• 64 results
#1 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

The main role of a hero / heroine is to save people, save the world or catch criminals. So how important is it that they are also Adonis' and Super Models as well? And if it doesn't matter, then why aren't some of them hook nosed, balding or size 18?

#2 Posted by DarthT0n3h (21 posts) - - Show Bio
 The Thing
 spawn       
 Abe Sapien
#3 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

Gorgeous. 
#4 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate metamorpho for the way he looks, but no super heroes/villains dont have to look good...unless they're women j/k

#5 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

#6 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

it's not the most important factor, as you said in the op, their main role is to do good . 
But if they're good looking, it's just a bonus (;

@GreenLantern555
said:

"
Gorgeous.  "
LOL nice .
#7 Posted by King Saturn (223790 posts) - - Show Bio
not always... Swamp Thing looks like a Giant Green Turd but he is a Cool Hero... lmao
#8 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

It just helps with the sales. :/ I know if I see something with Dick Grayson's fine a** on the cover, I'm going to be interested.

#9 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about all heroes but some like Batman and others like him should have fit bodies.

#10 Posted by King Saturn (223790 posts) - - Show Bio
@ragdollpurps said:
" It just helps with the sales. :/ I know if I see something with Dick Grayson's fine a** on the cover, I'm going to be interested. "
heh heh... 
#11 Posted by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of my favorite characters are well ugly.

#12 Posted by Nightshade50 (75 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mighty Thorion: 
Outside World: To sell comics probably 
Inside the comics: Caring about their public image? 

Ofcourse there are ugly heroes, but I think he means the majority.
#13 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

I know there are certain heroes who are ugly (see above examples!) but there are loads of heroes who have film star looks; Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Hal Jordan (Based originally on a young Paul Newman!) Peter Parker (and if he's a wimp, how come he lands the likes of MJ, Gwen & Black Cat?) & many more. None of whom have crooked noses or receding hair lines.

As for the heroines, well there aren't too many plain Jane's there are there? I mean, Supergirl, Black Cat, Black Canary, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Zatanna (the list could go on) could all just as easily adorn the comic book catwalk as become heroines.  

Please note that I am not complaining about this, and if I were ever in a hole and one of the above mentioned females came to pull me out, I would be more than happy about it! Just askin' the question, that's all!

#14 Posted by King Saturn (223790 posts) - - Show Bio
alrighty... no problem
#15 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarthT0n3h said:
"
 The Thing
 spawn       
 Abe Sapien
"
What? Ben Grimm is a hunk!
#16 Posted by Multiverse (276 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69 said:
"

i hate metamorpho for the way he looks, but no super heroes/villains dont have to look good...unless they're women j/k

"
For fun I decided to search through members of the Justice Society, Justice League, Teen Titans, Green Lantern Corps, Legion of Superheroes, Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Avengers to see what I could find in the way of unattractive female superheroes. Below are pictures of several characters I found: 

#17 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the exact same reason models and actors are usually good looking.  It's a media thing, not a comics thing.

#18 Posted by danhimself (22270 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" It's the exact same reason models and actors are usually good looking.  It's a media thing, not a comics thing. "
exactly...comic books are a visual medium so they have to be visually appealing
#19 Posted by Multiverse (276 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @Green Skin said:
" It's the exact same reason models and actors are usually good looking.  It's a media thing, not a comics thing. "
exactly...comic books are a visual medium so they have to be visually appealing "
I once did some comparisons of height and weight among the top ten of the Miss USA pageant. I found that there was very little difference in height or weight among the top ten contestants. Obviously, Miss USA is not necessarily the best example of attractiveness standards. However, it does raise an interesting question: Do we need broader standards of physical attractiveness?
#20 Posted by danhimself (22270 posts) - - Show Bio
@Multiverse said:
" @danhimself said:
" @Green Skin said:
exactly...comic books are a visual medium so they have to be visually appealing "
I once did some comparisons of height and weight among the top ten of the Miss USA pageant. I found that there was very little difference in height or weight among the top ten contestants. Obviously, Miss USA is not necessarily the best example of attractiveness standards. However, it does raise an interesting question: Do we need broader standards of physical attractiveness? "
that may be the case but the media will always define what is and what is not attractive
#21 Posted by Multiverse (276 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @Multiverse said:
" @danhimself said:
" @Green Skin said:
I once did some comparisons of height and weight among the top ten of the Miss USA pageant. I found that there was very little difference in height or weight among the top ten contestants. Obviously, Miss USA is not necessarily the best example of attractiveness standards. However, it does raise an interesting question: Do we need broader standards of physical attractiveness? "
that may be the case but the media will always define what is and what is not attractive "
I tend to think that your point is only partially true. The media certainly presents people/characters one may find attractive such as beauty contestants, entertainers, and superheroes. The media even gives its opinion on who one should find attractive (e.g., red carpet fashion commentary). However, it is up to the individual to decide what they will be attracted to.
#22 Posted by csimon (2110 posts) - - Show Bio

The Toxic Avenger
#23 Posted by DarthT0n3h (21 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mighty Thorion: hellboy has a receding hairline
#24 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't HAVE to be good looking, but it does change their dynamics in presentation. 
The less appealing a hero is visually, the more difficulty they face gaining trust and support from their surrounding cast of characters, readers, etc. I'm sure no one is going to complain having their life saved by say 'Swamp Thing', but they are going to have a different reaction than if it's Superman. That's human nature that kind of makes things that way.

#25 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't have to be, but it helps. :P
#26 Posted by realsilverjunk (334 posts) - - Show Bio

They have to be cool looking, nobody wants a goof as a hero. That's more like a sidekick. Like Dynamo mutt. 

#27 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@realsilverjunk said:
" They have to be cool looking, nobody wants a goof as a hero. That's more like a sidekick. Like Dynamo mutt.  "
oh man did I like Dynomutt though :)
#28 Posted by realsilverjunk (334 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh? Then I stand corrected!

#29 Posted by WarChild (716 posts) - - Show Bio

No But They Should Be Green
#30 Posted by Tonystarkbuttherapper (295 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of these examples of ugly heroes are just freaky alien genotypes and shouldn't really count.

#31 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tonystarkbuttherapper said:
"Most of these examples of ugly heroes are just freaky alien genotypes and shouldn't really count."

gotta disagree the hulk can be hot
#32 Posted by Japeto (115 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't have to be good looking, they have to be interesting wich is waaaaaay more difficult. If they are both aka Scarlet Witch then that's great!

#33 Posted by Girth (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of my favorite heroes & villains don't look "normal".

Clayface

#34 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

sometimes they do it for fames, fortune and women, but others like batman don't take things the way they are.
#35 Posted by d0npierre (399 posts) - - Show Bio

If I am, why can't they :)

#36 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

You ain't gotta be pretty to save folks

#37 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, that's what real life is for.

#38 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

There sure are some ugly police. :p 

@danhimself said:
that may be the case but the media will always define what is and what is not attractive. 

Not for me they won't. 

csimon , beat me to Toxic Avenger. :p

#39 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: If you mean a hunk of rock, then you'd be correct.
#40 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@fenixREVOLUTION said:
" @Jotham: If you mean a hunk of rock, then you'd be correct. "
Why you...
#41 Posted by NightFang (9856 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but it helps if most if them were handsome. 

#42 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Multiverse said:
"
"
Yeah, but have you seen her in non-rock form?

Ha-cha-cha-cha!
#43 Posted by Multiverse (276 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: Do you have a thing for Ms. Ventura? You seem slightly annoyed that I included her rock form in my list of not as attractive female superheroes.
#44 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Multiverse said:
" @Jotham: Do you have a thing for Ms. Ventura? You seem slightly annoyed that I included her rock form in my list of not as attractive female superheroes. "
I'm not annoyed, I actually hadn't even seen her in about a decade. I'm just saying that she also has an attractive form.
#45 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: 
#46 Posted by infonation (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

@GreenLantern555: Wait! Does Killowog really count? On his homeworld he's possibly quite handsome! LOL

#47 Posted by infonation (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthT0n3h: That's to make room fo his horns! LOL

#48 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3482 posts) - - Show Bio

@GreenLantern555 said:

Gorgeous.

Come on, now. You know Kilowog's a total player on his home planet.

#49 Edited by acer51 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's what Stan lee had to say on the subject.

#50 Posted by longbowhunter (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole supermodel/hero look has bothered me for a long time. I've got a friend who always goes on about how the New Mutants went from awkward looking kids to average attractive heros.