Do Comic films need to leave America?

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I, like many others round the world I'm sure, am fed up of every alien race attacking America (Or recently London, and Greenwich lol) every superhero being American and the general lack of foreign places in American films...

So, if Marvel or DC did set a superhero film outside of America with a non American hero, who would you like to see?

I'm going to say Spider Woman, but with the addition that they make Jessica Drew from Sheffield, with a thick accent ;) that would be awesome.

But who are your favourite non American heros?

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hercules.

Blade.

Captain Britain.

Sunfire.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gimme Brian Braddock having a sparring session with Steve Rodgers in London and kicking his butt, while Trevor Slattery watches it on TV in prison.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By waezi2

Marina from Alpha Flight.

No Caption Provided

Does Canada count as America?

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: don't think Canada should be counted as America, while it's part of the Commonwealth so I think it's differences to America will remain... But I guess it's up to opinion.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MakkyD

Banshee...with a proper Irish accent and not the stereotypical crap.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman he's from krypton

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reaverlation: But the alternative universe Superman: Red Son where he was brought up in soviet Russia, that would be amazing :D

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@reaverlation: Raised in the US, with a US accent, US parents and a US passport.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#16  Edited By AssertingValor

What's wrong with films and characters being in America? This is where writers conceived them. And besides I can think of dozens of non American locations that have been in our films as well as non American actors

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hellboy went to Northern Ireland. Iron Man went to Afghanistan. Hulk went to Brazil.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Locations can be all over. But they are just places to visit, there is nothing wrong with it all being American, if that's what you like. Personally I don't like it, so prefer films like the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy, it's not like there is no Choice... The Night Watch and Day Watch films were amazing. It is up to Countries to make great films set outside the USA if Hollywood doesn't. But that's not the point, would comic films bennifit by showing the world to be bigger then America and some nice vacations? And if so where would you like one set and would you like a non American hero? Personally I liked Captain America, because it didn't make out WW 2 was America vs Nazi Europe and cleverly also had Captain America sat on the sidelines till the war was nearly over hehe great film, look forward to the sequal.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both thor and the wolverine aren't american nor did their new movies take place in america at all. Chill out.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think in almost every comic movie the characters visit someplace outside the US. I don't think the OP was paying attention.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MarlboroMan

@goobot said:

Both thor and the wolverine aren't american nor did their new movies take place in america at all. Chill out.

Also Blade 2

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ChildoftheAtom

@hillbillymorangie: u should get into x-men. They have guys and gals from every corner of the world.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@hillbillymorangie said:

(Or recently London, and Greenwich lol)

Recently? New York, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Paris are hotspots for alien attacks.

Also, Marvel and DC have other teams. Let's not forget Excalibur, where Shadowcat and Nightcrawler hung out for awhile. And let's not forget Psylocke: a Brit in the body of a Japanese woman (depending on the version). Nightcrawler himself is German. Magneto is Jewish man who grew up in Nazi Germany.

The X-Men, and their affiliates, are probably the most diverse team in comics. They have tons of international and some alien characters in their roster.

@hillbillymorangie said:

So, if Marvel or DC did set a superhero film outside of America with a non American hero, who would you like to see?

Wolverine is from Canada. The Wolverine takes place in Japan.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Wolverine

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I do get tired of everything being America-centric. I'm hoping if this Constantine show gets off the ground they don't place him in America.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wolverine didn't even have a scene in the US

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#27  Edited By AssertingValor

@oscars94: Hellboy also went to Russia in the first film.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

I would like to see Wolverine have adventures in Canada and I would like to see Colossus' adventures in Russia.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tupiaz

On the one hand you can't really blame American movies for taken place in America (movies will often take place in the land they are produced). On the other hand it is also tiring that Americans (well not all but it is a part of the American self-image) think that they are centrum of the universe (no not in a astronomical sense). It is especially visible and tiring in American pop culture.

@goobot said:

Thor did take places in US (at least the part that took place on Earth) and it is so stupid it should be taken place in Scandinavia. Why on Earth would Thor be in the US? He is a Scandinavian god. The same goes for Hercules. What is he doing in the us when he should be in Greece?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I support an Alpha Flight movie :)

On topic, as a non-American, it does annoy me that Hollywood presents itself as a global entity, but their movies are largely made to appeal to an (white, male, hetero) American audience. However, I've pretty much accepted that the major studios are Xenophobic (but they still enjoy our money) and that isn't going to change for decades.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre n52 Authority

SteelofValyria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SteelofValyria

I get annoyed with movies only showing what happens in the US when there is a global threat. What's more, is that I've found it gets rather ridiculous to think that only Americans would come up with the solution to the problem. Now, I'm not saying that always happens. But, it does get ridiculous. As a side note, I'm American, too.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#34  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JulieDC

I can't think of any foreign heroes that really interest me. I am assuming Alfred Pennyworth and Superman don't count. Honestly, I actually don't have a problem with works being American centric especially since they were made by Americans and are mainly geared towards American audiences in the first place. Just like I expect British works like James Bond and Harry Potter to maintain their culture with pride. Never really cared for globalizing heroes and de-emphasizing their culture as if its something to be ashamed of. However, I'm perfectly fine with using different settings if the plot actually calls for it, I would just hope writers don't fall into that easy, predictable trap of using it as an opportunity to insult America. It always rubs me the wrong way when heroes are used to make political statements.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

mi13/excalibur (no x-men : kitty, nightcrawler) or a black panther movie.