt helping you at all. it just makes you look stupid. "hurrr Dat shaq movie wuz better than green lantern!!!1" You're nothing but a troll at this point. Its kind of pathetic actually.

4. Aka targeted at children and young teens. Marvel goes for mass appeal.

5. 88.8 if you want the exact number :) I rounded up on all the numbers to be fair. Seriously, thats the thing you chose to pick out of my arguement? How desperate. And once again, Batman Begins was just as well received critically as TDKR. No Heath Ledger in that movie. Your point is invalid.

And considering DC hasnt made many modern comic films, they have to small of a sample size to really judge properly. There's no point in arguing with you anymore. Keep being a Marvel fangirl though.

I was gonna pitch in and help you out, but seems like you don't need any. Sideburn guy is destroying his own arguments better than I could anyhow. When he starts reaching with things "Batman Begins wasn't critically acclaimed", when all the evidence would show it was, I think you've won.

#55 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything said:

@redlantern23 said:

@sideburnguru:

1. Keep up with those great counter points ;)

2. How is he dropped out the mainstream? His comic is still going strong, and getting good reviews for that matter. Are you just pulling random garbage out of nowhere because it sounds cool?

3. Once again, failed expectations are not the same as an overall bad movie. And by the way, saying GL is worse than whatever obsure movie you bring up isnt helping you at all. it just makes you look stupid. "hurrr Dat shaq movie wuz better than green lantern!!!1" You're nothing but a troll at this point. Its kind of pathetic actually.

4. Aka targeted at children and young teens. Marvel goes for mass appeal.

5. 88.8 if you want the exact number :) I rounded up on all the numbers to be fair. Seriously, thats the thing you chose to pick out of my arguement? How desperate. And once again, Batman Begins was just as well received critically as TDKR. No Heath Ledger in that movie. Your point is invalid.

And considering DC hasnt made many modern comic films, they have to small of a sample size to really judge properly. There's no point in arguing with you anymore. Keep being a Marvel fangirl though.

I was gonna pitch in and help you out, but seems like you don't need any. Sideburn guy is destroying his own arguments better than I could anyhow. When he starts reaching with things "Batman Begins wasn't critically acclaimed", when all the evidence would show it was, I think you've won.

Grow up.

Show the evidence how it was critically acclaimed. Unless 85 is critically acclaimed. I usually tend to think a movie that's 90+ is critically acclaimed. I don't see any other site hyping the movie up as you all are. It was good, but it wasn't "critically acclaimed".

Unless you have some really low standards. Anyway, you can DC fans keep to the Dark Knight argument, because if we're still going to stick to the "CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED" argument? Man Of Steel flopped.

#56 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1839 posts) - - Show Bio

Grow up.

Show the evidence how it was critically acclaimed. Unless 85 is critically acclaimed. I usually tend to think a movie that's 90+ is critically acclaimed. I don't see any other site hyping the movie up as you all are. It was good, but it wasn't "critically acclaimed".

Unless you have some really low standards. Anyway, you can DC fans keep to the Dark Knight argument, because if we're still going to stick to the "CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED" argument? Man Of Steel flopped.

How cute. You changed the definition of critically acclaimed to the point that Batman Begins no longer qualifies. How convenient. It must now be 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. You should notify RT, they have their fresh standard at 60%, they must not know that the standard is now 90%. Plus, this whole thread is supposed to be "Do Marvel Characters adapt to the big screen?" Me and RedLantern are simply saying "No, it only seems that way because Marvel MAKES MORE FILMS THAN DC. WE never said that was a bad thing. (I even gave Marvel credit for doing that.) We never said "DC films are better." We're simply rebutting your arguments because you're using some really lame points.

Now..I must go bash Marvel some more. It's the only reason I joined this site!

#57 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Millar would have everyone think so.

#58 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything said:

@sideburnguru said:

Grow up.

How cute. You changed the definition of critically acclaimed to the point that Batman Begins no longer qualifies. How convenient. It must now be 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. You should notify RT, they have their fresh standard at 60%, they must not know that the standard is now 90%. Plus, this whole thread is supposed to be "Do Marvel Characters adapt to the big screen?" Me and RedLantern are simply saying "No, it only seems that way because Marvel MAKES MORE FILMS THAN DC. WE never said that was a bad thing. (I even gave Marvel credit for doing that.) We never said "DC films are better." We're simply rebutting your arguments because you're using some really lame points.

Now..I must go bash Marvel some more. It's the only reason I joined this site!

Oh, so anything that's the "fresh standard" is criticaly acclaimed now? Sure, help my argument. Each Marvel movie in Phase 1 is critically acclaimed in your standard.

Keep being sarcastic, and trying to throw out insults out of your petty DC fanboy ass. Your arguments were both lame. And if you couldn't read, he was putting down Marvel. I'm pretty sure you can't though, going by the fact you think everything above a 60 percent is "CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED". As said, Marvel will be above DC in terms of movies because DC can only rely on The Dark Knight. That's what I'm finishing it with, and it's proven by The Dark Knight being the only "critically acclaimed" movies.

Now shove off.

#59 Edited by Jack Donaghy (928 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru said:

@batmannflash

All of them? Hardly. I actually enjoyed the movies that were even called terrible. I'm saying, they're grossly overrated. TDK series especially. As said, if we're stating what the VIEWERS/critics say? Man Of Steel is an "okay" movie on that note then. We both know that isn't true, by any means.

To be fair, I enjoyed DC's older movies than their newer.

@redlantern23

Should already look at your name and expect some kind of biased argument, but whatever. I'll bite.

1. The hell he was. B-List was Flash, not Iron Man. Household name at the time? Definitely was. Was he brought up as much? No. But people definitely knew who Iron Man was.

2. Oh, cry some more. DC being DC means they won't give more than one shot for any character, and they rather stick to their big names, and that being it. Only putting their top known characters in everything, instead of trying to properly build up lower ones. Let me give an example.

In UMvC3, Marvel chose alot of lesser known characters for people to get a taste of. Such as Nova. Who also played a good part in the Spider-Man cartoon, to hopefully build up his popularity. Characters like Deadpool are getting to that point, by featuring him in different things and getting people into him, which make people want to check out the comics. With NO offense to DC, when was the last time they really tried that?

3. "Awful Ghost Rider movies." Hey, at least it looked nice, and Ghost Rider himself worked out prettty well. The other scenes? Nope. But as said least Ghost Rider had some pretty nice looking scenes. As for Elektra, I thought it was a summer action movie. Nothing impressive. Green Lantern was the bigger let down because of the character it was about. People were waiting for that, for a LONG time. And that disapointmen came out. Oh yes, let's use that one example on Marvel DARE doing a twist to it. They never SHOT down the character, they shot down the character in that movie. People don't grasp that.

4. "It's quality speaks for itself." Lots of action, make it really dark looking, have Batman talk like he has shit in his mouth, and get it's main popularity from the death of Heath Ledger [And no disrespect to him with that.]. Give me a damn break, the series took of at The Dark Knight for that exact reason.

5. Lol, that biased comment. I wouldn't really expect you to know differently. Funny enough, most of their movies still do well enough to justify sequels. They didn't have the misfortune of an actor dieing to help boost their movies, and that's not an insult.

Again, keep your tears flowing champ.

Someone's a little touchy, someone in a Batman costume steal your lunch money pal? You're one of the biggest Marvel fanboys I've ever seen if you think crap like Elektra and Ghost Rider were better than Green Lantern. And about number 4 if that's the case why did TDKR make even more money than TDK did WITHOUT Ledger? If people only cared about him surely the sequel would have a massive decrease at the box office. Face it TDK would have made a lot of money whether Ledger died or not, Batman Begins didn't make that much because it was 7 years after a film that almost killed the genre. But it did very well on DVD sales and well enough at the box office to warrant a sequel. If Ledger dying equals box office success why didn't his last film ever The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus set the box office on fire? It did well for it's budget but nothing historic like TDK.

And Iron Man was not more well known than the Flash was before his movie, maybe with some young people who remembered his cartoon from the 90's. But no one else, most people are aware of the Flash they know he's a man in a red costume who runs really fast. And you say people only cared about TDK because of Ledger I say it's clear the only reason people care about Iron Man at all is Robert Downey Jr. and he's the biggest reason The Avengers made as much as it did.

#61 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy: Yes, I found Ghost Rider, when GHOST RIDER was actually shown to be better than Green Lantern. Yes, I WOULD say Elektra was better than Green Lantern, because if anyone went into that movie with any kind of high expectations after seeing the trailer, they were bloody idiots.

As for number 4. http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm Try again. Some people should really stop pulling things out of their ass. On a side note, check what's above The Dark Knight on that site. What's number 3? ...That doesn't look like a DC movie to me. Uh-oh.

4The Dark KnightWB$534,858,4442008

7The Dark Knight RisesWB$448,139,0992012

Sure bud. Ledger was the highlight of the movie, because that's what everyone was highlighting on and talking about. "LEDGER'S PERFORMANCE WAS THE BEST. Shame he's gone!" "This is his last appearance, and it's damn amazing!" That was EVERYWHERE. You damn Nolan fanboys could just admit to that. It was very successful, and it was a nice performance. However, to deny that Ledger didn't do most of the success for that movie, and hell, I should just say series? You're out of your damn mind.

The Imagin- whatever didn't do as well because it wasn't highlighted as much. No one really talked about it. Do I know why? No, I honestly don't. It was a pretty good movie that no one really talked about, and they just kind of let it go.

And yeah, that's always a nice assumption. Again, check those box office sales. It's one thing if I use an argument that a few others have even said. Bet if you look it up, I wouldn't be alone with the "Heath Ledger success" argument. I rarely hear people say RDJ was the reason Avengers excelled. Did it help? Yes. Was it the solo reason? No. This was one of the first movies casual people got to see many heroes all together.

Anyway, good game.

#62 Posted by Jack Donaghy (928 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy:

Yes, I found Ghost Rider, when GHOST RIDER was actually shown to be better than Green Lantern. Yes, I WOULD say Elektra was better than Green Lantern, because if anyone went into that movie with any kind of high expectations after seeing the trailer, they were bloody idiots.

As for number 4.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Try again. Some people should really stop pulling things out of their ass. On a side note, check what's above The Dark Knight on that site. What's number 3? ...That doesn't look like a DC movie to me. Uh-oh.

Sure bud. Ledger was the highlight of the movie, because that's what everyone was highlighting on and talking about. "LEDGER'S PERFORMANCE WAS THE BEST. Shame he's gone!" "This is his last appearance, and it's damn amazing!" That was EVERYWHERE. You damn Nolan fanboys could just admit to that. It was very successful, and it was a nice performance. However, to deny that Ledger didn't do most of the success for that movie, and hell, I should just say series? You're out of your damn mind.

The Imagin- whatever didn't do as well because it wasn't highlighted as much. No one really talked about it. Do I know why? No, I honestly don't. It was a pretty good movie that no one really talked about, and they just kind of let it go.

And yeah, that's always a nice assumption. Again, check those box office sales. It's one thing if I use an argument that a few others have even said. Bet if you look it up, I wouldn't be alone with the "Heath Ledger success" argument. I rarely hear people say RDJ was the reason Avengers excelled. Did it help? Yes. Was it the solo reason? No. This was one of the first movies casual people got to see many heroes all together.

Anyway, good game.

Sorry check those facts again Jr. TDKR DID make more than TDK, worldwide not just domestically cause you know America isn't the world and I say that as an American. TDK made $1,004,558,444 with much better reviews and was in theaters longer because of the Oscars while TDKR made$1,084,439,099 not to mention the higher opening weekend WITHOUT HEATH LEDGER IN THE MOVIE, and not having as strong reviews plus a little shooting that may have kept people with kids away. You're making it seem like the idea of a Batman movie making money is so absurd, even Batman & freaking Robin broke opening weekend box office records before the terribad WOM doomed it. Yes Ledger helped the film I'd be crazy to deny that but you're making it seem like the movie would've bombed without him and that's clearly not the case.

And I stand by the fact that no one outside of comic book fans would give a crap about Iron Man if it wasn't for RDJ, you can't deny the character owes his popularity to having such a charismatic actor. Why do you think Iron Man broke out in the mainstream conveniently when RDJ got around to playing him? Surely it's not because no one cared about/knew who the hell the character was before than and only do now because of RDJ. If Bale was Iron Man he'd be doing Cap and Thor numbers no offense to Bale but he's no RDJ when it comes to star power.

#63 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy:

Yes, I found Ghost Rider, when GHOST RIDER was actually shown to be better than Green Lantern. Yes, I WOULD say Elektra was better than Green Lantern, because if anyone went into that movie with any kind of high expectations after seeing the trailer, they were bloody idiots.

As for number 4.

Try again. Some people should really stop pulling things out of their ass. On a side note, check what's above The Dark Knight on that site. What's number 3? ...That doesn't look like a DC movie to me. Uh-oh.

Anyway, good game.

Sorry check those facts again Jr. TDKR DID make more than TDK, worldwide not just domestically cause you know America isn't the world and I say that as an American. TDK made $1,004,558,444 with much better reviews and was in theaters longer because of the Oscars while TDKR made$1,084,439,099 not to mention the higher opening weekend WITHOUT HEATH LEDGER IN THE MOVIE, and not having as strong reviews plus a little shooting that may have kept people with kids away. You're making it seem like the idea of a Batman movie making money is so absurd, even Batman & freaking Robin broke opening weekend box office records before the terribad WOM doomed it. Yes Ledger helped the film I'd be crazy to deny that but you're making it seem like the movie would've bombed without him and that's clearly not the case.

And I stand by the fact that no one outside of comic book fans would give a crap about Iron Man if it wasn't for RDJ, you can't deny the character owes his popularity to having such a charismatic actor. Why do you think Iron Man broke out in the mainstream conveniently when RDJ got around to playing him? Surely it's not because no one cared about/knew who the hell the character was before than and only do now because of RDJ. If Bale was Iron Man he'd be doing Cap and Thor numbers no offense to Bale but he's no RDJ when it comes to star power.

Glad to see we're all calming down a bit. Also, you should've just stuck to domestically. Because worldwide, Iron Man 3 and The Avengers are currently dominating The Dark Knight. That's for a whole other argument though.

I'm not against Batman making money. This whole argument began because I was defending Marvel, in which case I saw DC fanboys shooting at Marvel, while in my personal opinion, the only good "CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED" movie that ever came from DC was The Dark Knight franchise. I still do say Ledger had the biggest note in that. Would it have been successfull? Sure. As successful as it is now? I surely doubt it.

I give the popularity argument to RDJ, AND because Marvel does properly push the character. Iron Man was definitely a big character. Was he as big when RDJ hit it? No. But I'd say he was pretty well known before hand. I'd argue he was a household name. Won't find me arguing with Bale, because I personally think he's the worse thing about the Nolan movies. I like the other actors, I think they all do great. Won't ever find me saying that about Bale.

#64 Posted by Jack Donaghy (928 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy said:

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy:

As for number 4.

Anyway, good game.

Glad to see we're all calming down a bit. Also, you should've just stuck to domestically. Because worldwide, Iron Man 3 and The Avengers are currently dominating The Dark Knight. That's for a whole other argument though.

I'm not against Batman making money. This whole argument began because I was defending Marvel, in which case I saw DC fanboys shooting at Marvel, while in my personal opinion, the only good "CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED" movie that ever came from DC was The Dark Knight franchise. I still do say Ledger had the biggest note in that. Would it have been successfull? Sure. As successful as it is now? I surely doubt it.

I give the popularity argument to RDJ, AND because Marvel does properly push the character. Iron Man was definitely a big character. Was he as big when RDJ hit it? No. But I'd say he was pretty well known before hand. I'd argue he was a household name. Won't find me arguing with Bale, because I personally think he's the worse thing about the Nolan movies. I like the other actors, I think they all do great. Won't ever find me saying that about Bale.

I know they are never said they weren't I'm just saying it's a fact that TDKR made more money all together than TDK why stick to domestically? The movie studios don't they count the money they make worldwide and I will too. Besides going by that logic TDKR has made more money than any MCU not named The Avengers since it made more domestically than even IM3 even though that came a year after The Avengers and had a 3D advantage.

Wrong, his popularity nearly all of it is because of RDJ why do you think the character wasn't that popular before 2008? Sure some people knew of him but none of them cared even comic book fans don't care about Iron Man. His comics don't sell all that well and on this site his forum barely gets visitors. Plus Marvel is handling and pushing Thor and Captain America why aren't they as popular as him. Could it be they aren't played by RDJ and he is. That shows me RDJ is by far the biggest reason Iron Man is popular atm. Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man.

#65 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy:

As for number 4.

Anyway, good game.

I know they are never said they weren't I'm just saying it's a fact that TDKR made more money all together than TDK why stick to domestically? The movie studios don't they count the money they make worldwide and I will too. Besides going by that logic TDKR has made more money than any MCU not named The Avengers since it made more domestically than even IM3 even though that came a year after The Avengers and had a 3D advantage.

Wrong, his popularity nearly all of it is because of RDJ why do you think the character wasn't that popular before 2008? Sure some people knew of him but none of them cared even comic book fans don't care about Iron Man. His comics don't sell all that well and on this site his forum barely gets visitors. Plus Marvel is handling and pushing Thor and Captain America why aren't they as popular as him. Could it be they aren't played by RDJ and he is. That shows me RDJ is by far the biggest reason Iron Man is popular atm. Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man.

"Not named The Avengers." But Iron Man 3 is still making money, and it's above Dark Knight Rises. Also, Avengers had 3D... So did Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises.

"His forum". Okay, alot of the character forums here aren't really booming. Also, how do you figure his comics don't sell well? Do you have any stats for that?

#66 Posted by Jack Donaghy (928 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy said:

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy:

As for number 4.

Anyway, good game.

"Not named The Avengers." But Iron Man 3 is still making money, and it's above Dark Knight Rises. Also, Avengers had 3D... So did Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises.

"His forum". Okay, alot of the character forums here aren't really booming. Also, how do you figure his comics don't sell well? Do you have any stats for that?

lol TDK and TDKR didn't have 3D c'mon man everyone knows that, Man of Steel is the 1st Nolan superhero movie to have it btw. And yeah IM3 is still playing but it's at $400,945,222 and most likely won't make it to the $448 million TDKR made since it has been in theaters awhile and they'll have to make room for new movies.

Look at his forum the most recent posts are from a month or more ago, for a character who is as popular as he is that's kind of strange is it not. As for his sales just Google comic book sales. X-Men, Batman, JL, Superman, Avengers are the top sellers Iron Man's solo stuff usually isn't even in the top 25. If that's not a sign that no RDJ equals no one caring about IM I don't know what is.

#67 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy:

As for number 4.

Anyway, good game.

lol TDK and TDKR didn't have 3D c'mon man everyone knows that, Man of Steel is the 1st Nolan superhero movie to have it btw. And yeah IM3 is still playing but it's at $400,945,222 and most likely won't make it to the $448 million TDKR made since it has been in theaters awhile and they'll have to make room for new movies.

Look at his forum the most recent posts are from a month or more ago, for a character who is as popular as he is that's kind of strange is it not. As for his sales just Google comic book sales. X-Men, Batman, JL, Superman, Avengers are the top sellers Iron Man's solo stuff usually isn't even in the top 25. If that's not a sign that no RDJ equals no one caring about IM I don't know what is.

Ah yep, just read into that. So what the hell did it go into IMAX for apparently? Isn't IMAX strictly 3D? And we'll see. Can't shoot it down yet. It's current position is at an estimated guess, apparently.

Could I also say something? The reason you see all those sales, is because of how the comics are made. There about.. ten X-Men titles out, probably... eight Batman titles, three Justice League titles, get where I'm going? Iron Man usually only has one or two titles.

#68 Edited by Jack Donaghy (928 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@sideburnguru said:

@jack_donaghy:

As for number 4.

Anyway, good game.

Ah yep, just read into that. So what the hell did it go into IMAX for apparently? Isn't IMAX strictly 3D? And we'll see. Can't shoot it down yet. It's current position is at an estimated guess, apparently.

Could I also say something? The reason you see all those sales, is because of how the comics are made. There about.. ten X-Men titles out, probably... eight Batman titles, three Justice League titles, get where I'm going? Iron Man usually only has one or two titles.

Anything is possible but I doubt it, plus even if it does catch or slightly make more money than TDKR it won't mean much since it has DAT 3D EDGE. Plus with the Avengers high everyone's in, it being more family friendly and a more charismatic lead there's no excuse for IM3 to not have dominated TDKR at the domestic box office.

Yeah but not all of those franchises' books are as high selling as the others, also I think I read Cap and Thor's solo books sell better than Iron Man's not just recently either but over the history of the characters.

#69 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy: Can agree to that. Don't see why Iron Man 3 isn't going over alot better. Critics aren't overly harsh on it, but eh.

Yeah, Cap did sell more. Thor, I'm not too sure on. I think in comics term, if we're using the three.
1. Captain America
2. Iron Man
3. Thor [Not always like that].

#70 Edited by Havenless (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23 said:

You have to remember that half of Marvel's movies are licensed out to other studios which is why there are so many compared to DC.

And a lot of Marvel's have been bad. FF, Ghostrider, Elektra, Punisher, etc. I'd rather DC be wary and focus on making a few great movies than pump out a dozen and half of them be bad. Hopefully thats what happens.

DC is being wary, yet still they have the same strikeout record as Marvel. Whether you appreciate the site or not, I'll tag on some IMDB ratings just to get a feel for the general consensus.

1. Catwoman is the single worst movie I've seen in my entire life. And believe me, I've seen some BAD movies. (3.2!!)

2. Batman & Robin isn't much better...(3.6)

3. And Jonah Hex was so horrendous I don't even want to talk about it. (4.6)

4. Batman Forever was a disappointment.... (5.4)

5. But not nearly as much as Superman Returns. (6.2, happy that at least some people liked it)

6. Speaking of Disappointments, Green Lantern. (5.8)

7. Superman IV is on my 'All Time Greatest Comedies' list. (3.6)

8. At least Superman III was a little better. (4.9)

9. Steel (2.7... we have a winner.)

So no, your whole consideration of 'DC being wary to avoid half the movies they make from being bad' is complete bias. Nearly half the movies they make ARE bad, whatever their cautious strategy is.

#71 Posted by Jack Donaghy (928 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy

: Can agree to that. Don't see why Iron Man 3 isn't going over alot better. Critics aren't overly harsh on it, but eh.

Yeah, Cap did sell more. Thor, I'm not too sure on. I think in comics term, if we're using the three.

1. Captain America

2. Iron Man

3. Thor [Not always like that].

Yeah, it got pretty good reviews fanboys aside and was the 1st big event film of the year, had strong WOM and it made more than TDKR opening weekend. But that only suggests that the film was more front loaded, though I'm still a little surprised all things considered that it most likely won't make as much money as TDKR. Anyway I'm done here for now, gonna go watch the GOAT show's season finale now (Mad Men) Good argu... debating with you, seriously though I strongly disagree with some of the things you said but I have to give you props I felt it was a good back and forth and enjoyed this.

#72 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless: All of those movies except a few were made decades ago. I was talking about the modern comic movie. Its a different beast then it was back then. As far as the past 5 years or so, yes DC has been cautious compared to Marvel.

#73 Edited by Havenless (1323 posts) - - Show Bio
@redlantern23 said:

And a lot of Marvel's have been bad. FF, Ghostrider, Elektra, Punisher, etc. I'd rather DC be wary and focus on making a few great movies than pump out a dozen and half of them be bad. Hopefully thats what happens.

@havenless: All of those movies except a few were made decades ago. I was talking about the modern comic movie. Its a different beast then it was back then. As far as the past 5 years or so, yes DC has been cautious compared to Marvel.

1. Avengers 8.3

2. Iron Man 7.9

3. X-Men: First Class 7.8

3. Iron Man 3 7.6

4. Iron Man 2 7.1

5. Amazing Spider-Man 7.1

6. Thor 7.0

7. Incredible Hulk 6.9

8. Captain America: The First Avenger 6.8

Now show me the 'half of them are bad' 'as far as the past 5 years of so'.