Do comics deconstruct comics to much?

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

I understand the appeal of having a comic that deconstructs comics, but it seems like there is a bit of an over saturation these days of comics that analyze comics (The Fact that The Seven Guns and The Seven were big things within two years of each other kind of illustrates that, IMO)

and then we get Comics like Flex Mentallo: the Man of Muscle Mystery where it's just a commentary on comics in general, interspersed with an essentially unconnected plot. I mean, there is no reason why the ranting could not have just been an article or novella.

Don't get me wrong, I love stuff like Watchmen and Kick-Ass(the comic, not the movie, but more of that later), but I feel like comics just try to hard to analyze comics these days; and I feel like what needs to be said about the big two has already been said, Independent Comics really don't need to try this hard to make observations about mainstream comics

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah I kind of agree. Maybe now we should have comics that critique the industry, i.e business, creators and editors and actual companies instead of just content and characters. For example, a comic-article (need to come up with a better portmanteau word) that tries to examine why a certain company has been dropping creators like flies in the last year or so or why respected comic writers would spout near misogynistic nonsense from time to time. When I say comic-article, it's something new I've been thinking of, like an academic article that has been illustrated like a comic. It's got blurbs of exposition on the panels and all. What the illustrations would be, I don't really know but it would be interesting to explore in my opinion.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cause it sells? Both Kick-ass and Watchmen are probably one of the biggest "superhero" comics outside of the big 2's universes.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: true, but do you think the field is oversaturated?