Do female characters need an edge?

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Crimsonlord53

First let me get this out there I am a jean grey fan who has come to respect emma frost when writing well. Lately I have been going back and looking into why marvel killed jean and it seem,s to me that a lot of people seem to think that jean was a one note character and it was only with the phoenix that jean became more.

So dose this mean all female character,s need an edge a non traditional job a sordid history is the good woman behind a great man a dated concept is sue storm next on the chopping block?

holaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By holaso

The only edge a female character needs is GOOD WRITER who can give a woman that depth of character!

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CrimsonCake

@Holaso said:

The only edge a female character needs is GOOD WRITER who can give a woman that depth of character!

Like Frank Miller :D

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#3  Edited By BlueLantern1995

@Holaso said:

This

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By evilvegeta74

There are 2 many female characters out there kicking much A--! None of them need an edge.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By tg1982

@Holaso said:

Truth. Case in point, Captain Marvel...I'm really diggin' this title, I think DeConnick is doing a really good job.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Holaso said:

Definitely this!
Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jorgevy

@CrimsonCake said:

@Holaso said:

Like Frank Miller :D

haahhahaha

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lykopis

@evilvegeta74 said:

There are 2 many female characters out there kicking much A--! None of them need an edge.

Like Rogue!

Woohoo!

;p

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@BlueLantern1995 said:

@Holaso said:

This

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#10  Edited By Teerack

You must be pretty sexist to follow that train of thought.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By papad1992

It's the writer's depiction of that certain character! Like how Remender has fleshed out Psylocke in Uncanny X-Force and interpreted her in his own bad*ss way (that's my opinion!).

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Rumble Man

badassitude and less fanservice

we need more judge anderson/competent types

MissyMoxie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MissyMoxie

Also female characters are a lot edgier in the indies

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#14  Edited By time1

@Crimsonlord53 said:

First let me get this out there I am a jean grey fan who has come to respect emma frost when writing well. Lately I have been going back and looking into why marvel killed jean and it seem,s to me that a lot of people seem to think that jean was a one note character and it was only with the phoenix that jean became more.

So dose this mean all female character,s need an edge a non traditional job a sordid history is the good woman behind a great man a dated concept is sue storm next on the chopping block?

What seems to lets the females down are the writers. They focus all there attention on the males of comics, giving males a stronger purpose, then the females in comics. Which is very strange, cause there are a lot ladies in comics that are very powerful, smart and very useful in a fight.

Just look at the X-Men

Storm

Jean

Emma Frost

Rogue

Psylocke

Rachel

and yet X-Men leadership comes down to Cyclops or Wolverine

With the Avengers it comes down to Iron Man or Captain American, even though they have Scarlet Witch on there team

What Writers need to do, is focus on the ladies more, write more stories for them and create more titles for them, giving them a more of a role in comics.

Just look at the New 52, they have Catwoman, Wonder Wonder, Bat-girl and Batwoman and Birds of preys. All those titles focuses on the ladies. Which is what I think X-Men writers should do.

Jean was killed off cause, Morrison is arrogant twat and very naive. Jean wasn't a one not character, there actually more depth to her character then people actually realise.