does it matter if a hero or villain has a nice costume or not

#2 Posted by Onemoreposter (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

nope, not at all, which is why this guy is so popular

#3 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#4 Posted by Army2442 (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

it helps so yes, yes it does.

#5 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14586 posts) - - Show Bio

That is the main thing I like about this guy.

#6 Posted by SoA (4678 posts) - - Show Bio

not really , using wolverine as a example, he was his classic blue n yellow , tan and brown, weapon x look, and x-force (plus 1000 other costumes)

yet my favorite look is him in jeans , wb(or leather jacket with a white tee underneath) , and cowboy hat , its simple and cool

#7 Posted by Serena_Death (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they do even though a lot of costume designs would look sort of weird in real life, they're appealing on paper.

#8 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

In a visual medium? Yeah, costumes matter a whole hell of a lot. Why wouldn't they?

#9 Posted by Killer_of_trolls (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

sometimes, but the character doesn't have to wear it most of the times. I don't think they even need super heros names anymore. Can't remember the last time I heard someone call Reed, Mr.Fantastic.

#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12415 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

In a visual medium? Yeah, costumes matter a whole hell of a lot. Why wouldn't they?

this.

#11 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19889 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion costumes really personalize individual characters.

#12 Posted by Mizz_Coconut (146 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

yeah people recognise someone from the batman bat or the superman S.

For Captain America it was obvious propaganda that gave him is costume and Spiderman is influcned by spiderwebs

#13 Posted by kuonphobos (4775 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, just like in professional wrestling it is the only way to distinguish one character from another on a page. I think if comics had sound then each character would also have a theme song.

I think the reasons so many costumes look like under pants is because early artists were pretty poor and could only draw nudes which the inkers just embellished and the colorists just touched up the "undies" areas and the "boots" area and voila a new character.

I hate comics costumes and appreciate how, through film, many characters are getting revamped, realistic battle suits like with Nolan's Batman. That is the main reason I couldn't stomach the Avengers or Raimi's Spider-man films because it looked like an expensive rehashing of MIghty Morphin Power Rangers.

#14 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

this. it kind of shows there personality a bit

#15 Edited by GillaDro (231 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely. It's part of what attracts people to the character. And it's a big part of the character. Would you like a character if you thought they looked stupid? Do you enjoy looking at things that you find ugly or, boring?

#16 Posted by AverageKoala (238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: Yeah who doesnt know him? its uhhhh, its.... its 3 color mini skirt man... guy mustache.... lol

#17 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kind of a costume hater myself, but I do think they matter.

#18 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@fodigg said:

this.

#19 Posted by Joygirl (18133 posts) - - Show Bio

Costumes? Not necessarily. Ensembles/outfits? Yes, absolutely. If the outfit is a costume, and it is cool, cool. If it is not, and it is still cool, cool.

#20 Posted by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

They matter alot despite what people here might say the only reason they don't matter to people here is because they know the characters well but if you are a layman and don't know much a cool costume could easily peak your interest

#21 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Outfits are more important than costumes.

Outfits can be:

regular clothes

costumes

armor

protective gear such as space-suits conforming to an ensemble the character has established (like Batman with bats, or Superman's S)

In other words, costumes do not a superhero make. Recognizable motif throughout his wardrobe is what makes them "super", by giving people the notion that they're somehow special and associated with something (Batman is associated with bats, darkness, stealth, technology, strength, etc., all of which is easily recognizable if you pay attention to how he looks at almost any given moment. That's what makes him super; perception.)

#22 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it does.

#23 Posted by PowerHerc (80707 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, costumes matter.

#24 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, or would you want to see Superman fighting aliens in t-shirt and jeans?

#25 Posted by kuonphobos (4775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shotgun said:

Yes, or would you want to see Superman fighting aliens in t-shirt and jeans?

That would be awesome in my opinion. Then I wouldn't laugh at him. =)