Do dead Superheroes sell comics?

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 87

Edited By Liberty

I know the inmate death of a hero will get customers to buy comics for a while because of shock value or maybe the mentality that a book might be worth something. Isn't the result however only short term? The long term result would be that once a hero is dead there are no more stories unless the character is brought back in someway or the occasional flashback. It is for this reason that I believe we see so many stories of heroes dying and coming back. They have to come back in order to sell more books. As I said dead heroes don't sell comics unless your Deadman and now he is not even alive (That is unless something just happened).

I get really annoyed with the deaths in comics not because they have them but because they are so prevalent. You need to have an occasional death to have suspense in stories. To me it seems however that there is an overwhelming number of deaths in the past ten to twenty years. I think it all started with Superman everyone went nuts about his death and then it seem there was a steady inclination in the body count. When Batman died a while ago no one believed it would be permanent. What was the saying the only hero that stays dead is Bucky, and then he came back.

Not just heroes but just people in these universes are slaughtered. It is seeming that all the superheroes are failures. They only seem to stop a villain after they have a large body-count. I like the idea of a hero actually saving lives and preventing death. The argument for these deaths I hear is that it somehow it is more realistic. I would argue that it is less realistic. For starters were dealing in a world with superpowers and magic but with things like time travel, cloning, alternate universes, magic, and gods every reader knows that death is not permanent. How realistic is that.

I could go on forever but let me say one more thing. I am sick of reading about dark brooding heroes. It is becoming that all heroes suffer from horrible tragedies. It works for Batman but for every Batman there needs to be someone who is actually happy. Maybe even enjoying life.

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CylonDorado
@aztek the lost said:
"I believe the saying is "Nobody stays dead except for Bucky, Jason Todd and Uncle Ben"...and Uncle Ben is still dead so there's hope for us all! "

Uncle Ben is Galactus! (Citation Needed)
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Dead heroes aren't interesting, but I find the aftermath to be. Such as Bucky becoming Captain America, Dick becoming Batman, etc.

Dead heroes do sell comics. The issue where they actually died usually gets multiple prints. The aftermath sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. 

To clarify:

@Portrait said:

" Writers need to weigh the pros and cons before they go slaughtering random characters. "

"Con: People will be upset. Pro: We'll make a lot of money. We're going with pro!"
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I buy Captain Marvel comics all the time, and he's been dead for a while.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Liberty
@JediXMan: 

The pros and cons you wrote are perhaps shot sighted.  Is there a long term upswing in comic sales since the early 1990's?  I think we are seeing the same thing in comic we see in most American Business, so focused on the next quarter they loose sight of the lifespan of the company.  How many companies have tanked in the last two years for just that reason?
Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I would say a death will sell a comic quicker than no death.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#8  Edited By AssertingValor

I believe the lack of deaths throughout the 60s-85 got people questioning the mortality of their favorite characters

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Liberty said:

As I said dead heroes don't sell comics unless your Deadman and now he is not even alive (That is unless something just happened).

Being dead is Deadmans' whole thing. He's always been dead really, except before he died, if you know what I mean. Have I misunderstood what you meant?

He came back to life last month, and was then killed again. I imagine he'll be back to his old self soon enough.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By roboadmiral

I would say that they shouldn't kill anyone unless they're will to let them stay dead, but this is comics and that's not happening, so I say don't kill anyone they're not willing to let lie for at least a year.

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Liberty

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Yes I was making a little joke about Deadman. I thought it was funny. =)

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Liberty

@LordMaverick said:

I believe the lack of deaths throughout the 60s-85 got people questioning the mortality of their favorite characters

You are right but now the door has swung the other way. No character stays dead so we still have the question of mortality. I know that Ted Kord is dead now but he will come back. They all do. Vibe for example will be back in his own series in a few weeks. It is serial mortality. Death means nothing in comics. I've gotten so jaded to comic deaths that it doesn't bother me that they died. I am only annoyed that I have to wait years for them to come back.